• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(」・ω・)」 MARS la Marf in Smash 4 (/・ω・)/

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
Alright, so my good friend Ramin is on his way to Paris (almost). Ally's arriving there in two days. Definitely looking forward to that tournament. Why am I posting this here? Well, Ramin is a marth main and ally used marth.

PS. Ally's not winning this.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
kara walker - shows how blacks were conceived on the south.

uses silouhettes to describe sterotypes. Blacks - empty - allows the viewer to imagine, interpret, and decipher the scene opposed to simply drawing everything out.

Similarly, photographer sally mann

Both kara walker and Sally Mann depict images that are controversial and taboo, yet each depicts a world that is real to them. Walker illustrates years of oppression, misconceptions, and racial tension with no intent to sugar coat any of it. Mann illustrates what she believes to be beauty, whether it be controversial or not. Both of these artists simply capture what is in their heart with no regard toward the viewers potential reaction.

Kara Walker uses silouettes to capture the past. When viewing Walker's artwork live, the viewer's shadow will also be cast into each of her sets, making the viewer feel as if they are part of the scene. Although Walker only uses silhouettes in her artwork, she is no where near limited in capturing what she feels.

Similarly, Sally Mann only produces black and white photographs. One may think she would be limited due to lack of color, but it her photographs are still able to capture all, if not more emotion than any color picture. Her black and white technique adds emphasis on''

"One might consider ways to raise up a different history in front of the present, ways to draw another image or give another form to what is visible and possible." - Philippe Vergne, p. 8)

"she rewrites this history, draws it, paints it, films it, from the people's point of view" Philippe Vergne, p. 8)

In Beats Me (p. 290, Walker), we are shown silhouettes of two white men, one shrugging while the other laughs in response to what appears to be a dead black figure in the background. This show a harsh reality, where the reasoning behind the dead body does not even remotely matter, and is instead a comical occurrence.

"Walker's art reflects and offers up for critique a collective, often disturbing past, which has yet to be culturally transcended" (Heusel)

Similarly, in a piece of work entitled Emancipation Approximation, we are shown a Southern Belle leaning against a tree, a hatchet nearby, and nine black figured heads scattered across the ground. Her hand gestures show no empathy towards the action of beheading these nine people. In fact, the Belle's gestures show she is bored or perhaps killing time. This shows the Belle's desensitization with the act of dead black's, and this piece of work is simply another daily occurrence

"black paper doppelgangers created to bring forth the dark side of the viewer's imagination and...responsible for dealing with the guilt that the rest of the psyche much repress" (Heusel)

"The images are not just a personal cathartic exercise, but also a social criticism of unresolved issues that continue to plague society." (Heusel)

"Walker is remembering an antinarrative that exists in a place before memoty and beyond it, always familiar, yet resoundingly alien." (Heusel)

"Walker's silhouette thus refamiliarizes her audience to the forgotten and repressed guilt over the trauma of slavery by visually unearthing those traumatic events. The audience then is both attracted to and repulsed by these life-size figures". (Heusel)

"challenge and resist specific conceptions of what constitutes proper artistic production on the part of a young, black woman." (Shaw p. 94)

"Walker embraces the body - its uses, abuses, indulgences, tolerances, constraints, and exultations - to lay bare the truth that the spectacle of bodies in pain, of bodies in ecstasy, constitues history."

" The convulsion of desire - whether for the familiar or for the Other - Signifies the mechanism of relationships and power dynamics between races, classes, and genders. Walker words to disrupt and debunk such structures as she stages the reenactment of an epic past in the arena of unleashed desires." (Vergne, P. 8)

"Whether used to signift one's social distinction or to identify a slave, the silhouette is in itself as inricate as Walker's overall project. It is beautiful and it hurts; it is here and now yet totally obsolete." (Vergne, P. 10)

Both artists do what they love and what they feel is art without worry of critique, and that is what makes them so great at what they do.

^ sally mann

^ get the facts (aka my opinion)

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Too long; didn't read.

But it reminds me of how horribly racist/sexist (sexist not so bad) King Kong is.

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
I was playing aggressivly in gfs, >.> even if you played bad in wfs, I was rushing you too much and kept getting ***** but I'll get you next time wyatt!
you rushed him in wfs too but he didn't defend as well. i think the key to beating wyatt is just getting as much momentum as possible before he can set anything up, at least that's what seemed to work best from what i saw

aside from that, it seems like marth has a lot more bad trades in the MU than i thought, and very few options for evading/resetting the combat situation back to neutral

super tough match-up IMO. i used to think it's even i think diddy wins now though because every marth i've seen play it, actual marth mains included, has issues dealing with pretty much the same stuff

edit: interesting post Mike

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
You mean randomly crying because of nothing?

I thought you cried because you were smart enough to use adderall and heard a cool guy screaming "YOU SUCK" all day long. But I hear ya, randomly crying because of family and stuff is cool.

uncle was in a car crash that morning and was in an coma while under an intensive care unit, and the doctors said he would either die or be a vegetable for the rest of his life. People being offensive/rude (saying "you suck **** ****ing ******" ) when i simply(and obviously) did not care about a tournament match is what set me off.

feel free to make fun of me without knowing intentions some more, i'm sure your life is roses.

/real talk

Suspect

Smash Hero
Good job on posting some old vids, even if I do still lose to that said sonic, you lost to him also. That makes 2 sonics that > you even tho you use a character that hard counters him.

Me losing to a sonic=/= a region losing to a sonic. good job mike, i like your logic.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
Everyone just needs to chill the **** out lol

X is insanely good and took 2 games off of M2K, why are you saying WC is bad for losing to him? Have you ever played X?

Everyone cries, and Jumpman is a troll for talking about things he knows nothing about.

NEO I love you but you are a pessimist sometimes. While Albert's post might have been a little over-optimistic I think Marth mains need that right now.

Diddy is ****ing gay and Ally is too good, and needs to accept my FB friend request!

That should be it.

This has been Real Talk with your host PD, any questions?

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
In fact I actually knew what Mike was going through, I just didn't like his reply to my post. Rebaz (a Dutch smasher who went to genesis) was the one who caused this stuff. He told me what was up. I was trolling though.

Top Bottom