• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

::: Z E R O 2 D ::: -- now with 100% more M3D

4nace

Smash Ace
From what I can gather, the 2 initial characters are just for the testing phase. I wouldn't say it's too much of a long shot to expect a lot more. Now, 10-25frames per attack might seem ideal for details sake, but it would be expensive to produce in your way, and would make it completely inaccessible to your basic fan who just wants to make a character; but will be put off having to do 30animations at 25frames.

You can compare the potential of the community of this to MUGEN. The basic engine was created with only 1 poor character with next to no attacks, and it wasn't long before you could implement just about every character from just about every series.

The engine is the important part. If you build it they will come. :)
Ahh, i figured they would be releasing the engine for fans to start animating characters after they finished the two example ones. Also, yea, 10-20 frames at 30 frames per second sounds like the right amount of frames for an attack. And they would need to be individual frames for the game to look the most fluid. (the official characters that is)
However, fans can easily make 4-5 frames and then stretch the animation to 15-20 frames to make a decent attack that would function in the game world.

Honestly though, for this project i think vector(flash) characters might be your best bet as they are easier to get to match in style sakes (many people pixel very differently). Backgrounds would be simpler and fans would have a much easier time making characters for the game.

Its completely up to you guys though, but continuity is very important for a project like this, and i fear that the game could easily regress into a M.U.G.E.N. Spriter's Resource free for all with jerky animations where your polished characters are the ones standing out like a sore thumb in the fan's roster of over powered and awkward moving fan-boy heroes.

If you guys can come up with any ideas to keep some kind of continuity ie.
1. A template character with lots of attack options that players can sprite on top of or use for size reference, or
2. Some kind of style that is easy to replicate,
then now would be a good time for your artists to think of that before spriting actually begins =).

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
If you guys can come up with any ideas to keep some kind of continuity ie.
1. A template character with lots of attack options that players can sprite on top of or use for size reference, or
2. Some kind of style that is easy to replicate,
then now would be a good time for your artists to think of that before spriting actually begins =).
DX Well, I'm trying a bunch of different spriting styles. This one is more "seriously" shaped, as opposed to my more "chibi" style of my last one.

I'll post it in a bit, finishing the basic stuff first.

-DD

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon

Kkay!

How do the fans like this style?

I didn't fully finish this one either, but depending on which one is the preferred style, I'll remake the "losing sprite" into the style of the other one.
-DD

Psytrese

Smash Cadet
That one is a lot better! This is the kind of style I was expecting! And I notice on the character design he has a scar (I think) on his eye? Definitely put that on the sprite if possible!

The only real problem I see is easy to fix, but his feet are not level. I'm not sure how the backgrounds are going to work so it may be intentional, but if they're just standard 2d platforms, then one foot is going to be hovering above, or stuck below, the ground.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
I stop by here to read up on things, I'd love to learn more about making programs and this is defs a big one, Iam kinda tech savvy and love to work with computers but yeahh anyways! fanboyism time!

this project looks sweet, and the only reason I post now instead of continue to lurk is because of the questiona t hand, which sprite looks better, Definitly the second one. Like WAY better for a fighter game, second one should take the cake.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Ho wow, DD steps it up.

The new sprite looks epic, man. =D FAR better than the first one of Darius.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Ho wow, DD steps it up.

The new sprite looks epic, man. =D FAR better than the first one of Darius.
T~T Fine, no chibi-style for me. I'll just wait until I can make my custom Lucky Star characters.

That one is a lot better! This is the kind of style I was expecting! And I notice on the character design he has a scar (I think) on his eye? Definitely put that on the sprite if possible!

The only real problem I see is easy to fix, but his feet are not level. I'm not sure how the backgrounds are going to work so it may be intentional, but if they're just standard 2d platforms, then one foot is going to be hovering above, or stuck below, the ground.
Its on the to do list :3.

I'll work on Darius v.2 tonight.

Oh, yea...
Spade, does he have a scar or not? So blurreh.

ALSO;
After I finish these two I'm going to work on my character, which is my alter-ego/favorite NPC from my MMO[as in, I made it, and you can go play it now! Legacy Of The Zodiac EX ], the Dark Emperor. Only like, a handful of NPCs are stronger than he is, and he probably has the hardest/longest quest in the game leading up to him.

And hes epic.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Why are you making a whole new engine when you could just tweak Mugen?

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I am utterly confused at the sheer number of people that want this game to be Street Fighter or Marvel vs Capcom. I posted this project on a smash forum, right?

*checks URL*

Samuri Scearious

Smash Rookie
You should change "Rudy Roughnight" to "Samuri Scearious" on the composer part of your first post, Buzz.

Here are three ideas I have for the score so far:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/aheda09/n/Zero2D_zip

The first one is kind of a drum & bass tune, and the other two are slightly reminiscent of old gothic rock music (i.e. The Sisters of Mercy, Rosetta Stone, etc). I decided to keep one style for a few weeks, and then move onto a new style (like lush orchestral stuff a la Advent Rising and FFVIII, medieval stuff like Devil May Cry, Zelda, and Wild ARMs, electronic, ethnic, funk, etc) so as not to lose my momentum with a certain style.
... I hope that made sense.

Anyways, tell me what you think of those three demos, and suggest to me some musical ideas you guys would like to hear.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Sure, I'll make that change.

I don't know if Spadefox passed the word onto you, but I'd like to release all art/music/sound in the game under a Creative Commons license. Basically, it would allow everyone to share your music (even outside the game) and use it provided they give you credit.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
The first one is kind of a drum & bass tune, and the other two are slightly reminiscent of old gothic rock music (i.e. The Sisters of Mercy, Rosetta Stone, etc). I decided to keep one style for a few weeks, and then move onto a new style (like lush orchestral stuff a la Advent Rising and FFVIII, medieval stuff like Devil May Cry, Zelda, and Wild ARMs, electronic, ethnic, funk, etc) so as not to lose my momentum with a certain style.
... I hope that made sense.

Anyways, tell me what you think of those three demos, and suggest to me some musical ideas you guys would like to hear.
DX I love you.
-DD

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Freeeeeeeeeeeak... My school calendar lied to me! I have four days of school left, not three! :C

RandomLax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RelaxBro
3DS FC
3668-7762-8508
Although I'm not sure if the topic has been mentioned,discussed, or considered, and if it has excuse this post, Why not take make a panel of judges and decide who is legal or not and cap the no. at 50,100,etc.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Although I'm not sure if the topic has been mentioned,discussed, or considered, and if it has excuse this post, Why not take make a panel of judges and decide who is legal or not and cap the no. at 50,100,etc.
We will have at least one panel dedicated to the "official roster". Other panels may form for unique alternate rosters. I'm open to ideas. :)

--- --- ---

Here is a quick list of animations each character needs:

GROUND

standing
idle (boredom)*
taunt*
jab (neutral tilt)
forward tilt
up tilt
forward smash
up smash
down smash
grab
up special
neutral special
down special
forward special
jump
crouch
defend/shield
fallen

crouching
down tilt
rise

shielding
roll
sidestep

dash
dash attack
dash grab

pummel (grab hit)
up throw
forward throw
back throw
down throw

AIR

airborne
double jump
wall jump*
up air
neutral air
forward air
back air
down air
down air recovery
air dodge
up special*
neutral special*
down special*
forward special*

tumble/helpless
ceiling tech
wall tech
ground tech
ground tech roll
impact/bounce (?)

ledge hang
climb
climb to roll
climb to jump
climb to attack

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
This sounds like an exciting project.

Is there any room still for artists? I don't mean to create my own designs, but rather to flesh out the ones already discussed and to create sprites for the game. I'd love to help, if you would let me.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
This sounds like an exciting project.

Is there any room still for artists? I don't mean to create my own designs, but rather to flesh out the ones already discussed and to create sprites for the game. I'd love to help, if you would let me.
Everyone is welcome! ^.^
You can see some concept art and sprites for the 2 first characters someplace in the thread. :3

I'll be looking forward to your stuff, and since we gonna need more spriters, anyway, I'm sure you can help us.

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
I could probably draw a sprite sheet, but I have no experience w/ animation. Descriptions+refrence would help, and I'll draw up a quick sample.

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for the low quality, I had to use MS paint because photoshop wasn't formatting right. Its also just a rough sketch to show you my style, it isn't a final completed or clean piece. Let me know if you like it.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I actually really like your style. It looks less cartoony and more brutal. Keep up the good work and you should make some more!

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
Thank you, the cartoony graphics of brawl bother me sometimes. *glares at Toon Link*

And so far they said they only have two characters planned, a martial artist and a warrior.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Hey, shinyspoon. That sketch looks pretty cool! :D

A sprite sheet is good. Descriptions for the moves I can link you to, so far I've only completed Darius' actual moveset. I'll also leave a few things (like the teching and walking and whatnot) open to the sprite artist, except if I have an exact idea on the character's animations. :3

Oh, and I would appreciate if you could refrain from Multiposting - the Edit Button is fine. :)

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
I'm curious, and was wondering about a few things;

How many people per match were you thinking? because the PC isn't limited to 4 controllers like the Wii, so there are possibilities there.

How long do you think it will take to get this game publicly playable? This summer, or sometime next year?

How is this going to be different from Brawl? other than the obvious fact that its sprited and on the PC.

EDIT/response to spadefox

Thanks!

That'd be good, descriptions for what you want will help alot. Which one is Darius?

and sorry, I forgot to just edit. xP

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
How many people per match were you thinking? because the PC isn't limited to 4 controllers like the Wii, so there are possibilities there.
For now, it'll be 2. We probably will have 4, maybe more, it all depends on what Buzz wants.

How long do you think it will take to get this game publicly playable? This summer, or sometime next year?
How long it'll take to run properly.

How is this going to be different from Brawl? other than the obvious fact that its sprited and on the PC.
And not having any copyrighted characters. ;P
It basically takes out the "Party Game"-spirit of the Smash Bros.-series and makes it more competitive (for the official release) as well as open for everyone to add content to (for the engine). Also, good online play, of course. ^.^

That'd be good, descriptions for what you want will help alot. Which one is Darius?
Darius is the Sword Fighter. Shun is the Martial Artist. I'll send you a PM with links after sleep. :3

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
For now, it'll be 2. We probably will have 4, maybe more, it all depends on what Buzz wants.
Okay, I was hoping for 2, its just the most legit way to play competitively.

How long it'll take to run properly.
I'm just eager to actually play this as soon as possible. :bee:

And not having any copyrighted characters. ;P
It basically takes out the "Party Game"-spirit of the Smash Bros.-series and makes it more competitive (for the official release) as well as open for everyone to add content to (for the engine). Also, good online play, of course. ^.^
Oh, so the entire roster is going to be new?
And I hope its at least partially sealed in the spirit of competition, otherwise some ridiculous matches will be going on.

Darius is the Sword Fighter. Shun is the Martial Artist. I'll send you a PM with links after sleep. :3
Good, thanks.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Okay, I was hoping for 2, its just the most legit way to play competitively.
But without more than 2 players we won't have epic Team Battles. :3

Oh, so the entire roster is going to be new?
Yes, all characters will be new and original.

And I hope its at least partially sealed in the spirit of competition, otherwise some ridiculous matches will be going on.
Considering it's supposed to be extremely competitive, we will try to balance out every character very well. Of course there - eventually - will be matches that will be easier for one character, since the cast will have different abilities etc., but as soon as we see a big problem emerge (i.e. a character we thought to be balanced is overpowered with a certain tactic or is severely underpowered), we will fix it - the official release won't be stopped from udpates until we're completely sure it's all good. :3

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
How far along are you guys with this?
Do you guys even have anything runable?
Engine demo, etc?
I have pieces of the engine on my computer. I have graphics and audio working, but it doesn't do anything useful yet. I am waiting to finish school (2 more days) before hitting the engine really hard.

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
Oh and just so no one is suprised, I'll be gone from the 26th to the 2nd on a trip to Idaho, and will have no photoshop access for sprites. Afterwards I'll be back, and ready to work. Hopefully by then we'll have more character sheets fleshed out.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
We will have at least one panel dedicated to the "official roster". Other panels may form for unique alternate rosters. I'm open to ideas. :)

--- --- ---

Here is a quick list of animations each character needs:

GROUND

standing
idle (boredom)*
taunt*
jab (neutral tilt)
forward tilt
up tilt
forward smash
up smash
down smash
grab
up special
neutral special
down special
forward special
jump
crouch
defend/shield
fallen

crouching
down tilt
rise

shielding
roll
sidestep

dash
dash attack
dash grab

pummel (grab hit)
up throw
forward throw
back throw
down throw

AIR

airborne
double jump
wall jump*
up air
neutral air
forward air
back air
down air
down air recovery
air dodge
up special*
neutral special*
down special*
forward special*

tumble/helpless
ceiling tech
wall tech
ground tech
ground tech roll
impact/bounce (?)

ledge hang
climb
climb to roll
climb to jump
climb to attack
T~T I just cried a little.

Oh and just so no one is suprised, I'll be gone from the 26th to the 2nd on a trip to Idaho, and will have no photoshop access for sprites. Afterwards I'll be back, and ready to work. Hopefully by then we'll have more character sheets fleshed out.
>_> Wait, what are you doing? Sprite sheets? Or just drawing what I'm eventually going to have to sprite?

<_< Lack of graphical uniformity confuses me.
-DD

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
I have no frickin' clue, what do you guys want me to do? I am willing to do as much work as you can give me, it'd be fun to have my art in a game. :3

Top Bottom