• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda's Stage Discussion #10 -- Battlefield!

powuh_of_PIE

Smash Journeyman
I usually go DK on Pirate Ship because 3 spikes FTW, but I would not avoid Zelda here either. Close side blastzones mean the damage racking is left to Usmash and Fsmash (goes up and sideways) and the killing to Dsmash and the LKs. The curve of the floor means she'll have an easier time camping compared to regular campers, who spam in a straight line. Exceptions are TL/Link and to a certain extent ROB, I know I would never take the Links here.

As for stage hazards, be very conscious of the "little flingy thing" as even if it doesn't kill, it's annoying as ****. I usually spam Din's like crazy during the bombs, seeing as how the bombs themselves are like Din's on crack.

... Oh **** son, now I wanna hack my Wii and give Din's the bomb hitbox. We'll see who's low tier material then >=D

sniperworm

Smash Ace
Screw this stage, this is the dumbest stage that's still legal. I have a supreme hatred for this stage and I hope that anyone who picks this stage against me gets run over by a truck (except Paka, because he needs the help).

Darkmusician

Smash Master
It's ok Matt cause underneath that truck is a pokeball. And inside the pokeball is Mew.

This is a stage I probably wouldn't go Zelda on. Nor would I take anyone here as Zelda. More and more characters are making use of this stage due to the water extending their life span as well as the high ceiling, and fairly wide sides. I'd probably pick someone that has an easier time hitting kill moves like MK or Snake to be honest. Also Pirate ship is another stage that has slanted surfaces and I hate slants. Messes up my spacing.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
Careful about who to play on this stage... if your enemy doesn´t have a spike Zelda clearly has advantage in the water (although not too big) but pretty much every spike in the game is easier to land/stronger than Zelda´s.
peach and jesus walking says "who needs a spike?" lol

Main People to NOT brawl on this stage would be Ike and Ganon. (Or at least don't go in the water with Ganon)

Ike is very scary on Pirate Ship.
idk, i hear Ike isn't all that on pirate ship, and we can just dins like were on autopilot lol.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Main People to NOT brawl on this stage would be Ike and Ganon.
And Ness. After all, he has the strongest spike in the game and doesn´t get gimped here, removing his biggest weakness.

Also, the little flingy thing that occasionally pops up should be avoided. It will probably kill you.
Not with good DI.

peach and jesus walking says "who needs a spike?" lol
How could I forget Peach and her annoying very lovely float?

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
pirate ship teaches me that I wish that zelda's spike was better than it is....... and that she's horrible at getting out of water.

It's kinda gimmicky, but it
s fun to din's cancel in the water so that you're like a little fierball machine gun.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
idk, i hear Ike isn't all that on pirate ship, and we can just dins like were on autopilot lol.
Ike is the most dangerous character in the water due to aether setting up more spikes. You get aethered once into the water, you are dead. G&W is the safest character in the water due to parachute + key shenanigans. Din's fire we should be able to get around if you do start camping with it. Hanging around under the part that sticks out in the front + timing aether so we grab the ledge as the next one hits + timing the ledge roll so the next din fire doesn't hit us without invincibility frames = safely back on the ship.

Besides, it's not like we just hop into the water and wait for you to jump in. We force you into the water. :bee:

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
well while your aethering im spewing fireballs anyway and if its not working im going to the other side of the stage then sit and look cute till time is up. >.>

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
can halberd be discussed next i just was curious as to why some feel its such a bad stage for big Z

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Try recovering on that stage.
I do most off the time her up B isn't needed at least while the platforms are moving. I also like going under the stage. Aren't halbred ceilings low which make usmash utilt and uair kill earlier?

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Recovering on Halberd is dumb hard..... it's even worse than Delfino, imo. If you're off by even a little bit, the game says, "Nope, no ledge for you!!!! SD PLZ!!!"

Other than that, it's not so bad, but if you can avoid it, there's no reason to go there.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Recovering on Halberd is dumb hard..... it's even worse than Delfino, imo. If you're off by even a little bit, the game says, "Nope, no ledge for you!!!! SD PLZ!!!"

Other than that, it's not so bad, but if you can avoid it, there's no reason to go there.
maybe that's way i like halberd i don't try to sweet spot the ledge with FW. You shouldn't need to FW too much either and her jump should be enough since she's floaty but i guess it also depends on how aggresively your opponent is edge guarding you.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Alright cool! Since everyone's talking about it already, discuss halberd!

I'll change the OP tomorrow morning because I'm mad tired!

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725

so, naturally, we try to land on the stage to circumvent this retartedly precise procedure.... because Zelda likes to land on the stage... right?

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
so, naturally, we try to land on the stage to circumvent this retartedly precise procedure.... because Zelda likes to land on the stage... right?
i like to land on the stage considering zeldas ledge options aren't the greatest. or you can hit your opponent with the FW.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
im not really feeling halberd for Zelda, your better off going to Yoshis than here i think.

i like to land on the stage considering zeldas ledge options aren't the greatest. or you can hit your opponent with the FW.
you only land on the stage if theres no other options cause she has "sexy landing poses". bad ledge options or not, at least your protected for a moment on the edge. and attempting to hit them on purpose is also a bad idea.

other than recovery issues Zelda also has to deal w/ some sharking like on delfino, something that Zeldas not very good at doing nor excellent at stopping.

she can possibly take cover behind the lasers and fire Dins off, but other than that the hazards do no better to help her than anyone else.

small ceiling is nice and all, but it also means Zelda can die a bit earlier. she also doesn't look very sexy running away from lasers.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Umm, yeah, landing all willy-nilly with Zelda on the stage is never a good option. You'll just get smashed or thrown right back off the stage again.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Farore's Wind has lots of options

most of them just aren't very good

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
You're right.

You have the option of:
Getting smashed.
Getting grabbed.
Getting edgehogged.
Or getting gimped before it even begins.

:)

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
You're right.

You have the option of:
Getting smashed.
Getting grabbed.
Getting edgehogged.

:)
there's also the other 1/2 of her 16 directions that can just send her to a suicide.

you can't leave any options out.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
I also like going under the stage.
There´re some characters who are good at hitting people from there. Zelda isn´t one of them: her only aerials even capable of doing that are Nair and Uair. Nair hits maybe twice, if you´re luck, causing very little damage. Uair may surprise the enemy and kill them at high percents, but it´s easy to shield/dodge. In real game it shouldn´t hit anyone frequently.

After missing an aerial you have no option but to FW straight up or in upwards angle, float in the air for a while and then get killed by fullcharged smash.

you only land on the stage if theres no other options cause she has "sexy landing poses". bad ledge options or not, at least your protected for a moment on the edge. and attempting to hit them on purpose is also a bad idea.
This pretty much sums it up. Very rarely you can land on the stage with FW and get away unpunished. Aiming at the enemy just changes this into OoS punishment.

Zelda's never sexy; she's elegant.
She´s both.

You're right.

You have the option of:
Getting smashed.
Getting grabbed.
Getting edgehogged.
Getting Falcon punched is her best option IMO.

This stage really doesn´t offer many good things for her. In the part where the stage is moving to Harberd the floating platform is too high for her to utilize with U-smash or Nair, she has trouble recovering and most characters outcamp her. On the good side, she can shorthop Uair people on the floating platform and avoid some projectiles (Falco´s lasers etc) by ducking in the middle. She also might be able to D-tilt spike people recovering through the stage, but counting that as a pro would be just ridiculous.

When actually on the Halberd, she can kill a bit earlier to the sides than usually. That´s about it. She´s so slow that usually she´s the one thrown into the stage hazards by the enemy, not the other way around. The gimmicky walls certainly don´t help her recovery and once again she gets outcamped by most of the cast with no helpful platforms anywhere.

Certainly not my favorite stages.

sniperworm

Smash Ace
Halberd is a fairly weak Zelda stage. The moving portion of the stage causes recovery nightmares for Zelda. If at all possible, try to teleport in a downward direction, it'll make your life easier. Also keep in mind that the middle platform can also be used as a landing area.

Getting sharked from under the stage is a real possibility against those with multiple jumps or insane recoveries. Try your best to cope with it, Zelda doesn't have too many options. Keep in mind that our Dtilt spikes if you get the opportunity to punish a misspaced sharking attempt. Retreating Din's glides and Farore's Wind can be used to discourage sharking against those with slow horizontal air speed.

Sheik performs significantly better on this portion of the stage, so if you use Sheik you may want to consider starting as her.

The part when you're on the ship is a decent enough place for Zelda. The hazards are slow and obvious, so don't get hit by them. Some notes about them:

1) The claw's targeting can be transferred to the other player if you make contact with them (just like how you can pass Snake's C4 onto another player).

2) If you watch the cannonball as it's launched, you can tell where it's being aimed.

3) You can SDI out of the laser. Please make sure that you do if you somehow get caught in it.

Generally, the only reason Zelda would pick this stage is the low ceiling. That being said, there are better places to go.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
1) The claw's targeting can be transferred to the other player if you make contact with them (just like how you can pass Snake's C4 onto another player).
Huh. I didn't know that! That's semi-somewhat-sorta-not-really-useful-but-cool-anyway knowledge to have.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Umm, yeah, landing all willy-nilly with Zelda on the stage is never a good option. You'll just get smashed or thrown right back off the stage again.
It's not willy nilly it's calculated precision to the point where I think the least a mount of chance of me getting punished...errr who am I kidding.

@HSS you're right but those different options allow for a lessened chance of getting punished.

@sniper I OBV wouldn't CP this stage against characters that can use the stage better than zelda would be able to.

sniperworm

Smash Ace
@sniper I OBV wouldn't CP this stage against characters that can use the stage better than zelda would be able to.
Your comment is a little confusing. I'm not sure where I said that you should CP the stage against someone who uses it better than Zelda. I mentioned things in my post to cover potential issues with the stage (as some characters may CP Zelda to Halberd) so that the unfamiliar would be better prepared.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Your comment is a little confusing. I'm not sure where I said that you should CP the stage against someone who uses it better than Zelda. I mentioned things in my post to cover potential issues with the stage (as some characters may CP Zelda to Halberd) so that the unfamiliar would be better prepared.
Ah I get what you're saying now.

Top Bottom