• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shoot First, Ask Questions Later: The Samus Tactical Discussion & Q&A Thread

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Until you realize that the LGL is 35.

Do you really want to get to the point that you have to approach or risk being timed out? ROFL
at mlg or something then yea its 35. u can time out SEVERAL characters in this game with the stages that being legal now without having to be on the ledge.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Dear god, are we REALLY going to be known for the character that has to time people out to win? dude when anyone picks samus in a tournament people will throw bottles.

Dear god, are we REALLY going to be known for the character that has to time people out to win? dude when anyone picks samus in a tournament people will throw bottles.
Oh dear god I have to sig this. Cherry speaks words of truth.

Xyro77

I like winning money with my character. People say samus isnt viable....i prove other wise.

I agree with Xyro in that the ledge is her future, and I have won matches by timing people out. However, I do believe there is another way, we just have to find it :/

Xyro77

I'ma see if I can do it any other way
The writing is one the wall. The way this game is made is why samus is just flat bad and very shallow.

Look at her f tilt. I can name SEVERAL char that can SHIELD(not even a power shield) and punish it. The sad part is, ALOT of those character that punish her for the f-tilt are characters that really are not viable. That makes it even worse.

Look at her jab...one of the WORST in the game. It hits a frame 3(which is good) but takes forever to come back in and that means plenty of time to be punished(because lack of hit stun) or it forces u to use the jab at high percents where the knockback is higher. This means the JAB is now a situational move

Nair/usmash is freakin worthless and a total joke of a move. In other words, situational.

Shield/dash or standard grab is SUPER slow and only work in certain situations.

Her MAIN weapon(zair) does not refresh moves. This is the MAIN reason why we cant kill well.

Samus is mega floaty which means we are easy pickins when it comes to combo-ing.

Samus really does suck(due to the way this game is built) and i think that hit n run+ledge play is her ONLY real way to do well. Its that or focus on low tier events.

I agree with Xyro on everything except nair, I find it a very effective combo breaker. Thats all really though, Samus is pretty **** terrible :/

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
The writing is one the wall. The way this game is made is why samus is just flat bad and very shallow.

Look at her f tilt. I can name SEVERAL char that can SHIELD(not even a power shield) and punish it. The sad part is, ALOT of those character that punish her for the f-tilt are characters that really are not viable. That makes it even worse.

Look at her jab...one of the WORST in the game. It hits a frame 3(which is good) but takes forever to come back in and that means plenty of time to be punished(because lack of hit stun) or it forces u to use the jab at high percents where the knockback is higher. This means the JAB is now a situational move

Nair/usmash is freakin worthless and a total joke of a move. In other words, situational.

Shield/dash or standard grab is SUPER slow and only work in certain situations.

Her MAIN weapon(zair) does not refresh moves. This is the MAIN reason why we cant kill well.

Samus is mega floaty which means we are easy pickins when it comes to combo-ing.

Samus really does suck(due to the way this game is built) and i think that hit n run+ledge play is her ONLY real way to do well. Its that or focus on low tier events.
You are preaching to the quire, I know she's bad, I've played her since the beginning and seen some stupid stuff happen where it shouldn't have due to Samus' lack of anything good. if she fires a charge shot to close to someone, they can dash attack and hit her before we can shield, they can WALK UP TO HER AND JAB. Trust me, I know what your saying, but there's gotta be something, Anything but that, I HATE that.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
There is: play better. ROFL

Until I see high-level Samus gameplay that fails, I refuse to see planking as the only way.

On another note, I learned that tethers don't count on your LGL. The game doesn't record them at least. Not that it helps, since any good player will gimp you if you plank with z-air for any excessive amount of time.

On another note, I learned that tethers don't count on your LGL. The game doesn't record them at least. Not that it helps, since any good player will gimp you if you plank with z-air for any excessive amount of time.
That is really helpful for me. Thanks.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
It's spelled "choir"
not "quire"
hahaha I had it as something like that, then it was red underlined so I trusted firefox, GG firefox, GG. Pretty sure that is the only thing I can never remember how to spell correctly. Too bad though, neat word

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer
So I keep finding that I have trouble dealing with Toon Links who focus their playstyle around throwing more bull**** at me than I can throw at them. Sometimes I can get past it but I'm not near consistent at it. Is there any advice or anything specific I should be doing in this match-up to out-bull**** toon link?

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
So I keep finding that I have trouble dealing with Toon Links who focus their playstyle around throwing more bull**** at me than I can throw at them. Sometimes I can get past it but I'm not near consistent at it. Is there any advice or anything specific I should be doing in this match-up to out-bull**** toon link?
None that I can give. We can actually dish out more but he just dishes it out better. He's a short little kid, speedy, we are a slow floaty tall character. Spam is our enemy, and yes, the irony is great

ZeroL

Smash Apprentice
Just camp him and bait him into going offstage against you.

EDIT: btw does anyone know when the Samus hitbubbles video will come out ?

you really are the dutch xyro. 1 sentence answers that actually sound plausible
Could not agree more, at least in terms of literature ;).

Also, a problem of my own, the **** pigeon with a lazer. He just generally gives me so much trouble :/. I try to space my zairs, then suddenly, a lazer hits me before the hitbox comes out, I try to get in and just get eaten to death by his jab to grabs and stuff :/.

Any advice?

ZeroL

Smash Apprentice
Could not agree more, at least in terms of literature ;).

Also, a problem of my own, the **** pigeon with a lazer. He just generally gives me so much trouble :/. I try to space my zairs, then suddenly, a lazer hits me before the hitbox comes out, I try to get in and just get eaten to death by his jab to grabs and stuff :/.

Any advice?
Keep abusing the ledge against him, his lazers won't hit on the ledge. Shooting Missiles and charge shots will FORCE him to approach. Getting falco offstage is crucial in that MU, get him offstage, predict his phantasm with a nair and then gim him further or just dair him.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
Keep abusing the ledge against him, his lazers won't hit on the ledge. Shooting Missiles and charge shots will FORCE him to approach. Getting falco offstage is crucial in that MU, get him offstage, predict his phantasm with a nair and then gim him further or just dair him.
Nothing forces Falco to approach except a percent lead. Then camp the ledge. Avoid BF. Pick a stage where he has less options for recovering. I almost want to say try FD, but then getting that percent lead is gonna be a *****. Meh. This is a MU that I personally don't go Samus.

Vids please. Hard to give advice when we don't know who you're up against. Generic critique doesn't always help.

Kj Want to **** around on wifi?
Just let me know on MSN <3.

Also NOID iirc you alt Sheik right? Well so do I :3. Wifi dittos are a must?

Also, thanks for the help guys, but that is more or less what I've been doing now. NOID has it dead on. You won't get the % advantage in this MU anytime soon tbh :/

HotWings

Smash Ace
Hello, ive got a question about my main and i need serious help.

Alright ive been switching mains over and over for months and im sick of it. I just want to go ahead and pick 1 and 1 only main and be done with picking my main.

Ive been useing pikachu for a little while now and im really good with him and the pikachu boards are just awesome but im just not feeling it with him anymore. Idk why its just im not.

I want the character to be in melee because i want to use the same character in melee and brawl.

I also want the character to have a good and active community because i dont really care if the character is low tier and loses most of him/her matches because after a tournament the only thing that matters is having friends.. i dont really care about winning, i just want to have a good time while playing.

Ive been into anime for awhile so im really into swords. But that doesnt mean my character has to have a sword, i just felt like adding that in there lol.

So if yal could please name a few characters that yal think i would enjoy playing and give me the pros and cons about him/her that would be great.

Thanks for your time :)

Xyro77

Hello, ive got a question about my main and i need serious help.

Alright ive been switching mains over and over for months and im sick of it. I just want to go ahead and pick 1 and 1 only main and be done with picking my main.

Ive been useing pikachu for a little while now and im really good with him and the pikachu boards are just awesome but im just not feeling it with him anymore. Idk why its just im not.

I want the character to be in melee because i want to use the same character in melee and brawl.

I also want the character to have a good and active community because i dont really care if the character is low tier and loses most of him/her matches because after a tournament the only thing that matters is having friends.. i dont really care about winning, i just want to have a good time while playing.

Ive been into anime for awhile so im really into swords. But that doesnt mean my character has to have a sword, i just felt like adding that in there lol.

So if yal could please name a few characters that yal think i would enjoy playing and give me the pros and cons about him/her that would be great.

Thanks for your time :)

No joke.

Go MARTH or PEACH or SHEIK. All 3 of them feel the closest to melee of all the characters in brawl. They also have certain aspects about them that make them shine. Shiek can tilt lock and combo very well, she can also grab release to Usmash. Peach can combo decently and has obscene priority on her moves, she can also glide toss. marth is just marth= freaking amazing and he has a sword(which u said u like).

No offense but this type of post really shouldnt be in this board. lol its cool though

HotWings

Smash Ace
Sorry bout that..

Oh and i would have figured you would have said samus lol.

Btw i forgot to add 2 important things to that post... #1- my fav thing to do is to combo like a beast and make my opponent just sitting there because he cant get out of my combos. (I love 0-Death combos lol)

#2- I like fast paced characters overall.. i mean dont get me wrong samus is awesome but when it comes to combos the best characters to pull them off are fast characters.

So with that being said.. i would think fox would be best for me but i want your opinion on it.

So choose 1 character that you think fits everything i just said.

Oh and pick a character from the original SSB... idk why but i love original characters.

Sorry bout that..

Oh and i would have figured you would have said samus lol.

Btw i forgot to add 2 important things to that post... #1- my fav thing to do is to combo like a beast and make my opponent just sitting there because he cant get out of my combos. (I love 0-Death combos lol)
Many people who come to the Samus boards actually advice people NOT to go her. For obvious reasons I may add. Samus can combo EXTREMELY well in this game, it's just... after the combos.... you just won't kill :/

#2- I like fast paced characters overall.. i mean dont get me wrong samus is awesome but when it comes to combos the best characters to pull them off are fast characters.
Samus only looks sluggish because you have not played her, this can also be said for Bowser. Both characters actually have speedy traits about them, like Samus has a very speedy moveset in general, with all of her aerials coming out before frame 10.

So with that being said.. i would think fox would be best for me but i want your opinion on it.

So choose 1 character that you think fits everything i just said.

Oh and pick a character from the original SSB... idk why but i love original characters. [/COLOR]
If you was to choose anybody, based on what you have said there, I say Pikachu/Fox.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Many people who come to the Samus boards actually advice people NOT to go her. For obvious reasons I may add. Samus can combo EXTREMELY well in this game, it's just... after the combos.... you just won't kill :/
Funny story. Yesterday I was playing people online and realizing how shoddy I have become, and then I found a samus, that mirror'd my skill in this game. t'was a 3 stock FFA but the other guy killed each of us 1 time, and then jumped off the cliffs to his death for his last stock. So me and this samus went at it, and 2 stocks resulted in a 6 minuet match the percents got into the 200's for the last stock.

Throwback

Smash Lord
I dunno he sounds more like a mario player to me.

Oh and samus is 4th fastest initial dash, tied fastest jump, 4th fastest deceleration time, and surely tied fastest (if not outright fastest) for landing lag post-aerials.

Xyro77

I dunno he sounds more like a mario player to me.

Oh and samus is 4th fastest initial dash, tied fastest jump, 4th fastest deceleration time, and surely tied fastest (if not outright fastest) for landing lag post-aerials.
Where is the data on this? i would like to see the list.

ChozoVaria

Smash Rookie
i have a question
i'm not a samus-main, z-suit is mine, but i'd still like to know why the lasso sometimes fails at what seems like random times. sometimes it grabs the edge and sometimes it's a dud, without a pattern that I can pick up on(like the every-4th-time-fail that z-suit's lasso-recovery has) what's the actual thing that determines whether or not samus' lasso will grab the edge?

Xyro77

i have a question
i'm not a samus-main, z-suit is mine, but i'd still like to know why the lasso sometimes fails at what seems like random times. sometimes it grabs the edge and sometimes it's a dud, without a pattern that I can pick up on(like the every-4th-time-fail that z-suit's lasso-recovery has) what's the actual thing that determines whether or not samus' lasso will grab the edge?
With samus, you can only tether the ledge 3 times. Any tether attempt after that will result in it not grabbing the ledge. You must touch the ground before u get your 3 tethers back.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
i have a question
What Xyro said.

To add on, any hitbox that exists on the edge will prevent you from grabbing it. It blocks the auto-latch feature. You'll notice that when you z-air while someone else is trying to grab the ledge, it just comes out as it's basic attack, rather than used as a tether.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
I've had it happen to me, maybe I wasnt' keeping track of my tether count but I think it was just at random a couple times where my Tether recovery just grabbed and de-tatched. ended up costing me a stock, it doesn't happen often

quirkynature

Smash Ace
I recently decided to learn Samus because I alt ZSS, and I saw the CPU angle the f-tilt for Samus upwards for 10% damage. It's not beastly, but it's faster than a Super Missile.

I can pull it off sometimes using the Classic controller, but when I try the Wiimote (which is what I use), I usually end up with an f-air, d-tilt, u-smash or a d-smash.

Any tips on pulling off an angled f-tilt? Apart from permanently switching controllers?

Xyro77

I recently decided to learn Samus because I alt ZSS, and I saw the CPU angle the f-tilt for Samus upwards for 10% damage. It's not beastly, but it's faster than a Super Missile.

I can pull it off sometimes using the Classic controller, but when I try the Wiimote (which is what I use), I usually end up with an f-air, d-tilt, u-smash or a d-smash.

Any tips on pulling off an angled f-tilt? Apart from permanently switching controllers?
Yea, you must SLIGHTLY tilt the control stick up and to the right(or left) and press A. If u press up to fast, you jump. if you press up too much, you do an u-tilt. It takes Practice.

PS: though i hate recommending this, try turning tap jump off.

Top Bottom