• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TMNT: Smash Up. A fighter by Brawl developers

nevershootme

Smash Master

TurtleFreak

Smash Apprentice
I was stoked at first...

...But all the characters resemble mostly their 2000 whatever series counterparts...and now rabbids.
Most of the characters models are from the 2007 movie (I love these models, btw).

Who is that last character that's not the rabbid, shredder, splinter, the turtles, or april?

His name is Casey Jones. He's only been in just about every TMNT incarnation ever made.

ptown

Smash Ace
Here's Brawl's definition of fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoozC5UIpAk (This is long before planking was defined, this is the epitome of what planking is)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcojcb7ZMxc (lolz)

Here's everything that's not Brawl's definition of fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgNgB7wV-8g (BlazBlue)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD_imYhNoQ4 (Wombo Combo obviously)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZZUMjoxfZA (mahvel baybee)
i like you and the way you think.

lets be friends.

Tony_

Smash Ace
Here's Brawl's definition of fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoozC5UIpAk (This is long before planking was defined, this is the epitome of what planking is)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcojcb7ZMxc (lolz)

Here's everything that's not Brawl's definition of fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgNgB7wV-8g (BlazBlue)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD_imYhNoQ4 (Wombo Combo obviously)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZZUMjoxfZA (mahvel baybee)
Watching Brawl is like watching paint peel off the wall. Playing it is like swimming in a sewer.

My locals suck lol. None of them are interested in Smash Up. =[ Boo.

nevershootme

Smash Master
Watching Brawl is like watching paint peel off the wall. Playing it is like swimming in a sewer.

My locals suck lol. None of them are interested in Smash Up. =[ Boo.
In the words of one reviewer on Transformers 2 (reference from Roger Ebert's review of the movie),

"Like watching paint dry while getting hit over the head with a frying pan!"

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
well that's how communities like these are, it's hard to find smart posters or people willing to discuss game design properly. they just post with fanboy talk (which i personally hate the most, and i'm gonna deal with that this weekend at an anime con running my brawl tourney)
Even still, you wouldn't think people would be so readily dismissive of it. Take this comment I just found at Gonintendo:

"... it will be a bad fighter in comparison to Brawl. That is pretty much a given. It's so blatantly obvious it will be nowhere near it in any way, and the fact Ubisoft is acting like it will is just terrible for when the game doesn't meet those expectations."

He then goes on to say he's still looking forward to the game kinda/sorta because of the Turtles license. I don't think fanboyism is creating this sentiment.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
This game goes good with Wii Mote alone as well?! That alone is nice, though I still want to know if you can able to use Classy Controller in this game. Since GC Controller is set for this game, adding Classy would be nice.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
it's a big change from smash: lifebars, ground combos, special hit properties, new wall moves, etc. tmnt:su should be interesting to explore.

i waited for brawl for sooooooo long...
i read the dojo updates...
it had zero suit samus...
it had sonic THE hedgehog...
it had solid snake!!!!!!!...
and it... sucks?! wtf?!

the people who "like" brawl are people who don't know how good melee is in comparison or people who like being able to win money off people who think it's a good game. either you're dumb or you've been paid to "like" the game. that is the community of brawl.

what if tmnt: su is actually good...
omg... good times and actual fond memories of an actually good [smash-like] game?!
wouldn't that be amazing?!!!
Or maybe we like the game? Please, stop posting, your ignorance annoys me.

ptown

Smash Ace
how much money were you paid to say that?

can we please get back on topic?

four player, ffa, only michelangelo + wii motion plus, 1 to 1 controls?
good idea say "yayuhz!"
bad say "nayuhz!"

oh and have you guys seen michelangelo in game? he's smooth.

Stryks

Smash Hero
1:1 controls... are you ****ING kidding me?
that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

More of a Leonardo and Shredder fan.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
how much money were you paid to say that?

can we please get back on topic?
No, seriously. I actually like Brawl more than Melee. Just because you think that your OPINION on Melee isn't correct doesn't mean you have to peddle it. Stop hate-festing Brawl. Next person to make a hate comment on either game gets reported on the account of SPAM.

And Donatello's where it's at folks. His range has done good for him in multiple Turtles games. Speed isn't everything. You can't hit what you can't reach.

TurtleFreak

Smash Apprentice
And Donatello's where it's at folks. His range has done good for him in multiple Turtles games. Speed isn't everything. You can't hit what you can't reach.
Nah, dude, it's all about balance. You gotta be able to adapt to any situation. Leo ftw! :)

ptown

Smash Ace
nah, man mikey wins with the twirly stix on a chain with raph being a close second.

raph gots cool grunts and those forks are pretty cool.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
Character smack talk? Alright, I'll bite.

My plan is to keep beating all of you with the Rabbids until you take twisted satisfaction in losing to them.

Aqua Rock X

Smash Ace
Nah, dude, it's all about balance. You gotta be able to adapt to any situation. Leo ftw! :)
There is no doubting that Leo is the greatest turtle of all time, but how exactly do you know Leo is balance character? Maybe I missed or forgot an interview or something. But, yeah Leonardo for the ultimate WIN!!!!!! If I get this game he's definately my main.

TurtleFreak

Smash Apprentice
There is no doubting that Leo is the greatest turtle of all time, but how exactly do you know Leo is balance character? Maybe I missed or forgot an interview or something. But, yeah Leonardo for the ultimate WIN!!!!!! If I get this game he's definately my main.
Well, I was referring more to his philosophy and fighting style in general, but there was a brief mention in this E3 Ubisoft video around 4:40-5:00 that he was designed to have the most "neutral" fighting style of the four turtles meaning that he doesn't lean to any one extreme when it comes to fighting styles. They also said that Raph would be quick and hard-hitting, Mike would be quick and tricky, and Don would have the longest range -- all stuff that you would expect if you're familiar with the turtles at all. Of course, the way a company designs a character and the way players actually use the character can sometimes be very different things.

Aqua Rock X

Smash Ace
Well, I was referring more to his philosophy and fighting style in general, but there was a brief mention in this E3 Ubisoft video around 4:40-5:00 that he was designed to have the most "neutral" fighting style of the four turtles meaning that he doesn't lean to any one extreme when it comes to fighting styles. They also said that Raph would be quick and hard-hitting, Mike would be quick and tricky, and Don would have the longest range -- all stuff that you would expect if you're familiar with the turtles at all. Of course, the way a company designs a character and the way players actually use the character can sometimes be very different things.
Thanks for the video. I figured somewhat you were refering to the personalities of the turtles. Those fighting styles do make sense considering Raph is the rough fighter, he would be brutal where as Leo is calm and cool, and thus be more balanced with natural attacks. Also Leo is said to be an "easy to use" character, which usually have a history of being beginner friendly. Not that such is a bad thing, though.

What's interesting to me is the special move called "Spinning Katana Blades". The move is said to have a lot of range and to be very quick. However, the move can be seen in this video from Nintendo World Report at 1:21, and though it is indeed quick, the range doesn't seem "quite far" as Ubisoft implied it to be. It could be a demo thing, or it could just be me. Still, I'd like to see how Leo does against the other characters. Such a quick move should come in handy when dealing with aerial attacks. :)

ptown

Smash Ace
since stryks and crispy went outside of ranking turtles:

casey jones. he's got a lot of sticks in a bag. you can't beat a guy who has more than one stick.

TurtleFreak

Smash Apprentice
What's interesting to me is the special move called "Spinning Katana Blades". The move is said to have a lot of range and to be very quick. However, the move can be seen in this video from Nintendo World Report at 1:21, and though it is indeed quick, the range doesn't seem "quite far" as Ubisoft implied it to be. It could be a demo thing, or it could just be me. Still, I'd like to see how Leo does against the other characters. Such a quick move should come in handy when dealing with aerial attacks. :)
That's actually some pretty good range for this game. Don's special only goes a little bit further, I think. I've also seen Leo's Spinning Blades come out horizontally, and the distance is a lot more apparent when he does it that way. I wonder if Smash Up will have fall-off damage because I'm sure people will be spamming moves like this to no end.

nevershootme

Smash Master
That's actually some pretty good range for this game. Don's special only goes a little bit further, I think. I've also seen Leo's Spinning Blades come out horizontally, and the distance is a lot more apparent when he does it that way. I wonder if Smash Up will have fall-off damage because I'm sure people will be spamming moves like this to no end.
high ceiling fall damage, sorry but that's not gonna happen, and we've already seen the game that no matter how high you jump, there isn't any fall damage. even then the gravity in the game is not as nuts as smash. so there's no uber power attacks like fox's u-smash sending people at 100mph.

now if using specials costing your health was in, then we have a different story (a la final fight, streets of rage)

TurtleFreak

Smash Apprentice
high ceiling fall damage, sorry but that's not gonna happen, and we've already seen the game that no matter how high you jump, there isn't any fall damage. even then the gravity in the game is not as nuts as smash. so there's no uber power attacks like fox's u-smash sending people at 100mph.

now if using specials costing your health was in, then we have a different story (a la final fight, streets of rage)

That's precisely what I wasn't talking about...

Fall-off damage. As in, the more you spam an attack, the less damage it does. Just like what Brawl had.

M3D

In the Game of Thrones, You Morph or You Die
BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Just to chime in on the turtles ranking discussion. Clearly Leo is the best turtle, then Raph, and then Mikey and Don in no particular order.

I will be maining Leo, as I've been a TMNT fan since before most of you were born and Leo has always been my fav. I will probably pick up Splinter as a secondary unless someone awesome like Panda Khan makes it into the game.

TurtleFreak

Smash Apprentice
Case you didn't see yet, I updated the first post with some stuff like you asked.
Looking at your list of characters, is the second rabbid really a cheerleader rabbid? It looked like a plain one to me. Also, you know Utrominator doesn't have an "L" in it, right? :(

Top Bottom