• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi v. Meta Knight

.Marik

is a social misfit
in my personal experience being yoshi against meta knight, (Lv9) i havent encountered any problems vsing the supposed "best" character.
Super Shiri Edit: Marik enjoys raging against the machine! It's all good, though, since he's a cool guy. Just don't get Lil' B'd a.k.a Lil Banned, LOOOOL! Also, Bwett, whenever you infract someone for heinous content, you can edit the material out and put like flowers and hamsters and stuff. My usual pretty princess trappings are on a different computer, so this pink font will have to do~ <3

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL SHIRI EDIT.

Since Shiri is awesome, I'll leave this be. <3

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Marik is such a rebel. :D

So has this matchup actually changed for anybody else? People rarely play Meta Knight anymore versus me so I don't know what Meta Knight players are up to these days.

Airborne

Smash Lord
well, the only 2 mk's i faced in the past 3 months or so are capem and OS...
all i can say is for capem i take advantage of early match, and then he adapts and comes back to beat me at last stock high %'s, and then OS just beats me, gives me a little tip here or there, and then tells me to drop the terrible habit i decided to bring back that day, or to drop yoshi for a top tier.... so..... yeah. -.-

i haven't looked at my yoshi in a good replay in a few months, so i don't know where i'm at or what to analyze.... i've been going auto-pilot for the past 2 tournies, it seems...

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I actually tend to be beaten by MKs a lot more than I used to. Maybe it's because I've kinda been going auto pilot in matches and not actively putting 100% energy and focus into the match. I'm just having a bit of trouble stopping some of his approaches, the main one being:

Dair Camp > Tornado right on top of me.

I've really had trouble against this tactic. I know some things that could work, but I usually panic under the pressure and usmash or pivot grab, which only gets me hit. Probably should egg/run more.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Or maybe you should just stop using Yoshi and counter MetaKnight with a different colour of MetaKnight. :yoshi:

Bwett

Smash Ace
Usmash is a fairly good strategy against air planking. MK's assume that dair camping is unstoppable, so they are repetitive in their actions. If you predict what they do, you can punish with usmash.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Or maybe you should just stop using Yoshi and counter MetaKnight with a different colour of MetaKnight. :yoshi:
I post on the Yoshi boards for this kind of advice.

Usmash is a fairly good strategy against air planking. MK's assume that dair camping is unstoppable, so they are repetitive in their actions. If you predict what they do, you can punish with usmash.
And if they're higher up I can just egg them. I guess I just need to keep calm. XD

.Marik

is a social misfit
"It tastes awful, but it works!"

The bitter taste of truth. Thanks Buckleys. :yoshi:

MetaYoshi14

Smash Rookie
MetaKnight by far wins. His grabs are insane, and even though Yoshi can pivot-grab, its pointless, because MetaKnight can easily dodge it with his lightning speed and dash grab us in like 2 seconds. However, if the Yoshi is skilled and the MetaKnight is alright, then you may have a chance to chain grab.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I disagree. I feel that we can put up a very even fight onstage if we play campy enough and run away when we need to. The only reason we're at a disadvantage is because we can't recover safely.

D

Deleted member

Delta, i disagree.

This character ***** us sideways in most situations, your best option in most cases is to do nothing, which is because nothing is safe when meta knight walks up to you, he outranges you, pivotgrab will get ***** if you do it in panic.

hadesblade

Smash Lord
How the hell do I counter dair? D:<
egg/uair

And I thought about something I saw at devastation where sk92 was practicing jumping between mk's dairs and doing a nair, it makes me wonder if we could do a djnair between mk's dairs.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Double Jump Nair?

I don't know. Dair has more range and is situated in a more effective manner.

Aerials "clink" because they have the same priority, correct? The winner out the two moves is determined by the range? Bigger hitbox= more luck?

Uair might beat MetaKnight's Dair. I'm pretty sure I've done this before, but I ****ing hate this matchup severely.

But yes, an Egg is probably the only 100% safe measure you can fulfill against a menacing Dair.

bigman40

Smash Master
Double Jump Nair?

Aerials "clink" because they have the same priority, correct? The winner out the two moves is determined by the range? Bigger hitbox= more luck?

Uair might beat MetaKnight's Dair. I'm pretty sure I've done this before, but I ****ing hate this matchup severely.

But yes, an Egg is probably the only 100% safe measure you can fulfill against a menacing Dair.
"Clanking" moves only apply to grounded moves (except gliding aerials). For aerials, the move that wins depends on how fast and how big the hitbox is compared to the other. The second a hitbox overlaps the hurtbox of another character before the opponent, that move wins unless both attacks hit the hurtboxes at the same time.

~Mieu

D

Deleted member

Double Jump Nair?

Aerials never clink, whichever hits the hurtbox first wins, meaning more range will win.

Uair has always beaten Mks dair... how can you not know this thats so important!

Bwett is pretty much correct, you cant really camp, you can only play super safe with your moves.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Marik is probably referring to when aerials collide but tie in the air.

The event is visually the same thing as ground "clanking," but is different in theory.

For example, Sheik can back air Meta Knight's glide attack and if spaced correctly, neither player will get hit or take damage. This event occurs when two attack hitboxes meet aerially, but neither character's vulnerability boxes collide with those attack boxes. In essence, it applies to attacks with extreme range beyond that of the naked eye or attacks with invulnerability associated on the attacking limbs or objects. As far as I know, disjoints do not undergo this phenomenon.

The occurrences are rare, but very easy to replicate.

The collision tie is not dependent on "priority."

So it's the two ideas are the same, but not really.

And no, this phenomenon was not present in either Melee or 64 to my (extremely extensive) knowledge.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Glide attacks do not follow the same principles as normal air attacks, though. It's always possible to clank with a glide attack, but you cannot clank with an aerial.

:069:

D

Deleted member

Polt is correct, you cannot clank say yoshis neutral air with lucas' up air.
it just doesnt work lol

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
*BUMP FOR NEW MU DISCUSSION*

We are redoing all of the MU's due to our numbers being out dated, and we are starting with the ever so popular and notorious Meta Knight Matchup. Now... discuss...

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
If mk is to careless we can pivot grab the tornado and we can also shield it cuz we cant get shield poked, just watch out after the tornado due to our terribad OoS (unless we're on a pass through platform lol :p) And if we space with our awesome air speed we can get away from dtilt but its still hella hard. Emphasis on IF though

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Run away. Like hell. Don't do anything stupid, don't throw eggs if they're grounded. Don't Pivot Grab Nado on reaction like I tend to do, wait and see how high it is on the ground. End your grab releases with USmash. Don't get impatient, wait. Count his jumps if he's air camping you. If he's falling right above you, don't spotdodge on reaction, hold shield. Odds are, it'll be tornado. If you're shielding Tornado, spot dodge the end of it and see if you can punish. If you think you might not make it, don't go for it, just reset. IF you get caught in a string, DI away from MK. Don't hold towards him/the stage, run away to reset spacing. If you're CGing him and you think he may get stuck on a platform, don't hesitate. Either Usmash, dash attack, or reset.

Ban Brinstar. You can run on Rainbow Cruise.

Counter Pick... somewhere you're comfortable that MK doesn't **** on. Hard job, I know.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
What stages do you prefer to counter on and are there any others aside from brinstar that he ***** us on?

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I usually go Lylat for my CP. I used to do Castle Siege, but it's too small at the start, and the second transformation gives him too much room to avoid the camp and walkoff. The third part is just FD with tilts that can mess up the CG.

Lylat is long, like FD. The platforms rarely mess with the CG, and if they do, they've got some nice spacing on them that allows for an Usmash in most cases. Occasionally they'll slide off due to the tilt, allowing for an Usmash to connect. Note that if they land on the platform, you will most likely be able to Egg Lay them. I usually don't do this, mainly because I don't think of it during a match. :(

Brinstar is the absolute worst. Rainbow Cruise is bad, but COMPLETELY doable. Just make sure you run and keep your distance. Delfino is another common CP, but all you have to do there is camp and run away as well. The walk off parts are a bonus. Some forms, like the three pillars, require a lot of air camping and ledge use. Frigate may also be used, so watch your recovery on the side with no ledge.

In order to not get ***** on a CP and to have a CP, you need to be EXTREMELY familiar with the stages and how you can abuse them to take minimal damage. If you have a friend that mains MK, ask him to help you and play on EVERY legal stage in your area repeatedly so you can get a feel for them. CPing MK also involves knowing the player. There are some MKs I would take to Delfino, while I also know some I would NEVER take there.

Sharky

Smash Master
Note that if they land on the platform, you will most likely be able to Egg Lay them. I usually don't do this, mainly because I don't think of it during a match. :(
Pretty sure I've told you a couple times at least, remember it dammit! >.<

Top Bottom