• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balanced Brawl Standard Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Could be your Wii.

If you don't hear it powering up two levels, do what I do:

Shake it once and wait until you hear a faint beep; that means it's powering up another level.

And do that again.

MysticGospel

Smash Cadet
Well, regular Brawl runs fine, but when I try to launch BB, I choose "Launch Game" then it says that there's no disc, then I try again, and this time it starts to load, but then it says "disc read error".

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Are you using Gecko 1.9.2 or 1.9.1? Use the latter if you aren't. If you already are, your Wii lense is probably weakening.

MysticGospel

Smash Cadet
I don't know which version, because I just downloaded the zip file on the first post, if I need to get Gecko 1.9.2, how would I get it?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Here goes me posting again, hopefully not to be ignored this time.
I use Zelda/Sheik so I thought id give some feed back.

I personally use Farore's wind a lot with wind canceling(which can now spike and thats awesome)
And I often use it from above, It's hard for most of people to predict exactly where she lands
and if they do get ht by it its a sure set up for a combo
I also think her jab is fine with the flower effect and it doesn't need to be an amazing move it doesn't "suck" I never really used it unless it was an accident but it knocks the enemy away so that's one thing about it.

The F tilt is better for the Peach match up as it gives her something to cut through Peach's approach when shes floating near the ground and it helps her as you put it "poke" through defenses somewhat, though having it combo into Usmash will take some getting used to.
As for her grab game it seems the back throw always has a diagonally upward angle behind Zelda.
In vBrawl it would sometimes send characters straight back which was a little more useful for killing IMO and with her Dsmash I know the angle was changed so it couldn't be teched but that RARELY ever happened, It was really useful when it semi spiked for match ups like Olimar and Falco.
I like the change to F Smash, its frustrating knowing that a move should kill and it randomly doesn't and U tilt seems more reliable and there are more opportunities to use it.
I think when that Bandit guy meant we never use Farore's wind meant because it didn't really have many uses in vBrawl I think he needs to learn to adjust Bbrawl and see that some attacks can now be used in different ways, If hes got a problem with that he can stick to vBrawl :/.
Then again I supposed I don't play like most Zelda users so I wouldn't fit into that "We" category.

One of her main problems in my opinion is how incredible easy it is to edge hog, though now that Farore's wind spikes people will likely think twice before jumping on the edge.
The biggest issue with it is how long she is unable to move after finishing in the air.
Wolf also shares this problem, when recovering from if she doesn't sweet spot the edge(which is already difficult to do) she just falls to her death due to her inability to move.

As for Sheik I didn't really think she needed many changes but I think she may be a little worse off with out her tilt lock.
It can hardly even combo 3 times and it used to be a major help on match ups against heavy weights.

Oh and about Zelda's grab, I never really thought it was "horrible" maybe because I don't use any other characters than Zelda/Sheik but it works for me.
It is sorta slow but it has decent range and her throws do nice damage.

I appreciate the non helplessness after using Din's aerial.
I use it when returning to the stage from above to attack and sometimes KO characters such as MK or ZSS when they jump up to attack with an aerial.
It gets really predictable and most opponents just start to shield and wait to edge hog or punish her as she falls back down.
Thanks to the new mechanic she has more options after using it.
I'd like to say no one was ever ignored; it's just a lot of work actually typing out responses to everyone (we like to try, but we don't have infinite time for smashboards). We do actually read and consider everything seriously; even if it doesn't get a specific response, input is always appreciated and welcome and never ignored.

Anyway, either two people responded similarly to Farore's Wind or I did respond to you like this earlier. I alluded to such trickery though must say people discussing it in this topic is all I've ever heard of it actually working. It's interesting to see Zelda's options being explored like that no doubt; I'm just saying how we originally designed it (if it's legitimately good to use a lot, it's better than we thought it was when we released... that's not necessarily a bad thing). Hearing alternate perspectives on things like this is always fun; we look forward to seeing development on the part of that tactic.

Zelda's bthrow has an unchanged angle and is simply a more powerful launch force in the same direction (due to how gravity works in the physics engine, this will result in it looking just barely higher but not enough to matter much). What you're experiencing is probably people just DIing it better than they used to; the final angle can vary wildly with DI.

Here's the thing with dsmash and teching. It probably didn't happen much in standard Brawl, but with it more powerful, it was happening a lot in our testing. By this I mean people were learning their Zelda matchups and starting to tech it 90%+ of the time it would be possible to tech it, making it useless as a kill move (worse than it was in standard Brawl really because they bothered to learn the tech window). Of course, it was only "worse" because people felt more threatened by Zelda so they learned more stuff to exploit against her so reverting wasn't exactly a fix; the only way we could make her better for real and not better in the sense that she wasn't dangerous enough to learn all the exploits against her was to raise the angle a bit. It should still be low enough to be quite handy against the likes of Olimar and Falco even if not the semispiking fun it used to be (which, if they bothered to learn the tech, would have only really been applicable near edges anyway).

Yeah, Zelda's grab is almost as laggy as a tether grab, but it has the range of a normal grab. It's the worst of both worlds.

Sheik's ftilt lock was just broken in some matchups. Fox vs Sheik was stupidly in Sheik's favor just from her spamming ftilt; that's not good.

Yeah, the utilt angle was improved a bit; it's good to see that coming in handy.

In general, we're optimistic about Zelda & Sheik. I could say more, but this reply has sat half-completed on my computer for two days so I should just post it.

Well, regular Brawl runs fine, but when I try to launch BB, I choose "Launch Game" then it says that there's no disc, then I try again, and this time it starts to load, but then it says "disc read error".
This is sounding like a hardware problem to me (which we can't do anything about). For sanity's sake though, what version is the system menu on your Wii?

MysticGospel

Smash Cadet
How do I put 1.9.1 on the SD card, so it works? I saw a download link in the link on the first post, but I don't know how to put it on so it replaces 1.9.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Go into your SD card and go into a folder called apps... you should find a folder called Gecko19X (X is usually the update number you have). Delete that and place the new downloaded Gecko191 folder in it. I haven't tested this on Stacksmash, but it should work.

MysticGospel

Smash Cadet
I don't remember seeing a Gecko folder in the Aps folder, but I'll try that. I didn't know how to add Gecko 1.9.1, so I'll try that.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I use 1.9.0.1 and it works great. Really, a wrong Gecko version isn't a good explanation for what's going on, but 1.9.1 was what was included in the .zip anyway (and it is the version most people have the most luck with).

I really think you have hardware issues. The best way to test this is to try on a friend's Wii and see if the result is the same. I suspect it will not be.

MysticGospel

Smash Cadet
It may be a hardware issue, since it's just not reading the disc, and sometimes when I put Brawl in, it doesn't read the disc, and I have to take it out and put it back in. I may just need to clean the disc drive.

Also, when I get to Gecko, it says 1.9 on the top right corner, so I may need to get 1.9.1.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Does your Wii read other games with ease? Like, Wii Sports, etc? It's probably the laser.

As I said, mine is like that, but if I jiggle it a little, it seems to slip into place or something.

MysticGospel

Smash Cadet
Yeah, the Wii reads other discs just fine. I think the problem may have to do with the disc not spinning when I try to launch BB.

During my first try there's no spinning, so it says that there's no disc. The second time, it starts spinning, but then I think it stops spinning while it's reading the files on the SD card, and I get a disc read error. I think in the text file, of Gecko 191, it says that it gets rid of the fact that the disc has to spin twice to work, but I still have to launch the game twice to get the disc spinning, so it may be because I don't have Gecko 1.9.1. But, I'm also still having trouble putting Gecko 1.91 on the SD card, because it still says Gecko 1.9 on the screen.

Edit: Yeah, the problem is that when the files are being read, the disc stops spinning, and I get an error message. So I think it might be a software and not hardware problem, since it just stops when the files are being read.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I'd like to say no one was ever ignored; it's just a lot of work actually typing out responses to everyone (we like to try, but we don't have infinite time for smashboards). We do actually read and consider everything seriously; even if it doesn't get a specific response, input is always appreciated and welcome and never ignored.

Anyway, either two people responded similarly to Farore's Wind or I did respond to you like this earlier. I alluded to such trickery though must say people discussing it in this topic is all I've ever heard of it actually working. It's interesting to see Zelda's options being explored like that no doubt; I'm just saying how we originally designed it (if it's legitimately good to use a lot, it's better than we thought it was when we released... that's not necessarily a bad thing). Hearing alternate perspectives on things like this is always fun; we look forward to seeing development on the part of that tactic.

Zelda's bthrow has an unchanged angle and is simply a more powerful launch force in the same direction (due to how gravity works in the physics engine, this will result in it looking just barely higher but not enough to matter much). What you're experiencing is probably people just DIing it better than they used to; the final angle can vary wildly with DI.

Here's the thing with dsmash and teching. It probably didn't happen much in standard Brawl, but with it more powerful, it was happening a lot in our testing. By this I mean people were learning their Zelda matchups and starting to tech it 90%+ of the time it would be possible to tech it, making it useless as a kill move (worse than it was in standard Brawl really because they bothered to learn the tech window). Of course, it was only "worse" because people felt more threatened by Zelda so they learned more stuff to exploit against her so reverting wasn't exactly a fix; the only way we could make her better for real and not better in the sense that she wasn't dangerous enough to learn all the exploits against her was to raise the angle a bit. It should still be low enough to be quite handy against the likes of Olimar and Falco even if not the semispiking fun it used to be (which, if they bothered to learn the tech, would have only really been applicable near edges anyway).

Yeah, Zelda's grab is almost as laggy as a tether grab, but it has the range of a normal grab. It's the worst of both worlds.

Sheik's ftilt lock was just broken in some matchups. Fox vs Sheik was stupidly in Sheik's favor just from her spamming ftilt; that's not good.

Yeah, the utilt angle was improved a bit; it's good to see that coming in handy.

In general, we're optimistic about Zelda & Sheik. I could say more, but this reply has sat half-completed on my computer for two days so I should just post it.
well, I'm fine with most changes on Zelda (Dsmash, Bthrow and Farore's are pretty good), but she has hard times at racking up damage, and making jab just the same/less useful than it already was, just means that it needs some thing or two to fix about it (but, again, I'm unable to think of something about that=b)

Din's Fire no freefall is highly appreciated, but it still lags too much so it's hardly noticeable unless you're recovering too high, and a smart player can just pressure to have you doing it when recovering, just avoid it somehow and gimp while recovering control. I seriously though on less ending lag on it (from explosion to end, just of the aerial), so it can be REALLY useful both attacking and recovering.

also, someone told me that Nayru's Love is still unable to beat most proyectile characters (Samus, Falco, Olimar). He wants to have it also with less aerial ending lag. I told him taht isn't really nessesary, but I couldn't tell him why. I'd just like to see your opinion of it to answer him properly.

and, btw, Z/S combo is good in most cases (I'm actually starting use it since zelda didn't got the attention she needed...), but still needs help on zelda, 'cuz she is still having just the same hard times with small characters (sp those that Sheik can't kill)...

In other thread, I a friend of mine plays falco, and he don't really liked to chaingrab before, but he used a lot of dthrow to set up combos (Dthow>DACUS was annoying...), when he played BB he didn't liked the fact he lose most of his combo possibilities. I'd also want to hear your opinion of that.

Ehic

Smash Cadet
Found a glitch.
If Link or Toon Link misses a grab, and gets hit by Lucas's pk fire on the last few frames of the hookshot being pulled in, then Link or Toon Link will die instantly. I have only been able to do it on final destination. Due to the circumstances, i don't see it needing to be solved immediately but thought you all want to know.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Hm.

Sounds replicatable in Training.

EXPERIMENTATION TIME

SIENZ

WHAT
THE

"Speed: x1"
"Enemy: Control"
"Damage: 192"
"Consecutive Hits: 2"
"Total Damage: 196"

................that was AMAZING

(also it's the last few frames of it going out, when it falls)

LOL

I TETHERED THE EDGE DURING KNOCKBACK

That's amazing.

I'm going to test this in vBrawl.

Yeaaaaaaah.
This is only in bBrawl, heh.

I could test Brawl+ to see if it's a defunct in the Frame Speed Mod...but...eh...I'll go for it.

Nope. It's related to the damage increase in PK Fire.

Mit

Smash Ace
Oh someone grab a video of that quick.

Also, that could be pretty bad. I mean, if you see a Link whiff a grab, is it really that hard to time it and destroy them with PK fire?

Ehic

Smash Cadet
If link misses the grab flat out not likely but if lucas predicts the grab, and short hops over it then it really easy to abuse.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
You'd have to predict a grab.

Even trying to replicate it proved difficult at times.

And the damage on Twink (Twilight) varies so much depending on where he is and if you hit his back or not @.@

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
This is not easy to abuse... trust me, me and my friend have been doing friendlies in BBrawl for a long time, I main Lucas he mains Link... I didn't even know about this glitch until I read it, and from the way it sounds it probably would be near impossible to do in a match... seriously, if you're going to freak out all about this glitch, shouldn't you fix the instant Star KO on Frigate Orpheon?

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
the situation would sorta change in teams though. i would think its easier to land if you arent the one being grabbed at.

can someone confirm if this is a bbrawl only glitch?

TP

Smash Master
the situation would sorta change in teams though. i would think its easier to land if you arent the one being grabbed at.

can someone confirm if this is a bbrawl only glitch?
"Look, they have a Link on their team! Listen, I'll go Lucas and you just spend the entire match shielding in Link's face. Trust me, we'll win this way."

Not broken, useful, or matchup-changing. Awesome and hilarious, though.

:034:

Linkshot

Smash Hero
It's only bBrawl. It has to do with the buff to the second hit of PK Fire.

And Link(s) have to MISS the grab.

ALSO

For Twink (Twilight!!), if you hit him after it's already on the ground, he actually takes LESS damage and knockback overall.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
that is very unusual. does this work on other tethers, or just link and tlink? and what physical property is causing it? to clarify, does it just send them at a low angle or is it like and extremely high knock back hit?

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Low angle AND extremely high knockback and damage.

But if you hit Link from behind...he takes a total of 67 damage and flies backwards with NO hope of surviving whatsoever. At least with the low angle, he has the opportunity to tether the ledge.

By extremely high, I mean no amount of DI could begin to save you, even at 0%.

xatm092

Smash Apprentice
I seriously though on less ending lag on it (from explosion to end, just of the aerial), so it can be REALLY useful both attacking and recovering.
Because Din's Fire isn't Zelda's most annoying overused move....

(in b4 someone says "actually, USmash")

In other thread, I a friend of mine plays falco, and he don't really liked to chaingrab before, but he used a lot of dthrow to set up combos (Dthow>DACUS was annoying...), when he played BB he didn't liked the fact he lose most of his combo possibilities. I'd also want to hear your opinion of that.
I do think Falco's Dsmash has been overnerfed.

"Look, they have a Link on their team! Listen, I'll go Lucas and you just spend the entire match shielding in Link's face. Trust me, we'll win this way."
Lol'd.

IrohDW

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-2473-0493-0622
I am very happy with the concept of BBrawl and the results that have been achieved in its first release. However, there are some things that don't make sense in BBrawl (and/or regular Brawl) that I think should be addressed.

Metaknight: I think that you guys went too far in nerfing his tornado. As it is, it is very difficult to get a useful amount of damage out of it because the opponent gets out way too fast. I think that the tornado should suck opponents in, but it should be weak enough that even heavyweights can DI out of it.

Jigglypuff: I think that Jigglypuff's sing should be buffed. I don't believe this because I think Jigglypuff necessarily needs the help in matchups; instead I think that it should be buffed because Sing is a central component of Jigglypuff's character in the pokemon series. I also think it is a ludicrous that jigglypuff has been in all 3 smash games and sing's excessive flaws still haven't been addressed. Although there are many ways to make sing useful, there is one method in particular that should be considered. Sing consists of three individual pulses. As it is now the opponent needs to be at over 150% in order to get frame advantage when hitting the opponent with the first pulse. Fixing sing could be done by letting Jigglypuff cancel the sing inbetween pulses with jumping, shielding, smashing, etc.

Pit: One of the things that make Pit unique is his Wings of Icarius. It allows him to follow an opponent and presents the opportunity for mindgames unavailable to other characters. One thing that limits its use and doesn't make sense is that if Pit cancels it with an attack or gets hit not only is he unable to use it again, but he loses all of the 3 mid-air jumps he hasn't used. Instead of doing things this way, should Pit cancel the move or get hit I think that he should be unable to use WoI again, but not lose the mid-air jumps he hasn't used. I am aware of the fact that touching the ground after initiating WoI gives him his jumps after its use, however I argue that the need to be that close to the ground limits the move's potential too much.

DK: It makes no sense to me that using his neutral B puts him in a fall state. In all of the smash bros. games only recovery moves are supposed to put a character in a fall state. It makes no sense for this move to do so. Out of curiosity, could you explain why you altered the knockback of his down cargo throw?

Falcon: I disagree with the changes you have made to Falcon Kick. Although I greatly appreciate the move being safe on hit, I think that following up on it isn't reliable enough to be useful like raptor boost, upthrow, and down tilt are because it has too much end lag and it has too much knockback. I think that it should be a kill move at high percents while being safe on hit at any percent. Also, I think that Falcon Punch (and Ganon's warlock punch) need super armor on the last 10-20 frames to compensate for their enormous startup lag.

Samus: It seems to me that upthrow and downthrow hit the opponent too high to be useful for followups. As they are now the opponent is sent so high that only upair can reach them which has too little priority to compete with most characters down airs. It also doesn't make practical sense that both moves have almost identical knockbacks.

It also makes no sense that some jab combs (zss, samus, etc.) have such low hitstun that they can be shieldgrabbed. I think that definately needs fixing.

Please understand that I am not trying to be critical, but I feel that these things should be addressed. I am grateful for the extensive time and effort AA, Thinkman, and others have put in to make this work. I have spent a lot of time playing BBrawl and look forward to the advancement of the metagame and the growth of the BBrawl community. If there is anything I can do to help, let me know.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Metaknight: I think that you guys went too far in nerfing his tornado. As it is, it is very difficult to get a useful amount of damage out of it because the opponent gets out way too fast. I think that the tornado should suck opponents in, but it should be weak enough that even heavyweights can DI out of it.
The Tornado is still a stupidly good gtfo option. It basically ignores the rules of poke wars and says **** you to all pokes. That hasn't changed, so while it's no longer ridiculously broken, it's just gay.

It also makes no sense that some jab combs (zss, samus, etc.) have such low hitstun that they can be shieldgrabbed. I think that definately needs fixing.
ZSS was already a stupidly good character, and Samus as she is right now in BBrawl is easily a top threat. Problems like a Jab with mediocre reward can be overlooked when you consider everything else that is VERY good about them. ZSS's Jab is 1 frame which is mad useful, and at high percents Samus's Jab makes a very good gtfo option.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Pit: One of the things that make Pit unique is his Wings of Icarius. It allows him to follow an opponent and presents the opportunity for mindgames unavailable to other characters. One thing that limits its use and doesn't make sense is that if Pit cancels it with an attack or gets hit not only is he unable to use it again, but he loses all of the 3 mid-air jumps he hasn't used. Instead of doing things this way, should Pit cancel the move or get hit I think that he should be unable to use WoI again, but not lose the mid-air jumps he hasn't used. I am aware of the fact that touching the ground after initiating WoI gives him his jumps after its use, however I argue that the need to be that close to the ground limits the move's potential too much.
Don't we already have enough problems with him ledge camping? Besides, he does have those three jumps to be off stage...

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
DK: It makes no sense to me that using his neutral B puts him in a fall state. In all of the smash bros. games only recovery moves are supposed to put a character in a fall state. It makes no sense for this move to do so. Out of curiosity, could you explain why you altered the knockback of his down cargo throw?
Yes, I have no idea why this goes into free fall as well as Lucas PK Freeze and Ness PK Pulse

EDIT: Dang, I accidentally double posted...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom