• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[QLD] Brisbane/Gold Coast Meets & Tournaments

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmanondorf_

Smash Ace
you can come with Bunny and I ;)

but we'll be going around 3 or 4 if I finish work by then. Otherwise we're not going and just chilling at angus instead.

EDIT: you're probably better off going with scottdog if you really want to go like the smash*** you are you massive hypocrite.

And it's not my fault that you can only remember getting Bunny's texts and not mine!

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
thanks for organising the tourny vyse it was good, even tho i was complete fail that day.
wish we started earlier but yeah traffic =P
no body got my Uncle tag.. its from ac2... its a me mario.. i should have used ezio instead -,-

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
SmashPlay 1: Merchant of Venice Full Results

Brawl Doubles

1: Exuberant Cobbers (JBirds + Rocko)
2: Toke$haion (Toki + Kaion)
3: Team JaM (Jaice + Matt)
4: World Cup Beaver (Arrow + Bob)
5: Old Balls (oldmanDORF + Testikills)
5: IKEAZARD (K-0S + Moose)
7: Banana Float (Yokai + Vyse)
7: Popdart + Nick (Popdart + Nick)

Brawl Singles

1: Amaterasu (Metaknight) $60
2: Jaice (Olimar/Peach) $30
3: J-Birds (Snake/Metaknight/Ice Climbers) $10
4: Toki (Marth)
5: Hotdog (Kirby)
5: Ke$haion (Samus/Metaknight)
7: AD3PT (Luigi)
7: Vyse (Diddy Kong/Falco)
9: Yokai
9: Testikills
9: Arrow
9: oldmanDORF
13: Popdart
13: Nicholas
13: Rocko

No Melee Singles results since it didn't finish.

Instead of shoutouts, here's some props and slops.

Props
- The fairly solid top 8 in Brawl
- Good **** Jaice at making 2nd
- Toki's awesome Phoenix wright related texture and music hacks
- Cheap, cool venue. It's all we need.
- Popdart's first tournament!
- OldmanDORF and Testikills giving me a lot of trouble in my matches with them - both of you guys are improving a ton!

Slops
- People taking too long with food
(I realise that I didn't explicitly say, "You guys need to go now, and come back by this time," but I figured you all would try to work with me more, seeing as it's a smaller tournament, and I shouldn't need to be so strict with schedule, but I guess next time I have to be. For example, Yokai walked to get food, and was back in 20 minutes. Bob and friends drove, and took twice or three times as long).

I wanted to run this tournament, and give people the relaxed feeling of not needing to rush for food, but I realise now it wasn't a good idea.

- Trying to run Melee when it shouldn't have been (considering the actual start time of the tournament being at 5pm, I shouldn't have run it)

- People not paying the venue fee, despite walking in the front door and playing - I'll let it slide this time, since I wasn't explicit on the rules (though I thought it was implied).

- Me not knowing wtf to do against Jaice. Olimar, how does it work? I would have preferred to fight an MK player than Olimar. Maybe I should take Falco up more?

- Failing in Brawl doubles

- People taking cans of Regal without paying for them - The system with the hat worked at LanSmash, but amongst you guys it didn't, so next time I'll just take $10 from the pot. (Seriously, it was 50c a can).

- Rushing to finish Brawl - that sucked

- No time for crews

- Unused TVs

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Melee Singles

Top 5: Zac = Kas = Scrubs = Chris = (who have I missed?)

5: Jesse MAYUN
7: Jbirds
7: Arrow
9: Toki
9: DJ BOB DORF THING
9: oldmanDORF
9: Ke$haion
13: Popdart
13: Yokai
13: Vyse
13: Jaice
17: AD3PT
17: Nicholas
17: Testikills
17: rocko

EDIT: I take back what I said about running Melee tournaments (which I decided to edit out). It'll work next time. This time we were hindered by the fact that we effectively only had about 4 hours to run the three events due to people not arriving at 3pm and dinner.

I tried Friday, and it didn't work. Good to know.

J-Birds

Smash Lord
Ill try to help out Vyse, i was trying to get all my matches done asap but didnt really focus on the big picture.

Everyone has gotten better, eye opener for me that i cant simply only play in tournament matches and still get 2nd.
Jaice has gotten mad legit.
I'm not sure how i feel at brawl anymore, in a weird place (inb4gayreplys).
Finding it harder to play.
Couldn't adapt, read or any of those fundamentals. THESE AINT JOHNS, maybe a bad night i dono.
Also i feel like some people think i was raging when i go to quit at a match, its just a habit cause its so much quicker in melee.
Frustrated with myself....

Oh i would have won melee if i wasnt dq'd

I think my problem is im not feeling any passion.
Talked about some smash history last night and the passion there was, i just dont have it atm.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
We've been over this before J-Birds.

Brawl is a mentally taxing game. Not physically - It demands technical skill, but not so much that you'll find yourself outplayed because one person has their L-Cancels down better than you in Melee for example.

It's not to do with technical skill, it's to do with playing a game that is comparatively slower than Melee - it's that at the end of the day, you can't overwhelm somebody with technical skill like you can in Melee and other fighting games. In Brawl, the ability to read, space and adapt has greater importance since you can't cover your mistakes, or your experiments with technical skill.

Also I do appreciate how on the other end of the scale, there were also plenty of people trying to keep the brackets going.

Hotdog

Smash Lord
haha i'm in the same boat as jbirds, just really cbf, haven't played in ages, don't plan to practice anytime soon, no motivation, no passion, i dunno, we'll see if robocop puts a tingle in my pants haha.

I guess just vsing the same small group of people gets old after a while... Needs more variety, want to see more of jaice, matt and the dorfs and everyone else, people need to be more consistant with they're attendance imo

Testikills

Smash Journeyman
So annoyed I lost to you antho was in position to win both games

Curse you Matt can't defeat the shoryuken, even though it's a 70-30 for Marth at least it cone down to last stock this time

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
Slops
(I realise that I didn't explicitly say, "You guys need to go now, and come back by this time," but I figured you all would try to work with me more, seeing as it's a smaller tournament, and I shouldn't need to be so strict with schedule, but I guess next time I have to be. For example, Yokai walked to get food, and was back in 20 minutes. Bob and friends drove, and took twice or three times as long).

I wanted to run this tournament, and give people the relaxed feeling of not needing to rush for food, but I realise now it wasn't a good idea.
You realise this now? after how many tourneys???

Melee started at like 8 and was run on 2 setups for majority of the time. If I wasn't screaming at people to play, brawl probs wouldn't have even finished..

Anthony - Your attitude suggested you wer completely disinterested in running this. It felt like only myself and chris(kaion/raven) wer trying to keep the bracket going. you had a match to play with oldman and ther wer free setups inside, instead you both decided to sit out the front doing nothing and hold up the brackets.. and that was for brawl btw. I was really disappointed because I know you can do better. You've been involved in smash tourneys for 4 years now, you should have a better mental grip on things.

It was an incredibly poor and unorganized tourney all round, half of us couldn't show up on time because of work/uni and the giant cluster **** of traffic. Brawl singles wasn't even half way at 8pm.

me and kas decided to do a epic grand final best of 1 random character. It was my pichu vs his g&w on battlefield and kas won.

siif not put my legit name either >_>

Hotdog

Smash Lord
haha traffic to the coast is gay, nearly died, then my street fighter reactions kicked in.

seaDORF

Smash Journeyman
I'll try to make an effort to get to the next one. I started work at 10:30 last night. Would've been too much of a pain in the *** to get there and back.

I know that these tournaments are organized in advance to give people notice to change work shifts etc but where i'm at, there's alot of casual uni students who want the weekend shifts so i take whatever shifts my rosterer gives me.

Also, congrats on everyone's placings, i hear that everyone has improved heaps.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Zac, I wanted this tournament to be relaxed. I didn't think it would take so long to finish.

Anthony - Your attitude suggested you wer completely disinterested in running this. It felt like only myself and chris(kaion/raven) wer trying to keep the bracket going. you had a match to play with oldman and ther wer free setups inside, instead you both decided to sit out the front doing nothing and hold up the brackets.. and that was for brawl btw. I was really disappointed because I know you can do better. You've been involved in smash tourneys for 4 years now, you should have a better mental grip on things.
I like how you equate disinterested to sitting outside to eat for a few minutes since I hadn't eaten yet - and choosing to eat outside because I didn't want to get bits of food on the ground. Actually, I should have moved all the food outside now that I think of it.

I knew I was holding up the Brawl bracket, so that's why I only took a couple of minutes, ate half of my food, put the rest away, and went in to play my game.

For the sake of both games, I put myself out of Melee (well you did that for me) so I wouldn't take up playing Melee when I could be playing Brawl.

I think the problem was, I kept forgetting that we were trying to run 3 tournaments in 4 hours, and two of those tournaments were Brawl tournaments. Either way you're right Syke. From now on, I won't run relaxed tournaments anymore.

Also, I won't offer a Melee tournament when I'm not 100% sure that one can be done. So next time, I'll only offer at most Melee friendly setups.

Remastered

Smash Lord
Jaice and I will be at more now. Have been doing a lot of work to get where we are. Practicing match-ups for Jaice against snake and mk, working on being harder and harder to read.

Shout out to hotdogs, first kirby I have played and it showed, you read my game well and I will have to work on getting a leg up against you next time.

Toki and R4VEN for being just awesome, I will be holding another get together at mine soonish and you guys def have to attend. I will work out a way around my terrible match up on Marth Toki, happy i got 1 win on you atleast, and to finally play you.

Vyse, again we tie and I don't get to play you. Had a night of all new matches for me. Liked the mix up a lot.

Mick, thanks for coming, hope you and Ian can make the next couple and can show us how you guys play in tourney. Good Toon Link Practice ;)

To all others, thanks for a rad night of smash, looking forward to the next one!

(Testikills, your Marth will never evade my flaming fist the way you want it too lol, but you have gotten better! )

Jaice, **** yeah!

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I sincerely apologise to the guys that came purely for Melee. Last night I had no will to run a Melee bracket because it didn't seem worth it, and I did say straight up that not a lot of emphasis was going to be put on it. But last night I forgot that it was something I promised regardless.

Actually, Syke, if you didn't say what you did, I probably wouldn't have realised it myself.

There's a fine line between being an ******* and being strict with running tournaments though. I tend to put tournaments on a scale - Smaller attendance = I should take time to worry about making sure individual people get to play, and I make allowances for smaller things.

For example, the tournament was set to start at 4:30, but I decided to delay it because it would've been a 4 team bracket or thereabouts and entirely not worth it. I also loaned out about $30 to people to make sure they could play.

More to the point. At small tournaments, I'll almost never DQ somebody. It's just reverse engineering the point of these smaller tournaments in the first place, that is, to make sure people have a good time and play smash in a tournament setting more often.

And I did my fair share of keeping the bracket going thank you. Plenty of times I stopped friendlies happening to get bracket matches going. Hell, in one instance there were people playing two seperate friendlies on two separate setups who had a match and I had to stand over both their shoulders and tell them to quit and play.

But yeah, I recognise that I didn't give Melee enough love, although that is mainly because there was no pot for it, so I treated it more like a 'Side thing that doesn't matter if it finishes or not because there's no money in it' kind of thing.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Yeah I know, I'm not particularly getting at you.

I've been past that BattleZone place a couple of times.
Is there more behind what you can see into the store or is that it?

Rianogard

Smash Apprentice
Thankyou Vyse for hosting another tournament. I believe that the organisation was mainly inhibited by the undisciplined characteristics of others at the venue. People should have waited until Brawl had completed before starting Melee. Vyse explicitely stressed that this was predominantly a 'Brawl' competition, whereby Melee would proceed afterwards if possible, thus the reason why Vyse seemed 'disinterested' with Melee, but definitely NOT with Brawl.

I have to admit I was getting frustrated with people turning up and 'apparently' thinking the venue was free. If I was Vyse, I would discontinue holding competitions if people continued to rock up to consecutive competitions without paying the advertised venue fee. These meets are meant to be enjoyable social gatherings; I know that there are people who prefer Melee over Brawl, I know that I along with others usually go to these meets with a mindset holding the tournament matches and 'friendlies' with equal importance/enjoyment. However, if people don't get their act together, these regular meets could easily become a thing of the past. Anyway...

Chris: I hope I am able to verse you again in a tournament match without power surges haha. Your Metaknight is definitely better than my Peach and Olimar at the moment and I am immensely eager to verse you again. I think that is the first time we have actually competed against eachother in a competition.

J-birds: Versing you was the high-light of the tournament for me. I found it hilarious when it came to choosing our characters, which resulted in a cycle - Snake -> Olimar -> Ice Climbers -> Peach -> Snake... I know how the 'blinding' rule works now. My nerves were crazy with our first match, which ended with a time-out in your favour. I must admit, I almost cried at that point lol. I am sure you picked up on the different battle strategy on our second set - Peach was a little more... vicious. To quote Matthew "Peach is a b****". I look foward to our next game.

Toki: I am always terrified when versing Marth.

Vyse: Pikmin actually eat the banana peels. That is the secret to my success against Diddy haha. Also, I don't think Olimar can trip on something that is the same size as himself. I think you should stick with Diddy, just rely less on that banana peel combo.

Hotdogs: I think you may be lying about not practicing Brawl. I remember at Tempest I was able to beat you with Peach against Kirby, but with our last match, Kirby was blatantly laughing at Peach.

Matthew: **** yeah!

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
imo melee shouldn't have happened.. or atleast everyone play it @_@ that being said i liked melee..
could have been good with just friendlies and money matches tho @_@

always getting lucky hotdogs =P

bleh kaion, i gotta get alot more patience to vs you. so predictable but to taxing to keep my mind interested.

oldmanondorf_

Smash Ace
Slops
I think that's a bit unfair, we didn't deliberately waste time getting food. We left as soon as we got knocked out of doubles and went straight there and straight back. The line at colonel was MASSIVE. Couldn't be helped.

I paid entry + tournament fees and brought a set up that nobody used and I didn't hold up either bracket on purpose.. I was waiting for vyse to eat his colonel before our match. He knew I was waiting to play, I don't think it delayed much.

imo there's too many dbags who don't care or listen. Vyse tried to run things smoothly, but got ignored. I don't understand how people come to a planned event with costs and a timeline.. then don't pay and **** around. I still thought the tournament went well for what its worth. Just a **** time to get to the GC from brisbane. Holding them on saturdays will be better.

Could have done better in brawl, no johns just didn't play smart enough. Good job to both matt and jaice, they've defs improved the most. Melee results were pretty straightforward. Arrow ***** me in our Ganon ditto.

I understand what j-birds and scott are saying about brawl. I had more fun playing mariokart with kas, ranga and bob today than I did at the tournament. Need to play more opponents and learn more matchups. I prettymuch only play against my fellow DORF's who for the majority of the time, just use Ganondorf. If meets start happening, I'll make an effort to go.

Popdart

Smash Cadet
For my very first tournament ever, I reckon things ran pretty well. Although I definitely need to practice because everyone else's skill is on a much higher level than mine. But yes, count me in for the next tourney, whenever that is.

Sirias

Smash Champion
We need less tournaments, Anthony.
And more meets that include things that don't relate to, but also include, Smash.
Don't you think?

I agree, Mario Kart was fun as.
It's a shame we didn't go dAAAncing, though.

All-in-all we need more massive meets with lots of people rocking up somewhere sometime.
I'd invite people to mine when my parents leave but it's a tiny house.

Ahhh but anyway.
Thanks to Scott for driving me down. <3
Thanks to Adam for driving me back up + night out. <3
Thanks to Patchy for letting me crash at his for 2 days + nights. <3
Thanks to Bob for showing me the toilet. <3
Thanks to Chris for playing those fantastic games of Brawl. <3
Thanks to everyone else that I saw/talked to, however small the conversation. <3
It's always neat to be around youz guyz. =]

The Beat is so queer.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I think that's a bit unfair, we didn't deliberately waste time getting food. We left as soon as we got knocked out of doubles and went straight there and straight back. The line at colonel was MASSIVE. Couldn't be helped.
This I realise, though you could've bought the food back instead. That's what I usually do.

Not particularly your fault though. I did keep insisting there be an hour set aside for Dinner, which I didn't really account for since I wanted to keep the tournaments going.

@Kas: Less tournaments? The reason why I've started running at Helensvale again is because everyone has been crying out for more tournaments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom