• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

::: Z E R O 2 D ::: -- now with 100% more M3D

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
YAY mac support. glad that people still support it at least a little.
Mac will be the most difficult to support unless I can find some enterprising Mac developers willing to support the project. Fortunately, by using cross-platform programming, Mac should run the game just fine. However, I'll be virtually powerless to offer any Mac-specific tech support.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sure, right on. I'll mirror your platform: Ubuntu / NetBeans.

I've used NetBeans quite a bit, actually. Only for Java though. I really liked it. I hope C++ is as friendly. :)

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Is it possible to code like, bosses?
Instead of having a plain and boring Master Hand?
Most likely. I don't wanna make any premature promises, but based on how the character engine will work, I don't see why not.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Buzz and I have settled on a name for the project. So quick after the announcement, eh. x)

Project PHOENIX will now be named Project Zero2D, reference to the "Zero-to-Death"-Combo, since it uses the Smash Bros. games' rules. It also references the graphic style of the project: 2D.

Also, keep in mind that Project Zero2D has 2 parts!

The actual Zero2D, which is the open source fighter engine - similarily to MUGEN.
And the "official" fighting game that will be based on it, with a completely original roster of characters and stages, as well as a storyline.

But Zero2D will allow you to create your own storylines with your own characters - our version is, as said, just the "official" one, and will most likely get an own name.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I'd be willing to help with character and moveset design in the "official" game, if you need any more people on it. I can't do art, but I can help with other aspects.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Lol, I bet everyone wants to help with the easy stuff like Character Design...they really need coders :x

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Lol, I bet everyone wants to help with the easy stuff like Character Design...they really need coders :x
We always welcome more coders, but I actually welcome all the help in making characters/stages too. It's a lot of work I won't want to do once I get the core operational. XD

Kris121

Smash Journeyman
K then if any one is willing to teach me I would be fine learning how to sprite or code! I really like the idea of this project and would love to join! Also Im all in for character design.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Since you're an admin, can't you make a subforum in this for this project specifically? It'd definitely make it easier to brainstorm things like characters and stages, in that case.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Since you're an admin, can't you make a subforum in this for this project specifically? It'd definitely make it easier to brainstorm things like characters and stages, in that case.
When the time is right, I will consider it. However, I have to play fair. Just because I'm an admin doesn't mean I can just give my project the spotlight.

If the project matures, succeeds, and maintains a loyal following (and this thread bursts at the seams with too many discussions), I can obtain permission to create a new forum (yes, I have bosses, too). :)

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
What about stage hazards? Intro animations? Victory screens?
Those are just called actions/animations. They can be added in easily after the base fighting engine is built.

But yea, Spade, hook me up with the designs after you finish with them and I'll make concept art/sprites for them.

Buzz, I'm going to need you to give me pixel specs. I don't feel like making something too big or too small.

-DD

Unseen_Killa

Smash Apprentice
I'm just giving my seal of approval I guess. This seems really cool, and I'm sure it will turn out amazing. I've always wanted a really good smash type fighter that wasn't smash. I'm also glad about the level of enthusiasm you have.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
If this takes off, I'm so getting Logitech to sponsor it. ^_^
Buzz, I'm going to need you to give me pixel specs. I don't feel like making something too big or too small.
Aim for 125x200 as the standard. sugar and I ran a pixel test, and that size should be good.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
I have one question: Will the game revolve around zero death combos?

That doesn't really make for a well rounded game.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I have one question: Will the game revolve around zero death combos?

That doesn't really make for a well rounded game.
That will not be a design focus, no. Zero-to-death is just an inspirational name, but if you get 02D'd, it'll be a result of your horrible DI.

Eggman

Smash Apprentice
I can't really do much, but I want to help. If needed, I can get some .OGG music files with good quality (not cell phone recorded, as stated earlier) of various games...but that's it. I dunno how to do anything more advanced than simple retrieving and converting. I can also try to help with character concepts (MIKE JONES) if you'd like.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
If this takes off, I'm so getting Logitech to sponsor it. ^_^

Aim for 125x200 as the standard. sugar and I ran a pixel test, and that size should be good.
>.> Whats the plan for the display resolution? 800x600?
-DD

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Whatever the resolution minimum is, players will be able to jump to a higher resolution. Plus, the camera will not be static; there will be plenty of scrolling. :)

GameSystem

Smash Journeyman
Are you going to ask other sites for help or is this just limited to the people from smashboards? I know NewGrounds has a bunch of people who make games and there are a ton of people with experience in making sprites and stuff for their animations and games.

Roy-G-Biv

Smash Journeyman
Is there going to be stamina mode?
Can you change the menu, GUI, select screen, etc like mugen?

Can you make special events happen when a certain character is on a certain stage?
Can you make special intros for certain characters?

Kris121

Smash Journeyman

Can you make special events happen when a certain character is on a certain stage?
WOAH WOAH WOAH there hold your horses there boy! first we gotta make characters and the actual GAME

Just post what you would like to work on!:)

Remember to tell all your friends to come here!

Knightcrawler

Smash Journeyman
If the resolution isn't fixed and the camera isn't fixed, sprites really aren't the way to go unless you use a super-high res sprite. You'll have to use 3D models or else it'll look bad.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
If the resolution isn't fixed and the camera isn't fixed, sprites really aren't the way to go unless you use a super-high res sprite. You'll have to use 3D models or else it'll look bad.
o.o Well, then I guess it'll be important to just use the default settings then.
But really, OpenGL's scaling should work just fine for the job.
-DD

Wavedash Master

Smash Journeyman
This sounds like a really neat idea but the question burning in my mind is that will it be possible to have non-humanoid characters like Centaurs?
We could make any character if we wanted, as long as it didn't get on any copyright issues.

Are we in any need of coders? I could get in my way of learning C++ to help this project (I have 4 fatty books all on C++ collecting dust....... it wouldn't hurt to start reading them). Also, how is this project being approached? (Is the core engine going to developed first or are the characters/stages/menu setup going to be designed first?)

4nace

Smash Ace
Hmm... this is one of the first projects that has actually sparked my interest on these boards.
I've actually coded a smash brothers game in 3 different languages now (most while i was in high school). Actionscript, GML(GameMaker Language) and Java(was very simple).

I'm working on recoding my best attempt right now- here is a video of the gameplay before the recode
Game called Lord of the Smash-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSjY1N2Y0Fo

But, I would definitely be willing to help out on coding ideas, and little snippets. PM me with any questions, but I'm not sure if I would be able to join a full team because my time is pretty limited at school.

I'll keep a very close eye on this though. I'd love to join up at sometime.

- Dan Fornace

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
But yea, Spade, hook me up with the designs after you finish with them and I'll make concept art/sprites for them.

-DD
Thank you! I can send you a PM with the basic descriptions (held a bit general so the artist(s) have more creative freedom) of the 2 first characters (they are Buzz-approved, heehee) - I'm currently brainstorming on the moveset of the first one, so I have no exact moves written out yet, but I think for concept art and basic test sprites (idle stance stuff etc) it should suffice right now.

Question #1: If not in the core engine (I suppose Buzz will put it in, though), you can add it yourself.

#2: Since it's open source, I'm pretty sure you can change that, yes.

#3: I don't know what you mean exactly with that, but again, the code is adaptable to your own personal use. I suppose you mean stuff like Snake's Codecs...?

#4: If you give the characters the needed sprites and edit them in, I'm sure you can.

Just as a reminder to everyone:
We don't need characters or character concepts right now!!

The engine isn't even existant yet, and we first have to make the two basic characters. As soon as these characters are done and I'd be "useless", I will start to write out the storyline and begin with collecting ideas for character concepts. As of now, help in this regard is not needed. I already have set my eyes on a few people I'd like to support me with the concepts later on.

I know many of you guys have good ideas, but I would like to make the roster to be more "natural", if you understand what I mean with that. The roster won't probably be huge like Brawl's, either. Don't expect a sheer mass of characters.

Thanks for all the offers nevertheless.

The good thing about this project is: If your ideas aren't taken into the "official" version, you can add them yourself!!

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Okay, so more networking conundrums. Here is a little recap of what the network architecture looks like right now:

Assume that we have 2 players for the sake of this example, in geographically separate locations.

-Player 1 is the host, Player 2 is a client. This means that Player 1 has the definitive version of the game world. The game itself is being played on Player 1's computer.

-Clients need to send the Host action data only, on a one action = one packet basis. The Host machine then accepts those actions, and makes the opponent's character execute the action.

-The game world needs to be sent back to the Client, however. The most important thing to note here is that the Host cannot send back action packets like the client does. No. Remember that the game is being run on the host machine, so action data is meaningless.

The Host machine will send back world data. It will need to encapsulate every bit of information that the client needs to know for that moment in time, including:

- Exact position and velocity of all characters. (Heisenberg be ****ed!)
- Exact position and velocity of all items / projectiles / other non-player objects.
- Move being performed by all characters, and what frame of the move they are in.

Am I missing anything in the list above? The Host needs to send a copy of the whole world, essentially. I don't think we'll need to send stage data. It should either be static, or dynamic on a timer.

I also would like to suggest that the game be as non-random as possible. That means stage hazards, moves, etc... Should not contain random elements. It really messes up some of these network issues.

But it also means little game engine random elements. Sometimes you'll see random rounding of floating point figures, and stuff like that. If we want to be able to implement replays, the game needs to be completely deterministic.

About replays... This is a pretty easy thing to do, really. You just save the action packets that the host receives (plus all actions the host player does) then stick all that back into the game engine and let her run. We just have to make sure to have the game be completely non-random.

Can we agree to making the game run in 30 frames per second, also?

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Okay, so more networking conundrums. Here is a little recap of what the network architecture looks like right now:

Assume that we have 2 players for the sake of this example, in geographically separate locations.

-Player 1 is the host, Player 2 is a client. This means that Player 1 has the definitive version of the game world. The game itself is being played on Player 1's computer.

-Clients need to send the Host action data only, on a one action = one packet basis. The Host machine then accepts those actions, and makes the opponent's character execute the action.

-The game world needs to be sent back to the Client, however. The most important thing to note here is that the Host cannot send back action packets like the client does. No. Remember that the game is being run on the host machine, so action data is meaningless.

The Host machine will send back world data. It will need to encapsulate every bit of information that the client needs to know for that moment in time, including:

- Exact position and velocity of all characters. (Heisenberg be ****ed!)
- Exact position and velocity of all items / projectiles / other non-player objects.
- Move being performed by all characters, and what frame of the move they are in.

Am I missing anything in the list above? The Host needs to send a copy of the whole world, essentially. I don't think we'll need to send stage data. It should either be static, or dynamic on a timer.

I also would like to suggest that the game be as non-random as possible. That means stage hazards, moves, etc... Should not contain random elements. It really messes up some of these network issues.

But it also means little game engine random elements. Sometimes you'll see random rounding of floating point figures, and stuff like that. If we want to be able to implement replays, the game needs to be completely deterministic.

About replays... This is a pretty easy thing to do, really. You just save the action packets that the host receives (plus all actions the host player does) then stick all that back into the game engine and let her run. We just have to make sure to have the game be completely non-random.

Can we agree to making the game run in 30 frames per second, also?
o.o Non-Random is what Buzz was going for. Its okay if we make it like that, since we're just building the basic parts. Any stage hazards should just be on a timer though.

Good to hear about replays though.

30FPS sounds fine to me.
-DD

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
About people worrying about balance, a very easy solution would to come out with an official package every so often, in which people can submit stages and characters, and the back room would discuss including the character and balancing the character.

If I can suggest a character,

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
About people worrying about balance, a very easy solution would to come out with an official package every so often, in which people can submit stages and characters, and the back room would discuss including the character and balancing the character.

>____>;;

Right, so uh....

For those of you who feel like contributing sprites and don't know how to sprite...follow this tutorial.
http://cardgallery.tales-tra.com/tut.htm

Yes, it is in Spanish. Run it through Google Translator if you really need to.

And just make up some custom characters, or make a Nintendo character, whatever. Your custom character has a higher chance of being used, or of being taken by me and fixed up into something usable.

>_> I'm working on one right now. Sprites this size always take a while. But after the first standing sprite, the rest are simple.

-DD

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Well, you see, the official project is independent from the community's submissions (in terms of custom characters and whatnot). However, there definitely will be official update-packs with new characters/stages during the course of the time.

lol. That looks like a Ronald McDonald doll that lied too long on a heater.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
OK, I'll clarify one thing really quick.

The reason I am not yet accepting everyone's proposals for sprites/art/etc. just yet is that we need to verify that we have good specs for everyone to work with. Spadefox is designing two basic characters for the engine to run tests on. If it turns out our specs are wrong, we only have to redo these two characters rather than having to tell everyone: "Uh, start over everyone. Your sprites won't work." We just want to make sure we can tell you with confidence how big to make your graphics. If you really want to get started right away, I guess you can deliberately make them too big and scale them down when we have some solid numbers.

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
so this is basicly going to be an original customizable smash-like game? this is very interesting. I would love to help with concept art, character design, and attempt at spriting once the project reaches that phase. sadly, I know little to nothing of programming...

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
An IRC room has been added.

The server is irc.acidchat.net. The channel is #zero2d.

Top Bottom