• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official BBR Tier List v7

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSP

Smash Legend
I thought we confirmed that Ivy is a she

@MEOW - MK's dtilt like Koro said. I love that thing when using it, hate it when fighting it lol.

Tornado's like that too, except it does 15+ damage.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Lol, just changed it. I know Ivy's a she, but... that voice...

Sigh, Nintendo... so you make Ivy already a freak of nature being both a plant AND an extinct animal; and now you make it a she and give it a man's voice.
Yet you wonder why she's so unpopular?

Idk, Ivy will always be a "he" to me. Simply because thats how I initially mistook her, and because my subconsious refuses to view her any other way.

Edit: wow, a lot of people have posted while I've been working on mine...

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
The tone of a voice is decided by the size and shape of a voicebox. Its not uncommon for female animals to have deep voices.

and Ivys popular because she's unpopular. Almost like people pity her for being so bad in this game. Haha. I'm gonna laugh if they make her god tier next game. Instead of metaknights everywhere we'll have Ivys.

Luxord

Smash Journeyman
I was pretty surprised when someone said Ivy's meta was razor leaf and bullet seed. You could probably win a match without using those moves. It's meta is bair, nair and pivot grab.

:phone:
Nair :confused:
But yeah bair and PG are good.
I can even agree with winning w/o razor leaf b/c it's got meh startup and recovery isn't amazing, so you have to really space to not be punished, but no bullet seed? Cmon, that thing is free damage -> no DIs off throws into BS, punishing air dodges, etc etc.

Wrong infinite, Japanese Jiggs da bess
purin purin :3

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
So while we're talking about Ivy, what's the best direction to DI bullet seed?
DI left, DI right, DI upper right, DI upper left....I think.

Pretty much your decision on what's better during a situation like that. Or you can just upB.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I can even agree with winning w/o razor leaf b/c it's got meh startup and recovery isn't amazing, so you have to really space to not be punished, but no bullet seed? Cmon, that thing is free damage -> no DIs off throws into BS, punishing air dodges, etc etc.

Nair strings into grab, bseed and other aerials, is its best shield pressure option, and reverse nair semi spikes and is used for gimps. It's easily Ivy's most versatile move.

To whoever said rleaf is good for camping and that its other options aren't good for approaching, firstly you aren't going to camp a good player with rleaf. Its best attempt at camping is probably just bair walling or tether tricks on the ledge. Ivy has no good approaching options, but things like nair and bair with the occasional sh or fh rleaf are the best options, it's not as if you just spam rleaf to approach.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Ivysaur also has that insanely long fsmash in case she gets a good read. It nets her more than enough time to switch too and is also pretty strong. Kinda unsafe though, she has range.

Luxord

Smash Journeyman
Nair strings into grab,bseed and other aerials, is its best shield pressure option, and reverse nair semi spikes and is used for gimps. It's easily Ivy's most versatile move.

To whoever said rleaf is good for camping and that its other options aren't good for approaching, firstly you aren't going to camp a good player with rleaf. Its best attempt at camping is probably just bair walling or tether tricks on the ledge. Ivy has no good approaching options, but things like nair and bair with the occasional sh or fh rleaf are the best options, it's not as if you just spam rleaf to approach.

you just said assuming no rleaf and bseed needed to win with Ivy :glare:
and cmon, reverse nair for a pseudo spike? who's recovery is bad enough that Ivy can get away with that? And if it's the lowers, PT in general can take em out pretty easily (hell good squirtle play alone could take 2 stocks off [some] of em)

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
My point is was that nair is one of his best moves. Bseed is the least used follow up because of the risk of missing and the low reward if the DI it. Bseed follow ups aren't nair's selling main selling point so my argument still stands.

:phone:[/siz

ViperGold42

Smash Lord

ohhhh no, I strongly disagree with the bair of Ivy, I might not be a PT main but everytime I've used Ivy as the first pokemon, I tried to bair and RAR to give some ground and punish air dodges, but my GOD is it weak, it does 5 damage if both hits, which is VERY weak for a BAIR. Ivy is basicaly a poor version of Olimar:both are great at racking up damage close-in, and at irritating at mid-long range, but Olimar has a way easier time landing KOs with his superior (and almost-always disjointed) attack options, including better smashes, better aerials, and a better grab.

and from what I understand, Ivysaur as a pokemon does not have any distinguse gender differences, only Venusaur has with a seed in its flower. sorry if bad spelling.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Stating what a character can do is trying to state a fact, sorry.
Olimar's gets more damage from afar than from up close. He has low % combos, and stupid things like nair > stuff, but it's mostly Pikmin toss/Grabs.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
He may have combos that only work at low percents, but that 20-30% is all he needs.

Olimar will go back to throwing pikmin and waiting for his opponent to get antsy and start approaching, only for them to be eating grabs as their percentage gradually increases until they eventually get to kill percentage for Blue/Purple throws or just any USmash.

Cassio

Smash Master
Olimar is amazing at wracking up damage and stringing at close range. Of course Im of the belief that most olimars arent competent in this regard so Im not surprised most people disagree, but put olimar in the hands of a player thats capable of reading and option limitation and he can easily eat half your stock or more for a fairly wide range of percents. Although part of it is his high damage output per attack, similar to Marth.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
and cmon, reverse nair for a pseudo spike? who's recovery is bad enough that Ivy can get away with that?
Uh, a lot of characters, actually. It tends to work because pretty much every other aerial has the potential to outrange retaliation, so people often adjust to avoid those moves instead. Any tether character, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Peach, Bowser, Wario, Yoshi, Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Falco, Ice Climbers, Link, Samus, Sheik, Wolf...

Characters like Ike, Jigglypuff, Kirby, Lucas, Lucario, Ness, Pit, and R.O.B. can be chased after/followed up on to prevent a recovery afterward.

Spiked by Ivysaur N-Air? It's more likely than you think.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
In theory, it shouldn't happen too often but Reflex lands it frequently, and if it is being landed at the highet level in reality then it doesn't matter what people think about it on a forum.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
It's not super-reliable, since it usually requires people to actively try to avoid another aerial, and people seem much more content eating a F-Air or U-Air. Still, it's definitely a thing that can happen in multiple situations.

Flayl, give me a little bit. I'll try to gather stuff.

T-block

B2B TST
shameless plug =D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqnkP4EWcok#t=0m20s

n-air spikes aren't that hard. and a lot of characters are put in a really bad position if they get pushed under the ledge by n-air without their double jump. note that ivysaur can tether to steal the ledge very quickly, and depending on the recovery, can really mess with her opponent at that point (if a simple ledgehog won't do it at that point, continued b-airs, another n-air, d-air... often a u-air to punish the landing on stage if nothing else).

IDK about winning a match without them. No razor leaf means she can't camp at all as opposed to at least having something; bair does 5% fresh, and you can't really approach with a pivot grab. Good luck with approaching with Nair.
why do people think projectile = camp game? even if a character has a projectile, if it's completely trivial for the opponent to avoid it at long range, it's not going to function as a camping tool. razor leaf falls in the same boat as din's fire, for example, in this regard.

By probability, Ivy is a he. And the voice too.
this is wrong on so many levels ._.

So while we're talking about Ivy, what's the best direction to DI bullet seed?
you want to DI the initial hit to the side, through ivy. so if you're on the right side of ivy, hold left so that you fly past her. she can catch you sometimes if she b-reverses it though. if you're talking about SDI, just SDI straight to whichever side you're closer to. lighter characters might want to SDI straight up in some situations.

Nair strings into grab
ivy's grab is hella slow. n-air only strings into grab if your opponent is caught holding shield. i'd much rather go for n-air->u-tilt.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771

Cassio

Smash Master
That has to be one of the most embarrassing looking deaths Ive seen in the game. Props to Ivysaur.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I know I have absolutely no PT experience and I'm not very good so I'm probably in no position to say this but I can't imagine a decent ZSS (who knows the PT MU) getting gimped by a reverse nair spike from Ivysaur.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Ask DRN, I guess. It's not something that happens often (same as almost any type of gimp), but it's definitely something that happens.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
I know I have absolutely no PT experience and I'm not very good so I'm probably in no position to say this but I can't imagine a decent ZSS (who knows the PT MU) getting gimped by a reverse nair spike from Ivysaur.
Kith gimped me with it back in the day. Charizard bair too. Good times, good times.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
ivy's grab is hella slow. n-air only strings into grab if your opponent is caught holding shield. i'd much rather go for n-air->u-tilt.
If you land a N-Air spike on the ground, you can follow up with a grab in many cases. Otherwise, I would just N-Air -> N-Air. More damage, safer, and it's about as fast.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Is nair hard to SDI?
If not, I don't see why someone could just SDI out before the pseudo-spike. So the Ivy would pretty much have to hope to hit with only the spike hitbox, or the last 2 or 3 hits. And it doesn't seem like it has the greatest range either, so...couldn't a ZSS just uair it or something? XD

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Is nair hard to SDI?
If not, I don't see why someone could just SDI out before the pseudo-spike. So the Ivy would pretty much have to hope to hit with only the spike hitbox, or the last 2 or 3 hits. And it doesn't seem like it has the greatest range either, so...couldn't a ZSS just uair it or something? XD
I mean, sometimes you just hope you live. I don't always their a move out when recovering. Also, down-b interception.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom