• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Mah0ne's Stuff about Puff

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I'll be there and game for some puff dittos X)

If ganon tends to be doing retreating fairs alot then as soon as he jumps to space another one jump as if you are going through him and fair... usually combos into another fair.

As for fox's uthrow uair, I think I am going to start doing this when I get grabbed by fox:

1. DI the throw behind fox, and if he can still get to me, smash DI the hit horizontally toward him (control stick then Cstick 1ms after)

2. If he gets the grab uthrow off too fast for me to DI the throw behind him, Ill hold up and smash DI the hit up (control stick then Cstick 1ms after)

3. At high percents DI the throw up and jump away from the hit.

For #2 I am still debating doing the Azen technique and smash DIing the uair down.....
Or you can do that hungrybox bullcrap and sdi down and rest fox before the second hit comes out.

crush

Smash Master
It's true. Armada's got nothing on crush.

:phone:
Armada also got a crush on nothing. so he's asexual.

@guy with gay avatar
when hbox rests fox's uair he doesnt sdi the first hit down he just mashes down b and it usually comes out before uair or trades with it.
edit: nevermind ninja'd by tekk

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Oh was that it? It's still pretty insane lol

I'm guessing it's just a mindgame and not something you could consistently pull off.

Tekk

Smash Lord
It's more or less like resting falcon's Dthrow knee... It's something you can't really predict, it's more of a reaction.

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
Yeah I've done it before, it doesn't seem too reliable to me. I'd rather get in the habit of trying to sDI out of the uair differently. But if (for my #2 below) I never seem to get the hang of those two techniques, then I may try a random mash downB.

Like if I can't DI the throw behind fox fast enough and I predict he's gonna misspace it a bit, then I may try to go for the rest. Does anyone know if the fox needs to be higher up or lower than normal for the rest to hit?????

Cause I seem to catch on to how a fox player delivers his uair.

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
RoH with Captain jack in your pool, I don't know if that's awesome or unfortunate for you lol.

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
Yeah I don't know who ycz6 is or KID Googles. But I am assuming Captain Jack is still ****. And depending on if Jugleguy is up on his practice, he may be beatable for me. Im content with my pool ^.^

Just watched some vids. Where do you counterpick against a Samus? They stay alive even longer than Jiggs on Dreamland....

Mahone

Smash Champion
hmmm... don't know anything about samus lol...

I think imma be at that tourney before apex like 5 miles away, and i'll probably be at apex just as a spectator since i didn't really wanna spend money on all that ****...

Also, im in Hershey, PA AKA the Sweetest place on EARTH.... so you should play me today RoH

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I've found FoD to work well against Samus. Samus almost never kills off the top (maybe a dtilt at high percents at best) so you could bring her to stadium, or even maybe yoshi's. I'll have a talk with the samus in my region later and post what he thinks.

idea

Smash Master
Yeah I don't know who ycz6 is or KID Googles. But I am assuming Captain Jack is still ****. And depending on if Jugleguy is up on his practice, he may be beatable for me. Im content with my pool ^.^

Just watched some vids. Where do you counterpick against a Samus? They stay alive even longer than Jiggs on Dreamland....
umm vs. samus...i'm never sure where to take her myself, but i have a feeling you don't want to go to stadium. i think samus likes the platform layout (missiles + camping) and low ceiling (as long as you don't kill her off the top more).

yoshi's is probably better for samus just psychologically, 'cause she wants to kill jigglypuff faster, and jigglypuff is more okay with taking her time to kill samus.

dreamland is probably a good choice, since jiggs can edgeguard samus, and samus can't really edgeguard jiggs. her recovery takes forever and goes in a predictable trajectory, and she can't easily stop recovering to hit you in the middle of it, so you can follow her way offstage and hit her with anything. it takes a while, but eventually she'll die that way. if you can consistently kill her horizontally there then you win, 'cause she can't consistently kill you at all.

battlefield seems pretty neutral for both of you. if you find yourself killing her off the top a lot, consider stages with a lower ceiling. in that case it might actually be good to go to yoshi's.

i'm sure jiggs does better on brinstar, but i never play there so i dunno what to tell you.

in general i'd say dreamland and battlefield are the safest choices. fod is probably fine too.

and uh, spam bair.

captain jack used to be a good sheik main several years ago...but 1. he has to be extraordinarily rusty by now, and 2. he probably has very little jigglypuff practice. things like crouching under sheik's grab, matchup specific stuff sheik has to not do, he probably isn't going to know about much. so i would just use standard jigglypuff tricks against him and let the matchup take care of itself :p

edit: you can rest a lot of samus' moves out of shield, especially dsmash and dash attack, but also other ones sometimes...just be careful about it if you're not confident it'll hit. for a rest punish she can do dair to charged shot for pretty good damage/chance to kill you.

Tekk

Smash Lord
Dreamland is the best cp against samus, but they'll ban it.
FoD is pretty good, it's my go-to cp vs samuses.

I also pick Battlefield in case of DBR.
Yoshi's story would be good if it hadn't those terrible blastzones.

Ban FD/PS; I always ban FD and I've never been taken to PS by a samus, so I don't know much about this stage.

idea

Smash Master
lolol

i might very well not end up playing lozr, a lot of big tournaments end up changing pools at the last second. like the last apex, where, if i remember correctly, i thought all i had to do was beat like a link player, and i ended up having to play wobbles.

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
Hmm maybe I won't have to play against cyrain then :)
--
Against samus, get her in the air. your up air goes through everything, even her d-air.

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
hmmm... don't know anything about samus lol...

I think imma be at that tourney before apex like 5 miles away, and i'll probably be at apex just as a spectator since i didn't really wanna spend money on all that ****...

Also, im in Hershey, PA AKA the Sweetest place on EARTH.... so you should play me today RoH
Dude I would but that's like a 5 hour drive man. PA is horizontally larger than ya think.

lolol

i might very well not end up playing lozr, a lot of big tournaments end up changing pools at the last second. like the last apex, where, if i remember correctly, i thought all i had to do was beat like a link player, and i ended up having to play wobbles.
Yeah at pound 5 my friend really wanted to get out of 1st round pools (top 3 made it out). So he beat the one kid, Favid, and thought he had secured 3rd place in his pool to G$ and Dart!. But then they threw in a late add of Azen, who took 1st in the pool lololol my friend didn't realize it was the real Azen til after the first match. He thought it was a nuub picking a pro name.

So is it for sure only top 2 that make it out of 1st round pools at Apex?

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Roh, Kidgoggles is a famous making who I fairy experienced in Melee. Watch out. I will be at Apex, and and need to play Peach/Puff more. Hungrybox, I want to money match you...

Tekk

Smash Lord
Hbox played so ****ING well vs ARmada's YL this time...
Also I'm gonna watch and rewatch that set vs mango over and over til I **** all foxes

boomrested

Smash Journeyman
Hbox played so ****ING well vs ARmada's YL this time...
Also I'm gonna watch and rewatch that set vs mango over and over til I **** all foxes
Hbox did AMAZING! And now there's all this puff hate going around which is pissing me off so much, hungrybox played so well and people are saying ahh we should ban puff. So dumb.

:phone:

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Chill out boom, we've been getting hate for years it's nothing new.

Same tekk, great reference videos there. I was so hype every time hbox took a match off that ylink. I really just wanted to see puff take out ylink and prove puff can come out on top in that MU.

I wish hbox contributed a little more to the puff boards to help us all ruin the game. ;)

Oskar

Smash Cadet
Man, amazing performance by Hungrybox at Apex. He really stepped up his vs Young Link game. Those finals were super intense to watch for the most part imo, despite what a lot of people will probably say.

One thing I found myself wondering about, though, is why Hbox never tried to catch the bombs Armada threw at him? From what I understand he already does pretty much everything with the Z button, so learning to catch them mid-air should be a relatively easy matter. I'm mostly theorizing here, but it seems to me that in a matchup where the vast majority of the time is spent dodging projectiles, grabbing the one which most often sets up for kills on you would be a huge advantage. It would also open up some pretty interesting new possibilities as far as comboing YL goes (Bomb to Rest, anyone?).

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Man, amazing performance by Hungrybox at Apex. He really stepped up his vs Young Link game. Those finals were super intense to watch for the most part imo, despite what a lot of people will probably say.

One thing I found myself wondering about, though, is why Hbox never tried to catch the bombs Armada threw at him? From what I understand he already does pretty much everything with the Z button, so learning to catch them mid-air should be a relatively easy matter. I'm mostly theorizing here, but it seems to me that in a matchup where the vast majority of the time is spent dodging projectiles, grabbing the one which most often sets up for kills on you would be a huge advantage. It would also open up some pretty interesting new possibilities as far as comboing YL goes (Bomb to Rest, anyone?).
He picked up a bomb like once or twice, during his invic frames after spawning. But trying to grab a bomb is very risky. Considering: a. if he misses it he's taking another bomb, which is more damage and possibly a followup from ylink) and b. while holding a bomb he can't do aeriels or grab, this mean ylink is free to approach from an angle that the bomb can't be thrown. Additionally, ylink just has to stay above him at an angle and throw more crap and hbox couldn't even hit him with a bomb. High risk low reward, essentially.

This is just speculation, hbox might have his own reason.

Massive

Smash Champion
Grand finals in the biggest tournament in the world is not the time to be experimenting with catching projectiles, lol.

The only way I can see to make that match-up easier would be for hbox to become the ultimate power-shielding master.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Hungrybox did really well. I'm glad for him. And I respect him a lot for still loving this game, even though most of this community sucks. Keep on, Puffs. :)

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I actually nominated you for most mature on the forum awards Shrouded. If I ever go to a national with you we definitely gotta hit up those friendlies. :)

I also came back from a regional saturday, so I might get a match or two of me up here for some critiquing. I think I definitely had my best matches off the capture card though, I didn't get very good sets recorded. Sucks, but I'll try to get better matches in next time.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Well, thanks, Krynxe. Although sometimes I give up on SWF, cause it's somewhat difficult, but I try, I guess...? And yeah, we definitely need to play if we're ever at the same national.

Which reminds me: shoutouts to Idea. His Puff is really good, and I liked the few games we had. If you don't remember, Idea, I was the white dress Peach main who you kept seeing everywhere, even though we didn't get that many games. :)

idea

Smash Master
okay...

1. i'm not as surprised as probably a lot of people that kirbykaze beat hbox's puff in that one set, i find his sheik like impossible to hit at all when he's playing well

2. i feel a little bad for bragging about this all weekend, but for the last time: i was SO CLOSE to beating m2k in pools :D match 3, last game, last hit. i assume it was on the stream since it was on that tv, but yeah. that was definitely the best i played all tournament.

3. immediately afterward i lost to chillin and didn't make it out of 2nd round pools. lol

4. hbox, in the end i agree with you and seibrik, but when the videos come out i'm going to pinpoint every time i think you should have done the reverse fair thing ;) he was right about edgeguarding in general, but once you're already holding the edge, and he is recovering low, it's pretty much your best option.

5. good job though, you were playing really well vs. armada. honestly i don't think you should have camped him back, since he was pretty much outcamping you, but you may have done that just because of exhaustion after such a ridiculously long set.

Which reminds me: shoutouts to Idea. His Puff is really good, and I liked the few games we had. If you don't remember, Idea, I was the white dress Peach main who you kept seeing everywhere, even though we didn't get that many games. :)
omg that was you? you should have said something :p or at least used the same tag.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I couldn't remember if you knew or not. I'm such a dolt, huh? :) It was nice meeting you.

Darn it...I really should have said something...fudge...

Tekk

Smash Lord
4. hbox, in the end i agree with you and seibrik, but when the videos come out i'm going to pinpoint every time i think you should have done the reverse fair thing ;) he was right about edgeguarding in general, but once you're already holding the edge, and he is recovering low, it's pretty much your best option.
My thoughts when watching the GFs exactly !

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=316838

I got a social thread stickied for us puffs. :3

Try to keep Mahone's thread clean of useless discussion and filled with as much useful information as possible. :) Discuss strategic elements of puff, mu discussion, relevant questions and such here. Go there to talk about how awesome apex was, etc.

Top Bottom