• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Metaknight Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
NNID
Budget_Player
Isnt that what you as a part of a smash community should be striving for?
It is. However, it is completely unrealistic to expect a majority of smashers to reach that level. And at virtually every other level other than the absolute top of what we are currently capable of, MK dominates. I believe the reason he doesn't at the very highest level is because there's only one MK in that truly highest level, and he seems to be terrible in the diddy matchup. That or ADHD is just better.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
name a tournament viable way other than scrooging or planking for mk to time someone out
Running away, but that is beatable.

Planking when done properly by MK isn't, scrooging if I am to trust what some have said isn't beatable if MK does that correctly as well.

Tien2500

Smash Lord

No, there are more iterations of Akuma then I can count.

There's Super Turbo (the one which most people reference to, broken as hell) HD Remix (the "second akuma ban" people are talking about), Capcom vs. SNK 2, SF 4, SF 3, and probably more other games then I know or care to name. And that's not even counting variations within the same game (Akuma vs. Shin Akuma).

There's FAR more then one Akuma.
Marvel vs Capcom 2 Akuma, X-men vs Street Fighter Akuma, Children of the Atom Akuma, Cyber Akuma, Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter Akuma, SNK vs Capcom (NGPC) Akuma, I believe SNK vs Capcom (Arcade) Akuma, Street Fighter Alpha Akuma, Alpha 2 Akuma, Alpha 3 Akuma and I think a few more.

**** Akumas.

Edit: Wow. Smashboards blocks out a certain four letter word that rhymes with lamb. Gosh darn it.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Or we could take other solutions to the problem.
What other solutions apart from a character ban over something that's already illegal?
The fact we have to cater to MK, so he doesn't break the game in half is showing that he is a problem in himself.
We cater to ICs. Ban ICs.
A LGL would restrict his ability to plank, but it wouldn't stop him from working a time out if he wanted to.
I have never alluded to anything of the sort. I am merely stating that before we discuss any more of his other types of stalling, a rule that enforces the "no stalling" rule that his unbeatable planking breaks is necessary.
Unless you set it incredibly low like you did which has problems with characters taking advantage of this when he place restrictions on him like this.
20 isn't incredibly low. You won't go over 20 without ledge camping to some degree (either beatable or unbeatable, but it's unrealistic to hit 20 when playing a normal match).
I'd rather ban a character than force multiple rules to prevent him from going all out.
Except we ALREADY HAVE A RULE THAT STATES THAT HIS UNBEATABLE PLANKING IS ILLEGAL. However, there is no possible way to enforce that rule without a ledge grab limit.

I'm not suggesting we cater to MK, I'm saying we make sure our rules are ****ing enforced.

There is a major difference.

We're catering to ICs more than I suggest we cater to MK (which is not at all, I'm stating that the rules we have must be enforced).
Or we could ban him and not cluster out rule-set to cater to MK.
Ban Ice Climbers.

And we aren't catering to MK, we're making a rule to enforce rules that we have in our current ruleset right now. The exact same thing that was done with infinite CGs to prevent excessive stalling.
Planking when done properly by MK isn't
And is illegal in our current ruleset. There's just no way to enforce the rule we have right now without a ledge grab limit.

Seriously stop mentioning his scrooging and beatable planking when replying to me, it's just off topic. Stuff like: "A LGL would restrict his ability to plank, but it wouldn't stop him from working a time out if he wanted to." is completely unnecesary and 100% off topic.

I'm not suggesting that we have a ledge grab limit to restrict his ability to time people out, I am saying that we MUST have a ledge grab limit to enforce the rule we have RIGHT NOW that makes his unbeatable planking illegal.

I have not mentioned AT ALL that the point of adding an LGL was to limit his ability to time people out, the ONLY thing I have mentioned is that we must have an LGL to prevent MK from possibly breaking the rules that the SBR have already set and have in place right now.

It's not catering to MK in the SLIGHTEST (no more than the current stalling rule caters to ICs (who need limitations far less than MK anyways)), it's having an objective way to enforce our rules right now (the number of ledge grabs may be subjective, but most of our ruleset is completely subjective, and I don't see any problem that could arise from 20 ledge grabs apart from limiting MKs ability to use his beatable planking (which is no different from the current ruleset limiting my ability to kill using up throw as Ice Climbers). It enforces our current ruleset, while, unfortunately and innadvertantly (lol spelling?), limiting something that is beatable (but only because it's the only way to stop MK from breaking the rules that the SBR has put in place)).

So just STOP saying that I'm trying to cater to MK... I'm not, and you should have realized that considering I have atleast 10 posts in the last few days making it clear that I'm suggesting no such thing INCLUDING the post that you quoted.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
What other solutions apart from a character ban over something that's already illegal?
I don't see a rule in place on the offical BBR ruleset other than a no stalling rule, which arguably Planking is not stalling, just ridiculous defensive play that can't be beaten.

We cater to ICs. Ban ICs.
We don't cater to them. Do we place rules down so they can't run free? Nope.

If you mention the 300% stopping one I'll laugh.

I have never alluded to anything of the sort. I am merely stating that before we discuss any more of his other types of stalling, a rule that enforces the "no stalling" rule that his unbeatable planking breaks is necessary.
Fun how you say that yet you clearly stated before you would ignore anyone who mention scrooging or other such tactics.

It doesn't break the stalling rule, he is technically hittable but it won't happen unless he makes a mistake in his huge defensive play on the ledge.

20 isn't incredibly low. You won't go over 20 without ledge camping to some degree (either beatable or unbeatable, but it's unrealistic to hit 20 when playing a normal match).
You sometimes do when you need to fake the opponent out to get back on. Of course it's MK so he shouldn't have a problem, but if he hits over 20 then whats stopping character for trying to run out the clock on him no matter what stock or percent they have left?

An arbitrary rule like LGL can force a play-style like this. I say just ban him since he has already caused multiple problems by himself in other aspects outside of defensive play.

Except we ALREADY HAVE A RULE THAT STATES THAT HIS UNBEATABLE PLANKING IS ILLEGAL. However, there is no possible way to enforce that rule without a ledge grab limit.
The stalling rule is arbitrary. The stalling rule needs to prove intent proving also that the tactic makes you untouchable. MK is technically touchable, even for 3 frames And what happens when people say, "I'm not running the clock out I'm just not trying to get hit." "I'm not planking I'm trying to get back on the ledge safely."

I'm not suggesting we cater to MK, I'm saying we make sure our rules are ****ing enforced.

There is a major difference.
We should enforce our rulesets if someone breaks them, but the stalling rule is hard to enforce at times when we can't prove intent. Not to mention we're basing it off the TO's opinion with no set standard of what is stalling and what isn't.

We're catering to ICs more than I suggest we cater to MK (which is not at all, I'm stating that the rules we have must be enforced). Ban Ice Climbers.
And we aren't catering to MK, we're making a rule to enforce rules that we have in our current ruleset right now. The exact same thing that was done with infinite CGs to prevent excessive stalling. And is illegal in our current ruleset. There's just no way to enforce the rule we have right now without a ledge grab limit.
The 300% rule was put in place day 1, mostly because that's how it was in Melee. It's not there for IC's it's there because it stops anyone who may have gained on from stalling with it.

Also DDD, ZSS, and couple of others fall under the 300% rule since they have infinites in the game.

Seriously stop mentioning his scrooging and beatable planking when replying to me, it's just off topic. Stuff like: "A LGL would restrict his ability to plank, but it wouldn't stop him from working a time out if he wanted to." is completely unnecesary and 100% off topic.

I'm not suggesting that we have a ledge grab limit to restrict his ability to time people out, I am saying that we MUST have a ledge grab limit to enforce the rule we have RIGHT NOW that makes his unbeatable planking illegal.
I'm sorry but what?! His other methods are quite on topic when they can let him avoid a LGL. Listen to yourself talk and look at the quote you took of me. I mention LGL's which is the topic on hand, so your statement is false.

I have not mentioned AT ALL that the point of adding an LGL was to limit his ability to time people out, the ONLY thing I have mentioned is that we must have an LGL to prevent MK from possibly breaking the rules that the SBR have already set and have in place right now.
Define stalling, especially since the rule in place for stalling is arbitrary to hell.

It's not catering to MK in the SLIGHTEST (no more than the current stalling rule caters to ICs (who need limitations far less than MK anyways)), it's having an objective way to enforce our rules right now (the number of ledge grabs may be subjective, but most of our ruleset is completely subjective, and I don't see any problem that could arise from 20 ledge grabs apart from limiting MKs ability to use his beatable planking (which is no different from the current ruleset limiting my ability to kill using up throw as Ice Climbers). It enforces our current ruleset, while, unfortunately and innadvertantly (lol spelling?), limiting something that is beatable (but only because it's the only way to stop MK from breaking the rules that the SBR has put in place)).
The difference here is that the 300% isn't for IC's, it's for infinites. I'm saying we're catering to MK because he keep making rules specifically for him.

A 20 ledge grab limit only means if MK grabs it one too many times another the game turns into, catch the other character before time runs out because stock and percent don't matter only the rule set that says MK loses if he grabbed it a few to many times.

So just STOP saying that I'm trying to cater to MK... I'm not, and you should have realized that considering I have atleast 10 posts in the last few days making it clear that I'm suggesting no such thing INCLUDING the post that you quoted.
So I read everything posted on these forums, of course I always do.

Judo777

Smash Master
Ok well the akuma that Otochun beat was the ST akuma at Xmania that was really broken. The whole point of the post was form people to stop freaking saying "well so and so beat said MK so he cant be unfair"which is ********.

Also both Akumas from ST and HD remix were both banned in most major tournaments and the post was to go with my original point. "Yea some character can fight him and he wont be winning every tournament but there will always be someone (who probably didn't deserve it) placing very high with him on a consistent basis."

So what im saying is people saying "well this one guy beat this one MK last week" is really freaking dumb argument.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
I think he's trying to say that you guys are inherently bad and ignorant about this game, otherwise you would've picked a better character to main...

<3
*looks at everyone who does NOT use MK*

<_<

*scratches his head*
ROFL.

Anyway, justblaze, I do think PT is fine where he is currently. He is certainly not a low tier character, but I do think his bad qualities do hold him back enough that he probably won't rise.

Justblaze647

Smash Lord
Running for my life in the forests of Eelong
o_O

You must be referring to that character icon under my name... lol I actually main Marth, PT is just one of my secondaries, and the character(s) I enjoy using the most in this game... I think his tier position is fine, other than the fact that he's kicked out of low tier tournies now...

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Thats why i have Olimar and IC's and Falco to protect me.
As well as Sonic.
I just dont see Sonic doing badly against DDD oddly enough.
=\
kinda weird matchup there
Sonic's too fast for him to reliably grab. It's actually really bizarre to play.

D3 has too many counters to use in the double blind for R1, though. I'd probably use Falco for that, sandbag R2, and then CP the character R3, if I was actually playing in a tourney for once.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Sonic's too fast for him to reliably grab. It's actually really bizarre to play.
mhm I was thinking the same.
DDD also tends to keep Sonic out with Bair and Ftilt and utilt (which is painful), but just eats sooo much damage.
if he tries to shield an aerial DownB its a free grab for Sonic as well.
Which i dont really see Sonic users abuse as much as they should.
DownB on someone's shield traps the opponent in shieldstun and leads to a free grab.
D3 has too many counters to use in the double blind for R1, though. I'd probably use Falco for that, sandbag R2, and then CP the character R3, if I was actually playing in a tourney for once.
Fat penguin sucks.
Stay with the chicken.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
mhm I was thinking the same.
DDD also tends to keep Sonic out with Bair and Ftilt and utilt (which is painful), but just eats sooo much damage.
if he tries to shield an aerial DownB its a free grab for Sonic as well.
Which i dont really see Sonic users abuse as much as they should.
DownB on someone's shield traps the opponent in shieldstun and leads to a free grab.

Fat penguin sucks.
Stay with the chicken.
D3 is the most reliable hard counter in the game for a lot of characters, thought. :3

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
he reliably hard counters characters that would lose anyway.
Dk is probably the only exception.
Frankly, I say we should allow the infinite, I'd perform it at EVERY opportunity.
infinite up to 200.
Fthrow.
Rinse and repeat.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
only because we want to cater to those characters.
Frankly if you're banning DDD's and marth's infinites. Ban the IC's as well.
oh wait you can't since there are so many ways to get around it.
how about we all stop acting two faced and let the **** infinites be used?
After all, its a result of character design.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Couldn't have said it better myself.

NNID
Budget_Player
Meh. If it's enough to put DK in low tier tournaments.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Right, so on my CP when someone stays Mario/Luigi/Samus/DK/Bowser, I go to counterpick D3 and the--- oh wait. That's right. His standing infinites are banned in the vast majority of tournaments >_>
You can still CG those characters, with the exception of Luigi, and even then, NONE of them can do anything to D3 even if all he does is backthrow them. The matchup just goes from 100-0 to 90-10.

Anyways, I wasn't referring to the CG, I was referring to the fact that his grab range is disgusting and a lot of mid and low tiers are forced to approach his shield, which is an awful situation for pretty much all of them.

@Shadowlink: I find it funny people are really hesitant about banning planking because it "artificially limits the character" but we've already done it to others. :laugh:

fkacyan

Smash Hero
How so?
Currently the only character that is limited by the removal of planking, is, you guessed it, Metaknight.
I was talking about removing CGs from the movesets of a bunch of characters. That is to say, we have already limited characters before, so I'm not sure what the issue is now.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
I was talking about removing CGs from the movesets of a bunch of characters. That is to say, we have already limited characters before, so I'm not sure what the issue is now.
Name them.
If we have ever limited characters, it was because the tactic in itself was overly powerful
jiggly's rising pound
Ganondorf's ledge stall.
peach's bomber.

I dont see anyone limiting Falco's CG.
DDD's CG.
The only time such a thnig was banned was because people went "WOMG UNFAIR!" and banned it.

Dk should not do well at all because of his character flaw.
Same for the other 4 terrible characters.

if one is to ban the DDD infinite, Marth infinite, we should be banning the IC infinite.
Considering we didn't bant he iC's infinite (not like we can) we shouldn't ban those other infinites because:

1. They do not overcentralize the game.
2. you are supposed to exploit the weaknesses of a character.

Otherwise, I demand MK be banned from using any special moves and more than 3 jumps.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Name them.
If we have ever limited characters, it was because the tactic in itself was overly powerful
jiggly's rising pound
Ganondorf's ledge stall.
peach's bomber.

I dont see anyone limiting Falco's CG.
DDD's CG.
The only time such a thnig was banned was because people went "WOMG UNFAIR!" and banned it.

Dk should not do well at all because of his character flaw.
Same for the other 4 terrible characters.

if one is to ban the DDD infinite, Marth infinite, we should be banning the IC infinite.
Considering we didn't bant he iC's infinite (not like we can) we shouldn't ban those other infinites because:

1. They do not overcentralize the game.
2. you are supposed to exploit the weaknesses of a character.

Otherwise, I demand MK be banned from using any special moves and more than 3 jumps.
You're totally mis-interpreting what I'm saying.

I don't think that the infinite CGs should be banned, I'm saying that it's funny that they are and yet people seem to have an issue with doing the same thing to MK when it's actually important that it be done as opposed to catering to characters who are terrible and shouldn't be viable to begin with.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
You're totally mis-interpreting what I'm saying.

I don't think that the infinite CGs should be banned, I'm saying that it's funny that they are and yet people seem to have an issue with doing the same thing to MK when it's actually important that it be done as opposed to catering to characters who are terrible and shouldn't be viable to begin with.
I do think its a terrible idea regardless.
if something should be banned, it should be banned for the right reasons.
my only issue with the idea of limiting MK, is because as many have said earlier, he does have methods getting around it.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I do think its a terrible idea regardless.
if something should be banned, it should be banned for the right reasons.
my only issue with the idea of limiting MK, is because as many have said earlier, he does have methods getting around it.
That's the joke! We banned something not broken for the wrong reasons, and now we have issues banning a technique that is broken for the right reasons.

As for MK getting around it, meh. I would expect us as a community to have a little more integrity than to endlessly find loopholes, but I suppose money makes people *******s.

TeeVee

Smash Lord
30 grab ledge rule

you can't go under the stage more than once without touching the stage (not the ledge)

there you go.

ElDominio

Smash Journeyman
XD.
What does maining Sonic have to do with anything?
As in, I'm also a Sonic main and I put him on my ignore list lol.

Actually, now that I think about it, infinites should be allowed (to %300, like DDDs standing infinites)

We won't cater to MK, so we won't cater to DK either, if someone picks D3 and you main DK, then you better have a second. If not then you deserve to lose no?

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
That's the joke! We banned something not broken for the wrong reasons, and now we have issues banning a technique that is broken for the right reasons.

As for MK getting around it, meh. I would expect us as a community to have a little more integrity than to endlessly find loopholes, but I suppose money makes people *******s.
Sad but true.
it really isa pity that Smash wasn't designed competitively.

ElDominio

Smash Journeyman

As people have said, it's play to win, so they will find loopholes, and then we fall back into square one.

etecoon

Smash Hero
should just ban sheik, banning the technique is a surgical change and is BAD, because OS said so</budget post>

TeeVee

Smash Lord
should just ban d3, banning the infinite is a surgical change and is BAD, because OS said so </budget post>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom