• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi v. Meta Knight

D

Deleted member

The problem is you dont, the momentum carries him near you so he can punish you in his lag. MK can start up a glide rather quickly, of course its not flawless and he cant do that too many times, but he needs only a few times

The only bad thing about him getting closer is that he has better options inside lol.
I have a good amount of MK experience fyi.

hadesblade

Smash Lord
Mk still isn't going to be right next to you after 1 egg toss when he was across the stage. Once he gets close enough that glide attacking your next egg will put him next to you just don't throw the egg...

auroreon

Smash Ace
I'm completely with what Hadesblade is saying on this, that has been my experience with MKs as well. Its evident from what he is saying that he does have good MK experience. Hopefully we can get Bwetts input on it. I'm pretty adament that the matchup is 60:40 at worst.

Airborne

Smash Lord
*reserved for Airborne's 2 cents when the Kiest gets matches of him against capem on YT so he can recall what it was like to actually face a mk*
.... i kinda went autopilot in those matches. =\

Bwett

Smash Ace
I think I've already made a huge summary for this, but I'll make a new one with some added info. Lately MK has gotten harder and the matchup is somewhere between 60:40 and 65:35. The matchup still shouldnt be considered 70:30, which would be saying its just as hard as Marth, which is a fallacy.

D

Deleted member

Marth isnt hard bwett :p
I gotta teach you that ****/get vids.
Jeez how do you have trouble with marth, so easy uggg it annoys me.

Also, can you go on aim, i need meta help :)

Bwett

Smash Ace
You have no idea how hard a Marth that knows how to abuse the matchup is. I don't really feel like rewriting this matchup, but I'll make it short, sweet, and to the point.

If possible, keep the amount of time on the edge minimal. ECE's are great, but your ability to get off the edge is limited, especially after 100%. You will be punished. In this MU, you need to keep MK out of your space. You can do just fine against MK if you keep mid to long range at all times. Use pivot grabs to keep him from the ground. Mix this up with SH bairs.

If he is in the air over a roll's length away, use eggs to punish. Glide attack is nothing to worry about. If he is close to the roll's length bubble, then if he uses glide attack to clink with the egg, then pivot grab. Outside of that bubble, another egg ETS'ed backwards will be fine. If he is inside, you shouldn't be throwing an egg because it's too close and he can punish, so either pivot grab, usmash (which will probably clink), and fsmash (if he is flying in low).

A big problem that Yoshi's have is the don't know how to punish dair camping right above their head. You try to usmash, but they just jump slightly out of range. Eggs won't work since they can dodge and punish. Wait for a few dairs and just SH uair. Works pretty well. Also, wait for the 5th jump, read the DI and punish with grab. They will probably try to tornado on the way down so you should be fine.

Know all the moves that beat all of MK's moves. It's safe to assume that usmash beats almost everything. Same with fsmash. Even dsmash beats tornado lol.

The main thing to worry about is just making a wall that MK can't approach. This will take alot of mixing up with pivot grabs, bairs, egglays, tilts, and even weak thrown eggs. If you become predictable, he will easily get through and you'll take quite a bit of damage. This setup works extremely well against aggressive MK's.

Against passive MK's that just wait, this is where it gets really difficult and why I think 65:35 might be reasonable. An MK that just stands still or slowly advances, you don't have many options. You can throw eggs, but if he powershields and walks closer, if he closes in the gap, you will get punished eventually. You can try to dash grab, but spotdodge will **** you. You don't have much of a choice other than to slowly retreat his upcoming advance. Eventually, you will reach the ledge and be forced to jump over him. And you already know that you are in a bad spot when you are above MK.

You can beat this strategy, but it will take alot of effort. I'm currently trying mixups between bair and egglay. Bair easily beats spotdodge. Egglay beats some attacks and shield. Just as a note, this mixup is extremely powerful against all characters. Approaching the same way, back facing to the opponent, and choosing either move from this is an excellent option.

Also, against an MK that knows how to use tornado, it is extremely difficult to punish. You can if you predict it, but based solely on reactions, it is near impossible to catch an usmash or grab.

There is my crappy summary. Discuss :)

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
A big problem that Yoshi's have is the don't know how to punish dair camping right above their head. You try to usmash, but they just jump slightly out of range. Eggs won't work since they can dodge and punish. Wait for a few dairs and just SH uair. Works pretty well. Also, wait for the 5th jump, read the DI and punish with grab. They will probably try to tornado on the way down so you should be fine.
Thank you dear god for telling me how to deal with that. T_T

I didn't disagree with anything you said. Especially staying far away from Goos Sir Knight. I don't really think I can say anything else after that summary. XD

:027:

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Agreed. If you get the grab, I would suggest the following, in order of deliciousness:

1] CG to the edge
1a] Upsmash
1b] Forward throw at the edge
1c] Attempt a spike
1d] Drop off neutral air

2] Chew into a forward or back throw for maximum damage

3] Chew into a down or up throw for minimum damage and follow up with aerials or eggs

Up and down throw are really bad because they do no damage and the DI you can get on them is really bad for followups and they have extremely low stun as well.

Also, GG @ that writeup, Bwett. :D

SOVAman

Smash Hero
:yoshi: Agreed. If you get the grab, I would suggest the following, in order of deliciousness:

1] CG to the edge
1a] Attempt a spike
1b] Forward throw at the edge
1c] Drop off neutral air

2] Chew into a forward or back throw for maximum damage

3] Chew into a down or up throw for minimum damage and follow up with aerials or eggs

Up and down throw are really bad because they do no damage and the DI you can get on them is really bad for followups and they have extremely low stun as well.

Also, GG @ that writeup, Bwett. :D
I disagree i say CG him almost to the edge then Upsmash. It put more damage and its guaranteed

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Oh, I forgot about upsmash!

Good call!

<-- hasn't played this matchup in 7 weeks

Bwett

Smash Ace
I disagree with both of you. CG to the edge is not guaranteed. Pros, when you pummel, will insta-grab break on the second grab. I suggest you grab>pummel>usmash. Also, don't try to go for the spike. It is too risky

Chaco

Never Logs In
Okay, so. Definitely do not try the spike. Bwett is also right on them breaking.

PRiDE

Smash Lord
Tip for escaping tornado properly that I see a lot of Yoshis failing to do. When MK starts to tornado, most Yoshis put their shield up to block. This is a good thing, however a lot of people just say, hey Yoshi can't be pierced let me stay in until tornado is finished.. WRONG. You will be punished severely for staying in your egg until it is done. What you should do is shield, wait to see what direction he is moving the nado in, and then roll in the opposite direction just before it finishes.. A.) You save your shield. B.) You are now free to run away and reprocess the situation SAFELY. Just something I have noticed watching live streams and vids...

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
I disagree with both of you. CG to the edge is not guaranteed. Pros, when you pummel, will insta-grab break on the second grab. I suggest you grab>pummel>usmash. Also, don't try to go for the spike. It is too risky
Bwett is money on this. When I was playing Seibrik's MK in friendlies, we were discussing this very thing. He told me not to CG to the edge, where I agreed. I told him that I will always go for the Upsmash after the first release to pile on damage. We also both agreed on not going for the spike. I know it's basically what Bwett said, but I thought I say something too.

:093:

Airborne

Smash Lord
ok, so i'm guessing the objective is to:
>never try to cg a mk; only do one grab release per chain of ****
>don't **** with whorenado; shield then roll from that ****
>egglay>downtaunt at high %'s =D

bringing back the yoshi combo, baby!

oh, never underestimate the height of SL; capem was abusing that **** whenever i tried to recover overhead with egg toss... in an attempt that he wouldn't guess that i would egg toss to get that little extra height to miss whatever he throws at me. =\

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
ok, so i'm guessing the objective is to:
>never try to cg a mk; only do one grab release per chain of ****
Well, not never; it'll depend on what percent they're at. As a reference, a few months ago, DMG mentioned he could consistently ground break Yoshi's grab up to around 30-35%, and had done it at around 50%. Maybe he, or some other pros, can break at higher percentages now, but there's a limit to how fast a human can mash to break out. If you grab someone at, say, 10%, it'd be safer just to upsmash on release. At mid-high percents, though, the CG should be fine.

MX778

Smash Journeyman
Hi Metatitan! :D

But you all are forgetting one thing..:
None of Meta Knights attacks out prioritize the Egg Lay. Because it penetrates sheilds, is very quick, and also has very good range.

It can be used to set up combos too.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Hi Metatitan! :D

But you all are forgetting one thing..:
None of Meta Knights attacks out prioritize the Egg Lay. Because it penetrates sheilds, is very quick, and also has very good range.

It can be used to set up combos too.
Actually the egg lay is good but It is easilly punished by a spot dodge.

You do not want a mk to Spot Dodge your egg lay or dash grab because it is a free Dsmash, Dair, UpB and so on.....

MX778

Smash Journeyman
Actually the egg lay is good but It is easilly punished by a spot dodge.

You do not want a mk to Spot Dodge your egg lay or dash grab because it is a free Dsmash, Dair, UpB and so on.....
There was something that pro Yoshi players did in Melee that required his second jump.
Like..He would jump then cancel out his second jump with an attack while turning to the opposite direction at the same time.

That's what you should do when you use the Egg Lay.

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
Well, not never; it'll depend on what percent they're at. As a reference, a few months ago, DMG mentioned he could consistently ground break Yoshi's grab up to around 30-35%, and had done it at around 50%. Maybe he, or some other pros, can break at higher percentages now, but there's a limit to how fast a human can mash to break out. If you grab someone at, say, 10%, it'd be safer just to upsmash on release. At mid-high percents, though, the CG should be fine.
Well said.

:093:

Depster

Smash Champion
So now the fair spike has to be mindgames again... if they don't expect it they can't get out...

Hmmm

Smash Rookie
God, I hate fighting MetaKnights... It isn't and won't be easy...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

... END OF STORY...

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
I MM'd Seibrik today and lost. It's a hard matchup indeed. Not saying I hate the matchup ('cause I don't), but if the MK is passive and patient, it can get really frustrating.

auroreon

Smash Ace
I think its obvious MK is at an advantage.
An MK without Yoshi experience will find the matchup very difficult, especially if they try to play agressively, I would say Yoshi is at an advantage there but thats pretty much how most matchups work without experience to a lesser extent.
But when MK knows the matchup and knows to play patiently and how to punish Yoshi, its deffinatly going to be an uphill battle, but not 65:35.
60:40 MK is my stance, if you are finding it harder than that then you are playing too agressively.

D

Deleted member

Naww, you HAVE to play aggressively whenever you see an opening to imo.
MK does not get camped really. He can air camp at angles eggs cant hit, and can punish eggs with a multitude of things from both the air and the ground (easier from the ground). He can punish pivot grabs from the ground, and with tornado from the air (both from like half way across the stage).

Yoshi can really only win by abusng his openings, and punishing hard, without letting MK get to the ground, or if he does, getting a grab while he lands.

Top Bottom