• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Texture Hacks Are Here!

GodFed

Smash Apprentice
And S. has made his mark on Smashboards, too. :)

Here's my stuff. Since this seems to be the place, if anywhere, on the boards.
C. Falcon: Pinstripe BAIR
C. Falcon: Pinstripe PAWNCH
Mario: yeah, him, too
Pikachu: Black electrititay
Multiple: 3 of em

heh, school started, so this will probably stop for me...I'm not going to the lengths yet that S. has with this, but I've been checking out all the files and offsets and such. Pretty doable.

S. - permission to do a little tutorial here on Smashboards, in this thread, on how to texture hack Melee? You have the rights (haha, sortof) to the whole thing really, so it's your call on the tutes.

Steelia

Smash Champion
And S. has made his mark on Smashboards, too. :)

[stuff]

heh, school started, so this will probably stop for me...I'm not going to the lengths yet that S. has with this, but I've been checking out all the files and offsets and such. Pretty doable.

S. - permission to do a little tutorial here on Smashboards, in this thread, on how to texture hack Melee? You have the rights (haha, sortof) to the whole thing really, so it's your call on the tutes.
O:
Sweet stuff you've got going there... The Pikachu hack reminds me of one of the first Brawl hacks ever made. :p

And, ifever you find the time, I really wouldn't mind it at all if you gave a shot at making your own tutorial. School's started back up for me as well, so I've got my face buried in my college books... Ugh. Making my own tutorial's been one of the last things on my mind (given I wanted to make it a little bit... thorough).

...Ah, and ifever you figure out where the heck Stock Icons are located, PLEASE do tell. I've been wanting to edit those. >_>

GodFed

Smash Apprentice
cool, thanks. haha, nice mario bros, btw on SS

Yeah, I'll see what I can cook up. Probably nothing too elaborate, but we'll see.

I'd figure they'd be in the Pl files, since they change with the different character colors...dunno, I'll take a look, I suppose. _0, right?

Do you think you can give me an explanation as to why some Pl files (PlMtNr example) are bigger filesizes than some of their similar colored ones (PlMtBu, etc)? I'm not sure what extra stuff is added to the files, or where, but in the case with Mewtwo, the textures that I tried seemed to work in the same offsets, but I might be wrong, since I checked with one of the eye textures - there are like 4 of them.

Toya

Smash Apprentice
does Super Smash Bros. Melee (GALE) ISO just mean a copy of it. or is it something totally different?

EDIT: I meant is Super Smash Bros. Melee (GALE) ISO just a copy of the game.

Steelia

Smash Champion
^ Erm, Toya, that IS Melee. Or rather, it's the file located in the Smash Bros. Melee GCN disc. The data stored on said disc is called an ISO.

@GodFed: That's because some files have more textures stored... In Mewtwo's case, his "normal" color .DAT file has a few scrapped eye textures, where his other 3 colors have less (I think there are four in his normal color... 1 is an extra/unused normal eye; 1 is a more cross-eyed eye; 1 is a black texture; and the last is a different hurt eye animation).
And, in some cases, there's just some access data that I'm not sure of... Not sure why some are a few lines longer to dozens of lines longer. (I think Roy's the only character with data files that are relatively close to exact.)

eagletrent242

Smash Apprentice
I'm very interested in this project but from what I'm reading it can only be done with a Wii? I only play Melee on my gamecube. And so the ISO is the original disc or it one that is downloaded from a torrent and burned to a DVD?

Steelia

Smash Champion
how would i go about locating that file
Unfortunately, that is something that cannot be discussed, as such talk could be deemed illegal, whether you have the game or not.
All I can say is, if you have a Wii, the Homebrew Channel, and a special disc-dumping app, you can get it that way. ;)

I'm very interested in this project but from what I'm reading it can only be done with a Wii? I only play Melee on my gamecube. And so the ISO is the original disc or it one that is downloaded from a torrent and burned to a DVD?
Aye, these textures/hackings only work with Melee on the Nintendo Wii. I don't know of any way to play them on the GCN.
But yes, you'd get the ISO of Melee (someway or another), and burn it to DVD-R... You'd need something called the Homebrew Channel installed on your Wii, and certain other apps to run your disc.

Toya

Smash Apprentice
I've been trying to install the Wad Manager, and Homebrew won't load anything off my SD card.
I know i did it right, but i don't get the option to install it, should i re install homebrew then try again?

Steelia

Smash Champion
^ So the Homebrew Channel installed successfully?
What update version of Wii do you have?

I believe, in the root of the SD Card, you need to have a folder called "wads" or "wad", where you stick the WADs... then another folder, marked "app" where you put the Homebrew apps inside (including the WAD Manager itself).

Toya

Smash Apprentice
^ So the Homebrew Channel installed successfully?
What update version of Wii do you have?

I believe, in the root of the SD Card, you need to have a folder called "wads" or "wad", where you stick the WADs... then another folder, marked "app" where you put the Homebrew apps inside (including the WAD Manager itself).
i did all that, my problem was the lack of a boot.elf.
now that i have it, it says error 2011.

I take it i have to downgrade my wii, which i am currently in the process of doing.

Toya

Smash Apprentice
and for some reason can't do, because when i try to load the wads i need to it just makes me restart my wii...

ugh, this is so dumb.

Steelia

Smash Champion
^ Huh. You must be missing a program in there somewhere.

I'll assume you've already followed THIS mini-tutorial? Has some stuff you might be missing.

As a last(?) resort, I'd recommend trying to find a forum that specializes in this kind of thing, and look for a possible answer for your problem... Either by searching forums, or making a topic about it at those places.

Toya

Smash Apprentice
i haven't gotten WAD manager running yet.
I either get error 2011 or error 1

but i may have solved it, i'll find out later.

GodFed

Smash Apprentice
S., this is a complete guess on my part, but the icon textures could be stored in the character selection screen. Read the thread "Character Selection Bug" somewhere around here, which explains that depending on the displayed csp portrait, not the chosen character, the icons are chosen for the match.
eg- choose falco, change csp via glitch to yoshi, and you get yoshi icons in-game while playing as falco

once again, a completely unfounded guess, with no evidence, and only my thoughts. ..check it out if it makes sense, unless you haven't already. I figured that it's not in the Pl files, since that's only model data specifically for the textures on the models...not for icons.

Steelia

Smash Champion
^ The "Pl" stuff, I believe, is only strictly related to the characters' models, and their textures. That's really about it. Their CSPs are located in another .DAT file altogether, so I'd assume so would their Stock Icons.
I'll have to check that out. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the two were bundled together, as the person whom I saw hack the Melee stock icons also hacked some of the "Choose Your Character" roster icons.

GodFed

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, the only thing would be sorting through the oodles of hex data to find each one...

ah, the guy with the luigi, yellow kirby, and mushroom kingdom edits? I saw that..so the locations are probably related in the files.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
wow that texture is pretty bad ***.

hows it possible to do this on the cube?

IM me if it crosses lines on SWF.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Grand news for those who've been waiting.

At long last, a guide on how to texture hack Melee's been made to fruition. You can actually find the topic at these forums, here:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=247119

The guide itself is by GodFed; MuraRengan gets props for writing a guide on how to actually PLAY the hacks... I just wrote the part in the guide on how to figure out +1 and +2 textures. :p

In any case, now that a guide's finally been released, I can get to organizing those Melee texture packages I've been holding onto for so long. All I need to do at this point is to get rid of a program or two, put in some extra files I may have missed, give each package their heaping helping of TCS files... and then host 'em on Megaupload and see how that rolls.
This'll be an interesting Labor Day weekend. ;)

Steelia

Smash Champion
By "Texture packages", you wouldn't happen to mean unedited textures, would you?
Precisely. ;)

While I've far from ripped every character costume in the game... I HAVE ripped at least 1 costume a character (save Mr. Game & Watch, naturally), and got one or two stages that have also been figured out. Includes the Wireframes, Giga Bowser, the Hands, even the CSPs for all the characters.

LSDX

Wah!
I know it's been done in Brawl, but could it be possible for anyone to create a Ronald McDonald texture for Captain Falcon?

GodFed

Smash Apprentice
@McSnapple - It's incredibly possible. I've actually half done one (the sleeves and the helmet with the McDonalds logo), so I'll probably upload that along with other goodies near the end of the week.

Top Bottom