• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

::: Z E R O 2 D ::: -- now with 100% more M3D

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
LOL! Epic. I love the smash saw logo. Remove the black fuzzies around the saw and we're onto something. XD

Kris121

Smash Journeyman
Ok then Mr. Buzzsaw Lol

I'm just starting to learn C++ any tips on where to learn?

Put me as a guy that can help anywhere but mainly Sprite and Character design!

r3d d09

Smash Master
If you need any help. I'm positive my friend will help out. he's developing his own game right now and i believe looking for a break from it. haha. He has mad skills

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Excellent.

I plan on coding right when school ends for me (two more weeks). :(

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Will you be able to post during these two weeks? If not, we'll be happy to keep the discussion around. :)
Of course I can post. I just have to focus on homework 24/7 until finals are over. The good news is that one of my final programming projects overlaps with Zero2D. So, when the time comes, I will not be starting from scratch. I will have a healthy bundle of code to work with. ^_^

But don't let me stop you. By all means, keep the discussion going.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I could probably do character designs and logos. Maybe stories for certain characters.
As of now, we don't need help in these regards - besides this, the backstory to the characters that make it onto the roster, those I'll be making on my own, especially since they have to resonate with the game's storyline. ^.^

Zolga Owns

Smash Lord
Heres mine; Its a WIP.
What exactly do you want on it?

Black BG: http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww110/ZolgaGFX/Zero2DLogoBlack.png

Transparent BG: http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww110/ZolgaGFX/Zero2DLogoTrans.png

Its huge because that makes resizing much easier. ^^

EDIT: And here is is with SubText

Black BG: http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww110/ZolgaGFX/Zero2DLogoSubtextBlack.png

Transparent BG: http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww110/ZolgaGFX/Zero2DLogoSubTextTrans.png
----------------

I do much better when I have an idea of what the person I'm making stuff for wants.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I really like those, Zolga! I'll gladly replace my crappy logo with that.

Let's think up some different subtext, though. While this game is inspired by smash physics, I want to avoid making any explicit references to "smash". "Zero2D" was inspired by a smash community term, but it's not Nintendo's term, and that's what counts. :p

I'm open to ideas.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
how about "free-roam fighter emulation"?
Getting warmer. I also want to avoid the terms "emulation" and "simulation" because this project does neither. It is its own custom engine. It lightly mimics smash physics, but it is in no way a direct 1-to-1 relationship.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
It's basically just using the rules of Smash Bros. (as in, win by KOing your enemy through ring-outs).

GameSystem

Smash Journeyman
Try taking the original title of SSB64 before they put the nintendo characters in. I don't remember what it was but it might fit in.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
It was something like Dragon Warriors, IIRC.

Edit: Kakuto-Gēmu Ryūō (Dragon King: The Fighting Game)

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Okay, heads up from my department - the first character's moveset is almost completed, I have to add the attribute data to them, but otherwise he's pretty much done, at least for the test version's moveset. Him and the second character will have basic movesets that partly are taken from Smash characters, but will recieve more original moves as soon as the bases of the game itself are done. Furthermore, I'm already having a clear concept for the storyline of the "main game", and will probably start to write it soon.

And, since it might interest other people here too, I've got a question from another board I advertised the project in. I can't answer it, so I'll ask in his name:
Which Graphic-API is going to be used?
Will it be only OpenGL, or will it be SDL? SMFL? Allegro?

\o/

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Okay, heads up from my department - the first character's moveset is almost completed, I have to add the attribute data to them, but otherwise he's pretty much done, at least for the test version's moveset. Him and the second character will have basic movesets that partly are taken from Smash characters, but will recieve more original moves as soon as the bases of the game itself are done. Furthermore, I'm already having a clear concept for the storyline of the "main game", and will probably start to write it soon.

And, since it might interest other people here too, I've got a question from another board I advertised the project in. I can't answer it, so I'll ask in his name:
Which Graphic-API is going to be used?
Will it be only OpenGL, or will der be SDL? SMFL? Allegro?

\o/
From what I understand, its only OpenGL.

Which turned my programmer buddy off from helping, because he only likes to work with DirectX9+.

:3

He said something about letting the player choose, I dunno.
-DD

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
From what I understand, its only OpenGL.

Which turned my programmer buddy off from helping, because he only likes to work with DirectX9+.

:3

He said something about letting the player choose, I dunno.
-DD
LOL! You (or anyone else) are morrrrrre than welcome to produce a code fork and produce a DX version. If I do my job correctly, it wouldn't be too hard. With clean object-oriented design, anyone can just replace the graphics rendering aspects, while everything else (the game logic) remains the same.

The plan is this: I will be using SDL because it is one of the more polished 2D libraries at the moment (complete with cross-platform threading and networking). I will evaluate Allegro 5 once it is released (it is a full API rewrite) and probably switch to that (since SDL is no longer updated). Allegro 4 has many problems I'd rather not face right now.

Kris121

Smash Journeyman
This thread needs to be revived.

Buzz how are you doing on the coding? Any major problems?
Spade is the set you are working on done? Is it the fighter or the sword dude?

Should I change the Logo I made?

Lets revive this baby

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
This thread needs to be revived.

Buzz how are you doing on the coding? Any major problems?
Spade is the set you are working on done? Is it the fighter or the sword dude?

Should I change the Logo I made?

Lets revive this baby
Coding is going well. I am doing a project for school at the moment, but much of the code used here will transfer nicely over to Zero2D. :)

If you want to experiment with new logos, go for it!
If you need any testers when the time comes, I'm your guy!
We'll need plenty of testers when the time comes.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
In regards to online play and trying to figure out how to set that up, check out ggpo. Apparently they know how to make 2D fighting work extremely well online.

I would also suggest holding some kind of art contest for the character design of the two generic characters. You might also want to give some important info like:

Is this fantasy, aka medieval'ish with magic, or could this also have futuristic or "magic-technology" going on too? So far there has been no way for anyone to really design a character for you outside of simply saying a swordsman and a martial artist.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Since we don't need any more characters now, of course we won't give you any details about what will happen in the future.

But, to give you as much - the storyline will feature magic and technology in one (with a good explanation why - f*** you, trophies), and the character design has to run through my approvement, anyway (so it fits with the world I'm creating, and into the roster, isn't a concept already in the works and whatnot else).

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
No one can really design characters until the engine is functional, really. I mean, anyone can design characters if they want to right now, but nothing can be done with them until we have an official spec sheet on how custom characters are implemented into the game. This may become very political as I begin opening up the discussions as to what syntax that "character data file" should use.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
I'll finish the basic standing frame tonight. I'll post it in the group...

I'll just need to add the next layer of detail tonight...and then I'll start on the Martial Artist.

Its sorta badly proportioned. So I hope we're not expecting super realism or I have some work to do...like shrink the head...

-DD

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
No one can really design characters until the engine is functional, really. I mean, anyone can design characters if they want to right now, but nothing can be done with them until we have an official spec sheet on how custom characters are implemented into the game.
I should have been more specific, because what I was saying is the design of the character, as in the character art.

So far I haven't heard any talk about the look of the game, the time period it's set in, and etc.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I should have been more specific, because what I was saying is the design of the character, as in the character art.

So far I haven't heard any talk about the look of the game, the time period it's set in, and etc.
Ah, well, I can only answer part of that: in the spirit of smash games, there is no designated time period (unless Spadefox mandates otherwise for a particular roster). I could care less if a pirate fights a robot. As for art specifics, we're holding off briefly simply so I can run some tests on the engine to see what works well. I don't wanna have everyone produce a certain style/size of art only for me to say, "Um, try again. I've changed the specs."

where is the group?

Is on AiB or is on Smashboards
I did make a public AiB group for those interested.

http://allisbrawl.com/group.aspx?id=8773

Zolga Owns

Smash Lord
Question about stages.
Will they be Pixel art or cool digital art-ish?
(Hopes for the second because it would give me something to do)

Red Arremer

Smash Legend

As I already said, we will have magicians fighting robots - and a good explanation why, as well!
There is absolutely no boundary in terms of character art, actually, however, as I already said, if you have an idea, it first has to go to me, so I can say "that's okay" or something.
For instance, if we're having a character using a polearm in the works already, we won't need another polearm-based character (most likely, that is, unless the concept is so good that I wanna expand it).

Currently we're having several artists draw the 2 first characters and will choose the "main" artist for the concept/character art when they're finished, if you want to try, I can send you the descriptions, but don't expect to be definitely taken as official artist. This shouldn't hold you back to draw character concepts, though, if you really want.

Top Bottom