• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You got Boost Power! An F-Zero Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I read somewhere that she was based off of Samus.
Now that you mention it she does look very similar to Samus from the NES game.
[collapse=Images]

[/collapse]

I don't see the problem in making her different from Zero Suit Samus. Just because they're both women from a futuristic game. That's like having a problem with Marth and Ike because they're sword wielders from a fantasy game. I actually could see Jody more like a futuristic Snake.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Now that you mention it she does look very similar to Samus from the NES game.
[collapse=Images]

[/collapse]

I don't see the problem in making her different from Zero Suit Samus. Just because they're both women from a futuristic game. That's like having a problem with Marth and Ike because they're sword wielders from a fantasy game. I actually could see Jody more like a futuristic Snake.
She obviously wouldn't wield a plasma whip because I'd highly doubt there were weapons of that kind in her world.

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
If Jody Summer got in I think she would play like ZSS, but with more physical attacks and probably wouldn't have a gun.

D

Deleted member

Except that it's NOT all what Black Shadow is. If you read my thread about him, you'd know that.
I understand that there is more to Black Shadow than just that. What I'm saying is that there is no purpose for adding him in if all he's going to be is basically a Falcon clone just so that Ganondorf can get his own move set.

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
I understand that there is more to Black Shadow than just that. What I'm saying is that there is no purpose for adding him in if all he's going to be is basically a Falcon clone just so that Ganondorf can get his own move set.
So... If Black Shadow got in with a completely balanced and unique non-cloned moveset, you'd be all for him ?

D

Deleted member

So... If Black Shadow got in with a completely balanced and unique non-cloned moveset, you'd be all for him ?
I probably wouldn't care for his inclusion much then since I'd much prefer Samurai Goroh, but I would accept him if he had his own play style like he should, not just a modified Ganon-clone play style.

Tweezer Salad

Smash Apprentice
F-ZERO character discussion

the f-zero games are home to many unique and crazy characters, and sadly only one has ever appeared playable in Smash Bros. Who do you think would be good characters in smash bros?

Samurai Goroh
captain falcon's rival, been there since the begining. Appeared in the opening to Melee, and was an assist trophy in Brawl.
The only character besides Falcon to get some good reconition in smash. A fan of swords, sunglasses, and pink paint jobs. Would make a good sword character in smash.

I'm gonna be honest here though, I really think they are gonna have to give this guy a serious design make-over if they want to make him playable. He just looks a bit too....goofy. I cant put my finger on it but simply giving his already existing design just with enhanced graphics isnt going to cut it. This guy could look awesome though. I say they could still keep his trademark japanese features, but maybe make him look a little more like Antonio Guster. Imagine Samurai goroh with a long brown duster coat and sword. I know I may sound harsh, but I really see potential in this guy, he just needs some help.

here's a comparison

Black Shadow
The prince of darkness....and tight rubber outfits. Also not Batman.
A major villain in fzero. For years theres been chit chat about giving Ganondorf's moveset to this guy, and to be honest I can easily see it working. But at the same time, its just so damn predictable. But I guess I could handle it. Supposed to be the ultimate evil dude, that is untill FZERO GX when a new villain comes along and makes this guy look like a sissy. (seriously, go play fzero gx story mode and listen to how this guy laughs, its hilarious)

Deathborn
The true TRUE king of evil. And king of epic theme songs.
Even if he's pretty much a misplaced Power Ranger's villain (right down to the lord zedd voice) this guy is wicked and could easily appear in smash. I guess the slow ganon moveset could work, but this guy seems like he'd be capable of something much different.

those 3 are the top contenders that I believe have the most chances to get in, but feel free to discuss the other pilots in the fzero series and how they could play in smash bros.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I vote Samurai Goroh. I was dissapointed that he wasn't in brawl.

:phone:

grizby2

Smash Lord
i think goroh would fit well.
while C. falcon has that American-esque look, goroh is all out japanese.
there! we got some east and west harmony goin' on there :]

part of me wants him to use the sword only half of the time. maybe he can keep that sword of his sheathed while not using it?

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
I've said it once, I'll say it again; and willing to say it forever

Black Shadow with an original/inspired moveset

Just like how Captain Falcon's moves took inspiration from Kamen Rider; Blach Shadow will get inspiration from Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman moves. I was thinking he could borrow moves not just from one wrestler (i.e. Buffalo man) but rather a mix of some other wrestlers. Of course, said moves may and may not be altered to accommodate Black Shadow's personality.

This could be his final smash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTeop14C3wI

And if I recall correctly in F-Zero GX; he puts a "chain" around captain falcon as well. So this would work perfectly in that respect~

EDIT: FOUND IT ^ http://youtu.be/6v_iJJ03bAU?t=25s

Why not? Sakurai loves Kinikkuman/ultimate muscle. You know you want it :awesome:

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
How do we know he loves it, exactly?
Was just an idea to throw out there to the rest of the guys. Through his twitter updates; I found out he's a fan of a couple of things such as Speed Racer, Jojo, Kinikkuman, etc. And since everyone talks about Black Shadow's move-set dilemma; why not give him something inspired from another thing?

Likelihood of that happening is rare; but not impossible :troll:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I'd love to play as Samurai Goroh. So my vote goes to him. I actually grew to like him over time and I think it would be cool to see Goroh and his rival, C. Falcon, duke it out. But this guy comes a close second...

Mr. Zero!!

Behold the power of the official F-Zero announcer! Run around and interview the Smash fighters! Get their autographs too! Will you be able to out announce the Super Smash announcer?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I prefer katanas and the longer tenured character, so my vote goes Samurai Goroh.

Still, I don't expect F-Zero character not named Captain Falcon to be playable. There's good odds of me being right IMO, which is sad, but most likely an inevitable reality IMO.

D

Deleted member

I'm starting to support Black Shadow more since I started watching the anime.

There was for a while that I supported him over Goroh. It's back.

Spire

III
BRoomer
This is what I'd like to see happen:

A new F-Zero is secretly being developed for the Wii-U with a robust story involving Captain Falcon and a new rival. Whoever that new rival is: put them in SSB4. No Goroh, Black Shadow, or Deathborn, though above the rest of the racing staff, they appear most apt to fight. We've literally seen Goroh fight in Brawl, and Black Shadow shares dark space magic with Deathborn. Only problem I really see with Goroh is the fact that Takamaru has a 100% greater chance of getting in, and he's already a samurai. Sakurai wants diversity, so he won't add two samurai, especially when one of them is a secondary F-Zero rep.

Until F-Zero evolves as a franchise, I doubt it'll ever get much more recognition in Smash. At least it was featured in Nintendo Land.

DarkAres

Smash Rookie

While not a big enough F-Zero fan to know a specific other character I want, I definitely think the series deserves a second rep. And all I know is Black Shadow is popular and could be used to recreate the famous Falcon Punch scene from the anime, so he gets my vote.

HarryTheChin

Smash Ace
I'm sure that Captain Falcon will be returning to this game, but I would really like to see another F-Zero make it into the game as well. The two most popular character choices seem to be Black Shadow and Samurai Goroh and they both have two strong merits for inclusion.

Black Shadow: The main possibility I see from most people is that he takes Ganondorf's moveset so that Ganondorf can get a new one based on his in-game abilities. I would love to see this personally, because Ganondorf has the potential for a much better moveset than his current one, and if Black Shadow took the current moveset it would spare Ganondorf mains (probably those who like a challenge by playing as the lowest-tier character) the loss of the character they're used to. If Sakurai thinks in this way, then this is definitely a strong merit to his inclusion. The other one is that he appears to be Captain Falcon's archenemy, and a major figure of evil in F-Zero. While Samurai Goroh is a good rival for Falcon, he isn't purely evil and doesn't seem to have quite as much importance in the games.

Samurai Goroh: One merit that he has is his unique moveset potential. While he is another sword user which this board seems to hate the idea of, the combination of his sword skills coupled with some fire-based attacks (Fire Stingray is his car after all) and the raw strength of his body could make him a more interesting fighter compared to Black Shadow who would work better as a slower, stronger Captain Falcon. His second merit is that he was one of the four original F-Zero racers, a status that could be seen as making him more iconic than Black Shadow who appeared later on. As far as likelihood goes, I would say that he has the advantage because he was also already included as an assist trophy in Brawl, which means that Sakurai could have a preference for Goroh over the other racers.

I would like the inclusion of both, but with the apparently limited new spots I would still like to see just one. I would also like to see Jody Summer, but she's clearly less requested and less likely than the other two. Still, I ultimately just hope that F-Zero gets more than just Captain Falcon again. Between Goroh and Black Shadow, which one would you prefer to see?
Thoughts?

FiDeL

Smash Rookie
Saddly i think that another characters isn't really likely, but i still wish for it, i'm a huge fan of the f-zo franchise.

but.to anwser you question, I think goroh have better chance, but my vote is going to Blavk shadow, and i'm agree with you that he could have Ganondorf's moveset and give a total refresh to Ganondorf, Shadow in the game or not, ganondorf must have new moves.

And if i can have a different choice of this 2 characters, maybe Pico have a verry little chance because he looks cool, but I really wish for Phoenix, i know it's not gonna happen, but with his style he could be incredible, in the style of a comic book characters inspiration like Red from wonderful 101 or viewtiful joe, 2 characters that are third party, so phoenix can be a good alternative of these characters but in the nintendo library. I see the ''POW'' or the ''BOOM'' appearing everytimes he hit someome, it would be nice.

Dreaming it's cool, but deceiving :)

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I think Black Shadow has literally the dumbest villain design I've ever seen in a Nintendo game. That being said, I'm a big supporter in him taking him coming on and taking Ganondorf's punchy moveset. Also, I just think having the series villain is usually more important than adding secondary characters.

(but the arguments for Samurai Goroh are pretty solid.)

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I never understood why people want Black Shadow just to declone Ganondorf. Why not just declone ganondorf and throw the old moveset away?

Goroh is the only one I think has a possible chance at being in the game, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I never understood why people want Black Shadow just to declone Ganondorf. Why not just declone ganondorf and throw the old moveset away?

This!

I have nothing against people who legitimately want Black Shadow because they actually like him and want him in because they actually want him and all. But I honestly don't understand why people want him just so they can shove Ganondorfs old moveset down his throat. Just give Ganondorf an original moveset and let his old cloned moveset rot in a pit for all eternity if you ask me.

It's probably one of the reasons why I'd much rather have Samurai Goroh in Smash Bros.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
This!

I have nothing against people who legitimately want Black Shadow because they actually like him and want him in because they actually want him and all. But I honestly don't understand why people want him just so they can shove Ganondorfs old moveset down his throat. Just give Ganondorf an original moveset and let his old cloned moveset rot in a pit for all eternity if you ask me.

It's probably one of the reasons why I'd much rather have Samurai Goroh in Smash Bros.
Cuz they're afraid "the new Ganon" won't keep the Stomp, iDA, and Tipman (maybe not even the Flame Choke).
So with Black Shadow keeping those moves safe and sound, players still have access to those lovable moves.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Cuz they're afraid "the new Ganon" won't keep the Stomp, iDA, and Tipman (maybe not even the Flame Choke).
So with Black Shadow keeping those moves safe and sound, players still have access to those lovable moves.

Oh boy. So I guess some people can't make up their minds to whether change his moveset entirely or keep it so they resort to recycling it on someone else. Yay. :rolleyes:

Sebz

Luchador Extraordinaire
Gotta go with BS. More villains is always nice, and IIRC he has a loud base in Japan that even wants the seiyu from the cartoon to come back to voice him.
Also, we would need a Pink Shadow to match Pink Falcon, and that would me FAAAABUUUULOUSSSSS!

grizby2

Smash Lord
samurai goroh has my vote.

C. falcon looks so American and goroh is flat out Japanese. its an "east meets west super smash fest~"

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Mostly, the thought is that throwing Gdorf's current moveset onto someone else for whom it makes sense (Black Shadow) would keep everyone happy.
Some people like Ganondorf's old moveset, some people want him to represent his appearances better.

So, yeah, people can't make up their minds, but might as well try to please as many people as possible, yeah? Some people would hate it if his old moveset was just tossed away.

Besides, do other movesets work for Black Shadow much better than Ganondorf's current moveset? I think it'd fit him really well.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Black Shadow, easily. He's the most notable villain F-Zero has ever had, plus the scariest racer: in GX, Black Bull is one of the best machines in the game, his AI is stronger than any other, and he's the boss of the most difficult race in the story mode. He's also the main villain of the anime, and enjoys a lot of popularity in Japan thanks to his voice actor. Sure, his character design is pretty ridiculous, but that's F-Zero in a nutshell, plus I think that would just make him all the more iconic to Smash fans being introduced to the character (much like Falcon in 64 with his ridiculously loud/flashy style). That he is a perfect home for Ganondorf's old moveset (which I personally like and would hope stays around) is just icing on the cake.

On the flip side, there's Goroh. What's notable about him? Well, he was in the original four, plus he was an assist trophy in Brawl, so that helps for sure. On the other hand, from my biased GX point of view, his machine is one of the worst in the game, his AI is also among the worst, he's the boss of one of the easiest story chapters, and he generally comes off as a joke of a character who isn't very competent. As for using a katana, isn't that why everyone wants Takamaru? If they were to add fire just because he pilots Fire Stingray, why not Roy? I don't see what makes him so special moveset-wise, at least compared to other popular picks.

To be honest, I kind of don't want to see a second F-Zero character at all for SSB4. The franchise has also been dead outside of Japan since GX nearly a decade ago, and dead there since Climax almost nine years ago. The time just isn't right for more F-Zero representation. Still, should we get so lucky, make it Black Shadow. An easy late inclusion with a built-in moveset and plenty of notoriety within the franchise to deserve the spot. Goroh, by comparison, is too much work for a character that just isn't that interesting or even that important to the series.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
And let me add-- I do genuinely like Black Shadow as well. His design is dopey, but purposefully so, it seems. Everything about him is comically evil in a hugely exaggerated way. His costume's silly, his name's ridiculously cliche, and people literally quake in their boots when he's around. There are a number of reasons why I'd personally want him in over Samurai Goroh, and him inheriting Ganondorf's punchy moveset is just one of them.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I think there is demand for another character, just no one wants those characters. The other issue may be that there hasn't been a game in years. But we'll see I guess. I do think people will be happy with another F-Zero character.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
Samurai Goroh's been spruiked as the second in line since Melee, and appearing as an assist trophy in Brawl would all but confirm he's at the top of the F-Zero list. I'd still be surprised if the franchise got another rep, though.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don't see F-Zero getting another rep. It just isn't necessary to give a series with zero games in around 10 years a new rep. At least I don't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom