• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why we can't wait to ban Metaknight

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
I'd try a tourney with MK banned, but it probably wouldn't go well because NJ is MK central.
[not so] coincidentally, NJ is one of the best in Brawl. :laugh:

get at that play to win attitude.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
He's the best character, that's the way it's supposed to be.
No its not, the best character shouldn't have ZERO bad matchups, most top characters in other games have at least one or two out of favor match-ups, even if slightly.

The best character in plenty of games are top in multiple categories. MK is no different.
Well, yeah, thats what makes a character best in a game. I would be willing to bet that every character that is top in a game is ranked really high in multiple categories. What makes Metaknight different is that he is ranked 1st in virtually every category.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
There isn't a specific set of criteria. That's what needs to be decided, in my opinion (or at least should have been decided), before the discussion of a ban can truly occur. But saying a character has to be literally unbeatable to warrant a ban is ridiculous. It's obvious that MK can be beaten. That's a fact, it's happened.
It's funny. The ban criteria we're currently using for this game is the same blanket criteria that doesn't properly cover games that eventually die from a character not being "ban-worthy" but is still killing the game.

Wasn't there a MK ban thread up earlier that used Tekken 4's Jin as an example? Maybe SBR should try to set a precedent?

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
No its not, the best character shouldn't have ZERO bad matchups, most top characters in other games have at least one or two out of favor match-ups, even if slightly.
There are also plenty of games where the top character has NO bad match-ups. SF4's Sagat and BlazBlue's Rachel are prime examples. That doesn't make them broken and certainly not ban-worthy.

Well, yeah, thats what makes a character best in a game. I would be willing to bet that every character that is top in a game is ranked really high in multiple categories. What makes Metaknight different is that he is ranked 1st in virtually every category.
No he's not, you're exaggerating. He's a really good character, but he has issues like any other character. If not, then ADHD wouldn't have beaten M2K. Ally wouldn't beat MKs. I definitely wouldn't beat MKs.

If you think he's the best in "virtually every character", then I'm afraid you fall into that category of players that need to learn the match-up.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
What would you say if Sirlin himself said banning MK was a good decision?
I would tell him to eat a ****.

Thanks to everyone, you showed me why BBR should be open to the public.

Because the public is effing ********. I'm done arguing over this not in the BBR, if anyone wants to talk to me, aim/msn me. I advise it to you supermodel. You might get to learn a thing or two.

Guess what supermodel from paris, the metagame doesn't care for anyone but those winning. Scrubs don't matter to the BBR.
<3

I'd try a tourney with MK banned, but it probably wouldn't go well because NJ is MK central.
Yeah, it won't work here. At all.

SF4 Sagat 60/40's almost the whole cast or worse and loses no match-ups.

Guilty Gear's Eddie is just like Sagat with one even match-up in Testament, IIRC.

Melee Fox does not have any bad-matchups.

Nobody whines to ban these characters.

mangojuice

Smash Rookie
If tournament attendance declines, everyone loses. Do what's best for the community.

It really is that simple.

The fact that people need to learn to play, or are too lazy to learn the matchup, or that in reality MK is just really popular, or that there is no valid reason or a set of rules to warrant a ban, or that MK prevents diversity of character usage, or anything you can possibly think of is completely and utterly irrelevant. It could make no sense, but if it is best for the community, make it so.

You don't need frame data or brawl know how to figure this out. It's common sense.

Think of the brawl community as a corporation. You have the top players as the big cheeses - CEO's and Directors. They get paid the big bucks. Then you have peons that do nothing but get their paychecks and just go home happy they were able to make a living (in this case your avg player that gets his tournament fix with hopes of getting better). Now how do the CEO's get the big checks? They need the Peons to do all the grunt work of course. If Peons not happy and quit, the CEO's are also not happy because all of a sudden, the company isn't making money and they don't get their fat checks.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
So, I'm not going to skim through all of these pages. But, here's the question I want to ask:

Do you have tournament data with a more liberal stage list?

IIRC, many stages that were banned/moved to cp removed decent counterpicks/starters against MK. And, IIRC, quite a few of them were done so to limit the potency of Dedede's CG. If MK keeps the number of Dedede players down, why do we not expand the starter and counterpick lists a bit?

Also, I believe Smash 64 Pikachu also has quite the reputation, yet no one wants to swarm over to ban him.

RDK

Smash Hero
Just posting my support of this topic. Overswarm usually has good ideas, seems like.
Except for the whole "banning MK" thing.

Oh and let's try to keep this thread open, folks. Which probably means a little less Inui ****riding.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Suck his **** moar, pl0x.

but iunno, inui gets drunk, punches lions and posts fenix right stuff wenever hes supr creal posting
Ew, no. That's disgusting. Meatriding is better.

On a semi-serious note: The stage list DOES need to be expanded.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
SF4 Sagat 60/40's almost the whole cast or worse and loses no match-ups.

Guilty Gear's Eddie is just like Sagat with one even match-up in Testament, IIRC.

Melee Fox does not have any bad-matchups.
I said most, not all... w/e

You're right about sf4, but Sagat only has to **** 1/3 the characters mk does.

Idk anything about Guilty gear, never liked it. I'll assume you are right.

Don't troll me, you know the differences between fox and MK. Fox is very beatable, since melee relies more on skill rather than character choice (much moreso than brawl). Foxes weren't even top 5 at genesis or P4 (from what I recall). Melee match-ups are outdated too.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I said most, not all... w/e

You're right about sf4, but Sagat only has to **** 1/3 the characters mk does.

Idk anything about Guilty gear, never liked it. I'll assume you are right.

Don't troll me, you know the differences between fox and MK. Fox is very beatable, since melee relies more on skill rather than character choice (much moreso than brawl). Foxes weren't even top 5 at genesis or P4 (from what I recall). Melee match-ups are outdated too.
You lost a ton of credibility with this post. I'll let you figure out why.

Delvro

Smash Ace
The tournament attendance portion of your argument was one that I am glad to see and is an argument that I use often. I've personally seen someone quit the tournament scene because of MK and MK alone (Exile). Plain and simple, the game stops being fun.

You can argue technicalities and match-ups and "magical MK counters" all you want, but the truth is that MK's existence makes the game less fun and makes people quit.

And while we're on the topic of SF4, last time I checked (which I admit was some time ago), Sagat, Ryu, and Gouken were all top-tier characters with no matchups worse than 50-50. That I'm fine with. =\

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Suck his **** moar, pl0x.

but iunno, inui gets drunk, punches lions and posts fenix right stuff wenever hes supr creal posting
joke all you want, he's absolutely correct.
in other games, the top tier characters have few, if any, bad matchups.
Sagat in SF4 and ST (O.Sagat in ST, obviously).
Kage in nearly every Virtua Fighter.
Fox in Melee.
Pikachu in Smash64
Yun or Chun in 3s (debatable about who's the best, but overall win against everyone)
Mag-f*cking-Neto, Sentinel, Storm, and Cable in MvC2
GWM in MvC1
Wolverine in any other vs. series game
etc.

but there's a difference between those game and this game. And no, it's not the difference between being a standard fighting game and a different fighting game.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Everyone saying "fox in melee" loses credibility in my eyes. He neither dominates nor is broken.

You lost a ton of credibility with this post. I'll let you figure out why.
Not liking guilty gear? Responding to Inui? Whatever. If I lost credibility due to either of those, I give up with you people.

Oh well, I like playing melee more anyways. Good luck, brawl.

salaboB

Smash Champion
The problem with saying "We have no ban criteria" is that no character has been damaging enough to the game (ie, one of the Smash games) to ever need a ban before. So we have to work at it from the other side:

When a character is too damaging to the game to be left unbanned, their attributes become the basis for ban criteria.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
@Cheap Peach: You compared skill and character choice from Melee to Brawl. True as that may(probably) be, it's irrelevant when it comes to banning a character.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Everyone saying "fox in melee" loses credibility in my eyes. He neither dominates nor is broken.
Actually I DO agree with you here. Theoretically Melee Fox might have no bad matchups, but practically it seems not to be the case.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Comparing Brawl to other fighting games isn't really a good counter argument to MK's dominance... In o0ther fighting games you're required to get in, combo, then knock em back to deal damage (about 3-5 decent combos would finish the game), making the top characters able to be punished to a VERY good degree if they fall for the opponent's traps. In Brawl, we have to hit a couple of almost-no-combos-in-Brawl hits here and there, get MK to 130-160% (his momentum cancel) and hit him with a strong move, then repeat 2 more times to FINISH ONE MATCH. That's a WHOLE buttload of more effort than any other fighting game, INCLUDING Melee since Melee is closer to an actual fighting game than Brawl!

MK might not look like much when compared to other characters like SF2 Akuma (in a quicker-matched combo-happy game), Garchomp (in a 1/2/3-hit-kill game practically), Sagat (same as SF2 Akuma), Magneto/Storm/Sentinel/Cable (the majority of their community was against the ban back then), Fox (in a WAY faster-to-finish and punishment-more-effective game [where's the Brawl equivalent of uthrow/utilt>rest?])... But in a game where the objectives take that much longer to accomplish, the opponents that much harder to punish and the goals that much harder to reach, the problems that an even harder-to-punish character who's leagues above every other character might create are greatly magnified... You COULD punish that Sagat by playing some quick footsies and making him kick the air 2-3 tiems to end a match... But how many times do you have to outplay an MK in a single match to take out his 3 stocks, in a game where punishment isn't even remotely similar to the other mentioned games?

Think about it...
I bolded it cuz it makes me feel pretty :nerd:

And no matter the plea of the people, no one is going to come up with an universally agreed-upon criteria for banning anything in Brawl until some final, permanent decision that won't be changed whatsoever is given to MK. Most of the people agreeing/disagreeing with the suggested criterias will be too biased due to their positions in the whole "MK" debate, trying to manipulate the criteria to fit their positions.

J4pu

Smash Champion
joke all you want, he's absolutely correct.
in other games, the top tier characters have few, if any, bad matchups.
Sagat in SF4 and ST (O.Sagat in ST, obviously).
Kage in nearly every Virtua Fighter.
Fox in Melee.
Pikachu in Smash64
Yun or Chun in 3s (debatable about who's the best, but overall win against everyone)
Mag-f*cking-Neto, Sentinel, Storm, and Cable in MvC2
GWM in MvC1
Wolverine in any other vs. series game
etc.

but there's a difference between those game and this game. And no, it's not the difference between being a standard fighting game and a different fighting game.
I took the liberty of making your point more applicable by crossing out the games where you listed more than 1 top character

Comparing Brawl to other fighting games isn't really a good counter argument to MK's dominance... In o0ther fighting games you're required to get in, combo, then knock em back to deal damage (about 3-5 decent combos would finish the game), making the top characters able to be punished to a VERY good degree if they fall for the opponent's traps. In Brawl, we have to hit a couple of almost-no-combos-in-Brawl hits here and there, get MK to 130-160% (his momentum cancel) and hit him with a strong move, then repeat 2 more times to FINISH ONE MATCH. That's a WHOLE buttload of more effort than any other fighting game, INCLUDING Melee since Melee is closer to an actual fighting game than Brawl!

MK might not look like much when compared to other characters like SF2 Akuma (in a quicker-matched combo-happy game), Garchomp (in a 1/2/3-hit-kill game practically), Sagat (same as SF2 Akuma), Magneto/Storm/Sentinel/Cable (the majority of their community was against the ban back then), Fox (in a WAY faster-to-finish and punishment-more-effective game [where's the Brawl equivalent of uthrow/utilt>rest?])... But in a game where the objectives take that much longer to accomplish, the opponents that much harder to punish and the goals that much harder to reach, the problems that an even harder-to-punish character who's leagues above every other character might create are greatly magnified... You COULD punish that Sagat by playing some quick footsies and making him kick the air 2-3 tiems to end a match... But how many times do you have to outplay an MK in a single match to take out his 3 stocks, in a game where punishment isn't even remotely similar to the other mentioned games?

Think about it...
I bolded it cuz it makes me feel pretty :nerd:

And no matter the plea of the people, no one is going to come up with an universally agreed-upon criteria for banning anything in Brawl until some final, permanent decision that won't be changed whatsoever is given to MK. Most of the people agreeing/disagreeing with the suggested criterias will be too biased due to their positions in the whole "MK" debate, trying to manipulate the criteria to fit their positions.
It sounds like you think this is pro-ban material, but if people show that these top-tier characters are more dominant than MK when it takes so much more to beat MK then it only shows he is less "broken" than we were thinking.

I am pro-ban btw

theunabletable

Smash Lord
But how many times do you have to outplay an MK in a single match to take out his 3 stocks, in a game where punishment isn't even remotely similar to the other mentioned games?
3 times.

In the case of ICs anyway :p

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
Funny how I was just listening to the SBR Podcast on Metaknight a moment ago. Coincidences bring laughs but Metaknight doesn't. Excellent points all around, Overswarm.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
There should be a symbol beneath your avatar to tell whether you're pro or anti-ban. That way I can properly judge people before reading their posts.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
3 times.

In the case of ICs anyway :p
Oh come on, man, you know what I mean. D:

How many times do you have to outplay (and punish) an MK (in the middle of a fight for one of his stocks), during a 3-stock match (compared to a single health bar match for the other games/heavier-punishment-faceted gameplay of Melee)?

_Keno_

Smash Lord
@Cheap Peach: You compared skill and character choice from Melee to Brawl. True as that may(probably) be, it's irrelevant when it comes to banning a character.
Skill vs Character choice isn't totally irrelevant, especially not as irrelevant as comparing brawl to a non-smash game. All other fighting games lack elements that the smash series has (of course they also have elements that smash doesn't). Like every fighting game is based on either KO-ing through damage or ring-ing out opponents (soul-cal style ring outs). Melee and brawl are purely ring outs (a quite different type of ring out). Edge-guarding, recovery, gimping (some of the main reasons metaknight ***** ) aren't in other games, and therefore can not be compared to brawl.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
There should be a symbol beneath your avatar to tell whether you're pro or anti-ban. That way I can properly judge people before reading their posts.
So what if you're neutral, but slightly leaning towards pro-ban, but you're not completely sure because you condone scrubiness?

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Actually I DO agree with you here. Theoretically Melee Fox might have no bad matchups, but practically it seems not to be the case.
Ah, thanks =)

Ugh, why do you even post here? Trolls are such vile creatures.

If mk is broken then why does he go 6-4 with almost half the cast?
MK being broken isn't the main pro-ban argument, I'm pretty sure of this at least.

salaboB

Smash Champion

How many times do you have to outplay (and punish) an MK (in the middle of a fight for one of his stocks), during a 3-stock match (compared to a single health bar match for the other games/heavier-punishment-faceted gameplay of Melee)?
This has always been my problem with the current MU ratios.

A 55:45 MU ratio doesn't ever sound like (in practice) winning 55% or so of the time -- or even "slightly" easier victory. It sounds like that applies to every encounter during the match, and over the course of the match (Since Brawl matches are made up of so many little encounters that you often disengage fully between) the actual results tip farther and farther towards the advantaged side.

Maybe it's just me...

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
It sounds like you think this is pro-ban material, but if people show that these top-tier characters are more dominant than MK when it takes so much more to beat MK then it only shows he is less "broken" than we were thinking.

I am pro-ban btw
I wasn't trying to add onto the pro-ban material, I just want people to stop comparing totally different games as if it actually mattered... Not add some new theoretical info.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
I was joking... that's why I added the ":p"
How many times do you have to outplay (and punish) an MK (in the middle of a fight for one of his stocks), during a 3-stock match (compared to a single health bar match for the other games/heavier-punishment gameplay of Melee)?
That's actually a fair point (or sounds like it anyways... my knowledge on other competetive games that aren't Melee/Brawl is rather pitiful).

But it's happened, so it's not like it's impossible or anything. Which is what, imo, matters.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
So what if you're neutral, but slightly leaning towards pro-ban, but you're not completely sure because you condone scrubiness?
I dunno. A picture of the pillsbury doughboy signifying "Close but no cookie"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom