• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ohio Circuit Championship: Delta Upsilon I - December 5th (POOLS POSTED!)

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
It'd have been more worth my while to write successfully for a few years and then teach at a college level with an honorary degree that they give me. It's why we don't have math and science teachers anywhere; when they go to college, they don't get just a degree. They get very specific skills that can be used in the workforce.
See, here is the thing, only a small handful of literally millions of people will be capable of "writing successully" without a degree. I'm not saying because they lack talent, but instead, they lack opportunity. You aren't going to be writing for a major news network/magazine/paper/whatever if you don't have a degree. It is as simple as that. And without such a job...well it is very difficult to get your name out there.

Now, books on the other hand are a different story. Books you don't really need a degree for. Afterall it is a job that pays ZERO money unless you manage to sell your book to a publishing company (I'd assume this is what OS is talking about?).

Also, OS, what exactly have you written? I've always been curious, you got any links? (aside from that website with Melee and Halo stuff, lol).

EDIT: also, no one is going to believe your "skills" if you don't have a degree. Most people won't give you the time of day in a job interview without a degree of some sort.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Now, books on the other hand are a different story. Books you don't really need a degree for. Afterall it is a job that pays ZERO money unless you manage to sell your book to a publishing company (I'd assume this is what OS is talking about?).
You actually lose money if you don't sell though.

That being said, there are other ways to be published without a degree (AKA magazines, newspapers, online sites that pay for good material). However, that's only for a very specific field, and even then, the college courses, even if not the degree itself, help out a lot.

If only they could have taught me to stop procrastinating/being so afraid of rejection so I would actually send something in :(

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I don't write, I teach. I just have an English degree, so I went with writing as an example.

Seriously though; your degree doesn't mean anything except you went through college to get said degree. It doesn't mean you learned anything, and everyone I've ever met has learned more from doing than from sitting in class.

Get the degree so you don't have to work as hard and can just put up a resume somewhere. If you want to actually do anything worthwhile, focus on a skill. Some degrees have you learn a skill (like almost every math and science degree), and some areas require a degree (like education), but for most you actually don't need the degree. Just examples of your work.

Best programmer I ever met dropped out of college to code full time and spent all his waking hours working on his own projects, made a new coding language, and now works for Google.

The only reason getting a college degree could ever be seen as important is for the exact reason people are balking at my blanket statement that school (specifically college is what I was referencing) is not necessary. You don't really get much out of most college degrees.

Seriously, learn a skill. Organize, publicize, and run tournaments to learn how to organize and run events, it'll do you a million times better than a degree in management, public relations, or anything of the sort. Go ahead and get the degree because its the status quo, or get the degree if it is teaching you something you couldn't possibly learn on your own(good luck being a surgeon without school ^_^).

But if you want to run a business? Write? Fix things?

Its the education that is important.

not school

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
OS, I see your point, however, the main problem is that while what you say is correct, the opportunity for getting experience in most fields is usually given to those with a degree, and some, as you said, you can't really learn on your own.

The degree itself just facilitates what you said; opens more doors, if you will.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
OS derails yet another thread with a stupid generalization.

You can't learn that **** in college guyz.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Degrees? Educations? Careers? Who needs em lol homeless ftw.

On a side note I kinda wanna play some doubles anyone need a partner?

clowsui

Smash Legend
TAKOOOO i'd team with you but ss is already my teammate : (

any chance you can come down to cincy and then drive me up? LOOOL

TheKiest

Smash Champion
Known Teams (Seeding Points Coming Soon!)
1. Mr. E & Sole
2. Infern & Smash64
3. Pops & T-800
4. TheKiest & SciDi
5. Steel Samurai & Clowsui
6. Y.b.M. & Lou
7. Blue Rogue & Mew2King
8. King Beef & Beegs

Horse****

That'll be rough

100% confirmed for me, t-800, pops, sole and Hunky (SciDi)

Baro

Smash Journeyman
I will be asking for money matches in naruto even though nobody here plays it. AWW YEAH.

M@v

Subarashii!
I got my eye on this tourney.

Only problem is I'll need to stay overnight somewhere. 4 hour drive is a little bit too long for a one day deal.

My Uncle lives close to Columbus, maybe I can see if I can stay over there. I also haven't seen him in a while, so it would be a nice visit too.

Offtopic:

College is important to get a degree

In college, GPA is important to get your 1st internship

1st internship work experience >GPA for rest of job applications.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Championship Bracket Seeds
1st: Blue Rogue - 100 Points
2nd: AlphaZealot - 54 Points
3rd: Kel - 52 Points
4th: Y.b.M. - 46 Points
5th: King Beef - 18 Points
6th: Infern - 18 Points
7th: Nope - 17 Points
8th: Fonz - 15 Points

Pool Assignments
Pool 1
Suyon (Brecksville) - 8 Points
Quivo (Columbus) - 4 Points
Bead (Cleveland) - 2 Points
Today (Cincinnati) - 0 Points

Pool 2
SneakyTaco (Columbus) - 6 Points
Fizzle (Dayton) - 5 Points
T-800 (Athens) - 2 Points
Kassandra Nova (Cincinnati) - 0 Points

Pool 3
King Yoshi (Cleveland) - 12 Points
Zach (Columbus) - 0 Points
Banhammer (Dayton) - 0 Points
Sai90 (???) - 0 Points

Pool 4
Lou (Springfield) - 12 Points
Baro (Plain City) - 0 Points
SciDi (Worthington) - 0 Points
SteelSamurai (Cincinnati?) - 0 Points

Pool 5
Capem (Springfield) - 11 Points
SoleCaliber (Amherst) - 1 Point
Mac Royale (SW Ohio) - 0 Points

Pool 6
DJ Scribbles (Dayton) - 11 Points
SmashGlov (???) - 3 Points
TheKiest (Worthington) - 0 Points
Paranormalsin (Springfield) - 0 Points

Pool 7
Beegs (North East) - 9 Points
Wakka (Springfield) - 2 Points
Clowsui (Cincinnati) - 0 Points
Pops (Athens) - 0 Points

Pool 8
Smash64 (Cincinnati) - 9 Points
Champ (Springfield) - 6 Points
Mr. E (Lima) - 0 Points
SoulPech (Columbus) - 0 Points

*New players may be added to pools as the need arises.

Doubles Seeds
1. Blue Rogue (109) & Mew2King (96) - 205 Points
2. AlphaZealot (80) & Kel (98) - 178 Points
3. Infern (46) & Smash64 (52) - 98 Points
4. Y.b.M. (48) & Lou (44) - 92 Points
5. King Beef (26) & Beegs (20) - 46 Points
6. TheKiest (6) & SciDi (4) - 10 Points
7. Mr. E (4) & SoleCaliber (4) - 8 Points
8. Pops (0) & T-800 (6) - 6 Points
9. Steel Samurai (0) & Clowsui (0) - 0 Points

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Thanks for the catches! This is why its all done early!

WE ONLY HAVE 7 TV'S AS OF RIGHT NOW! We need more! If you can bring a TV please do!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Unsure if I'm able to go this weekend or not, have to hear back about family stuff. If I did go, what pool would I be in? XD

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
1 Month? This tournament is this upcoming weekend, just 5 days away!

OS: you would likely be preseeded straight into the bracket cause you have a lot of points!

M@v

Subarashii!
1 Month? This tournament is this upcoming weekend, just 5 days away!

OS: you would likely be preseeded straight into the bracket cause you have a lot of points!
lol, whoops. thought it said January 5th xD. shows you how tired i am LOL

Suyon

Smash Lord
Fun. I'm pretty sure I have 8 points. And I don't live in Amherst but who cares since I have no interest in competitive smash.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
WHAT!? No! Dammit Tyr is one of my favorite players. Friggin Lucas pioneer, man. Crap...

Does he have a legit irl reason for quitting or did he decide to just because?

clowsui

Smash Legend
It's better to ask him yourself. Hard to explain...it boils down to the mindset ppl have toward playing this game.

Also, AZ remove Suyon and Tyr and rearrange the pools sometime soon please =)

Top Bottom