• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why we can't wait to ban Metaknight

Status
Not open for further replies.

hahafunny

Smash Rookie
This is the one topic that has motivated me enough to post. I've been lurking for a while and I have to say pro-ban arguments are solid. I'm not a pro smasher, but I'm an engineer. In engineering numbers are king. Quantitative observations trump anecdotal evidence. Overswarm has presented data. It shows that Metaknight is dominant. It also shows a trend, Metaknight mains are growing in number. Data also shows that Metaknights are taking more and more of the top spots. It's hard to not call this overcentralized.

Reading Omni's reply on page three shows contradictions. He says that Overswarm has an agenda to distort the metagame the way he wants it to. That Overswarm is appealing with emotional arguments. It's hard to take that argument seriously considering you clearly have a personal dislike for Overswarm, and that you are just trying to protect your main. Omni tries to discredit the data presented, without presenting any numbers to back his own arguments. Simply saying "data is inconclusive" is not a conclusive argument.

Now back to Metaknight. My personal opinion is that a Metaknight ban can only help Brawl. Fact is, tournament attendance is dropping. The status quo is not working. The game is slowly dying. If your hot air balloon is sinking, why not throw the giant elephant overboard. There is a clear disdain for Metaknight, anyone who has read the forums knows that. The Metaknight debate has gone on for over a year; a ban cannot be called a knee jerk reaction.

Now for my bit of contradiction. I will now present some anecdotal evidence to show overcentralization. Ally plays Metaknight now. Pretty much everyone knows this. A year or so ago, everyone believed Ally to be the MK slayer. That he would miraculously halt Metaknights dominance. Now he is one of them. Metaknight is so good that he can even entice the best player of the second best character to switch over. Ally's reasons to switch probably weren't just so he could win with less effort. But imagine if your an average player in the tournament scene and you want to get better, no matter what. That shiny Metaknight over there is gonna start looking awfully enticing. This is happening. More and more players are switching to Metaknight. It's killing diversity and interest in the game. A ban is the only thing that can stop this behaviour.

Now an emotional argument. Could you imagine the tournament landscape if there weren't a flood of Metaknight's. We could actually be talking about other people other than M2K, other Metaknight mains, and the two other players that can actually beat them. We could actually watch matches that grasp our attention, rather than just gritting our teeth, hoping Metaknight doesn't time out his victim again. I don't see Mike Haze, Boss, Chudat or Lain timing out people with their respective mains(If I'm ignorant about this please tell me).

Many players don't play Metaknight because they like him. He's just the necessary evil that they must employ to achieve success. Much like steroids, he gives an advantage, but he is also detrimental to the game. People must realize that a ban isn't a terrible thing. It doesn't mean that the game is horrendous. It just means that there is an aspect of the game that needs correcting.

Those are my thoughts on the issue. I've read 25 pages worth of posts, and this is my take on the issue. Pick it apart. Blast tiny grammar mistakes because you can't find anything else wrong with it. Talk about me being a hypocrite. Argue semantics. Take it for what it's worth...not much. Hell it's my first post, what could I possibly know?

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
If Metaknight were to offically be banned for good, then you would see a wide variety of different characters being played at a tournament that you rarely would see. The tier list, however would drastically change because some characters couldn't place high enough to even place top 8 thanks to Metaknight.

Hopefully, Metaknight will be banished and will never see the night and day of him ever again!

theunabletable

Smash Lord
01 Mago (Sa) 555.033
Do people with two sylables "m", "a", "g", and "o" in their name like automatically **** or something?

19... more than MK...

Yet Sagat takes the first place...

Ban Sagat?
:p

EDIT: Ninja'd by Omni... Again...

**** it

Mecakoto

Smash Journeyman
If Metaknight were to offically be banned for good, then you would see a wide variety of different characters being played at a tournament that you rarely would see. The tier list, however would drastically change because some characters couldn't place high enough to even place top 8 thanks to Metaknight.

Hopefully, Metaknight will be banished and will never see the night and day of him ever again!
We'd see more Marth and Olimar. Other then that, Snake, D3, Diddy, Wario, and Falco will fill those voids. Not a wide variety.

It isn't like the Mid Tiers will see more light then they are now.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Ah now here's something you can stand behind, numbers and charts.
i want to sig this for some reason i find this statement to be funny idky.

Anyway the op has some good points and data and i for one don't see the harm in a temp ban to see how it effects the tourney scene

also for full dis closer i am pro ban and i mean ban forever i just think a temp ban to see how things work out is a good idea which i see no harm in implementing.

edit: for the people comparing sagat to MK fail not just has that game not been out as long so the sgat dominance could change in the future but super street fighter 4 is being made to readjust the game so there is no point in banning.

Mecakoto

Smash Journeyman

Anyway the op has some good points and data and i for one don't see the harm in a temp ban to see how it effects the tourney scene

also for full dis closer i am pro ban and i mean ban forever i just think a temp ban to see how things work out is a good idea which i see no harm in implementing.

edit: for the people comparing sagat to MK fail not just has that game not been out as long so the sgat dominance could change in the future but super street fighter 4 is being made to readjust the game so there is no point in banning.
A temp ban... It says, "We don't really know what to do, so were going to see what happens and go from there."

Take that however you wish. Either way, I have something new to say about the Smash Brawl community if it goes through.

As for your edit: Sagat will never be banned because it is Street Figher 4. And he is Sagat.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
If you host a local MK banned tournament I'll support it as long as I'm able to make it there. One less annoying character to worry about. And enough people seem to be supporting it now that it might be worth experimenting more with.

solecalibur

Smash Master
As for your edit: Sagat will never be banned because it is Street Figher 4. And he is Sagat.
Super street fighter IV is coming out soon the people that develop SF4 care about there competitive scene Sagat is probly gonna get nerfed (try playing/watching SF1 vs Sagat lol)

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
A temp ban... It says, "We don't really know what to do, so were going to see what happens and go from there."

Take that however you wish. Either way, I have something new to say about the Smash Brawl community if it goes through.

i have no idea how to take that, but it sounds good its like taking a step back to see the whole picture.

i was not saying sagat should be banned i as saying it does not matter how he is doing b/c ssf4 is going to balance the game some (at least that is what capcom says. Also from what i have heard,read,seen in the sf community they feel that sf4 is a very balanced game even counting sagat while this community is very split b/c of MK

h!tboxexplo!ter

Smash Ace

good god man punctuation plz.

so if you guys do ban mk.... isnt that like a big f#@$ you to all the mk mains? if attendance is going down... im no engineer but i can tell you that banning a character with 30-50% prevalence will probly decrease attendance at least another 20%

§leepy God

Smash Master
I wonder how many MK mains would like a ban...

I don't play as MK to those who are wondering, if any.
I would say at least thirty percent of the Meta Knight mains would want him banned. It could be more but I wouldn't got more than forty percent of the Meta Knight mains.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
good god man punctuation plz.

so if you guys do ban mk.... isnt that like a big f#@$ you to all the mk mains? if attendance is going down... im no engineer but i can tell you that banning a character with 30-50% prevalence will probly decrease attendance at least another 20%
? this from someone who has almost as may symbols as he does letters. Also i had some punctuation and split my post up into smaller readable segments to idk what your problem is with reading it.

Also this possible drop in attendance is why i am saying a temp ban to see if this happens,

Mecakoto

Smash Journeyman
Super street fighter IV is coming out soon the people that develop SF4 care about there competitive scene Sagat is probly gonna get nerfed (try playing/watching SF1 vs Sagat lol)
I have watched him in SF1 and even played him in it in my youth. =p

I'm also aware that the developers of SF4 care about balance. I'm not saying Sagat should be. I was merely making a joke in regards to Sagat being so Bad *** that he will never be banned even if he was like Akuma. (you know which Street Fighter version of Akuma I'm talking about)

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
I have watched him in SF1 and even played him in it in my youth. =p
. . . .
sf1 only had 2 playable characters.
neither were sagat.

funfact: Seth almost got banned. Well, not almost.

Black Marf

Smash Apprentice
We'd see more Marth and Olimar. Other then that, Snake, D3, Diddy, Wario, and Falco will fill those voids. Not a wide variety.

It isn't like the Mid Tiers will see more light then they are now.
They should. Or more accurately, they should be able to rank slightly higher.

The main problem seems to be that MK is the answer to everything. He beats every character (especially the mid tiers), and is very common. It's quite likely to run into him in a tournament, and it's more likely than not that you will lose.

However, random mid tiers have advantages on some high tiers. They would come across those high tiers more often, and more often than not win.

Man, this is reminding me of biology. MK is a keystone predator, and his removal would change a lot.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
They should. Or more accurately, they should be able to rank slightly higher.

The main problem seems to be that MK is the answer to everything. He beats every character (especially the mid tiers), and is very common. It's quite likely to run into him in a tournament, and it's more likely than not that you will lose.

However, random mid tiers have advantages on some high tiers. They would come across those high tiers more often, and more often than not win.

Man, this is reminding me of biology. MK is a keystone predator, and his removal would change a lot.
Scrubby mentality is scrubby. You already lost your matches against the next 3 MetaKnights you fight with an attitude like that.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
im hearing a lot of things about sf4 that are very wrong

fyi, i'm deeply involved in the community and i'll destroy you all with my Rufus. corrections

1.) seth isn't banned in the US. he was kneejerked ban by a few locals but nothing at a regional or national
2.) some guy said Gouken was on the same level as Sagat and Ryu, lol, NO
3.) ssf4 isn't being made to balance sf4, but just to make additions (characters, internet play, etc.) there will be a few nerfs and buffs but it's already been discussed that it wont be anything dramatically different except for added ultras and certain characters having an extra or altered combo moveset

solecalibur

Smash Master
im hearing a lot of things about sf4 that are very wrong

fyi, i'm deeply involved in the community and i'll destroy you all with my Rufus. corrections

1.) seth isn't banned in the US. he was kneejerked ban by a few locals but nothing at a regional or national
2.) some guy said Gouken was on the same level as Sagat and Ryu, lol, NO
3.) ssf4 isn't being made to balance sf4, but just to make additions (characters, internet play, etc.) there will be a few nerfs and buffs but it's already been discussed that it wont be anything dramatically different except for added ultras and certain characters having an extra or altered combo moveset
If SSF4 isn't being made for balance then why are there nerfs and buffs?
Call me out if Im wrong since Im not into SF (And we shouldnt be getting off topic)

Black Marf

Smash Apprentice
Scrubby mentality is scrubby. You already lost your matches against the next 3 MetaKnights you fight with an attitude like that.
I'm going by statistics. Statistics aren't hard to understand. MK has an advantageous matchup on almost every single character, if not every single one. Therefore, on average, throughout tournaments throughout the country, MK will win more matches than he will lose. I'm not making excuses for anybody who loses to them, not even myself, it's just how things will work out.

The point of that post was to outline how MK is a keystone predator. Anyone who's dealt with ecosystems should know what one is, and should therefore realize that Mecakoto's claim that "It isn't like the Mid Tiers will see more light then they are now." is bull****.

Whether that matters or not is up to each individual person. Do you care about diversity or conservation of the natural competitive environment?

Mecakoto

Smash Journeyman
By the definition, that isn't scrub mentality. That is just a poor mindset.

Sorry, but I'm a bit of a "must post a correction to this" when it comes to the misuse of the term "scrub" in a gaming community. =p

The point of that post was to outline how MK is a keystone predator. Anyone who's dealt with ecosystems should know what one is, and should therefore realize that Mecakoto's claim that "It isn't like the Mid Tiers will see more light then they are now." is bull****.
This is a fighting game. Not an Ecosystem. Your analogy is flawed.

Mid tiers won't see much more action then they are now because they are outed by more then just Meta. They can take on a few of the top tiers, but lose to most of the rest.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Omni, i'm guessing you're using the Japanese rankings, because they are considered the best region in the world and the arcade statistics allows a means of ranking?

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
there's only going to be a few nerfs and buffs.

justin told us that sagat is still sagat. his damage multiplier on his ultra supposedly is going to stay the same. justin is also a beta tester so i kinda take his word for it

like a known buff is Ken getting an added target combo. suppose to be more useful.
seth is also going to get a much more wider move set. oh god.

and then basically the ultras giving to old characters are good examples of buffs. for example, chun li is getting her super kikouken which is suppose to juggle into anything just like rufus's ultra. gonna make her gdlk. thats just one example

i believe a known nerf is going to be Zangief's 360. i believe the damage is going to stay the same but its effect on how it lands on people's hurt boxes may change

ssf4 is just being made to add a ****load of ****.

@turbo: yea. thats why mago is #1 and daigo is #2. those are the current rankings as of the 24th of January

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
they gave Sagat his Tiger Charge.

lol

rumor has it that it has invincibility frames. Oh goodie. :D

Black Marf

Smash Apprentice
This is a fighting game. Not an Ecosystem. Your analogy is flawed.

Mid tiers won't see much more action then they are now because they are outed by more then just Meta. They can take on a few of the top tiers, but lose to most of the rest.
It is an ecosystem. It's a bunch of organisms attempting to outcompete eachother over time. Ignore the fact that there's virtually no teamwork or parasitic processes going on, and it's basically an ecosystem.*

I did not dispute that other high tiers wouldn't take out the mid tiers, or even say that the mid tiers would become very common. It's just statistically more likely that the mid tiers will come across an advantageous matchup, and therefore statistically more likely that they will win. Therefore, they are going to place higher overall.

Let's take pikachu as an example. Pikachu is a counter for some of the high tiers, but loses to MK. If MK is removed from the metagame, it is more likely that pikachu will come across an advantageous matchup. By extension, it is statistically more likely that pikachu will win that match in a tournament. Thus pikachu will place higher, and thus be represented better. The better representation should lead to a slight increase in pikachu users.

I'm not saying that pikachu will be the new MK. He won't even show up close to as often as Snake, Falco, or Marth would. But his numbers would increase.

*Hell, MK's dominance of the metagame could basically be simulated using software related to ecosystems. The fact that MK and the characters he least kicked the *** of became more represented in tournaments is basically what occurs when you introduce a keystone species to a system.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Ah man...this whole thing has been blown out of proportion. Can't we all just get along? :(

Edit: Well, uh, apparently some of the data being presented is skewed and, uh, not entirely accurate. Thoughts on this, OS?

Mecakoto

Smash Journeyman
It is an ecosystem. It's a bunch of organisms attempting to outcompete eachother over time. Ignore the fact that there's virtually no teamwork or parasitic processes going on, and it's basically an ecosystem.*

I did not dispute that other high tiers wouldn't take out the mid tiers, or even say that the mid tiers would become very common. It's just statistically more likely that the mid tiers will come across an advantageous matchup, and therefore statistically more likely that they will win. Therefore, they are going to place higher overall.

Let's take pikachu as an example. Pikachu is a counter for some of the high tiers, but loses to MK. If MK is removed from the metagame, it is more likely that pikachu will come across an advantageous matchup. By extension, it is statistically more likely that pikachu will win that match in a tournament. Thus pikachu will place higher, and thus be represented better. The better representation should lead to a slight increase in pikachu users.

I'm not saying that pikachu will be the new MK. He won't even show up close to as often as Snake, Falco, or Marth would. But his numbers would increase.

*Hell, MK's dominance of the metagame could basically be simulated using software related to ecosystems. The fact that MK and the characters he least kicked the *** of became more represented in tournaments is basically what occurs when you introduce a keystone species to a system.
I see how your analogy works now, and apologize for that part of my post, but I'm looking at the issue from the angle of what character will win the tournament/series/what have you. What I'm saying is that Mid Tiers will not see much more of the top 8 spots as they are now, but they will see a bit more.

And on the last part of your post: If I was going to give you advice, I would tell you not to do that because that type of data is hard to argue against. Of course, I'm not giving you any advice even if it would satisfy my curiosity.

solecalibur

Smash Master
Ah man...this whole thing has been blown out of proportion. Can't we all just get along? :(

Edit: Well, uh, apparently some of the data being presented is skewed and, uh, not entirely accurate. Thoughts on this, OS?
1. There is a possibility of 3 outcomes from this
SBR stays neutral MK wins
SBR tells us to shutup MK wins
They nerf/ban MK Mk loses

2. How do you know its skewed?

Mecakoto

Smash Journeyman
These debates have been going on forever. I'd say just ban him just to get people to stop whining about it, regardless of whether he's ban-worthy or not.
Let's apply this logic to other things!

No more Taxes!
No more Speed Limits!
No more Parking Tickets!
No more Government!

Ya. Let's do that.

Black Marf

Smash Apprentice
I see how your analogy works now, and apologize for that part of my post, but I'm looking at the issue from the angle of what character will win the tournament/series/what have you. What I'm saying is that Mid Tiers will not see much more of the top 8 spots as they are now, but they will see a bit more.
Well yeah. But when people ask for a bit more diversity in the metagame, what I described is all they're talking about or wishing for.
And on the last part of your post: If I was going to give you advice, I would tell you not to do that because that type of data is hard to argue against. Of course, I'm not giving you any advice even if it would satisfy my curiosity.
I'm a bit too lazy to do it, but it should be possible.

And it should be relatively easy to argue against. All you have to do is point out that diversity in the game isn't as important as keeping the game relatively intact, for a variety of reasons (basically what the smart anti-banners are arguing).
DDRMocha said:
These debates have been going on forever. I'd say just ban him just to get people to stop whining about it, regardless of whether he's ban-worthy or not.
These debates have been going on forever, but part of the reason is that many of the arguments in the past have been time dependent. Anti-banners used to argue that something will be discovered that beats MK, and that hasn't happened.* Pro-banners argued that the game would begin to centralize more around MK, and that happened. Time has shifted the results in favor of the pro-banners side, which has revived their vigor. They basically feel that the evidence is strong enough in their favor and that their predictive models are correct enough, so that the SBR should rule in their favor.

*unless Diddies begin to kick some serious ***

BarDulL

Town Vampire
1. There is a possibility of 3 outcomes from this
SBR stays neutral MK wins
SBR tells us to shutup MK wins
They nerf/ban MK Mk loses

2. How do you know its skewed?
Ah...firstly, these results are based on only 150+ attendee tournaments...granted, those are the most important tournaments to take note of, but I wonder what all of these charts would look like if the data included...100+ attendee tournaments? Well, actually, that's something I just came up with, and that's not the reason why I said the data may be skewed, but I digress!

Ok, according to OMNImon and a certain individual who knows his stuff, OS missed out on a few tournaments. But, I for one can't say that would make a huge difference, so I was wondering how he felt about it, and perhaps he can shed some light on this, uh, accusation.

Mecakoto

Smash Journeyman
And it should be relatively easy to argue against. All you have to do is point out that diversity in the game isn't as important as keeping the game relatively intact, for a variety of reasons (basically what the smart anti-banners are arguing).
If it were me, I'd bring up the whole longevity point. A counter point will be made to it. Eventually we'll get back to the initial statement and begin everything again, but this time the Longevity point will be replaced with something else... Continue Loop segment until death.

That is what I mean by "it's hard to argue against" because everything ends up at the beginning again with no real progress made. I'm decent at arguing and can stop some loops, but this is the Internet and my stopping of progressive loops requires me to keep a topic consistent. And since this is an internet forum... ya.

solecalibur

Smash Master
Ah...firstly, these results are based on only 150+ attendee tournaments...granted, those are the most important tournaments to take note of, but I wonder what all of these charts would look like if the data included...100+ attendee tournaments? Well, actually, that's something I just came up with, and that's not the reason why I said the data may be skewed, but I digress!

Ok, according to OMNImon and a certain individual who knows his stuff, OS missed out on a few tournaments. But, I for one can't say that would make a huge difference, so I was wondering how he felt about it, and perhaps he can shed some light on this, uh, accusation.
I suppose I can not prove that is true or not be sure to message OS and see if he can get back to this post (not looking through the other pages to lazy) and I think tounrys with 15+ people would have about the same rates probly (depends on region of course)

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
I think it's interesting atleast to think over what would happen if MK was banned, as far as character representation wise. Who would it benefit, hurt? (keep in mind im talking top high and top of mid tier characters here as they would be the ones competing for viability in the new environment)

The big winners IMO:
Olimar: MK is by far his worst MU, and has been the thing holding him back. With DDD most likely becoming more popular w/o MK, and Snake probably staying popular as the second best character, olimar will be a huge force to reckon with

DDD: MK is considered one of his bad matchups, and with him gone DDD will actually be able to return to his old role of snake counter

Marth: MK is considered a pretty bad matchup for him. However, DDD and ROBs probable gains in rep make his other bad matchup more prominent

ICs: MKs ability to avoid them and gay them like no one else will no longer be an issue. With snake counters being more prevalent, ICs will have a much easier time

Peach: With her worst matchup gone, as well as the probable increase of olimar's popularity, whom she does well against, she will have a much easier time

ROB: with MK gone the one thing that has largely held him back is gone

ZSS: Because of more common ICs taking out falcos, she will have an easier time

Losers:

Snake: Both of his worst matchups will become a greater threat, while the solid MK matchup wont matter

Diddy: While he wouldn't take a big hit, he loses the MK matchup hype, and two of his bad matchups (luigi and peach) become more viable. He would probably still move up though as most people are predicting now, just not as dramatically

Falco: More prominent ICs are bad news for him

Wario: Slight loss because MK gone is good for him, but increases in DDD and Marth isn't

Neutral:

Toon Link/Pit/pika: Very similar characters in this regard, they will benefit from MK gone but the increase in Marths would curb the benefit.

Lucario: MK is one of his bad matchups, DDD is the other one

GaW: MK is one of his worst matchups, but Marth Diddy Snake will stay high enough to make it not as significant

Kirby: MK is one of his worst matchups, but Olimar, ICs, and Marth rising will hurt him just as bad

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Hmm, you know, this data would be unquestionable if EVERY tournament was taken into consideration, but...well, it doesn't. ALTHOUGH! These tournaments represent competitive brawl at its highest level, being that they're primarily made up of nationals, so that's something to take into consideration too...

Bah, too many intricacies!

Black Marf

Smash Apprentice
Match up stuff
So ranks #2, #3, #4, and #5 on the current tier list have things harder for them, and everyone else benefits or is neutral?

Sounds like a large scale balancing act.

It's also worth noting that MK is Marth's only real bad matchup, and he kills most of the cast. Basically, Marth would (to a certain extent) take over MK's niche.
BarDulL said:
Hmm, you know, this data would be unquestionable if EVERY tournament was taken into consideration, but...well, it doesn't. ALTHOUGH! These tournaments represent competitive brawl at its highest level, being that they're primarily made up of nationals, so that's something to take into consideration too...
Are we sure that there weren't major tournaments missed earlier on as well? I have a feeling that recent tournaments weren't the only ones not recorded. If so, the decline would theoretically look just about the same.

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
This is the one topic that has motivated me enough to post. I've been lurking for a while and I have to say pro-ban arguments are solid. I'm not a pro smasher, but I'm an engineer. In engineering numbers are king. Quantitative observations trump anecdotal evidence. Overswarm has presented data. It shows that Metaknight is dominant. It also shows a trend, Metaknight mains are growing in number. Data also shows that Metaknights are taking more and more of the top spots. It's hard to not call this overcentralized.

Reading Omni's reply on page three shows contradictions. He says that Overswarm has an agenda to distort the metagame the way he wants it to. That Overswarm is appealing with emotional arguments. It's hard to take that argument seriously considering you clearly have a personal dislike for Overswarm, and that you are just trying to protect your main. Omni tries to discredit the data presented, without presenting any numbers to back his own arguments. Simply saying "data is inconclusive" is not a conclusive argument.

Now back to Metaknight. My personal opinion is that a Metaknight ban can only help Brawl. Fact is, tournament attendance is dropping. The status quo is not working. The game is slowly dying. If your hot air balloon is sinking, why not throw the giant elephant overboard. There is a clear disdain for Metaknight, anyone who has read the forums knows that. The Metaknight debate has gone on for over a year; a ban cannot be called a knee jerk reaction.

Now for my bit of contradiction. I will now present some anecdotal evidence to show overcentralization. Ally plays Metaknight now. Pretty much everyone knows this. A year or so ago, everyone believed Ally to be the MK slayer. That he would miraculously halt Metaknights dominance. Now he is one of them. Metaknight is so good that he can even entice the best player of the second best character to switch over. Ally's reasons to switch probably weren't just so he could win with less effort. But imagine if your an average player in the tournament scene and you want to get better, no matter what. That shiny Metaknight over there is gonna start looking awfully enticing. This is happening. More and more players are switching to Metaknight. It's killing diversity and interest in the game. A ban is the only thing that can stop this behaviour.

Now an emotional argument. Could you imagine the tournament landscape if there weren't a flood of Metaknight's. We could actually be talking about other people other than M2K, other Metaknight mains, and the two other players that can actually beat them. We could actually watch matches that grasp our attention, rather than just gritting our teeth, hoping Metaknight doesn't time out his victim again. I don't see Mike Haze, Boss, Chudat or Lain timing out people with their respective mains(If I'm ignorant about this please tell me).

Many players don't play Metaknight because they like him. He's just the necessary evil that they must employ to achieve success. Much like steroids, he gives an advantage, but he is also detrimental to the game. People must realize that a ban isn't a terrible thing. It doesn't mean that the game is horrendous. It just means that there is an aspect of the game that needs correcting.

Those are my thoughts on the issue. I've read 25 pages worth of posts, and this is my take on the issue. Pick it apart. Blast tiny grammar mistakes because you can't find anything else wrong with it. Talk about me being a hypocrite. Argue semantics. Take it for what it's worth...not much. Hell it's my first post, what could I possibly know?
This is a good post and I am quoting it in hopes other people will randomly read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom