• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi v. Meta Knight

bigman40

Smash Master
....Zuzuzu.....

Keep him from taking full momentum, and you have a better chance....Camping MK doesn't work unless they space dumb.....Keep a ton of mixups going if hes sitting in the shield too long, force him to come out and punish or bait his spotdodge....

.....Zuzuzu.....

FooXero

Smash Cadet
I know I'm kinda going all necro on this thread here, but has anyone else tried using Dair on meta's shuttle?

I was playing my friend and everytime he went under the stage I used Dair and found out it often cancelled the loop.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
My guess would be that Dair would work only after the start up invincibility frames have worn off. Otherwise you'll just get Loop'd.

As for stages, I like what Hades had to say in the stage thread.

His maneuverability is hindered by the platforms. Just camp under one, he can't dair camp in your face with the platforms, so you are safe to egg toss his approaches. If he aproaches with nado, just run back a lil and pivot egg roll across (it beats nado), and camp under the other platform.

The platforms make it easier to pivot grab because he has to stay under them. Grab release->Usmash pretty much every time from there. Anyway, the loss of cg and maneuverability is worth that camping spot at bf. The best thing is, it usually shows up when your striking against mk. They strike fd and sv because of your cg, and you end up with bf. Anyway, I've two stocked mk's there that I lost to on sv/fd.

Just try camping under a platform in a match. No dairs mean mk has no legit approaches.
For reasons he's said, I'd also suggest that Lylat is a good stage because it has three platforms, one on each side of the stage and the center, all at BF height, giving you multiple platforms to hide under.

nicalobe

Smash Journeyman
All MK has to do is spam whorenado and the game is over. Not much Yoshi can do. If we egg him out of it, he can start it up again and hit us before our egg throw lag is done. We can grab him out of it, but they have such good control over such a stupid move that they can bait the pivot grab and punish us for it. After spamming the **** move til u get 100+% all they do is spam shuttle loop and down smash.

MK needs the ban hammer.

hadesblade

Smash Lord
All MK has to do is spam whorenado and the game is over. Not much Yoshi can do. If we egg him out of it, he can start it up again and hit us before our egg throw lag is done. We can grab him out of it, but they have such good control over such a stupid move that they can bait the pivot grab and punish us for it. After spamming the **** move til u get 100+% all they do is spam shuttle loop and down smash.

MK needs the ban hammer.
Or... wait for it... EGG ROLL O:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Or... wait for it... EGG ROLL O:
This. I was going to say it, but then I saw Hades had posted and I knew I was too late. Also, you clearly did not read the quote.

His maneuverability is hindered by the platforms. Just camp under one, he can't dair camp in your face with the platforms, so you are safe to egg toss his approaches. If he aproaches with nado, just run back a lil and pivot egg roll across (it beats nado), and camp under the other platform.
Bolded is the important part.

I'd also like to suggest people here check the Stage Discussion thread for a debate between Bwett and Hades about stages to take MK to. I hope one of them will post a summary here once they're finished. XD

Depster

Smash Champion
Dair

So someone else finally noticed?

I'm PRETTY sure that Dair will always beat shuttle loop if and only if you don't touch his sword. So then since he holds his sword under him on the way up you have to be almost behind him to make it work. A nice mindgame but I doubt it works for long.

D

Deleted member

Everyones known that since like brawl came out lol.
People dont use it cuz its dumb and youll die XD

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
My guess would be that Dair would work only after the start up invincibility frames have worn off. Otherwise you'll just get Loop'd.

Only a grounded Shuttle Loop has invincibility frames - SL in the air is pretty vulnerable.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Personally, from what little I know about Yoshi, it's 40:60 MK's favour. The grab release is a big plus, but good MKs can be quite hard to grab. Not as bad as Wario, but he can still be pretty slippery. Without the chain grab release, it's more like 25:75 lol.

D

Deleted member

Personally, from what little I know about Yoshi, it's 40:60 MK's favour. The grab release is a big plus, but good MKs can be quite hard to grab. Not as bad as Wario, but he can still be pretty slippery. Without the chain grab release, it's more like 25:75 lol.
Im pretty sure you have no idea what you are talking about.
=D

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Why would you come and post something like that with little knowledge about Yoshi. :dizzy:

Gindler

Smash Champion
Everyones known that since like brawl came out lol.
People dont use it cuz its dumb and youll die XD
Ha i know right? dair stops shuttle loop...ooooooo fancy, until they just start waiting for Dair to end then kill you with the shoopty loop. I need to start playing this matchup again, been going mostly wario on MK and wolf too, even though wolf vs. MK is supposed to be bad it's still pretty fun :) (plus his blindspots aren't as bad as yoshi's are vs. MK)

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Well, apart from saying that you knew little about Yoshi, you also make it seem we only have the Grab Release to help us. While that does certainly help, you also made it seem like we'll be grabbing on the offensive, when you play mostly defensive in this MU and Pivot Grab his approaches.

You pretty much discredited yourself when you said you knew little about Yoshi.

D

Deleted member

Ok, to be brief, the chain grab isnt that important, it hardly changes the matchup. Its most important because we get a guarenteed kill out of a grab at 120ish. It does about as much as a D3 back throw with more refreshes, so its good but not huge.

Our main tools are forcing approaches and punishing sloppy ones, outliving Mk/killing him earlyish, and juggling (sort of)

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
In this matchup I focus on predicting MK in the air. I know he's not approaching from the ground ( Pivot grabs until he gets close) so he generally takes the air, as that is where MK beats Yoshi pretty bad. But, since you know he IS in the air, at the very least you can predict where he is and try to beat him there with the appropriate aerial. Save either upsmash or up air for the kill, be sure to save one, the one that you don't save use to rack up damage. I usually like to rack up damage with upsmash and try to kill other ways, but I think both approaches work depending on your style of Yoshi. I know how to get those up airs in, so I prefer upsmash for racking up damage.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Even with the ChainGrab (which only consistently punishes and works on n00bish MetaKnights), it doesn't really change the matchup by a considerable amount. MetaKnight still punishes the f*ck out of Yoshi.

I bait and lure MetaKnights, I rarely ever play offensive. I also take to the air, but still play defensive most of the time. I wait for them to screw up, punish, and retreat. ChainGrab here and there if I feel threatened.

Still in MetaKnight's favour, 60:40 or 35:65 even.

Airborne

Smash Lord
In this matchup I focus on predicting MK in the air. I know he's not approaching from the ground ( Pivot grabs until he gets close) so he generally takes the air, as that is where MK beats Yoshi pretty bad. But, since you know he IS in the air, at the very least you can predict where he is and try to beat him there with the appropriate aerial. Save either upsmash or up air for the kill, be sure to save one, the one that you don't save use to rack up damage. I usually like to rack up damage with upsmash and try to kill other ways, but I think both approaches work depending on your style of Yoshi. I know how to get those up airs in, so I prefer upsmash for racking up damage.
usmash is definitely preferable for racking up damage, because it beats nado and other annoying attacks in mk's arsenal

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Lol @ that Mac guy who used to argue everyday about Yoshi and MK being even.

D

Deleted member

I dunno egg lay approach is too nasty, it beats freaking tornado XD
And you can **** MK so hard from egg lay its sick

D

Deleted member

U know, just like baiting a nair and DJC egg laying again.
Its not like anythings guarenteed, just gotta read and go for what ever makes sense. If you think they are gonna attack, uair beats all his aerials so thats good. Or you can just grab them on landings, unless they tornado.
Yoshi has like a counter to everything but still loses badly =(

Yikarur

Smash Master
btw does anyone mentioned that you can Double Jump Nair MK out of the tornado? Didn't use it as yet but I didn't get a chance yet xD

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I still haven't been able to come to any conclusion in my months of testing neutral air.

The move has like, super sporadic invulnerability at some point, I just can't find it and be consistent with it.

D

Deleted member

TKD and me used to play a fair amount.
He thought it was just me knowing the matchup that i could not get completely ***** :p

I almost beat m2k in a friendly haha

Top Bottom