• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
You better make his CRAWL where he turns into a roll of paper.

People who think Paper Mario would even be like Game & Watch are silly. BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BEING A 2D CHARACTER AND A FLAT 3D CHARACTER. :3

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Whoops, and here I though a X-Naut would have been the final boss, that's good to learn.

It would be cool if SSB4's Adventure mode had a world based on Paper Mario as well, meaning instead of the generic worlds we got in SSE we would get totally recognizable places from each of the popular franchises, for example if there was a Paper Mario based area eveything would look 2D and such, though I don't know how that would affect character appearances for that particular area, a nice idea like that would be nice.

Another example would be from Ike's game such as Daein's Castle taking place inside the castle, part of the SSE could take place inside while exploring with Fire Emblem based gamestyle, it would sort of be chess like in that particular area to control, but once you hit or come in contact with the enemy a regular Smash battle would emerge instead, great unique concept should happen like that in Adventure mode depending on a certain franchise.

:phone:

OmegaXXII

Lol..yesterday we were having a good argument regarding Paper Mario, people mentioned he would be a Mario clone, fact is he isn't even close to be a clone, totally unique, if any maybe like G&W but even then that shouldn't happen, unless Sakurai gets lazy which I hope never happens.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Lol..yesterday we were having a good argument regarding Paper Mario, people mentioned he would be a Mario clone, fact is he isn't even close to be a clone, totally unique, if any maybe like G&W but even then that shouldn't happen, unless Sakurai gets lazy which I hope never happens.
If he's a clone I will die. My moveset is completely legit and isn't something Sakurai can't do, especially with the power of the Wii U and the high density optical discs (basically meaning, the Wii U discs have extra space rumored to be 25GB which CAN happen.)

Oh yeah and update: currently on the last move, down special. I was going to do stuff like get-up attacks but I can do that later. Expect it being posted soon.

OmegaXXII

If he's a clone I will die. My moveset is completely legit and isn't something Sakurai can't do, especially with the power of the Wii U and the high density optical discs (basically meaning, the Wii U discs have extra space rumored to be 25GB which CAN happen.)

Oh yeah and update: currently on the last move, down special. I was going to do stuff like get-up attacks but I can do that later. Expect it being posted soon.
Yea, Sakurai shouldn't be lazy enough this time around, besides he does have his Sora team helping him out so that shouldn't be a problem, bit yea as far as the Wii-U goes it is definetly going to be able to handle anything that Smash were to throw at it, it probably won't have a problem since it will probably be as powerful if not more than the 360, so smoothness and data size shouldn't be a problem at all, even if it isn't a Blue-Ray disc sadly.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I'm glad you made his GLIDE the paper airplane. Some suggest that would be his Up Special but I think it's better as a glide, and opens up more possibilities for the Up Special.

OmegaXXII

Paper Glide definetly is one of his signature moves of all time, I mean who else does that? Totally unique indeed, anybody that says he's a clone or would be is WRONG.

Good to see Oasis at least supporting the idea, unlike Toad lol..=D

OmegaXXII

Haha, is Toad really that bad? Lol I used to consider him a running crybaby just by looking at him in Melee's Adventure Mode, so awesome.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I understand Toad is popular and iconic, but I can't support him as a playable character based only on that. Of the other options for a fifth Mario slot (WHICH AGAIN I DON'T FEEL IS NECESSARY), he is the least interesting. Let's just solve all these problems by making Paper Toad and giving him Bowser Jr's Magic Paintbrush.

So it is my duty to always be the nay-sayer for anything Toad related. :V

And to troll Berserker. :3

OmegaXXII

Ha, I see what you did there! :bee:

Paper Toad with paintbrush? NO, that's even worse since he would cut any chances of Bowser Jr. and P.Mario lol.. Don't ever suggest that again lol... Berserker might catch onto that.

Even though I support Paper Mario, I'd still like to see Bowser Jr, make the roster, any of his paintbrush techniques with splattering paint causing damage would be so awesome, I wonder what his Final Snadh would be? He totally needs to rock a "punk" like alternate costume with shades, leather jacket and all. =D

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I think in the MYM thread, someone suggested his Final Smash be creating a big puddle of paint/sludge which a Piranha Plant (MADE OF SLUDGE) comes out of and attacks.

I suppose it just depends on what you want to do with it. Could go the UNCREATIVE ROUTE and make it so his paintbrush begins spewing paint - adding even more globs (more damaging too!) to each attack. Kind of like R.O.B.'s. Could also summon some airships.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I hope ssb4 is more similar to brawl than melee. Melee looks very confusing and difficult for beginners to get used to.
As a casual player myself, I have to disagree with this entirely. Melee was way more fun for me and my other non-gamer friends and cousins because of how frantic it was. I love Brawl but I just hate how slow-paced it was. Slow-paced fighting games are a huge turnoff, IMO, especially a 2.5D game like Smash.

OmegaXXII

I think in the MYM thread, someone suggested his Final Smash be creating a big puddle of paint/sludge which a Piranha Plant (MADE OF SLUDGE) comes out of and attacks.

I suppose it just depends on what you want to do with it. Could go the UNCREATIVE ROUTE and make it so his paintbrush begins spewing paint - adding even more globs (more damaging too!) to each attack. Kind of like R.O.B.'s. Could also summon some airships.
Hmm...I liked the Piranha idea, I think someone suggested that he would draw some kind of rainbow or something, I'm not sure how it would work but it involved paint spattering everywhere causing massive damage I guess, I'm assuming he would have his bib of course since smash isn't canon.

God, I don't even know if Sakurai would acknowledge or would even consider Toad as his own entity,

He should stay as Peach moveset lol.. :troll::troll:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
He should stay as Peach moveset lol.. :troll::troll:
Actually, I'm pretty sure that was Sakurai's way of accommodating Toad due to the results of his polls. He knew he was popular so he wanted to use him IN SOME WAY. Honestly, I feel it's the best way to use Toad. He is, after all, a servant of Peach. Fitting that he would OFFER HIMSELF as a shield for her.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I've been wondering this for a while, but since Sakurai is going to have his team help him with character balance, could he possibly be involving them with other stuff too, like choosing characters to be in the game? It was to my understanding that Sakurai chose all of Brawl's characters all by himself. I could be wrong, though.

OmegaXXII

Nope, Sakurai is the boss regardless whether he has a team or not, he makes the final decisions and probably considers what characters he'll most likely include, this of course is not to say that he probably wouldn't take a suggestion from his development team, he might though, but overall it's Sakurai himself who calls the shots.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
You guys sure had an active night. I swear some of you never sleep.

OmegaXXII

Haha!! I slept for a couple of hours, but yet I'll have to be inactive later on. =\

Actually, I'm pretty sure that was Sakurai's way of accommodating Toad due to the results of his polls. He knew he was popular so he wanted to use him IN SOME WAY. Honestly, I feel it's the best way to use Toad. He is, after all, a servant of Peach. Fitting that he would OFFER HIMSELF as a shield for her.
Yea, I'm sure that's why he also accommodated Ridley to be an SSE boss as well, but the major difference is that Ridley is actually deserving and more demanded, unlike Toad who isn't as much, if Peach's moves were to stay the same then tough luck for Toad fans.

Berserker lol....

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Nope, Sakurai is the boss regardless whether he has a team or not, he makes the final decisions and probably considers what characters he'll most likely include, this of course is not to say that he probably wouldn't take a suggestion from his development team, he might though, but overall it's Sakurai himself who calls the shots.

Yeah, I know that, but didn't his team (HAL Laboratory) suggest him to put in classic NES characters like Ice Climbers, though, in Melee? That's why I was asking.

MechaWave

Smash Champion

Now first of all I do realize there is already a Paper Mario moveset but it seems rather incomplete and could be better to me. This is my take on his moveset and what it should be.

I'm planning on making this post look nicer but bear with me it took a few hours to create this. By the way Super Paper Mario was not used at all in this moveset (except Final Smash) because I don't like it very much. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door was used for the majority of this moveset except some partners are from the 64 game. When PM3DS comes out I'll edit this just in case there's something else to include.

DO NOT SKIM THROUGH THIS AND THEN POST SOMETHING IGNORANT LATER ON.
Sadly there is no "tl;dr" version and never will be.​

[collapse="General"]Introduction
Paper Mario is Mario but in paper form. If Link can have another version of him, why not Mario? However unlike Link/Toon Link Paper Mario is a very unique character that has moves completely separate of his counterpart. He shares properties of G&W's flat 3D model to make him look 2D.

Paper Mario has the most positive rep of being in the next Smash Bros. out of any other character, if not 2nd most.

I personally think Paper Mario has a high chance of being in the next Smash game just because he fits so well and is also having a new game being released next year.

Attributes
Paper Mario is a lightweight character with strong, long-ranged attacks. He is shorter than Mario but about the same in width. Side-by-side you can see Paper Mario is about half the height of Mario making him somewhat hard to hit. However he is KO'd easily because of his lightweight but his uniqueness and strength.

Strength: 8/10
Weight: 3.5/10 (One of the lightest; dies early.)
Speed: 7/10 (Faster than his counterpart but not too fast.)
Priority: 8/10 (All attacks have incredible priority.)
Attack Speed: 8/10 (A little faster than the Ice Climbers.)
Aerial Mobility: 7.5/10
Water Mobility: 10/10 (Can cross water fast as a boat.)
Shield: 5/10 (Average-sized. Only a little smaller than G&W's.)
Size: 4.5/10 (Average.)
Jump: 6/10 (Ground jump is average and second jump is somewhat above average.)
Range: 9/10 (Some attacks have average (5/10) range.)
Fastfall: 1/10 (2nd to Jigglypuff.)

Series Icon A paper airplane (I feel the regular mushroom doesn't fit quite in.)
Unlockable? Paper Mario must be unlocked. However, if there is another character to represent his series more than likely he won't be. I doubt it, though.
Wall Jump? No.
Crawl? Yes. (Transforms into a piece of paper rolled up.)
Glide? Yes. (Transforms into airplane.)
Paper Mario also transforms into a boat when on water. Fret not as you can still attack without lag from the incredibly fast transformation.

Playstyle
[collapse=Playstyle]Paper Mario is notorious for being a hard-to-grasp character but powerful and reliable. Once a player understands how to use him he can be a deadly character. Newbies who decide to main Paper Mario must understand his special attacks before playing him professionally.

Overview of Paper Mario
Paper Mario is a powerful character that can rack up damage easily with his high priority aerial attacks, especially Nair and Uair. He can also rack up damage using his dash attack and Dsmash. Paper Mario's metagame revolves staying on the ground as his mobility is good there.

Even though he has good aerial mobility, none of his aerials can kill reliably (unless you space Bair properly). Paper Mario can KO easily but opponents can also KO him easily.

Having the 2nd slowest fall speed and being very lightweight (being paper n' all) he has trouble living in the air and is KO'd easily vertically. Other characters need to get Paper Mario into the air to destroy many of his options.

All of Paper Mario smashes are very powerful in priority, knockback, damage and pretty much every area (except Dsmash because of extended hitstun.) Most importantly though, is that they are reliable because of their range. Usmash can KO in opponents who have bad options in the air or have bad aerial mobility. Paper Mario can move slightly with Usmash. Usmash however is hard to land and Paper Mario's least reliable smash attack. Fsmash can KO in many situations because of its quickness and range. Dsmash cannot kill by itself easily because its startup is somewhat slow. Paper Mario can, however, followup with Fsmash because Dsmash creates extended hitstun the longer it is charged.

Paper Mario has a very good projectile too, Ftilt, namely called "Hammer Throw". It can be compared to Yoshi's Egg Throw in similarity but with slightly longer range. The priority of the hammer he throws (he has a lot of hammers) is incredible. If the hammer is angled downwards it has a chance to spike in the air if it lands on its sweetspot. Lulz will be had when it happens. This move can help Paper Mario in many, many situations and he can be offensive or defensive with this move (though offense isn't such a good idea because of its range.) Ftilt is used to approach from the ground and camp, though it's not easy.

Paper Mario is not a very good aerial fighter and his aerials are usually used to rack damage. Uair and Nair have good abilities to rack up damage. Nair is used to approach in the air because its hitboxes last long and hit upwards. Sometimes it can combo into Uair. Bair is used space and KO Paper Mario's opponent if the opponent is open. Fair is a meteor smash that is somewhat harder to meteor cancel but can be done. If the sweetspot is missed the opponent is launched either upwards or horizontally, depending on where it hits and the DI. Dair (Ground Pound) is a stall-then-fall aerial like ZSS' dair. However Paper Mario is left open somewhat open for an attack. Dair is the only way Paper Mario can reach the ground or ledge safely.

Seems good so far— you get it? He's clearly unique already and easy to understand. You're probably thinking: "He's the opposite of Jigglypuff!" Well you can put it that way I guess. But knowing is half the battle. Now onto his special attacks (oh boy.)

Partners. The part of Paper Mario's metagame that everyone has to know about or will forever remain a newb. Unlike some other characters, who you can probably understand a little better the more you practice... "Oh Fire Falco sucks. Using Phantasm is faster and safer horizontally. OK!" It doesn't work that way (well it does a little bit, you'll figure out what partner is bad for you.) But understanding the underground things isn't as obvious. If you're wondering most people agree Lady Bow being the best partner. She lets you hide

What's interesting about Paper Mario is he has his own choices. You can select what partners you want in battle and what order. You can pick to use Bombette as your first partner when the battle starts and decide to leave Flurrie out of the partners you pull from Partner Exchange. This allows each Paper Mario main to have his/her own setup for their character. Paper Mario mains recommend to keep all partners in your Exchange but also want you to decide what partners you want to have in your specific order. If you don't select your partners from the character selection screen the game will decide for you. Each partner acts as a pseudo-shield for Paper Mario. (See the specials section in moveset for additional information. If you have questions please ask.)

Your opponent will have a difficult time trying to attack Paper Mario at times. Unlike Nana/Pikmin they can't be KO'd very easily and do not attack without your consent (you have to press Side-B or Up-B for them do actually do something for you). Opponents also can't grab partners, preventing them from attacking Paper Mario. You also don't have to chase after them if they are far away, they will come to you. But I don't want to keep rambling on something I already explained.

Partner Exchange (B) stops some vertical momentum and can help you live longer. But you'll be risking your current partner. Once you lose all your partner, pressing B makes Paper Mario crouch for a while. If someone attacks you Paper Mario he'll spin, returning damage and knockback. It's supposed to help you keep your stock if you somehow lost all your partners (seriously if you do you play terribly.) Unless you only chose 1 partner to use which isn't smart at all. Or going Level Zero Paper Mario (using no partners.)

Side-B, Partner Ability, is basically just using your partner's offensive attack. Most partners have useful offensive attacks but most have cooldown times to prevent them from being broken.

Up-B, Partner Recovery, lets your partner do an attack helping Paper Mario have a third jump and obviously live longer. Most partners have good recoveries as well. Unlike Partner Exchange when you have no partners, Paper Mario gets barely any recovery distance when he has no partners. He'll jump just a little but it's shorter than his second jump! You don't have to worry about this though because you'll usually have more than 3 partners before your stock is up.

Down-B is Badge Equip. Badges help Paper Mario with status effects that all last 30 seconds unless otherwise stated. You have to unlock 3 badges whose criteria are incredibly easy. All badges Paper Mario get are useful, except depending on the situation it might not be. Unlike partners you don't have to understand them. Usually you'll just be mashing Down-B.

Metagame
Paper Mario's metagame is pretty straight-forward if you understand everything about him. Paper Mario must try to remain grounded and not get hit. He can be KO'd at 75% without DI, 121% with DI, 145% with DI and Partner Exchange, and 170% with the badge Pretty Lucky/Lucky Day equiped and DI. Paper Mario must rack up damage with Dsmash, dash attack, uair and nair and Ms. Mowz's ability Love Slap (a free 25% if it hits!).

Will expand later.
[/collapse]

Pros/Cons

Pros
+ Great mobility
+ Can rack damage pretty fast
+ Unique playstyle
+ Can KO early
+ Range/grab range is amazing
+ Can evade attacks from water easily
+ Cannot be gimped easily
+ Pretty Lucky/Lucky Day stop momentum completely
+ Great at edgeguarding

Cons
- Is KO'd early
- Partners sometimes create problems
- Terrible recovery, depending on partner
- Playstyle is confusing to new players
- One of the hardest characters to understand
- Loses a lot of options in the air at high percents
- Falls very slowly, making KOing him vertically easy
- Badge Equip is random (however it is possible to set what badge PM gets from the roulette.)
- A few badges need to be unlocked (but are easy to acquire.)

Also, sounds from the Paper Mario series are used on PM, such as the Attack FX badges from his game. The hammer he uses is the Ultra Hammer.

• May update pros/cons later as that is all I can think of right now.

[collapse=Changelist]• Tuesday, 9 August 2011: Added get-up attacks, playstyle, a few images.
• Monday, 8 August 2011: Added grabs, credits, Kirby Hat explanation, and to-do list.
• Sunday, 7 August 2011: Created moveset with people blistering me about how good it looked but the confusion of partners.

The moveset is about 97% complete overall. I want to make it as good as can be. Paper Mario deserves it. ♥
[/collapse]
[/collapse]

[collapse="Moveset"]
[collapse="Regular Moves/Tilts"]Jab : Double Hammer
Paper Mario reaches for his hammer, hiting upward and downward at average range.

A very average/neutral move. Average range, speed, blah blah.

——————————————————————————————

Forward tilt : Hammer Throw
Paper Mario throws his hammer at either a high angle (control stick UP), average angle (control stick FORWARD) or low angle (control stick DOWN).

This move has incredible power, priority and range. It is one of Paper Mario's projectiles. He can be offensive or defensive with this move. PM can hit people above him (not directly above), in front of him or lower the angle for edgeguarding. Thanks to the range and power of the move PM can KO opponents that are near the blastline. If PM lowers the angle of the move and hits someone while airborne (and the attack lands on the sweetspot) the attack can spike for a surprise KO.

Up tilt : Jump
Paper Mario jumps slightly to attack above him.

A lagless move that attacks the opponent above PM with low knockback, allowing for PM to do multiple Utilts on his opponent to juggle. The range is alright for PM. Depending on the situation, using PM's up aerial is safer.

Down tilt : Hammer Pound
Paper Mario hits the ground with his hammer to create a small shockwave, hitting opponents.

A terrible move to use out-of-the-blue. It is only good for edgeguarding opponents who are avoiding you using the ledge. However you can infinite with the move against a wall because it has set knockback but the opponent can easily SDI out of the move above 43%.

Dash attack : Hammer Spin
Paper Mario spins around a few times with his hammer.

A good move to use because of the good pressuring abilities of the move. All hits have set knockback except the last one, which does a good deal of knockback but doesn't kill until >250%.
[/collapse]

[collapse="Smash Moves"]Note: All Smash Attacks PM has create a sound effect depending on the level charged and shows the charge meter from PM:TTYD above PM. See this link for what I mean.

Up Smash : Spring Jump
Paper Mario jumps an incredible distance to hit an opponent above him with incredible strength and knockback.

One of Paper Mario's killers. Other than that the move has no real other use in battle. However this move is very punishable if Paper Mario misses and opponents can easily air dodge the attack. Opponents have to be lured into the attack to land it safely. Depending on the height of the stage ceiling, Paper Mario can be close enough to the top blastline (he cannot, obviously, KO himself.) Plus, Paper Mario has the second slowest falling speed. In order to reach the ground safely, Paper Mario must use his down aerial attack Ground Pound to get back to the ground.

Side Smash : Power Smash
Paper Mario copies the exact same motion from his game. He applies the "Power Smash" badge then he lifts up his hammer above him, eyebrows angered and smashes it down.

A very powerful and reliable killer. Almost no lag and has long range. Also has some hitboxes behind PM that deals some damage.

Down Smash : Quake Hammer
Paper Mario copies the exact same motion from his game. He applies the "Quake Hammer" badge then he lifts up his hammer above him, eyebrows angered, jumps and smashes it into the ground, shaking the ground around him. PM's opponents are hit multiple times with damage while stuck in a hitstun pose (think of it like ZSS' dsmash at full charge). PM can then move freely around to attack his opponent while in hitstun with another killer or wait till the hitstun wears off to launch the opponent vertically.

A very interesting move. It does around 13% damage uncharged and 21% fully charged but does less damage overtime. However unlike most moves in PM's moveset the hitstun is extended allowing for a free followup. It allows PM to rackup damage and kill easily. If PM decides to not do anything (for some reason) the opponent will be knocked upwards after the hitstun wears off. By itself it kills later than most of PM moves. Most moves PM has kills around 100% (with DI) while this kills around 150% without DI. It is best to use a followup attack. Its range is incredible, by the by.
[/collapse]

[collapse="Aerial Moves"]Paper Mario's aerials are nothing special.

Neutral aerial : Tornado Spin
Paper Mario spins with arms and legs out hitting opponents a few times.

It has good range and deals a swell amount of damage. Can be used to approach in the air.

Up aerial : Spinning Cap
Paper Mario takes off his hat and twirls it above him, hitting opponents a few times.

Basically like Nair but has better priority. A good option to use other than Utilt to attack someone above him.

Back aerial : Hammer Pan
Paper Mario swooshes his hammer behind him.

One of those typical Bairs: has properties of a sex kick with good priority and good for edgeguarding. One of PM's spacers.

Down aerial : Ground Pound
Paper Mario spins quickly and falls downwards with supersonic speed. A stall-then-fall aerial.

Overly powerful on both the ground and air. It can spike in the air if it hits but you'll be risking a stock.

Forward aerial : Hammer Spike
Paper Mario puts one foot above him and raises his hammer to hit his opponent with great force.

A safer spike and powerful.
[/collapse]

[collapse="Special Moves"]About Partners
Partners are one of allies Paper Mario uses and that follow behind him everywhere, even in the air. They have their own percentage and weight. Think of them like Olimar's Pikmin but only with one of their own moves and Nana combined. Each partner has one ability unique to them that can either be useful or pathetic. Once a partner is KO'd the next partner in the order the player picked before the battle is automatically pulled. Partners can be chosen like Sheik on the character selection screen. The order can also be chosen and partners you don't want pulled can be chosen as well. While partners don't have much use other than one attack they can help protect Paper Mario as they usually slack behind Paper Mario somewhat but can be gimped easily away from Paper Mario. The farther away they are the quicker they return. Unlike Nana they have infinite jumps and do not attack on their own if Paper Mario is, oh say, grabbed. They'll just stand there. They can only die by being KO'd. Badges do not affect them. There can only be 1 partner on the field behind PM. You cannot "desync" them to DI them. They will DI on their own if possible as they have AI of some sort. If Paper Mario somehow loses all partners in one stock he must be KO'd to get them back (yes, this means his recovery does not exist unless you glide.) He will get all his partners back and have them at 0% if he loses a stock. Also all partners get their own color change just like Paper Mario himself.

Neutral special : Partner Exchange / Super Guard
Paper Mario exchanges a partner with the one he has.

Basically what it says. Virtually no lag and cancels vertical momentum. If Paper Mario has no partners the move is then Super Guard:

Paper Mario hides under his cap for 3 seconds or until the button is pressed. The opponent's attack is backfired.

It's the same as Marth's I keep it at that.

Side special : Partner Ability
The partner currently behind Paper Mario does their ability.

Note: I didn't want to include too many partners because I thought it would be unreal. If you want me to add more go ahead and suggest that to me.

Bombette : Homing Bomb
Bombette homes on the enemy while her fuse is lit. If her fuse explodes, she explodes herself. She then launches completely vertically (think Jigglypuff's Rest). The more percent she has the farther she'll go, meaning she can KO herself. She is heavy and is KO'd around 100% without DI.

Parakarry : Shell Shot
Homes in on one opponent for a powerful hit. Very useful at high percents. He is a lower middle weight and is KO'd around 75% without DI.

Lady Bow : Outta Sight
Hides Paper Mario in the shadows for a maximum of 5 seconds or until the button is pressed again. She is the most favorable partner as Paper Mario can already KO easily by himself and hiding with Bow is effective. Paper Mario can move around while outta sight (note he can still be seen, just transparent.) You cannot use this move until 15 seconds have passed. She is very light and is KO'd around 60% without DI.

Watt : Mega Shock
Shocks all opponents and paralyzes them. Must be charged and uses the Paper Mario charge bar. Watt is very useful in doubles play. He is light and is KO'd around 65% without DI.

Goombella : Rally Wink
Kisses Paper Mario and recovers 5%. However it can only be used every 20 seconds, so the usefulness of the move isn't much. She is light and is KO'd around 65% without DI.

Flurrie : Big Breasts Dodgy Fog
Flurrie kisses Paper Mario allowing him to be dodgy which makes some moves go right past Paper Mario, lasting around 10 seconds. It is useful but it's a game of chance. Not all attacks pass through PM so you'll still have to be just as defensive. She is heavy and is KO'd around 90% without DI.

Yoshi Kid : Gulp
Yoshi Kid gulps one opponent. Unlike Yoshi, however, Yoshi Kid can either spit them back out dealing 12% damage or follow through with an egg. There is a 2 second window. If Side-B isn't pressed in 2 seconds Yoshi Kid will automatically spit out the opponent in an egg. Otherwise pressing the button again allows you to spit the opponent out. Yoshi Kid is light and is KO'd around 65% without DI.

Vivian : Fiery Jinx
Vivian attacks all opponents with fire that can KO. If the opponent is not KO'd the fire burns them for additional damage, similar to the flower effect. She is light and is KO'd around 65% without DI. Note she does not jump, but has an endless "leg" (you'll have to look at PMTTYD videos to see what I mean.)

Ms. Mowz : Love Slap
This attack is short ranged but if you managed to make it hit your opponent is dealt 14%-22% damage. She is light and is KO'd around 75% without DI.

Up special : Partner Recovery
The partner currently behind Paper Mario does their recovery to help Paper Mario.

Bombette : Bomb Recovery
Bombette lits her fuse and in 3 seconds she explodes with high vertical distance.

Parakarry : Air Lift
Parakarry graps Paper Mario and lifts him either upwards (control stick UP) or left/right (control stick LEFT/RIGHT). This move can make Paper Mario and Parakarry very vunerable as you cannot move freely. Once your direction is chosen it's stays that way for around 3.5 seconds then you will fall helplessly. They both have super armor.

Lady Bow : Fan Bat
Bow grabs her fan and wacks Mario in the direction based on the control stick. Think of it like the space animals' (Fox/Falco/Wolf) Up+B but with better control. It can also KO.

Watt : Burn
Watt burns Paper Mario making him jump incredibly high at an angle. You can control Paper Mario slightly. It also makes the PEWWWWWW sound from Paper Mario (the game).

Goombella : Super Jump
Paper Mario sits on top of Goombella's cap while she jumps high.

Flurrie : Gale Force
Flurrie blows Paper Mario (lol). The control for this is lackluster.

Yoshi Kid : Egg Throw
Yoshi Kid gulps Paper Mario and throws him. Basically just like Yoshi's Up+B.

Vivian : Veil
Vivian: Veil. Vivian grabs Paper Mario and takes him offscreen under the lower blastline (or if there isn't, she takes him under the ground) and throws him on the stage. However you must be quick as the special is very fast.

Ms. Mowz : Tease
Ms. Mowz dances around and slaps Paper Mario horizontally. It has almost no vertical distance.

Down special : Badge Equip
A roulette block appears above Paper Mario's head. He then hits it. A badge appears in the box while Paper Mario proceeds to attach it to him. Each badge lasts 30 seconds. Press the button while a badge is equipped to dequip it. Only one badge is allowed at a time.

Badges are another big part of Paper Mario's metagame. He can either get a helpful badge or a bad one. Some people may believe that it is unfair but most of the badges don't give him a huge advantage. You can also set what badges you can get in the Item Switch (which is what PM mains should always do.) TO's can also force some badges to be disabled but if they are all disabled then a huge part of PM's metagame is deleted. Only 3 badges must be unlocked but are fairly easy to acquire. Note some badges can be equipped to his partners but only one badge can be allowed, even if it's on a partner. Badges are dequiped if he loses a stock (Lucky Start is different.)

If any of you have suggestions for more badges please do. I'd like to keep it canon and realistic.

Badge : Defend Plus
Gives Paper Mario SLIGHTLY extra defense against elemental attacks.

Badge : Double Pain
Paper Mario is given double the damage of all attack. This badge is always OFF and must be turned ON before a match starts (but who would do that?).

Badge : Fire Drive
Gives the element of fire to all attacks involving Paper Mario's hammer. This makes the range of the hammer attacks slightly increase.

Badge : Hammerman
Gives Paper Mario some extra damage to his attacks involving his hammer but all other attacks lose some.

Badge : Jumpman
Gives Paper Mario some extra damage to his attacks not involving his hammer (except specials).

Badge : Happy Heart
Paper Mario's percent is recovered by 2% every 5 seconds

Badge : Happy Heart P
This is given to Paper Mario's partner. Is the same as Happy Heart.

Badge : Ice Power
Gives the element of ice to all attacks involving Paper Mario's hammer. This makes the power of the hammer attacks slightly increase. Only smash attacks can freeze opponents.

Badge : Power Rush
If Paper Mario's percent is above 125% his moves are increased in power by half.

Badge : Mega Rush
When Paper Mario is above 150% his attack power is twice the power.
HOW TO UNLOCK: Play as Paper Mario 5 times.

Badge : Lucky Day
Has a chance of stopping Paper Mario's momentum after being hit by a powerful attack. When this happens he will freeze in midair while a sound effect and 'LUCKY' appear over his head.
HOW TO UNLOCK: Defeat a level 9 Paper Mario CPU.

Badge : Pretty Lucky
Has a chance of stopping Paper Mario's momentum after being hit by a powerful attack. When this happens he will freeze in midair while a sound effect and 'LUCKY' appear over his head. However this badge has less of that chance than Lucky Day but this badge is more selected than Lucky Day.

Badge : Lucky Start
Paper Mario will either become dogdy or have extended invincibility (the usual 2 seconds is now 5 seconds) when he loses a stock with this badge equipped. It only has a chance of coming in the roulette when Paper Mario's percent is above 50%.

Badge : P-Up, D-Down
Paper Mario's attack is increased but defense is decreased. Depending on preference, this badge is usually disabled.

Badge : P-Down, D-Up
Paper Mario's defense is increased but attack is increased.

Badge : Piercing Blow
Allows any of Paper Mario's hammer attacks to ignore the weight of his opponent. While the effect lasts the usual 30 seconds, you can only use it once then it is automatically dequiped.

Badge : Power Plus
Gives Paper Mario SLIGHTY extra power to all attacks.

Badge : Return Postage
All attacks given to Paper Mario are given back to the opponent with half the damage. If Paper Mario is inflicted with 10% the opponent will suffer 5%. This badge does not return knockback to the opponent, nor hitstun.
HOW TO UNLOCK: Defeat Classic Mode with Paper Mario on Normal difficulty.

Badge : Shrink Stomp
If you land any aerial attacks or Utilt on your opponent while they're on the ground they will shrink until your badge is dequiped.

Badge : Sleepy Stomp
Sleepy Stomp: If you land any aerial attacks or Utilt on your opponent while they're on the ground they will fall asleep until your badge is dequiped.

Badge : Zap Tap
Zap Tap: Paper Mario is electrical. If the enemy attempts to attack you using ground moves they will suffer hitstun and 2% damage.
[/collapse]

[collapse="Grabs and Throws"]Grab : Range
Paper Mario's partner grabs the opponent.

All partners grab the same distance. Shorter than Dedede's but still good range.

Grab : Pummel
Paper Mario's partner pummels the opponent.

All partners do the same damage (2%) and speed, so I don't need to provide specific analysis. Pretty fast but don't expect more than 2 hits. When the control stick is pressed to throw the partner gives the opponent to Paper Mario.

Grab : Up throw
Paper Mario jumps upwards a bit and releases the opponent.

It's a good idea to followup with Uair if possible. Does 10%.

Grab : Back throw
Paper Mario hits the opponent backwards with his hammer.

Paper Mario's most powerful throw with good knockback. Does 13%.

Grab : Down throw
Paper Mario does a quick ground pound onto the opponent.

S'alright. Kind of slow. 9%.

Grab : Forward throw
Paper Mario spins forward, releasing the opponent.

The only "clone" move, and that is Luigi's. Paper Mario's weakest throw but has good knockback. 8%.
[/collapse]

[collapse="Etc."]Duck : Crouch
Paper Mario hides under his cap like when you press 'Defend' in PMTTYD from the Tactics option.

A good crouch and looks amusing. :3

Get-up : Attack
Paper Mario spins his hammer both directions and jumps up.

Pretty slow. It is better to roll up.

Ledge attack : <100%
Paper Mario smashes his hammer upwards and flips up to the stage.

One of the best ledge attacks. Has good knockback to allow Paper Mario to be safer than rolling onto the stage. 7%.

Ledge attack : >100%
Paper Mario spins while spinning his hammer similar to Kirby's Side-B in the air in Melee.

Slow startup but s'alright. 9%.
[/collapse]

[collapse="Final Smash"]Final Smash : Final Battle

Paper Mario calls the Star Spirits to attack one opponent, the Crystal Stars to attack the other, and the Pure Hearts for the third.

It is all finished off with the Showstopper Crystal Star knocking each opponent offscreen.
[/collapse]

[collapse="Other"]Alternate Costumes (partners also receive changes)
- Regular color
- L emblem (Luigi)
- W emblem (Wario)
- L+W emblem (Waluigi)
- Orange
- Pink
- White

Taunts
Up taunt
Paper Mario does the motion from when he gets Star Points while the word STYLISH appears and the sound effect from the game appears.

Side taunt
Paper Mario spins in place like in the original Paper Mario.

Down taunt
Paper Mario's partner says a comment from a dialogue box. If Goombella is chosen and a Paper Mario stage is chosen, she will tattle the other character, similar to Snake's codec.

Kirby Hat

Kirby copies Paper Mario's Superguard ability, not Partner Exchange.

Stage: Currently being done by Star.

Credits:
• berserker01 – Gave me a few layout options from his very nice Toad moveset.
• Oasis_S – Gave me the idea of Paper Mario's crawl his ability to roll-up into a piece of rolled-up paper like he does in PM:TTYD.
• HextupleyooDOT – I thought people should know his blog post helped me. The only part of this moveset that doesn't really correspond to Sakurai's way of thinking is the partner system. But if you think about it I tried my best to explain how it could work out. Oh and the Kirby hat.

Will add more later.
[/collapse]

[collapse="To-Do List"]• Update playstyle to be more understandable.
• Expand metagame.
• Fix the few minor grammar issues.
• Add more images to give an idea of the move. I am willing to manipulate the sprites from the TTYD but there's a 99% chance I won't animate them.
• Change all apostrophe’s to the correct Unicode character (’). I hate '. Thank the lord for Notepad.
• There’s always a possibility I will update this moveset. Paper Mario is the best goddamn character ever.
[/collapse]
[/collapse]

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I want barack 0bama and Sarah Palin to be ssb characters.
Wow, you're the 1st person here to hype for Mii's to be playable. lol

OmegaXXII

Not really, I suggested Goku and Vegeta as Mii's as well, it should happen though. :awesome:

@Mecha: That moveset is impressive, tbh I never gave my moveset much thought, it was actually my 1st moveset I ever created, ever since I've been doing them pretty much in-depth, some idea with the badges and character swaping ideas, very good! :)

Also, have you checked out Starphoenix's Paper Mario stage concept? It is very interesting indeed, perhaps you should take a look at that and give your opinion over it as well.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
@Mecha: That moveset is impressive, tbh I never gave my moveset much thought, it was actually my 1st moveset I ever created, ever since I've been doing them pretty much in-depth, some idea with the badges and character swaping ideas, very good! :)

Also, have you checked out Starphoenix's Paper Mario stage concept? It is very interesting indeed, perhaps you should take a look at that and give your opinion over it as well.
Thanks. Want to hear something funny? It's actually my first moveset ever. xD

And no I haven't. I'll check it out.

berserker01 said:
I sense that the moveset seemed to have the same layout as my usual movesets
Yeah it does. I'm going to add a credits section later since I don't want people thinking of me stealing.

It's alright.

I'm adding that to the SSB 4 list of movesets.

Check my sig. There are a lot.

unnecessary collapse jiodahsfshf nldlhcvlckxvkxhvlcjb cjc aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

^^^ I did that to show my sig. Something wrong is with the sig button :p

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Really? Your 1st!?

Aw, that is impressive considering you put alot of thought on it, you even said it was incomplete? O_o
It's about 95% complete. I have to update the grabs, add more pictures, create information for Kirby (I'm sure people will wonder), increase information in the 'others' collapse and color to it because I hate making long posts like that without a lot of coloring.

OmegaXXII

Yea, I'm kinda of the same, you want it to look as neat as possible, especially since potential supporters or anti supporters would probably want to see it.

Anyway here Star's Stage Concept, I think it's good, what do you think?

So, after deliberating between three different stage ideas I have finally settled upon the one I want to go with. At first I was apprehensive about doing a stage for this game as the latest installment hasn't been released yet, until I remembered something... A very central setting is going to be returning, which leads me to believe that this will be the locale chosen as it is bound to be important once more. Without needing to say anymore, lets dive in!

Why if it isn't Toad Town? This was the main town in the original Paper Mario for the 64 and will be making a return in Paper Mario 3DS. So why shouldn't it be the stage? However, the stage itself will be set in the area with the fountain. Now the fountain in the background has a platform on it, when the fountain spews water the platform will rise. Otherwise it lies on top of it. The other platforms are left and right of the fountain are static. A neat little feature is you can "rip" the platforms. After a prolonged exposure to damage, being paper and all, they can tear and become unusable.

Small thumbnail is small

Such a happy and cheery place! Bright, colorful, smiling Paper Toads roaming the streets carefree. Ahhhh... Nevermind the fact that this series has been home to some of the darkest Mario characters... But wait! Something is wrong? Why is there an audience below the stage and curtains folding to the side? Because even though it is "Toad Town" it is incorporating the "audience/battle system" found in Paper Mario 2. Making the battlefield look as though it were just part of a play! But what about the Toads walking in the background? What level of Inception-esque madness is this? Don't worry about those details, just enjoy the conglomeration. Be careful to appease the crowd with a good fight, bore them and you may suffer... Falling lights, smoke, rocks thrown from the audience; all of this can happen to you if you don't put on a good show. Fight well and you will be applauded and cheered! Because there is no love like Goomba love!

Stage Example:

.........------
....---..___..---....

Stage Name - Toad Town
Icon - Mushroom w/ thick outline

Paper Mario/Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - Toad Town/Toad Town
Paper Mario - Tubba Blubba
Paper Mario - Tutankoopa
Paper Mario - Bowser, King of Koopas
Paper Mario 2: The Thousand Year Door - X-naut Fortress
Paper Mario 2: The Thousand Year Door - Shadow Queen
Paper Mario 2: The Thousand Year Door - File Load
Paper Mario 2: The Thousand Year Door - Dooplis
Super Paper Mario - Mr. L and Big Bro
Super Paper Mario - The Ultimate Show
Super Paper Mario - Francis
Super Mario RPG - Beware the Forest Mushrooms (per Square's allowance)

Wow, I didn't expect choosing music from this series to be so tough. Some of my hardest decisions next too Starhip Mario and Robot Museum. That isn't even covering the inevitable Paper Mario 3DS tracks, but I'll cross that bridge once it comes. For now I'll just list what we have. Hopefully you all enjoy it, it isn't actually as cluttered as some may think it may sound. The stage is spacious enough to have both the audience and the town. If it doesn't go over so well I can always revise it. lol

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Anyway here Star's Stage Concept, I think it's good, what do you think?
I really like it although I would like the stage to, overtime, transition between different backgrounds. The audience members can also do the wacky things they always do too.

And the icon reminds me of updating my post. The icon for the Paper Mario series was going to be different than the regular ol' mushroom. It's a paper plane which fits in nicely. It's the series' signature!

D

Deleted member

Toad said:
And that's where Daisy faces one fatal problem. Can anyone prove that Daisy is so important to the series?
And this is why Daisy will probably not be playable in SSB4. IMO, it is not relevancy, sales, or popularity that is the main factor, it is how important you are to the series. This is why Marth is playable in Melee despite at the time, not having been in a game for nearly eight years.
Hex said:
I really want SSB4 to be not just a great Smash game, but a premiere title in terms of presentation and production values. Something truly deserving of a 10.
You're not alone in having extremely high expectations for the game. If he can meet those expectations, I will never need another Smash game.
CrimsonFeint said:
Hey guys, I'm creating my blog now for our P.C.A.M. thing. What has been the norm so far on what needs to be included in these blogs? What have you guys included so far?
I have included a petition, Starphoenix GIF for the character you're supporting, links to other sites (You only really need to link to PCAM though others are optional), pages for home, essay on the character you support, a page dedicated to move set examples, and links (I would recommend putting in links to PCAM, the social group in here, and other places where support for the characters are done. I'll help you help this evening by PMing you how to implemented these into your site.

Anyway, looking forward to your sites being created.
KumaOso said:
Change in DI system to allow actual combos instead of allowing successful strings of reads only.
Attacks can be chained together like Lucario in Project M.
Reinvent the shield system. Change it to where the shield still breaks, but no longer shrinks over time (think Yoshi) and the shield only blocks certain attacks depending on the direction you block, allowing for high, low, and crossup attacks.
Cancels into jumps and specials.
Tech grabs so command grabs no longer feel redundant.
Possibly a Super Meter to perform final smashes with an input of down-down B. (Very controversial).
I like all of them except Super Meter.
BlueZelda said:
I hope tripping is kept in ssb4, but I want it to happen less and i want the tripping rate same for all characters.
No, tripping must go.
Hoots said:
I feel like Saki is up there too.
Saki has a solid shot of being playable, but I think lack of game appearance since October, 2000 and only appearing in a cameo keeps me from expecting him in an universal roster.

With that said, to everyone, who would you be shocked if the character was not playable, individually?

My answers is Ridley and Little Mac.

Will be back this evening.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Sarah Palin!? Oh god!! Just NO!!' Obama?! Meh.... How about Clinton better yet Phoenix Wright.

As much as I hate Sarah Palin, Obama is FAR worse. She may be an idiot, but she's not an idiot AND a statist. But enough about politics. I would love to see Paper Mario. He's my favorite of the three possible non Geno Mario reps. However, don't you think having that many possible moves would be a tad too much for just one character?

OmegaXXII

Yup, it should resemble that of his series, not necessarly Mario's, but people tend to argue that he will indeed he considered part of the Mario franchise which I have no problem with, just as long as Sakurai gives him his iconic icon then I'll be fine.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
However, don't you think having that many possible moves would be a tad too much for just one character?
No. That is why I limited it. When I was creating this I thought of what it would be like if Paper Mario was actually in the game. I thought of how Paper Mario has loyal mains and what they would discuss about.

I mean think about it. You see people remembering all of these techniques and the stale moves in Brawl and those ATs in Melee do you? Paper Mario in his own right is a fairly simple character if you take the partners out. And even with partners in he's still a normal character.

Thino

Smash Master
As much as I hate Sarah Palin, Obama is FAR worse. She may be an idiot, but she's not an idiot AND a statist. But enough about politics. I would love to see Paper Mario. He's my favorite of the three possible non Geno Mario reps. However, don't you think having that many possible moves would be a tad too much for just one character?

this is why we need miis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom