• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TMNT: Smash Up. A fighter by Brawl developers

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
Livestream was up for a few minutes in prep, it should be back up soon. Almost time.

(BTW, the game looks REALLY fluid... the stream's good quality)

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
It's over, only about 20 minutes worth of new footage. Soon as it's up for download I'll dig through it for some more gifs. Maybe enough so we can start to get an idea of each character's movesets.

(... which we really need more breathing room to discuss, in a subboard)

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ Now that it's over, I want this Turtles in Time more now, but I don't know if it's on PSN, I'll go see in a moment, and Smash Up looks like it may be less epic than Brawl now, but still would be an epic title. ♥

Tony_

Smash Ace
Smash-Up looks really good still.

Brawl was very shallow compared to Melee. We spent HOW long waiting for Brawl, only to be disappointed by a shallow adventure mode.

ptown

Smash Ace
i only got to see the intro footage (after the title screen) and it looked better than brawl.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
People were having some down talk when it came to character move pools, but so far I'm loving the look of this game, I'm not going to say which looks better because I love both this and Brawl.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Livestream was up for a few minutes in prep, it should be back up soon. Almost time.

(BTW, the game looks REALLY fluid... the stream's good quality)
And it's up! :)
Gamecube controller's confirmed.
It's over, only about 20 minutes worth of new footage. Soon as it's up for download I'll dig through it for some more gifs. Maybe enough so we can start to get an idea of each character's movesets.

(... which we really need more breathing room to discuss, in a subboard)
Quadruple post, really? lololol

Turtles count it off!

1...!
2...!
3...!
4...!

TURTLES!!!

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
People were having some down talk when it came to character move pools, but so far I'm loving the look of this game, I'm not going to say which looks better because I love both this and Brawl.
I had to take a double take when they said the game had less depth than Brawl because there aren't whacky special moves. Ironically enough, those moves are what people outside the Brawl community try to point to as proof of its 'shallow-ness'.

Maybe I'd see their point if they were referring to not having up-B moves in the same capacity, or characters not having projectiles (from the look of it). But the reasons they gave didn't make any sense.

Regardless, it's too early to tell where it's going depth-wise. Even after 20 minutes of playtime.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I had to take a double take when they said the game had less depth than Brawl because there aren't whacky special moves. Ironically enough, those moves are what people outside the Brawl community try to point to as proof of its 'shallow-ness'.

Maybe I'd see their point if they were referring to not having up-B moves in the same capacity, or characters not having projectiles (from the look of it). But the reasons they gave didn't make any sense.

Regardless, it's too early to tell where it's going depth-wise. Even after 20 minutes of playtime.
Well, that's what most people would think since it's not the same game and the rules are quite diffrent. I'm going to have to double check as well, I didn't really get a good hear on what they mean, or if it made since at all.

Tony_

Smash Ace
People have played Brawl longer and its no shock to me that they would say its better.

Wait until people play this for at least an hour. They will **** themselves lol.

TurtleFreak

Smash Apprentice
The 1up people didn't realize that most of the character-specific moves are in the combos. Since it resembles SSB, they were expecting the special moves to just be variations of B and a direction, but to learn a character in Smash-up you're going to have to learn his combos. Beyond that, yes, the moves are going to seem pretty similar because most characters have the same basic moves.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
It's a game with more than one ninja. Just imagine most characters fighting like Shiek but ten times more awesomer.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
Guess what I just found. :p

Speaking of gifs, I'll be attempting to post character movesets from the Game Night footage. Shredder will be first up. It'd be a HECK OF A LOT NICER to do this on a subboard, but for now it'll have to stay buried in this thread.

I'll consider linking to the specific posts in the original post.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I heard this game was going to be for PS2, but that has to be false. Puyo Puyo series use to come on PS2 but when Puyo Puyo 7 is coming out around this month for the DS and Winter for the Wii and PSP, think PS2 is no more. I guess that might be a typo that IGN made when they said this game was also for PS2.

TurtleFreak

Smash Apprentice
I've been hearing the PS2 rumor a lot from several different places. Either it's a rumor that has begun to get out of hand, or it's actually true. :dizzy:

Kubuu

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone, this is Kubuu from Deadly Alliance. Just a brief note, my friend Wes and I had the chance to play the demo for this game at E3 and I just want to say that we both agreed that we had a phenomenal time playing it. I'm not going to throw out random tidbits about the game because I would not know where to start.

If anyone has any specific questions, I'll answer them to the best of my recollection. We were speaking to some of the developers while we were there (I have business contacts if anyone wants) and I they mentioned something about throwing a huge event for the game at the Penny Arcade Expo, so that's something to look forward to. Like I said, feel free to get a hold of me if you have any questions regarding gameplay, let me know.

TurtleFreak

Smash Apprentice
Oh, that's so nice of you, Kubuu!

The main question on my mind is regarding the combos and character-specific moves. What can you tell us about those? 1up seems to think that there are fewer character-specific moves in Smash Up than in the SSB series, but they didn't seem to be aware that Smash Up supposedly focuses more on combos than the SSB series. How complex did the fighting system seem to you, and were you able to pull off any cool combos?

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Here's my question:

TurtleFreak, where did you get the kickass picture in your avatar from?

Kubuu

Smash Journeyman
From what I remember and from what was told to us by the developers, there are certain character specific moves which definitely link together. Combos are done very much like Marth's Sword Dance, where the direction you press in the middle of the combo gives you a different move.

You have your light attacks and your heavy attacks with your tilts and smashes, one combo could be Light Attack, Up + Light Attack, Heavy Attack, and another could be forward tilt light attack, down tilt light attack, forward smash heavy, and so on. In smash, we typically make up our own combos as we go along, and after a certain %, they might not work anymore. In Smash Up, combos feel like they were made to string together. Depending on your timing and what directions/buttons you press, you can string together some really nice combos. That was probably one of the biggest differences we noticed. The game was really designed with combos in mind.

Tony_

Smash Ace
Oh **** combo strings. Here's hoping Fugitoid and Utominator (or Krang if he is in) don't have that many devastating combo strings.

Guess what I just found. :p

Speaking of gifs, I'll be attempting to post character movesets from the Game Night footage. Shredder will be first up. It'd be a HECK OF A LOT NICER to do this on a subboard, but for now it'll have to stay buried in this thread.

I'll consider linking to the specific posts in the original post.
I agree. We need a sub board. That or out own forum...

Also....
Shredder for bottom tier? Jk. We won't know until we play.

I heard this game was going to be for PS2, but that has to be false. Puyo Puyo series use to come on PS2 but when Puyo Puyo 7 is coming out around this month for the DS and Winter for the Wii and PSP, think PS2 is no more. I guess that might be a typo that IGN made when they said this game was also for PS2.
Its not going to be on PS2. Its a typo.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
Also....
Shredder for bottom tier? Jk. We won't know until we play.
I didn't make that gif because of what Shredder was doing. :laugh:

To put it more blatantly, that gif shows that Smash Up's going back to a Melee-style air dodge. I can't tell from the video if it's directional or not, but it can propel you downwards from the looks of it.

Which could mean a lot, considering how floaty (like Brawl) the jumping looks.

Tony_

Smash Ace

To put it more blatantly, that gif shows that Smash Up's going back to a Melee-style air dodge. I can't tell from the video if it's directional or not, but it can propel you downwards from the looks of it.

If this is true, Wavedashing might be in.

Which would be amazing.

ptown

Smash Ace
kubuu, there are ground combos, but what about the air game?

do you remember anything about aerial attacks?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer

Really? Looks more like a short hop with a Brawl type airdodge to me.

TurtleFreak

Smash Apprentice
Here's my question:

TurtleFreak, where did you get the kickass picture in your avatar from?
Haha, it's from the TMNT TCG that Upper Deck put out about 5 years ago. The game itself was a little mediocre as far as TCGs go, but it had some great original art in it.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/13549
http://www.geocities.com/roseangelo/upperdeck/
http://www.geocities.com/roseangelo/upperdeck/foil/

(Note, the geocities site is not mine, so I won't be selling any cards. I only link to it so you can get an idea of what some of the cards look like.)

If you or anyone else want scans from the cards I have just send me a PM with a list of characters or cards you want me to scan. I don't have all the cards, but I'll see what I can dig up. You could take images from Rose's site, but I think she took photos instead of scans, so the image quality isn't as good as what I can get you.

Also, thank you for answering my question, Kubuu! That helps restore some faith in the game for me! I was getting a little down from the 1up video. Haha, maybe you could watch the 1up video for us and contrast your take on the game with theirs for us. :)

Kubuu

Smash Journeyman
Regarding the airdodging, Airdodging is in, but was completely non directional when we played it. So if you were holding left and you did an airdodge, you would airdodge, but not to the left. It's like Melee airdodge, but with no direction, and Brawl recovery after the airdodge (allowing movement after the airdodge).

About the glow around the characters, that can be turned off. We asked about that too, because I found it rather annoying as well.

Regarding air fighting, we didn't see too much of that to be honest. Most of the time we fought, we were on the ground. You can definitely attack people in the air, but there wasn't a real emphasis on heavy aerial fighting. However, I know that there are certain aerial moves that are supposed to link with ground moves. Mikey (my favorite turtle) actually does have his rising thunder from TMNT Tournament Fighters, and I recall that I was able to link it to one of my ground moves that propelled the opponent into the air.

I will watch the 1up video, and see what I notice and what they say.

Kubuu

Smash Journeyman
So I watched the video and I guess the biggest thing is that they keep comparing the move sets between SSB and Smash Up. To be honest, the games have two different aims when it comes to move sets. In SSB you have 4 tilts and 4 smashes, plus your "special moves". Smash Up gives you tilts and smashes with both your light and heavy attacks, with the added diagonal direction attacks. I think they felt limited because they were just mashing buttons, IMO. Wes and I took the time out to just play 1 vs 1 and just explored how moves connect and such, and we figured that with time and practice, you can do some really fresh stuff.

There aren't any "special moves" in the regards to dimensional capes, pulling out bombs, shooting fireballs ( that we've seen so far, aside from item pickups), but as it has been said before (especially by the developers we spoke to) the game is not trying to be SSB, it's trying to be something quite different. Personally, I walked away absolutely loving the game.

A few things of note:

1. They were incorrect in saying that you queued up stages, it's a vote, which comes down to a random select if the four players are split 2 and 2.

2. The developers toldus that you could in fact turn the glow off, it just wasnt in the demo build.

3. Knockback is always the same, regardless of character life/damage.

4. You can in fact break grabs. If you time it right, you can break a grab really fast, before the two characters even go into the grab animations, very akin to when a grab breaks in SSB when two characters are on different levels. Then there is the animation grab break, where if you press the Guard button when the "G" flashes above your characters head, the animation turns into a reversal animation. And if you miss that, then depending on the type of throw, you can also Ukemi before you hit a wall or the ground.

5. If you're getting comboed, when you see an icon appear above your head, you can press "Up" at the right time, and super jump up out of a combo to prevent continuation of the combo against you.

6. We didn't see any "powershielding" or parrying and when we asked about it, they claimed those elements wouldn't be in the game.

7. There will be a "Tag" mode, like Tekken Tag, where you can swap characters in and out.

If anyone else has any questions, let me know. I'll try to purge my memory banks and see what I recall.

Kubuu

Smash Journeyman
I have a proposal for everyone, I have a site, No Advertising It's a site I created to help catalog various video media, specifically combo videos, tutorials, tournament matches, etc. for fighting games. I was planning on creating a Turtles Smash Up section when the game comes out, however, I think I will create one now, after seeing how much people are looking forward to this game. If this sounds like something you would all support, please let me know, and I will create a section today.

Basically, on my site, you can post videos in your posts, to allow for easy indexing of videos. I know I'll probably be flagged for mentioning my site, but eh, whatevs.

Sorry Kubuu. You know M3D loves ya man, but advertising isn't allowed.

TurtleFreak

Smash Apprentice
OMGOMGOMG!!!11!!1!

Dude, thanks so much for the info. It's nice to finally have someone here who's played the demo. I would love it if you added a Smash Up section to your site. In fact, I'm glad you plugged your site because I am eager to watch the vids you have for all the other games too when I have the time.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
Really? Looks more like a short hop with a Brawl type airdodge to me.
You'd have to watch it in context of the video I suppose. That gif is slowed down dramatically. It's definately more than just a short hop when you watch it in context. If you want to see for yourself it's in the first battle of the Game Night footage. Just watch Ralph.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
If anyone else has any questions, let me know. I'll try to purge my memory banks and see what I recall.
I'll try to think of some more, here's a few for now

Do remember if shield-grabbing in the game? If so, would some of the new grabbing mechanics change how effective it is?

How are B-attacks handled in the air? Can up-B's still be used for recovery?

Top Bottom