• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Mexico Thread LIKE THE DESERTS MISS THE RAIN

Sliraobe God

Smash Apprentice
Yo Erich, I just wanted to say thanks for that fest. Really, for some reason, that fest reminded me of the good times of the past.
I didn't play any video game except melee, and I barely had any breaks, so I basically played melee for ~10 hours straight :)
That was one of the most fun fests I've been to, partly because almost everybody was there, and because of MELEE ALL DAI

Sliraobe God

Smash Apprentice
i don't have a capture card buddy. I forgot to give the VCR tape to Everett who has a capture card. As you know, capture cards are basically the only useful way to convert raw VCR footage to computer multimedia.
So, basically, those AND the Team Unbeatable matches won't be uploaded until after the brawl tournament.
Which I may or may not go to. Dekar, can I play melee there :laugh: please?

Oh, and you all need to check out this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1WWpKEPdT4
It's a cool variation to a great video you all know and love :)

Dekar173

Justice Man
@Erich-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_immortality#Hydra

Soon enough will come a point where we will be able to regenerate our bodies as they degrade- indefinitely.

Our beliefs are rather equatable. You believe god will come down from the heavens and just instantly make everyone happy, or whatever.

I believe that through mankind's evolution and intelligence, we will finally achieve a sort of utopia (in our life times? Probably not).

End result for both scenarios: very good.

The only difference between these two thoughts is the fact that yours is backed by 0 evidence, and mine is entirely based upon evidence.

Now, my question for you Erich is, why are you such a pessimist when it comes to mankind prevailing on its own? An alternate explanation for all of this (for churcheys, anyway) would be that god has given us this opportunity to attain a utopia, and we took it. What's so bad about that?

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=226496

Vote newbs and newberts.

God's not going to come down and make everyone happy instantly. That's not how it works.

It's not a bad thing mate. I just don't really believe that humans will achieve that kind of technology. Also, now that I think about this subject a little more in depth...perhaps mankind will attain immortality, but...not eternal life. Also, I dislike scientists and their need for evidence. I know of two things that travel faster than the speed of light, but scientists would never listen to a crazy person with no tangible evidence, right? In my opinion, the evidence of a God is everywhere you look. It is also my personal belief that the promise of death is what makes mortal life so meaningful. Every moment you spend is precious, every second is important. Each moment could be the last moment you have to be here. You will not always be here on this Earth, so make the most of this part of existence. Humans have been growing old and dying since they came to the Earth, and I don't think it's likely to change soon, that's all. I do not know if mankind will attain a utopia, but I do know that very few people in this world do things for others for the right reasons, and it is those selfish reasons which will ever prevent man from defeating itself and entering a utopia. An ideal and perfect state cannot exist with that which is not perfect...I.E. mankind.

Also, thanks for keeping the language down guys. That was really helpful. I know that might have been hard for some of you, and I very much appreciate your control. There were a few slip-ups, but that's alright. They were pretty quiet, lol. I might do this again sometime...maybe. Probably, actually, before Genesis.

Dekar173

Justice Man
What is needed to attain an ideal state?

End world hunger
Energy/shelter for all
End strife (whether through ridding the world of religion, or educating the masses with reformed churches like Steven's)
/r9k/ for all

That about sums it up.

A utopia is an ideal and perfect state. Humans are not perfect. Therefore, I do not believe that in their imperfect state they can create a perfect society. Makes sense, no?

Neil, I need to play you more in Melee. You still need practice against Peach. I beat you pretty bad the first round. After that you started to get better, but still. Play my Peach when I'm warmed up, and we'll see how well you do. Still though, you're doing well finding ways around the dsmash, which is very good. Next time you play it, let's turn it up a notch hmmm?

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I love sushi.
You aren't helping.

Mm's anyone?
Yes.

If I recall correctly, certain types of (or all) turtles are immortal in the sense that they don't die from old age, but rather illnesses or outside influences. Theoretically I suppose it's possible for humans to become "immortal" through some process of gene manipulated, but even so, I imagine if you looked at causes of death in the modern world natural causes would be a very low percentile, so it seems almost irrelevant.

I know both you and Erich are against Dekar about the revolution of science and the abilities of the human race. Frankly, I believe that everyone on the boards, including me, is underestimating our abilities. We have achieved some pretty crazy **** in the history of humanity, and it doesn't stop there. I believe that immortality is around the corner. But this is all speculation, and Dekar knows much more about the advancement of human civilization than I do, so I'll leave that expertise in this discussion to him, and not me. (I know...I'm riding Casey's **** really hard right now)
No. Humans are incredibly capable when they choose to be. Some of the things we've accomplished as a species throughout history are simply astounding. I'm not underestimating our abilities as humans, but rather, I think everyone else is overestimating our resources and the tools available to us.

I think of it like a game or a movie. You have a budget and you have to do what you can within that budget. You could have endless options, scenes, graphic upgrades, ideas, etc, but you simply can't do it all. Things have to be cut and decisions made. In the universe there is a finite amount of resources and tools available to us.

In addition, the universe is an ever changing place. Casey said something in regards to the sun and physics and how it is bound to what it is doing, but humans have a choice. In the end, humans don't have a choice. They die. It's as simple as that. Besides, you never know what is going to happen next in the universe. It's far too unpredictable.

Sliraobe God

Smash Apprentice
Neil, I need to play you more in Melee. You still need practice against Peach. I beat you pretty bad the first round. After that you started to get better, but still. Play my Peach when I'm warmed up, and we'll see how well you do. Still though, you're doing well finding ways around the dsmash, which is very good. Next time you play it, let's turn it up a notch hmmm?
You're completely right - I need SO MUCH practice against certain characters. How about this saturday? are you going to the tourney?

No. Humans are incredibly capable when they choose to be. Some of the things we've accomplished as a species throughout history are simply astounding. I'm not underestimating our abilities as humans, but rather, I think everyone else is overestimating our resources and the tools available to us.

I think of it like a game or a movie. You have a budget and you have to do what you can within that budget. You could have endless options, scenes, graphic upgrades, ideas, etc, but you simply can't do it all. Things have to be cut and decisions made. In the universe there is a finite amount of resources and tools available to us.

In addition, the universe is an ever changing place. Casey said something in regards to the sun and physics and how it is bound to what it is doing, but humans have a choice. In the end, humans don't have a choice. They die. It's as simple as that. Besides, you never know what is going to happen next in the universe. It's far too unpredictable.
That's a good point - bringing in the topic of available resources and tools towards the advancement of human civilization. Steering away from immortality for a moment, we need to solve some of the more embarrassing problems in our world before we can even begin to THINK about REAL advances. When I say REAL advances, I mean really interesting stuff, like the permanent colonization of other planets or universal atomic manipulation. We've got the rapid death of our Earth in many different forms, we've got petty disputes about religion, war, land, money, and technology. If we can, in fact, slow these corruptions down to a minimum, we can approach a better world. That better world (getting a tad bit closer to a utopia) will finally allow us as humans to pursue those REAL advances.

Now, if we ever do reach those REAL advances (which could possibly begin within a century, I really do think that's around the corner), we could begin to harvest the resources that are far beyond our original reaches. Right now, the only resources that are truly available to us are on the Earth. With permanent colonization of future planets, if possible, we can stretch our resources to our solar system even to our galaxy, but probably not to the far reaches of the universe. Our galaxy alone is HUGE, and my use of the larger size and font doesn't even come close to emphasizing how ENORMOUS it is. Our galaxy has enough resources to sustain pretty much anything. The rate at which our knowledge and understanding (science) grows is MUCH faster than the rate at which our resources are depleting on Earth. We'll learn to travel at blindingly fast speeds before our oil and natural gas on Earth are gone. When we have that transportation available, we'll be able to fly over to Mars, grab some resources, and just civilize more and more and more. I know you said that the universe is ever-changing, but the universe doesn't usually have significant events that somehow destroy available resources. Those resources should be there for a long long long time.

I'm probably just a dreamer, but resources shouldn't be something to inhibit our abilities. They are directly related, that's for sure, but nothing can stop what we can do. It's just a matter of if we can do it...

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
On the note of Mars and resources, a possible man operated mission to Mars is being planned and thought out, but rather than the ship carrying enough fuel to launch itself from Earth and return from Mars, the ship would only care enough fuel to reach escape velocity from Earth and propel itself toward Mars. Once on Mars it is theorized the astronauts should be able to collect everything they need to produce their own fuel. I think it sounds a bit far fetched still, but this still wouldn't be for quite some time.

Also, I really dislike the whole, "Our planet is dying, but rather than saving it lets just destroy it faster so our technologies can advance faster and we can just move some place new." What? No.

If I recall correctly, certain types of (or all) turtles are immortal in the sense that they don't die from old age, but rather illnesses or outside influences. Theoretically I suppose it's possible for humans to become "immortal" through some process of gene manipulated, but even so, I imagine if you looked at causes of death in the modern world natural causes would be a very low percentile, so it seems almost irrelevant.

Davis...you rock. Agreed, haha. Of course, I might share some differing beliefs alongside this that are ingrained with my religion, but for the most part...I agree with all of that.

Is it this Saturday(tomorrow) Neil? I have a date at 8:00, so I can't stay too late. I might go, I might not. I don't know...rrgh. First I need to know if it's tomorrow or not. If I go, I probably won't enter, I'll just play Melee with you. Besides, the person I'm going with lives over there, so I would be close to her house anyways. Convenient. Hmmm...

Sliraobe God

Smash Apprentice
that huge and horribly drawn Street Fighter IV picture detracted me from the humanity discussion.
Obviously it served its purpose.

@EVERYBODY: Dekar and I were talking about the tournament on Saturday March 28. and we have ultimately decided to host a melee tournament as well. There will be 2 rooms at the venue - both a brawl room and a melee room!!! A melee tournament will probably be hosted - DEPENDING ON HOW MANY PEOPLE SHOW UP.
This will be a round robin tournament.
There is a $5 venue fee, add that on to the $5 entry fee to the melee tournament. Setups will be needed. The prize split will likely be 60:30:10, and last of all, the rules are MLG.
Erich - we can do friendlies, but the venue fee is an issue. We can still have the "smashfest" at my house that I originally planned, but since I thought not enough people showed interest, I was going to cancel it. I may just uncancel it though =X

don't forget about the melee tournament on April 4th though!!!

Oh OK. I might go to your house for a little while then. We'll see. I'll call you if I do decide to do that. I've got homework to do during the day though, so we'll see.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
On the note of Mars and resources, a possible man operated mission to Mars is being planned and thought out, but rather than the ship carrying enough fuel to launch itself from Earth and return from Mars, the ship would only care enough fuel to reach escape velocity from Earth and propel itself toward Mars. Once on Mars it is theorized the astronauts should be able to collect everything they need to produce their own fuel. I think it sounds a bit far fetched still, but this still wouldn't be for quite some time.

Also, I really dislike the whole, "Our planet is dying, but rather than saving it lets just destroy it faster so our technologies can advance faster and we can just move some place new." What? No.
It's the only real alternative we currently have though. Unless we are willing to explore new avenues of energy, we will collapse, because as you said, there just isn't enough energy for 6,000,000,000ish people to sustain themselves for any period of time. If we don't find new energy, the only way to solve things like world hunger, shelter, ect is population culling, which is beyond intolerable. ALTERNATIVE ENERGY anyone?

Out with the old, in with the new is a typical human mentality. Why repair when you can just buy a new one? Recycling? What garbage. Neary everytime humanity finds something new, we scrap the new idea as obsolete, for no given reason. Why can't it apply to our planet as well?

Tekkie: WTF? politic pat?

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Singin Pretty Fly for a White Guy in the shower :)
Alright I work tonight so no smashing for me :( but I'll request off next saturday so I may be able to go to the melee tourney lol

EDIT: maybe i missed it, but what time/day are we leaving for whobo dekar and davis? Oh and Lewis now mentioned wanting to go if theres room for one more. very very last second on his part but thought I'd throw that out there

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
It's the only real alternative we currently have though. Unless we are willing to explore new avenues of energy, we will collapse, because as you said, there just isn't enough energy for 6,000,000,000ish people to sustain themselves for any period of time. If we don't find new energy, the only way to solve things like world hunger, shelter, ect is population culling, which is beyond intolerable. ALTERNATIVE ENERGY anyone?

Out with the old, in with the new is a typical human mentality. Why repair when you can just buy a new one? Recycling? What garbage. Neary everytime humanity finds something new, we scrap the new idea as obsolete, for no given reason. Why can't it apply to our planet as well?

Tekkie: WTF? politic pat?
I'm assuming that last sentence is supposed to be read, "we scrape the old idea as obsolete..." We could apply it to our planet theoretically, but I disagree because I find it to be incredibly ignorant. "Well, this planet is toast. Let's move on." What kind of mentality is that?

Also, why do people want to solve world hunger? ****. People starving to death is one of the few natural ways of population control we have. I would be outraged if someone found a solution to world hunger. We continue to eliminate nature's ways of population control: hunger, disease, weather, etc. There is a deer hunting season for several reasons, but one of which is to help the deer control their population. If we don't kill them then they will out populate themselves and starve, and we as humans see death by bullet a nicer alternative to death by no grass to eat or whatever. The same needs to happen with humans. There needs to be another world war if you ask me. People need to die. I'm being perfectly honest right now.

GoldenGlove

Smash Ace
Davis, I'm not sure what line of logic you're following. You want to focus on preserving this planet, yet also want WWIII? WWIII would be more than an admission of "Well, this planet is toast". In this nuclear age, it would be an exclamation of "All right, let's burn this planet to a ****ing crisp!"

I'm not anti-hunting, but I'd like to point out that far and away the primary reason for a deer season is to prevent deer from being hunted into oblivion year-round. There may be a small amount of what you described going on, but I'd like to think that an incredibly more effective way of keeping deer from starving to death would be doing things like, say, not bulldozing their habitats.

Also, I don't know how world hunger is natural. The conditions surrounding world hunger are entirely mankind-imposed. Is it natural that America alone has enough food to feed a good chunk of the world but continues to choke down McDonald's by the ton? Is it natural that a woman in a 3rd-world country can't buy a loaf of bread because she doesn't have money because she doesn't have a job because she's been denied an education? If world hunger was purely a matter of "THERE IS NOT ENOUGH FOOD IN THE WORLD" and not a socioeconomic cluster****, you might have a case.

As it stands, there are plenty of people extolling the virtues of population control, but not many people willing to starve or get shot.

It seems like you're just spouting pseudo-Machiavellian crap because empathy is cliche.

Kirbster13

Smash Cadet
The results for the March 28th tournament:

Brawl Singles-
1: Dekar ($57.00)
2: Sinz ($28.00)
3: HIV+ ($10.00)
4: Overgames
5: O-Dub
5: Goyf
7: Z-Man
7: Jt!
9: Xion
9: Beave
9: Ax
9: G-Boy
13: Itachi
13: Isaccard
13: Obabo
13: Dark Meow
17: Tyrant
17: Mr. B
17: Tekkie
25: Col
25: Stampliken

Brawl Doubles-
1: Z-Games (Z-man + Overgames) ($44.00)
2: Sperm Tacos (Molls + Dekar) ($19.00)
3: Crabtossers (Jt! + Ax)
4: Team Still **** Z-Man (Goyf + Isac)
5: =D (Xion + Beave)
5: Peelz4reelz (Jonathen + A.)
7: Oran Wallace Fan Club Edition (Tekkie + Forrest)

Melee-
1: Alpha ($20.00)
2: HIV+ ($15.00)
3: Erich ($5.00)
4: Rono
5: Oops
6: BW

Neil, send me that pic yo for your gaytastic shirt.

Dekar173

Justice Man
Hahahaha.

So, me 2v1ing Ax and JT was screwed, me banana locking goyf to death was screwed, me 2v1ing Nolan and Goyf was screwed, and me banana lock > uairing everett off into oblivion was screwed? Not to mention Molly OMFGRAPING JT was screwed?

You... *******.

Anyway, GGs all, holy crap it was a blast.

Ax00x0

Smash Apprentice
Definitely fun, but I will note that the glare is really quite bad...talk to these punk ***** to get curtains installed! Or we need a massive amount of REAL extension cords so the TVs can face the other way.

Quite fun...Z-Man vs Ax game>all else, bar none. second comes the LOL Goyf vs JT! match on Jungle Japes, so much fail in 7 minutes. And I swear I'm gona drop a REAL brick on JT's head to get the picture about not getting killed by that.

And you never 2 vs 1 us, you **** :D. It was me vs you, JT vs you, and the 3rd match just failed. Nice turn out.

and LOL DarkMeow is LOL. That's how **** us New Mexicans can be. :D

Davis, I'm not sure what line of logic you're following. You want to focus on preserving this planet, yet also want WWIII? WWIII would be more than an admission of "Well, this planet is toast". In this nuclear age, it would be an exclamation of "All right, let's burn this planet to a ****ing crisp!"
Maybe he's watched/read too much Watchmen? *Note-I dunno what you guys are talking about*

Also, if you jokers have Pokemon D/P/Plat, bring it next time, so I can **** you :D

Also, the textures are sexy, Paul. Viewtiful Joe C. Falcon is ULTRA Win

Dark_Meow1

Smash Ace
My favorite word of the nite. ****. lol. Good games all, I did alot better then the last time I played with Casey, give me a bit and I'll catch up and pwn all you guys. (I hope)

But seriously, you guys are alot of fun, I like the scene there. I really wanted to play Erich, sorry about being like, 7 hours late. But all priceless, I'll be down (on time) for the next one coming up, and I guess I'll be hauling some of you cats to oos place.

P.S. I love you Dekar.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
I'm assuming that last sentence is supposed to be read, "we scrape the old idea as obsolete..." We could apply it to our planet theoretically, but I disagree because I find it to be incredibly ignorant. "Well, this planet is toast. Let's move on." What kind of mentality is that?

Also, why do people want to solve world hunger? ****. People starving to death is one of the few natural ways of population control we have. I would be outraged if someone found a solution to world hunger. We continue to eliminate nature's ways of population control: hunger, disease, weather, etc. There is a deer hunting season for several reasons, but one of which is to help the deer control their population. If we don't kill them then they will out populate themselves and starve, and we as humans see death by bullet a nicer alternative to death by no grass to eat or whatever. The same needs to happen with humans. There needs to be another world war if you ask me. People need to die. I'm being perfectly honest right now.
Yeah, typo. I was trying to say that most people don't really care about anything old. I'm not saying I agree. And for the world hunger....

I'm not anti-hunting, but I'd like to point out that far and away the primary reason for a deer season is to prevent deer from being hunted into oblivion year-round. There may be a small amount of what you described going on, but I'd like to think that an incredibly more effective way of keeping deer from starving to death would be doing things like, say, not bulldozing their habitats.

Also, I don't know how world hunger is natural. The conditions surrounding world hunger are entirely mankind-imposed. Is it natural that America alone has enough food to feed a good chunk of the world but continues to choke down McDonald's by the ton? Is it natural that a woman in a 3rd-world country can't buy a loaf of bread because she doesn't have money because she doesn't have a job because she's been denied an education? If world hunger was purely a matter of "THERE IS NOT ENOUGH FOOD IN THE WORLD" and not a socioeconomic cluster****, you might have a case.

As it stands, there are plenty of people extolling the virtues of population control, but not many people willing to starve or get shot.

It seems like you're just spouting pseudo-Machiavellian crap because empathy is cliche.
explained for me too well for me to even do anything.

Quite fun...Z-Man vs Ax game>all else, bar none. second comes the LOL Goyf vs JT! match on Jungle Japes, so much fail in 7 minutes. And I swear I'm gona drop a REAL brick on JT's head to get the picture about not getting killed by that.

Also, if you jokers have Pokemon D/P/Plat, bring it next time, so I can **** you :D
I can't believe I actually got 2 stocks. LOL!

And I would have brought Diamond if I thought anyone would have actually had a competitive team on them. :( next time

Yea, I was looking forward to it Dark...but, I had to go. Girl, or video games...hmmm...kinda obvious. I'll play you next time though! I'm definitely looking forward to it. Besides, I was kinda iffy yesterday, lol. Not sure I would have been serious. Also, Paul...that was the most ridiculous match ever. Peach vs. Jiggs on Mute City?!? Let's not do that again, like EVER. It was funny though, not gonna lie. Good times, good times. Let's do Bowser vs. DK at the next 6 man Melee tourney! ;)

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Alright. Good points, Steven. I'm tempted to not rebuttal because of the contents of my rebuttal, but I really have nothing better to do.

I can see how those two thoughts would be contradictory. I was mainly proposing the idea of "World War III" because war itself is just something that tends to eliminate people in large quantities. I'm not saying that that is exactly what should happen, I just think something should happen.

Also, on a side note, I imagine if nuclear war did erupt it would annihilate the human race and the majority of other species living on Earth. However, the Earth itself would in time heal regardless.

While bulldozing their habitats is a direct result of human expansion. The desire for human expansion, too, comes from our overcrowded cities and populated areas as well. Also, nearly every hunter I've asked about this has given me that answer. Whether it is the truth (though to some extent it is) or something that they say to help themselves sleep better at night I'm not entirely sure of.

No, it isn't natural. That's part of my issue with it. Also, it's not that hunger itself is unnatural, but it is the causes, as you stated, that make said hunger unnatural. However, solving it would only create more and more issues as it stacks upon itself. Why are people so hungry? Well, there is too many of us. What happens when you solve world hunger? Historically, what happens with a surplus of food? Babies. What happens after that? Even more people to feed. It's a ridiculous cycle. In America it's not about survival (at least most of the time). In Africa, or as you put it, a 3rd-world country, it is. That's natural. Anyways, with the whole "natural" and "unnatural" talk I've deviated far from my original point, which I can't even recall at this point, so hopefully I've constructed some coherent underlining meaning.

Of course no one, or at least no significant amount of people, are willing to get shot or starve. That's where we meet an impasse. We have a need to solve the problem somehow, but the obvious solution goes against our built in mechanics, the biology that every creature and plant is born with: the need to survive. When it comes down to it it is defecate, procreate, sleep, and eat. No one, or at least no number of significant people, will counter that instinct to prove, or at least try to prove, some cause.

I don't know who Machiavellian is, but through context I see what you're saying, and i would say you are half right. In all honestly, I really don't give a crap. Everyone everything says in the end is bull**** because in reality everyone action you take in this world is for some selfish gain. Do you open the door to be nice, or do you open the door to gain the gratitude of a thank you, or your own self-compliments, "Aren't I such a nice guy?"

P.S. We are leaving Friday the 10th for WHOBO, right?

Sliraobe God

Smash Apprentice
People need to die. I'm being perfectly honest right now.
YESS i've met a realistic man. i have newfound love for you now.
I don't know who Machiavellian is, but through context I see what you're saying, and i would say you are half right. In all honestly, I really don't give a crap. Everyone everything says in the end is bull**** because in reality everyone action you take in this world is for some selfish gain. Do you open the door to be nice, or do you open the door to gain the gratitude of a thank you, or your own self-compliments, "Aren't I such a nice guy?"

P.S. We are leaving Friday the 10th for WHOBO, right?
Davis you sound too much like me with the selfishness and the biological viewpoints. Inherently, we do need a way for population control to continue. The UN estimates ~9 billion people by 2050, and the carrying capacity for the Earth - adding upon every single factor - isn't too far off from 2050, give or take. Some people say the carrying capacity was already exceeded long ago, it's just taking a while for the effects to occur.
As Steven described, because of this socioeconomic cluster****, we are reporting unnatural birth/death ratios in Africa vs America, for example.
One part of the issue is that people in America who DON'T deserve to live are living and people in Africa who DESERVE to live are dying. I'm communist - I want every country to be equally rationed in food. Considering the amount of food we have available, we would be able to feed all almost-7 billion people.
So, what do we do to keep our population in check?
We can't continue world hunger, since as Davis said, it's immoral for people to starve but completely fine if people are shot.
We can't erupt into a world war or else the threat of nuclear proliferation and destruction is too great.
We can't allow random killing around the world - nobody wants to die.
We can allow birthrate regulation, like in China, but there is too much religious and ideological opposition for it to occur in large scales. I mean, we COULD pull it off, but the countries that tend to need it have the most opposition...
Our only heartfelt solution is the colonization of other planets. It's all we can do. The Earth isn't our final frontier, it isn't our limit. The idea of extraterrestrial settlement hasn't met much opposition either.

As for Machiavelli, just so you know, Nicolo Machiavelli is most famous for his work The Prince which described political and socioeconomic ideals to a French tyrant of his time. I don't recall what the ideals actually were though.

Can I come to Whobo :laugh:

Kirbster13

Smash Cadet
Well seeing that most people in this day and age throw the term Machiavellian around without understanding its meaning, it would be helpful if you all actually read The Prince, especially since it is the most famous work on political philosophy. Machiavelli wrote the Prince as a guide on how to get and maintain power through realistic, not idealistic measures. He wrote about what was necessary to be a successful leader.

Some of his beliefs were to avoid being hated by your people but it is better to be feared than love, the ends justify the means if it is in the interest of your people, good laws follow a good military, the prince doesn't have to be moral and good he just has to appear so, and people are generally self-interested and deceitful that's why ruling with an iron fist is necessary.

And yes Neil, limiting couples to only 2 children would promote zero population growth and environmentalists like Jonathon Porritt are starting to speak up about it. What we should do, is stop giving tax breaks for large families and start taxing after the 2nd child. You should have to pay if you decide to have more kids who use more resources.

Dekar173

Justice Man
WHOBO official "omg you're here" registration starts in the morning on the 10th, so we need to leave at night on the 9th.

I've got 2 MMs so far, 1 against Sudai for $50, and 1 against PhantomX for $20. Hopefully I can get some more MMs set up in the next 2 weeks :)

Kyle, David, Davis, myself, and I believe Dark Meow. That's 5. Brandon has said that he's coming, but I want absolute confirmation. We've calculated the trip to be 1800 miles round trip, correct? We may even need to leave early on the 9th in order to get out there in time for the competition.

Myself and Davis absolutely need to practice in some 2v2s against everybody here on the forums. Everett and Walker, I'm looking at you guys for some MK training.

Neil, I need to do some practice against your Rob. Paul, I'd really like to practice against your Wario.

Also, as I've stated before, I really, really, really, really need to be back mid day Sunday 12th. If it means I need to pitch more of the gas money, so be it. But I really need to be back in Abq and skip the ISP tourney.

Dark_Meow1

Smash Ace
Dekar, confirmed.

My plan goes as the following:

I have court on the 8th, yay, speeding ticket and an fta for dog at large. I fail.

AFterwards I'm going to albaquerque to pick you cats up, and we leave as soon as everyone's ready. We go to my friend's house in Dallas and get some rounds in with the locals around there I used to play with, like Fogo and Melee1.

The 9th we have all day for practice and registration. This gives us more then enough time to get everything handled, and gives me a chance to catch up with an old roomy of mine. yay.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
YESS i've met a realistic man. i have newfound love for you now.Davis you sound too much like me with the selfishness and the biological viewpoints. Inherently, we do need a way for population control to continue. The UN estimates ~9 billion people by 2050, and the carrying capacity for the Earth - adding upon every single factor - isn't too far off from 2050, give or take. Some people say the carrying capacity was already exceeded long ago, it's just taking a while for the effects to occur.
As Steven described, because of this socioeconomic cluster****, we are reporting unnatural birth/death ratios in Africa vs America, for example.
One part of the issue is that people in America who DON'T deserve to live are living and people in Africa who DESERVE to live are dying. I'm communist - I want every country to be equally rationed in food. Considering the amount of food we have available, we would be able to feed all almost-7 billion people.
So, what do we do to keep our population in check?
We can't continue world hunger, since as Davis said, it's immoral for people to starve but completely fine if people are shot.
We can't erupt into a world war or else the threat of nuclear proliferation and destruction is too great.
We can't allow random killing around the world - nobody wants to die.
We can allow birthrate regulation, like in China, but there is too much religious and ideological opposition for it to occur in large scales. I mean, we COULD pull it off, but the countries that tend to need it have the most opposition...
Our only heartfelt solution is the colonization of other planets. It's all we can do. The Earth isn't our final frontier, it isn't our limit. The idea of extraterrestrial settlement hasn't met much opposition either.

As for Machiavelli, just so you know, Nicolo Machiavelli is most famous for his work The Prince which described political and socioeconomic ideals to a French tyrant of his time. I don't recall what the ideals actually were though.

Can I come to Whobo :laugh:
Interesting. Sounds like a good read.
Realistic, maybe, but in the end I really don't give a **** either way because I won't be able to make a difference, and if I want to it would mean incredible self sacrifice which, as a selfish human being, I'm not willing to make or commit to. I really forward to what the future will bring...

Well seeing that most people in this day and age throw the term Machiavellian around without understanding its meaning, it would be helpful if you all actually read The Prince, especially since it is the most famous work on political philosophy. Machiavelli wrote the Prince as a guide on how to get and maintain power through realistic, not idealistic measures. He wrote about what was necessary to be a successful leader.

Some of his beliefs were to avoid being hated by your people but it is better to be feared than love, the ends justify the means if it is in the interest of your people, good laws follow a good military, the prince doesn't have to be moral and good he just has to appear so, and people are generally self-interested and deceitful that's why ruling with an iron fist is necessary.

And yes Neil, limiting couples to only 2 children would promote zero population growth and environmentalists like Jonathon Porritt are starting to speak up about it. What we should do, is stop giving tax breaks for large families and start taxing after the 2nd child. You should have to pay if you decide to have more kids who use more resources.
I think that is a great idea. I never thought of that (though I never really put any real thought into the problem, anyways, as I'm a 17 year old **** up so what does it matter), but that seems like a real good start in the right direction, and realistically achievable and not so idealistic.

WHOBO official "omg you're here" registration starts in the morning on the 10th, so we need to leave at night on the 9th.

I've got 2 MMs so far, 1 against Sudai for $50, and 1 against PhantomX for $20. Hopefully I can get some more MMs set up in the next 2 weeks :)

Kyle, David, Davis, myself, and I believe Dark Meow. That's 5. Brandon has said that he's coming, but I want absolute confirmation. We've calculated the trip to be 1800 miles round trip, correct? We may even need to leave early on the 9th in order to get out there in time for the competition.

Myself and Davis absolutely need to practice in some 2v2s against everybody here on the forums. Everett and Walker, I'm looking at you guys for some MK training.

Neil, I need to do some practice against your Rob. Paul, I'd really like to practice against your Wario.

Also, as I've stated before, I really, really, really, really need to be back mid day Sunday 12th. If it means I need to pitch more of the gas money, so be it. But I really need to be back in Abq and skip the ISP tourney.
I do need some serious practice to get back in shape. Also, I can leave no sooner than 3:00 PM the 9th. I'm not going to miss two days of school for this tournament, and I actually might not have the 11th off (probably, though) so I'm getting it covered just in case. Those are my prerequisites to going.

Dekar, confirmed.

My plan goes as the following:

I have court on the 8th, yay, speeding ticket and an fta for dog at large. I fail.

AFterwards I'm going to albaquerque to pick you cats up, and we leave as soon as everyone's ready. We go to my friend's house in Dallas and get some rounds in with the locals around there I used to play with, like Fogo and Melee1.

The 9th we have all day for practice and registration. This gives us more then enough time to get everything handled, and gives me a chance to catch up with an old roomy of mine. yay.
I already have housing. What's this nonsense?

nocturne55

Smash Cadet
The results for the March 28th tournament:
Brawl Singles-
5: O-Dub
13: Obabo
17: Tekkie
lol

Brawl Doubles-
7: Oran Wallace Fan Club Edition (Tekkie + Forrest)
just lol

Good times yesterday. Had to split pretty quickly (ride wanted to head out, unfortunately). Wish I could have gotten more 1v1 friendlies in. Fudged that stock against Nolan in a friendly (me and my terrible off-stage game). Did pretty awful against Ax, especially that second time. (That was probably my most inglorious suicide of all time.) Time to learn the vs. Pikachu/vs. Pit matchups.

Lot of impressive players there. Dekar, that was total ****. Nice to see a variety of mains, too. Overgames' Luigi, Xion's Fox, Isac's Pikachu, Zman's Lucas, all pretty awesome. Gives me hope for Wolf.

Awesome crowd with a lot of amiable people. Felt a lot like the DDR tournaments we used to have.

Top Bottom