• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"YOU GOT NO STYLE!" The Anthony Higgs 4 Smash Thread! Remember him?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Exactly. And it's been pretty damn quiet for Metroid lately (much like Donkey Kong). So I hope and secretly EXPECT a new game for both series on E3. Possibly with Anthony even.

I'd just die if I hear him say: 'Rememba me?' again, but this time...

WE'LL ACTUALLY REMEMBER HIM!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Honestly wouldn't be surprised if Anthony wasn't in another Metroid or wasn't used again for awhile 'cause of Other M's reception. I like his character though, even if I find him pretty overrated.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, see it like this; if a movie failed, but one actor in this movie played a very good role nonetheless, would the movie industry hesitate to hire this actor for another movie?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Of coarse they would! **** happens all the time for Will Smith for example. :p

Humor is strongly needed. Samus is so serious...

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
So Anthony should be around to lighten her up and make her not so serious a warrior? Humor isn't essentially what she or the series needs. Again, I like Anthony, but I don't want him around again just for the sake of having some forced or shoehorned comic relief.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It doesn't has to feel forced if they write out the story well. It's like saying, yeah I don't want Ganondorf in the next Zelda cause he'll force himself at the badguy in the story.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
So Metal Gear Solid is a bad game? It's in 3D, and it uses a D-pad.

(I don't like Other M either, I just don't see why using a D-pad is a point against it).
MGS always used a analog stick. I don't think there was ever a game where you used a D-pad to control Snake.

It doesn't make sense, which is why Team Ninja didn't want to do it.

This.

Smashchu.

Melee had flawed.

Brawl was flawed.

Are they bad games?
There is a difference between having flaws and being flawed.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
MGS always used a analog stick. I don't think there was ever a game where you used a D-pad to control Snake.
Original PSX version used the D-pad because the original controller didn't HAVE analog sticks. You could control it with the left stick on the dualshock, but it plays just fine without it.

Edit: Other M has much bigger problems that the controls. Remember, SmashChu, you can dislike a game and still find good things about it(and vice versa). IMO the controls weren't bad.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Being flawed implies it has flaws, so no. There's no difference.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
It doesn't has to feel forced if they write out the story well. It's like saying, yeah I don't want Ganondorf in the next Zelda cause he'll force himself at the badguy in the story.
Thought you would resort to an unrelated example like that :laugh:, but still disagree. If the story's written out well though then yeah I wouldn't mind it as far as Anthony.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Anthony was the only appealing character in Other M for me. He actually was the first one to actually try to hurt Ridley instead of Mrs. Scary Panties Aran. -_-

Anyways, he'd be the perfect Metroid DLC character in Smash. He's the closest thing to War Machine in a Nintendo game minus the jets and bodily weapons.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Being flawed implies it has flaws, so no. There's no difference.
Having flaws means you have imperfections. Like buck teeth.

Being flawed means you are a dang flaw. Being flat out ugly. That is the difference.

Other M is bad on many levels.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Being flawed means you are a dang flaw. Being flat out ugly. That is the difference.

Other M has it flaws. But it got many things right.

It is not ugly, it simply has buck teeth. :troll:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Um...no. No, that's not what it means. Being flawed is the same thing as having flaws.

From Google:
1. (of a substance or object) Blemished, damaged, or imperfect in some way.
2. (of something abstract) Containing a mistake, weakness, or fault.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
He's also black. That's always a plus... you know, diversity and stuff.

That's just a sad reason..... Smash doesn't need to be PC....

Isn't Ganondorf black? Or is he considered Arabic?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
What does being black mean for Anthony as a character other than that he probably loves fried chicken?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

So being ugly makes you a bad person? :smirk:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Keep the stereo types out of here please. Racism isn't cool or funny in any kind of way.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Um...no. No, that's not what it means. Being flawed is the same thing as having flaws.

From Google:
1. (of a substance or object) Blemished, damaged, or imperfect in some way.
2. (of something abstract) Containing a mistake, weakness, or fault.
That's nice you know the definition of "flaw" but that's not relevant to what we're talking about.

"Being" and "having" are two totally different word with different meanings. This is why "having flaws" and being flawed" are different. Understand the words.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
What does being black mean for Anthony as a character other than that he probably loves fried chicken?
Actually, being black doesn't mean that either. Everyone loves fried chicken.

That's nice you know the definition of "flaw" but that's not relevant to what we're talking about.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Flawed or not, Other M is still quite a good game. Not excellent no, but good.

Same way with DK: Jungle Beat. Most hardcore fans hate the game to, but that doesn't mean it's really bad. Well, it's bad that they ignored basically everything that made DK games DK games (far worse than Returns even, which is also guilty to this to a degree) - but still, it's an enjoyable game in it's own right.

Metroid Other M at least amde you feel like you're playing a Metroid game. Sure, it's a bit more quick paced (which I didn't mind at all) but it surely is a Metroid game. And I feel people are over reacting to it's dissapointing quality. :rolleyes:

Really, if you'd be a DKC fan and played Jungle Beat you'd realise that Other M is nothing to really complain about. At least Metroid fans got someone awesome as Anthony ****ing Higgs in what you'd call 'worst Metroid game ever'. :smirk:

And yeah EVERYONE likes fried chicken!

:phone:

Shotguner159

Smash Apprentice
Flawed or not, Other M is still quite a good game. Not excellent no, but good.

Same way with DK: Jungle Beat. Most hardcore fans hate the game to, but that doesn't mean it's really bad. Well, it's bad that they ignored basically everything that made DK games DK games (far worse than Returns even, which is also guilty to this to a degree) - but still, it's an enjoyable game in it's own right.

Metroid Other M at least amde you feel like you're playing a Metroid game. Sure, it's a bit more quick paced (which I didn't mind at all) but it surely is a Metroid game. And I feel people are over reacting to it's dissapointing quality. :rolleyes:

Really, if you'd be a DKC fan and played Jungle Beat you'd realise that Other M is nothing to really complain about. At least Metroid fans got someone awesome as Anthony ****ing Higgs in what you'd call 'worst Metroid game ever'. :smirk:

And yeah EVERYONE likes fried chicken!

:phone:
Other M may have used Metroid characters, but it did not feel like a Metroid game to me. Metroid games let you choose to either rush through areas as quickly as possible, or explore all the nooks and crannies of areas at your own pace. You get neither of them in Other M, where you have to go at the games pace. No speedrunning, no doing your own thing. Then there's the things beyond the un-Metroid like gameplay, like how this Samus is very unlike the one in the other installments in the series, her relationship with Adam can be considered abusive, for a game that's meant to go into Samus' past, the Chozo don't get a mention. Anthony is the SOLE redeeming factor about this game if we consider it a Metroid one.

And I don't like fried chicken.

On-topic, I'd support Anthony only after Ridley.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Keep the stereo types out of here please. Racism isn't cool or funny in any kind of way.
Stereotypes =/= racism,

He deserves to be in a good game. He's also black. That's always a plus... you know, diversity and stuff.
and when one uses something like this as a reason for a character I can't not make some kind of sarcastic/witty reply back. :laugh:

But alright, I'll stop.

He could use it for both I feel.
Still think it would be most fitting for his plasma cannon (or at least the full-powered version of it) to just be a final smash. Swinging it around as a melee attack would be interesting though yeah.

Hey, Returns was excellent.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
That depends, though we're not here to discuss the right or wrong of stereotyping.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
One of the biggest complaints is that it DOESN'T feel like a Metroid game. Metroid is about exploring alien planets with an emphasis on exploration. Except this game DOESN'T let you explore. It will even lock areas off behind you. It's very linear. Even still, your exploring the same three fire, grass and ice worlds. Metroid Fusion had more locations with better variations. Your on a freaking simulation, not a planet. There is a ton wrong with this game. Even if the story was good, it would still be considered bad.

I feel like people defend this game out of fanboyism alone.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
One of the biggest complaints is that it DOESN'T feel like a Metroid game. Metroid is about exploring alien planets with an emphasis on exploration. Except this game DOESN'T let you explore. It will even lock areas off behind you. It's very linear. Even still, your exploring the same three fire, grass and ice worlds. Metroid Fusion had more locations with better variations. Your on a freaking simulation, not a planet. There is a ton wrong with this game. Even if the story was good, it would still be considered bad.

I feel like people defend this game out of fanboyism alone.
Quick question: If this game were not labelled as a Metroid game, would you be as angry about it as you are?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
This is becoming less an Anthony support thread to just another Metroid: Other M argument... >_>

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
This is becoming less an Anthony support thread to just another Metroid: Other M argument... >_>
This happens in every Metroid related thread. It was inevitable to happen at least once.

Anyway, I've heard it suggested that Anthony would be a ZSS clone. Personally, I don't think Anthony should play like ZSS at all. He just doesn't strike me as a quick/nimble character. I'm not sure exactly what his playstyle would be, I just feel he sould be something of a heavyweight.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Yeah, Anthony as a ZSS clone wouldn't do it, especially considering that he's more of a heavy weapon user.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
You know, I honestly think a good model for him might be Snake. Not saying he should be a Snake copy, just that Snake might be somewhat similar.

What weapons should he use? Obv. his plasma cannon(IDK what the proper name for it is) should be part of his moveset, but IMO that seems like more of an FS kind of thing.

Top Bottom