• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Polygons and whatnot (mostly polygons)

Purple

Hi guys!
How to learn : bash your head into the book.

There's a move where a guy ****ing just flipped through a book and knew the entire book, I wish I could do that.

Geist

Smash Master
Savants are people that highly specialize in a certain task.
Someone who can finger through a book and memorize it would have some severe eidetic memory. Both commonly accompany autism though.
Also movies tend to blow photographic memories way out of proportion.

EDIT: gtfo ramses

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
And i'm saying - Savants.

There's this dude that apparently know everything that happened on a certain date (To his knowledge) and and recall it.

Dates, mutha****as, DATES!

Geist

Smash Master
Dear purple
I will whip up a neck tutorial just for you when I get home, then I will tell you everything that is wrong in a comically over critical examination, and if possible, with an australian accent.

:phone:

global-wolf

Smash Champion
Portrait update time? I have so much do do when I get home ah.

And Roxy, make the back of the neck starting from where the ear connects and draw it to about where the arrow is and start sloping away, and the front of the neck slightly behind the chin and continue like an inch and then sharply curve right. Then start the shoulder on the other side of the chin a little up and make it a really shallow slope down.

^This probably wasn't useful at all but Bren will make a tutorial and all will be well :D

Alley Cat

Smash Apprentice
While im at bren's place I might as well help with the neck tutorial too :0

1) I didn't realize how many females posted on here O_o
2) I was thinking of doing the self-portrait thing, but after checking out the first page.... yeaaaa /intimidation. Whatever, I'll do it anyway Q.Q
Don't let girls intimidate you bro
;D

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Not entirely spectacular, but I drew this and submitted it to Starmen.net

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
Real quick sketch.

I don't ****ing get necks.

GEEEEIST

My advice would be to toss up a mirror and try to do it from memory based on what you see. Necks took me a while, and can still give me trouble. The biggest thing when trying to make multiple characters is remember different body types and such, so you can't always have the same neck.

Stick with ONE character, and draw them over, and over, and over, AND OVER until you have them DOWN. Then move on to a different. This is what I did with a character I WAS gonna have for a story/comic. Never got anywhere. :(

Feel free to ignore me, my head is killing me, I'm home from work due to doctors orders because of chest pains, and butterflies.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Part of the issue might be the shape of your dude's skull, the caps of human skulls are not -quite- perfect spheres, they are (in general) elongated a bit. Your skull doesn't appear to go back in space far enough even factoring in foreshortening.

From Andrew Loomis' Drawing the Head and Hands (it's a drawing but you can still get the basic idea):

At a 3/4 angle, in your drawing the curve of the back of the head should go farther to the left of the ears and the neck curves from there. O D I N's got the right idea though, drawing self portraits/other people from life will help a lot, you just have to visualize the head as a 3d form and not a bunch of lines. I agree that necks are weird though :V

Geist

Smash Master
Alley Cat and I whipped up a tutorial last night, but it was 2 in the morning when we finished so I didn't get to post it.

Also it was pretty fun, so I imagine I might do these for other things, granted that people actually find them useful. I've never done a tutorial, so I don't know if it is or not.

Here you go purple.

Alley Cat

Smash Apprentice
Well that's kinda nice to know we didn't waste a good 5 hours. :p Necks are actually really easy, they're just misunderstood.
And I realized how hard it is to draw something wrong once you know how it's properly done. I have no idea why, but when you purposefully screw up it looks so obvious and overexaggerated

Also whoever was drawing in black has gross handwriting. It's like they're constantly yelling at you or something.

Geist

Smash Master
Yes drawing more is a beautiful thing. Also, reference is a lifesaver. As long as you pay attention to what you're drawing from reference, you won't need to use it again.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Lol naaah. It's because of my post count.
...I don't know the rankings or whatever xP

...I MISS MY CUSTOM TITLE ; ~;

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
it's just unexplainable man. truly a mystery, like the mysteries of the Holy Rosary

i hear the ladies are gorgeous in vancouver

Geist

Smash Master
moving into my newwww apartment on thurs! my scanner's over there too haha
Good luck on the move man!
it's just unexplainable man. truly a mystery, like the mysteries of the Holy Rosary

i hear the ladies are gorgeous in vancouver
That they are Chok, that they are.

And I've actually heard the story of the negative post count before lmao
I know your secret :V

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
you have a ton of posts LOL how come i've never seen you before? name change?

and thanks geist

anyway

i just spammed too much for post count in 2008~2009 and the mods got really annoyed, so they reversed my post count rather than perma-banning me.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Yeah, so I saw that.

Because when you go to the members list and check top posters, you're in, like, top 10.

:|

Wish I could do that.

EDIT - lol, Loomis. That is always referenced in /ic/ (the art board of 4chan, and full of cocky *****es too that think everything is bad).

Nice tut, Geist.

:)

EIDT EVEN FURTHER -

I can tell you my problem - while the neck area is an issue, it's more trying to envision it in 3D for me. And more specifically the back side. As I tend to draw out the muscles (I do freaks - look at my Akuma) and I tend to forget there's gray area where muscles simply connect and not build. Then there's also the lower abdomen/special area. Envisioning that in 3D is tough for me too.

I can tell you, though, I find the human figure, and even further, the face, so damn fascinating. To draw, study, experiment with. HNNNNNG

Purple

Hi guys!
It's so funny, because the person who was here when you registered chok, happens to be the top poster.

Which is just like LUL wow

Top Bottom