• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

Steelia

Smash Champion
If it's the link you sent me before, then those were for trophy data. Some people did try to edit the player data, but it didn't seem they had any luck. I think I may have discovered where the edges are stored, and I'm investigating, oh and this time I'm positive the program will work for you.
Trophies? Blast; I was afraid of that. Well, who knows, perhaps the info could come in handy another time (the trophy data, anyway).

That'd certainly be handy to have it working, if that's the case. Now all I need to worry about is whether or not I can actually utilize the thing effectively... Something tells me I'll be in for some Greek. :p

cubaisdeath

Smash Lord
Do you think there will ever be a time where the brawl characters will be in melee? And some of the brawl ATs too(DACUS, Pivot Grab, Glide Tossing, Momentum Canceling, Gliding, Crawling)?
you can pivot grab and glide toss in melee too, just not the same way. momentum cancel exists in melee as well, it just doesn't save your life all the time lol. you can do an aerial to increase your aerial mobility to a degree as well, so thats pretty similar to momentum cancel

and LOL at DACUS. omg imagine fox with it. that would be hilarious.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
you can pivot grab and glide toss in melee too, just not the same way. momentum cancel exists in melee as well, it just doesn't save your life all the time lol. you can do an aerial to increase your aerial mobility to a degree as well, so thats pretty similar to momentum cancel

and LOL at DACUS. omg imagine fox with it. that would be hilarious.
I knew glide tossing and pivot grabbing was I melee they're just not as useful as they are in brawl. I like how they are in brawl. I didn't know momentum canceling was in melee. And Fox DACUS would be retardedly gay i mean good. If you guys do end up putting brawl techs in melee don't change the melee characters.

Milun

Smash Ace
Now all I need to worry about is whether or not I can actually utilize the thing effectively... Something tells me I'll be in for some Greek. :p
...Not entirely sure what you mean by that, but I can assure you, I'm trying to make it as easy to use as possible.

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
If you look at this, you're a stalker: NorCal
what you should really do is make a mod called "Melee -" and just shift the mechanics to make it more like brawl.

LOL
Do you think there will ever be a time where the brawl characters will be in melee? And some of the brawl ATs too(DACUS, Pivot Grab, Glide Tossing, Momentum Canceling, Gliding, Crawling)?
I'm always in the Brawl section, almost never here, and you know what's interesting, many people in the Brawl section wants to make the game more like Melee, and many people here want to make it more like Brawl.:laugh: You all could learn a lot from each other though. Someone should make a thread dedicated to both Brawl and Melee hacking, that way you could look at each others programs and see if you can do something better. BrawlBox, for example. I'm sure that would be a very useful thing for Melee hacking. Someone could take a look at how it works and perhaps make MeleeBox.

Oh, sweet, lookin' good so far. (Go figure, I can't see what the image is this time, but others can. :laugh: )
For the character exports, I believe Brawl suffers from the same thing; the models all look like a bunch of tripped-out spiders.
I don't think so, I think it used to be that way, but now its fixed.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Melee peoples don't want the physics of brawl at all. We just want the characters. Brawlers want better physics because brawls original physics aren't that good.

But I do agree with the brawl and melee hacking section. That would be useful.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Melee peoples don't want the physics of brawl at all. We just want the characters. Brawlers want better physics because brawls original physics aren't that good.

But I do agree with the brawl and melee hacking section. That would be useful.
That. I left playing Brawl to hack Melee for a reason. If people started turning Melee into Brawl, heck, just go PLAY Brawl. You'd only be missing five fighters and a few stages, and by the way things are rolling Brawl'll likely have all that and THEN some in due time.

But, I digress.
I've only seen a few people request Brawl-related hackings on Melee, and half the time those were just joke requests. If demand is truly high enough, then hey, why not another day. I know I wouldn't mind seeing out how characters like Mewtwo, Young Link, Pichu, Roy and Dr. Mario would fair under those conditions (especially Mewtwo, as Brawl is literally as floaty as he is).
But that, is at the far end of my hacking list. If characters can be created through models, or if we're blessed we can IMPORT, I would love to make some of the fighters featured in Brawl. I still don't know who to put at the top of my list first... Either Ridley or Sonic.
...One can dream. :chuckle:

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I want to see the official brawl characters first. But its up to you. I just wanna see Olimar and Snake in melee. I think they would ****.

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
If you look at this, you're a stalker: NorCal
I've noticed everything about Melee hacking (even simple texture hacking) is extremely complicated, so even if you don't want Brawl physics (or characters even), I think Melee hacking would benefit from studying BrawlBox, Project Smash Attacks, the glitchy model importer that will come out soon, or even older tools such as ASH, STASH, and CUPASH, and seeing how these tools work so that they can perhaps be implemented in Melee hacking. No offense, but Melee hacking is far behind Brawl in ease and in many other aspects, and if you could make some of the tools that Brawl has, Melee hacking would be much easier, quicker, and you could perhaps catch up to Brawl in time. I notice you have many complicated steps for simple texture hacking, while with Brawl all you have to do is run the extract step, edit, and run the compress step. This is why a Brawl/Melee mixed hacking section would be very useful indeed.

`DNS`

Smash Lord
^oh okay, i was also reading something that said the gc laser might not be good enough to read the disks or something.. is that just bullsh-t?

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
If there is nothing wrong with your gamecube then the backups will work as long as your backups are burned on excellent media: Verbatim, TDK, etc... Do not use Memorex.

If you are getting read errors with original games will you will get read errors with backups as well.

Really depends on the current condition of the gamecube.

`DNS`

Smash Lord
HPS files are made up of blocks of sound data. Each block has a header, which points to the next block. If the music looped from the end to the very beginning, the last block would point to the very first block. If the music looped from the end to 7 seconds in, then the last block would point to the block that corresponds to that 7 second mark.

But where do you want it to loop from? If you just want it to loop to the beginning, that's easy. Find the last block of data in the HPS file that's not full of FF's, and change the header from this (0000FFFC 0000FFEF 000100C0 [/B ]00000000) to this (0000FFFC 0000FFEF 0000008000000000) 0x80 is the very first block of data, so if you change the header to point to 0x80, you'll loop to there. Bolded numbers were the changed ones.

If you want to loop from like 6.532 seconds to the end, try to reread the HPS guide. Specifically the part about changing loop points and such. I don't want to reexplain it here. Frankly, I'm probably going to change the entire guide to make it way more readable and understandable, and clear. To tell the truth, I'm not sure that this reply post is even very clear. :p

well i'm trying to find that now but 000100C0 doesn't seem to be in there at all..

also when editing the CSPs, what is the type? the names of the files are 'tex#00_09+2.tga'
i'm guessing they're _09 textures? but idk

Milun

Smash Ace
Well, good news. The program now exports .obj's to Melee hex and vice versa. Also, I've figured out where decimal values are stored, so it's at a better detail. It's still a bit buggy, so I won't release it just yet, but:

The phantom capsule.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Well, good news. The program now exports .obj's to Melee hex and vice versa. Also, I've figured out where decimal values are stored, so it's at a better detail. It's still a bit buggy, so I won't release it just yet, but:

img
The phantom capsule.
Milun, you are full of WIN. Once you release that particular capsule hack, I'll definitely make a fitting Hourglass theme to it. :D

Milun

Smash Ace
MILUN: that is awesome..
i'm guessing you did the capsule because it's relatively simple compared to character models?
Nah, It was more or less my test, and also since I haven't fully figured out how to hack characters yet, I had to do something I was sure of. By the way, it's done:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RUFJXG7J

Sadly, it still has the whole 'Q' business from the other program, but once you learn how to use it, it shouldn't be so hard.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Gonna get to testing it out ASAP, Milun. Here's to hoping my computer doesn't screw me over again, eheh.

Also, I LOL'd at your Copyright notice. :laugh:

someone halp :p
Whoops, sorry about that `DNS`, txt_####_09.tga files are the same as tex#00_09+2.tga files, as your hunch suggested. Just a slightly different name... but you can tell, because of the whole "09" business.

Timic83

Smash Ace
Moorabbin/Hampton East, Melbourne, Australia

`DNS`

Smash Lord
Milun post - Sorry to steal your thunder, but there's already a program for that:

http://www.mediafire.com/?gzy4mtl3z22
Invalid or Deleted File
The key you provided for file download was invalid. This is usually caused because the file is no longer stored on Mediafire. This occurs when the file is removed by the originating user or Mediafire. If you believe you have reached this page in error, please contact support.

:~P

not stealing my thunder at all.. i wanted to make it easier for myself and i kinda suck at programming
i'd <3 if that link wasn't broken

also

If there is nothing wrong with your gamecube then the backups will work as long as your backups are burned on excellent media: Verbatim, TDK, etc... Do not use Memorex.

If you are getting read errors with original games will you will get read errors with backups as well.

Really depends on the current condition of the gamecube.
What's wrong with memorex?

libertyernie

Smash Ace
I found out some things about editing Kirby's indexed eye textures: Guide (.pdf) - updated

If there are less than 32 lines in the .dat, use less than 256 colors in the texture. When you do this with GIMP and convert the resulting .tga to .tpl, there won't be any 00s at the beginning of the palette at 0x20. The image data will then start earlier than 0x260, but more importantly, you won't need Hex Workshop's subtract tool.

I'm working on a combination of C and shell scripts to automate inserting Kirby textures. It's called KirbyTool, and it's almost done. I'm mostly making it so I can use it, but I'll post it here too when I'm finished. It'll be open-source under the MIT License (except for the Cygwin utilities needed for it to run on Windows, which are GPL, and TexConv and the .dat files themselves, which are not.)

To test this, I made a Brown Kirby, inserted into PlKbYe: it's on my KC-MM thread.

EDIT: I found the max colors for the other Kirby textures and updated the .pdf.

Steelia

Smash Champion
I found out some things about editing Kirby's indexed eye textures: Guide (.pdf)

If there are less than 32 lines in the .dat, use less than 256 colors in the texture. When you do this with GIMP and convert the resulting .tga to .tpl, there won't be any 00s at the beginning of the palette at 0x20. The image data will then start earlier than 0x260, but more importantly, you won't need Hex Workshop's subtract tool.

I'm working on a combination of C and shell scripts to automate inserting Kirby textures. It's called KirbyTool, and it's almost done. I'm mostly making it so I can use it, but I'll post it here too when I'm finished. It'll be open-source under the MIT License (except for the Cygwin utilities needed for it to run on Windows, which are GPL, and TexConv and the .dat files themselves, which are not.)

To test this, I made a Brown Kirby, inserted into PlKbYe: it's on my KC-MM thread.
GIMP does that? I've heard a few rumors here and there, but GIMP never worked with ASH (Brawl stuff), so I didn't bother with it... But now, it sounds like a godsend, as does this program you're working on. Good luck with it.
Do you think you can make it compatible with other _8 and _9 textures? Pokemon (and some stages) especially are a PAIN to hex, due to having a lot of + textures. @_@

@Milun, I totally forgot to ask, but for your Hourglass Capsule... where exactly would that go in its file? (I'll assume it's in ItCo.usd / ItCo.dat.) Kind of hard to texhax it when I can't even utilize the model appropriately. :p

Milun

Smash Ace
@Milun, I totally forgot to ask, but for your Hourglass Capsule... where exactly would that go in its file? (I'll assume it's in ItCo.usd / ItCo.dat.) Kind of hard to texhax it when I can't even utilize the model appropriately. :p
Woops. The main reason I didn't specify an offset is because I used a .ukd, which would probably be different to yours. My offset was literally the very first model hex in the file. If you want to find yours, I'd recommend copying a section of the 'Capsule.txt' hex, and Ctrl-F it in your .usd (Sometimes the section you copy from the .txt won't be found, if that happens, just copy a different section).

Steelia

Smash Champion
Ah, I gotcha... I had a feeling I would have to something like that (I wasn't aware you also supplied the original Capsule TXT).
Another thing, with the *.obj -> HEX, I'm using Hex Editor Neo... Whenever I open up the .txt file, the hex from the file is on the right-hand side -- but the side I want to paste that on is on the left-hand side. Am I supposed to be using a different Hex editor for this, or will pasting the hex data on the right also work?

Milun

Smash Ace
...........um, I think I know what you mean (It's not letting you paste in on the left hand side?). Try using the freeware HxD hex editor. I guarantee it works just fine.

Oh, and could you please tell me what the .dat for Mushroom kingdom one is called? Thanks.

Keatsta

Smash Apprentice
doing some _9 texture hacking, when people refer to "line number" for hex editing (i.e. copy everything from line number 260 down), what do they mean by that? is it the offset? I'm using frhed to manipulate it.

Steelia

Smash Champion
...........um, I think I know what you mean (It's not letting you paste in on the left hand side?). Try using the freeware HxD hex editor. I guarantee it works just fine.

Oh, and could you please tell me what the .dat for Mushroom kingdom one is called? Thanks.
Thanks; that program worked wonders. I'll run a test with the capsule tomorrow, hopefully get a texture on it, then see if I can possibly rip a thing or two myself.

Lucky for you, I just got done making something for it -- GrI1.dat (GrEYEONE.dat) is the filename. "I1" stands for Inishei1, or something along those lines. (There are I1 and I2 -- obviously for MK1 and MK2 respectively.)

doing some _9 texture hacking, when people refer to "line number" for hex editing (i.e. copy everything from line number 260 down), what do they mean by that? is it the offset? I'm using frhed to manipulate it.
Yes, I believe that would be called the offset.
Depending on your program of choice, the offset should ALWAYS be listed on the furthermost left-hand side, to the right of it being two columns of hex data. It's what is referred to as line 0x260... It's pretty early on; shouldn't be too hard to spot. :)
Again, each hex editor works differently; I know I use Hex Workshop v6, and the texture line starts on an entirely different line. But normally you are good to go when the offset column starts off with eight zeros -- 00000000 -- and each row beings with hex variables of ten~
000000a0
~
000000f0
etc. etc. etc.

That's how my offset column looks like, anyway.

Keatsta

Smash Apprentice
Yes, I believe that would be called the offset.
Depending on your program of choice, the offset should ALWAYS be listed on the furthermost left-hand side, to the right of it being two columns of hex data. It's what is referred to as line 0x260... It's pretty early on; shouldn't be too hard to spot. :)
Again, each hex editor works differently; I know I use Hex Workshop v6, and the texture line starts on an entirely different line. But normally you are good to go when the offset column starts off with eight zeros -- 00000000 -- and each row beings with hex variables of ten~
000000a0
~
000000f0
etc. etc. etc.

That's how my offset column looks like, anyway.
Right now my righthand column shows the offset, but they aren't multiples of 10. Is it just an issue of resizing the program until they are? If so... I feel like an idiot.

But... I'm checking, and things are adding up now that I've sized it, one row actually corresponds to what it needs to. Thanks, you've brought the Smash community one step closer to a Jigglypuff who has spots like a panda.

edit: something's still screwing up, maybe someone can help me.

I'm manipulating Jigglypuff's eye file. In GIMP (photoshop lags way too much on my computer) I got at the alpha layer and saw there wasn't any transparency. Then I manipulated it and reindexed it, setting it to create the pallet automatically with an upper limit of 256 colours (I wasn't sure about this, but it kinda made sense to me.)

Then I made it to a tpl and everything and opened it and PlPrNr.dat (Jiggylpuff's normal costume) in hex. I used the offsets provided (they've worked fine in the past) and found where the texture was supposed to go (00017ba0). A note in the placements.txt told me that there was a 32 line space for the pallet information, which I figured was cool as the less than 32 line ones seemed much harder.

So I went into the tpl and selected from line 260 to the bottom... which was 13952 (decimal, 3980 hexadecimal) lines. This is where I think I started to go wrong, as going 3980 lines down from the offset I've been given lands me in what I assume is the data for another texture (it's a lot of repeating numbers... I assume it's either pallet information or information for a big block of colour or something). Furthermore, line 260 in my tpl starts with a lot of zeros and there's tons of zeros throughout. I seem to be replacing a lot of non-zeros with zeros, which to me seems like an issue. The only thing that makes me think I may have done the indexing and such of the texture right is that the tpl starts with a nice chunk of 34 lines of data before a big gap of zeros.

Thanks to anyone who can give me a hand understanding any of this.

Keatsta

Smash Apprentice
Oh also, I'm using the tgas and offset positions from Steelia's dumps, thanks very much for those by the way, they've saved huge amounts of time.

Steelia

Smash Champion
o.O
Do you mind posting up the TPL of your Jiggs? I would like to see what's going down... It COULD be a hexing error (putting CI4 instead of CI8 in the .TCS, or something along those lines)... or even some kind of GIMP error. From the Brawl hacker side of things, I've seen plenty-a-problem based on GIMP usage over Photoshop usage, as PS is just the more common choice for texture hacks.
(Also, hate to break it to you, but it's pretty much impossible to give Jiggs spots -- her skin texture, a very small 4 x 4 or something file, is shared with her hands, feet, head curl, and a majority of her body. Just thought I'd point that out now rather later. ): )

~Also, @Milun:

Got it to work. :p
Just a very simple texture hack, to see how it would turn out -- Phantom Hourglass β. Got down nicely. :chuckle:

Keatsta

Smash Apprentice
Sure, I'd be happy for you to take a look at it.

Here's a rar containing my .dat file thus far (with just two changed textures, but they work), the attempt I made to add the eye textures (crashed dolphin when I tried to load Jiggs), the tpl I created and the texture itself as a tga.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BEXQJU8G

And yeah, I realized pretty quick that my initial Pandapuff vision wasn't about to happen. Oh well. I'm settling for changing a few things around her eyes and generally making just something I think is neat to look at. Nothing too complicated; more just to see if I can do it.

Top Bottom