• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TMNT: Smash Up. A fighter by Brawl developers

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
Er, no? I pray to God that there is no wavedashing or things of the sort. This game isn't Smash y'know.
Wavedashing doesn't exactly define Smash you know. So far, odds are 2:1 that a Smash game won't have it. ;)

Regardless, it isn't sounding like it'll be in there. I'm still open to them experimenting - this is their big opportunity to stop worrying about offending anyone in the Smash Bros fanbase with the design decisions they make. It's supposed to be a different game than Brawl.

Kubuu

Smash Journeyman
Once again, everything I say is from what I recall, so I apologize if it seems inaccurate compared to what you have read or seen. For grabbing out of blocking, it takes a bit more timing, it didn't appear like it was a way easy thing to do. You would really have to wait out your opponents' barrage, and get your grab in when you could. In this game though, it doesn't appear as if though getting grabbed a lot is as devastating as it is in SSB, since you can reverse grabs pretty effectively.

That's not to say that you can't do damage with grabs, as they change significantly between all the characters and depending on whether or not you are near a wall (some of which in particular I don't think you can Ukemi from if you miss the grab break).

In the air, there were no "Up + B's". Example, from the ground, Mikey has the rising thunder move from TMNT Tournament Fighters (a dragon punch with a spinning nunchuck". If you perform it in the air, he doesn't get an lift from it, he just performs the move in the air. So you couldn't use it for recovering. I think since no one really has an "Up + B" recovring becomes more a skill of wall jumping and wall climbing, while avoiding an opponent who is trying to prevent such recovery. As you noticed, many people in the 1up video were dying in the Rooftop stage, because those skills came greatly into play there.

M3D

In the Game of Thrones, You Morph or You Die
BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Can someone collect all the available videos into links on the first page?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Regarding the airdodging, Airdodging is in, but was completely non directional when we played it. So if you were holding left and you did an airdodge, you would airdodge, but not to the left. It's like Melee airdodge, but with no direction, and Brawl recovery after the airdodge (allowing movement after the airdodge).
But the gif shows him keeping his momentum when dodging, which is more Brawl airdodge than Melee which froze you on the spot to dodge.

Buuut I'm just being picky.

ptown

Smash Ace
thanks for the info, kubuu.

from watching some vids, the block in the game seems to block everything from all sides (no high/low block game or front/back etc.) it seems with only unblockables (that are probably slow) and escapable grabs/throws, you don't got to worry about much when blocking.

do you remember if there was any guard breaking going on? not just from unblockables, but from like a constant barrage of regular attacks on block. that would be pretty good incentive to keep moving and evading. heck, chip damage would be good incentive, too.

it would reward an aggressive player. and i like that.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
Can someone collect all the available videos into links on the first page?
There's actually a LOT of videos out counting all the cam footage at E3. I think I'd probably end up limiting it just to the direct feed stuff.

I'll try to get it done this weekend.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
But the gif shows him keeping his momentum when dodging, which is more Brawl airdodge than Melee which froze you on the spot to dodge.

Buuut I'm just being picky.
Watch the Game Night video, you're missing the context without it. That gif is playing 3x slower than it actually happens in motion.

It stunts his momentum obviously so before he reaches his jump's apex. He does a second air dodge shortly after the gif happens where he jumps higher but still drops back down suddenly. It's pretty clear cut it isn't like Brawl's.

Stryks

Smash Hero
I've been looking at this for a while, and I really can't wait to get this, I'm maining Shredder, he seems like that games Ganondorf, and he even has a grab like him!

However I was watching the new vid from IGN and the game looks painfully slow, IDK, maybe it was because I was looking at just shredder, but yeah, it looked really slow.

from jumping, to dodging, I hope it's just my imagination.

And also Donattello = the MK of smash up. you heard it here 1st folks.

Kubuu

Smash Journeyman
Your guard does eventually get broken after a long enough barrage of attacks. Your character doesn't get crazy stunned, but you are unable to block and are left open to attack.

ptown

Smash Ace
visual cues before an incoming guard break would be a nice touch, too. i don't know if you noticed anything like that though.

anyway it sounds like a good mix: it is similar to smash where there is a "shield break" but without all the random unblockable hits in between (due to a unreliable shield bubble).

thanks for all the answers. that's good that you DA guys liked the game. now i have hope that there is something to look forward to in a smash-like game. there is NOTHING as fun in any other fighter as smash team games for me.

§leepy God

Smash Master
Wow, I would think they would put just one version in since Ubisoft is in this game, but why two!? Also
poor Rabbid getting in last in the video. D:

TurtleFreak

Smash Apprentice
I swear, if the stupid Rabbids are in and Usagi isn't, I'm going to be super ticked. At least now I have a couple characters that I won't be playing...

ptown

Smash Ace
this character will be annoying.

the people who pick this character are probably annoying.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
Rabbids were included as joke charactors so people don't take the game seriously, or as a shameless plug, your choice.
I wouldn't write them off so soon. I haven't so much as touched this game, but experience with the Smash Bros franchise tells me it's not good to judge a character based solely on appearances. A character one person regards as worthless might be deadly in the hands of another.

ptown

Smash Ace
^ i don't think he was talking about how strong the characters were.

they may be looking for a similar effect with rabbids that melee had increasing fire emblem's popularity.

with splinter cell rabbid, it's probably a parody of the inclusion of snake in brawl. i won't be surprised if there will be a new trailer where splinter cell rabbid is revealed.

when the game comes out, someone in a group somewhere will get the "cute" idea to do a all rabbids free for all. annoying.

§leepy God

Smash Master
As long as someone don't say, "this character replace that character" then I'm fine with the Rabbids in this game, just don't make a third one. D:<

derek.haines

Smash Ace
Just watch them be the most be the most balanced characters in the game.

"3 stock, Neutral Stages, Rabbids only"

I can see it now... :D

TurtleFreak

Smash Apprentice
As long as they add at least these characters, then they can put as many rabbids as they want in the game:

1. Baxter
2. Bebop
3. Hun
4. Karai
5. Krang
6. Leatherhead (supposedly confirmed)
7. Rat King
8. Rocksteady

It would also be really nice if Fugitoid, Usagi, and a Triceraton make it in too, but I figure the above characters are minimum for this game.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I hate the rabbids. Really, the stupid creatures replaced Rayman....

Tony_

Smash Ace
I wouldn't write them off so soon. I haven't so much as touched this game, but experience with the Smash Bros franchise tells me it's not good to judge a character based solely on appearances. A character one person regards as worthless might be deadly in the hands of another.

§leepy God

Smash Master
Aw man, Pichu was so awful, I don't even know why people main him in Melee, lol. I hope the Rabbids isn't a joke character, though I am confused of why there are two of them in this game.

Stryks

Smash Hero
I'm fine with them adding a Rabbid... but 2 RABBIDS?!

WTF TMTN has a huge selection of characters for a roster, I don't see why they need two rabbids...

Tony_

Smash Ace
I really don't like the inclusion of Rabbids. Though in all honesty, I probably will try to use Splinter Rabbid just because Sam Fisher alone is incredible. Maybe.

Still waiting for Slash / Chrome Dome.
Rabbids will be joke characters anyways unless either Rabbid has a way to have a good zoning game, especially Splinter Rabbid.

Also, Slash should be in.

Chrome Dome? Idk. Dome could be in because of him being in TF.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
The Rabbids inclusions don't really bother me. I actually see them as a positive considering they're a different build of character, which means they might be more unique to play as in how gravity affects them, specials, etc. Though I'm sure there's something in the Turtles canon that could have worked out in their stead.

I'm more looking forward to this as Smash(-ish) game than a TMNT compendium, so I might be easier to please than the rest of you guys in that regard. Not to say I never liked the license - I had tons of TMNT action figures as a kid.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I was stoked at first...

...But all the characters resemble mostly their 2000 whatever series counterparts...and now rabbids.

Who is that last character that's not the rabbid, shredder, splinter, the turtles, or april?

Not worth the $50 the game costs.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
I
Who is that last character that's not the rabbid, shredder, splinter, the turtles, or april?

Not worth the $50 the game costs.
So, let me get this straight. You don't even know who all the announced characters are (let alone how they play) and you're ready to declare that it won't be worth the asking price? Talk about jumping to conclusions.

On that note, I've been noticing a lot of lukewarm reactions from internet bystanders about this game recently (not too much on Smashboards). It doesn't seem to matter that the game's looking to be as big (if not bigger) of a change from Brawl than Brawl was to Melee; the 'why would I pay for this when I have Brawl' comments keep coming up. High irony.

I've even heard some claim that they'll be peachy with Brawl's (poor) online relative to the alleged improvements Smash Up will bring. They're so tethered to their mascots that common sense is lost on them.

Not trying to stereotype the Smash community as a whole here. Just shedding some light on the sentiments floating around.

nevershootme

Smash Master
well that's how communities like these are, it's hard to find smart posters or people willing to discuss game design properly. they just post with fanboy talk (which i personally hate the most, and i'm gonna deal with that this weekend at an anime con running my brawl tourney)

I have high hopes for a proper remedy to get away from the mess that is Brawl. seeing this game hardly has uses of projectiles, since so far it's straight up fighting with some power ups for each character. and this might be the cure for it, but even then when high hopes happen, screwups may occur and reviewers will pan the game like it's trash. reviewers will not put this game in the 9.0+ rating (just a speculation)

as for the rabbid issue, they should have not leaked it in game and left it as an easter egg in game as a surprise gift for unlocking everything. seeing it's ubisoft and the rabbids are currently their popular brand, they have the right to throw that in regardless just for laughs... since that theme in smash up is Ninjas, i mean it's obvious you see a rabbid with nunchuks for fisher rabbid (since ubisoft has rights for splinter cell), but who knows if it's only for that particular demo only and will not be in the final build

ptown

Smash Ace
it's a big change from smash: lifebars, ground combos, special hit properties, new wall moves, etc. tmnt:su should be interesting to explore.

i waited for brawl for sooooooo long...
i read the dojo updates...
it had zero suit samus...
it had sonic THE hedgehog...
it had solid snake!!!!!!!...
and it... sucks?! wtf?!

the people who "like" brawl are people who don't know how good melee is in comparison or people who like being able to win money off people who think it's a good game. either you're dumb or you've been paid to "like" the game. that is the community of brawl.

what if tmnt: su is actually good...
omg... good times and actual fond memories of an actually good [smash-like] game?!
wouldn't that be amazing?!!!

Top Bottom