• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances Day Sixty: Ashley Robbins and Ragna the BloodEdge

D

Deleted member

Kirby sucked up all of his enemies and sucked up a perfect score.

Ryu Hayabusa ninja skills did not push him far into the roster at all, at a paltry 21.08%

Xhampi wins five newcomer nominations for being the closest to predict Ryu's score.

Up for polling are R.O.B. and Duck Hunt Dog, which ends at 8:00 PM CST tomorrow. On deck are Sheik and Tingle. You may predict what Tingle gets tomorrow.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
R.O.B. - 95

R.O.B. was a great retro WTF character in Brawl - he shouldn't go, though he's not totally safe. Deserving (5)

Duck Hunt Dog - 55%

Duck Hunt Dog is one of the more popular requests for a retro character, and there's good reason why. His game is iconic as a retro Nintendo title, and his appearance was iconic in itself. His game - usually including him with it - has been remade, referenced, or used in some form in numerous other Nintendo games - notably WarioWare and Smash Bros. This keeps his game somewhat relevant to modern gaming.

Given his popularity and his status as a retro Nintendo icon, he is definitely one of the more likely retro characters in our hands.

His chances as an overall character, however, are probably mediocre. I'm not sure if Sakurai is really going to add two retro characters again as he did last time when we've still got franchises that should get character representation (Punch-Out, Golden Sun) and franchises that should get more reps (Metroid, Donkey Kong). In addition, although it has been proven many times a moveset can be made for him, it's true that a moveset is somewhat difficult for him, and I feel that this affects his likelihood. Sakurai appears to choose characters if they bring something new to the series, and I'm not sure if Duck Hunt Dog does that or not.

So are his chances as a retro character good? Yes. As a normal character against any other character? No.

I've already given reasons why he's iconic to Nintendo. If we had the space for a couple retro characters, he's wanted (4). I just don't see this happening, though.

Nominations:
Ice Climbers x5
Samurai Goroh x5

Prediction:
Tingle - 45%

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
R.O.B. - 95%

I like him, some people don't. But he is deserving, I give him a 5.

Duck Hunt Dog - 10%

Really? Really? HIM!? He'd be better for a Duck Hunt Stage or gag Assist Trophy. I give him a 1.

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
R.O.B.: 97%
Duck Hunt Dog: 13%

prediction:
Tingle: 46.99%

nominations:
Ice Climbers x5
Vaati x5

Barbasol

Smash Ace
R.O.B. ~93% A fantastic addition to Brawl, with industry-wide significance, a unique moveset, significance in story mode, and Nintendo importance, this little guy has A LOT going for him.

However, every raging fanboy who's character didn't make it in threw ALL their nerd-rage and hatred at the little robot, using him as a whipping post for all their letdowns. A lot of news outlets picked up on this too, IGN, for example. It's possible that Sakurai will cut the character out of appeasement, but that's a VERY small possibility. ROB deserves to be in, far more than a lot of characters. Want- 5

Duck Hunt Dog

This dog is one of the most iconic characters in all of gaming. Hailing from Duck Hunt, this malicious dog was mocking most gamers before tweens on Xbox LIVE were.

Duck Hunt Dog blasts the chances of other one-shot characters like Takamaru, Sukapon, etc. because he actually brings more than fan-service to the table. He's a big part of Nintendo's legacy, and he represents all the Light-Gun era games very nicely. His announcement would also carry far more weight than the resounding 'huh?' that other retro characters would bring. Duck Hunt Dog is actually well known outside more hardcore gaming circles, he's instantly recognizable and has a lot of cultural significance.

I picked R.O.B. for Brawl, and I'm picking Duck Hunt Dog for Smash Bros 4. He holds all the cards. He has everything going for him that Takamaru, Sukapon, Mike Jones, and Lip could only dream of.

I could go into more depth, but I think it would fall on deaf ears.

70% Want Level 5

Predictions:
Tingle- 50%

Nominations

• Kamek x1
  • Black Shadow x1
  • Dark Samus x1
  • Jiro x1
  • Sukapon x1

D

Deleted member

R.O.B.

Definitively probable. The only reason he would go is if Sakurai decided that he wanted to stop adding retro characters and want to reduce focus on them.

92.50%

Duck Hunt Dog:

Would make a great unexpected character to most people. Wanted

Duck Hunt Dog is hated, but he's one of these characters that people love to hate instead of flat-out hate. So it's possible he would be the next R.O.B if we get any. He's also very well-known as a retro character and retro fans will know who he is.

However, he receive little requests to be playable and I can't see us getting two retro characters again. The only "retro" character I see playable is Takamaru.

25%

I predict that Tingle gets a 55.12%.

Nominations:
Vets:
Wario (x5)

Nominations:
Jiro (x1)
Krystal (x1)
Samurai Goroh (x1)
Slime (x1)
Diddy and Dixie Kong (x1)

JOE!

Smash Hero
....the heck would the DHD do as a character?

Like, how can you get 22+ inputs out of him?

Neutral B, Side B, Up B, Down B

A, Side A, Up A, Down A

Dash Attack

F Smash, Dsmash, U Smash

Nair, Fair, Bair, Uair, Dair

Grab/pummel, Fthrow, Bthrow, Uthrow, Dthrow

Then theres stuff like get up attacks, final smashes and the like

D

Deleted member

A, Side A, Up A, Down A

Dash Attack

F Smash, Dsmash, U Smash

When posting here, can you do at least one of these things?

- Rate how likely a candidate is.
- Rate how much you want the character.
- Nominate veterans and newcomers.
- Predict the score the newcomer (And in some cases, veterans) get tomorrow.

Make sure to read the OP in it's entirety before participating. If you have any questions, I will clear it up.

Barbasol

Smash Ace

A, Side A, Up A, Down A

Dash Attack

F Smash, Dsmash, U Smash

Anyone with the slightest amount of design talent won't hold moveset potential against a character.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
R.O.B is a great WTF characters: good history with Nintendo and good moveset. The only thing agaist him is the ammount of rage he recevied by some people, but if jgglypuff is still here with the hated than she have against her, R.O.B have no reason to worry.
93 %

DHD (or how i like to say Dog and Ducks) can be the R.O.B of SSB4 he is underrated by a lot of people, appaeared in many cameo in the years (he's last cameo at this point was two month ago in wii sport motion , and appeared at first not having a viable moveset.
One of his greateest treat for being retro representative in SSB4: Litle mac is not retro anymore.

So he's competition actual for a retro character (with sakurai quote yay =p) :
-Ballon Fighter: I don't remember this one but that was something like: He can't do anything without his balloons.
-Exite Biker: "We'd need to put ramps on all the stages."
-Bubbles: "can't fight"
-Urban Champion: "Only thing he can do is punch"
-Sukapon "Don't expect him in the future".
-Takamaru: Did this guy still retro after samurai warrior 3 ? Well i supposded than yes so bassicly this guy after what sakurai have said (something like if he appeared in a game again i will include him) is the most probable retro representative for SSB4.

But it is possible than sakurai considered the ducks more important as he said "ducks can't fight" with no mention to the dog and i don't remember the dog get any trophy or sticker so maybe he doesn't even care about him.

So I give a 45 % and a want level 5 (my second most wanted addition to the SSB4), let's hope he will gain at least a stage or assist trophy.

Nomination:
Doc Mario X5

Meowth X10

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
R.O.B: 81%

I wonder will we see this fella again. But if we will, we better get his own stage for him featuring Prof.Hector, and more R.O.B-themes, particularly the PROPER Gyromite-music.

DHD: 30%

I know this guy's very iconic and retro... but I wonder will Sakurai really feel like wanting to put energy on DHD to make him a moveset and such. It seems KINDA possible, but... I think if there were least thing you can do for this malicious mutt, it's being an assist trophy. (-l-l-) I think he's more ideal for that, since everyone's attention's gonna turn on him.

Unwanted. (2)

Nominating:

Newcomers:
x5 Mike Jones

Not for veterans this time.

Link2thelost90

Smash Lord
R.O.B - 94%
Want lv: 5

Duck Hunt Dog - 33%
Want lv: 3

Nominations :star:
Vets:
:metaknight: x2
:popo: x2
:sheik: x1

Newcomers:
Dr.Eggman x2
Felix x2
Flint x1

Predictions:
Tingle - 44%

Lightosia

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Light0sia
R.O.B.
A great addition for Brawl! He should stay.
I can say his chances are almost 100% if there is a new SSE.
R.O.B. was very focused in it.

98% 5-deserving

Duck Hunt Dog

Ehh? Why do people want him? Aren't G&W and R.O.B. enough WTF characters?
Meh, even Lip and Takamaru have way more chances than him.
For the fact that he would compete to other more popular and better characters I'm against his inclusion.

20%- 1-Against

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nominate (Veterans):
Young Link (x5)

Nominate (Newcomers):
Black Shadow (x5)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tingle-43%

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
If anything, the Hunter himself would be the character, and not the dog. The dog is a stupid meme that appears for two animations in the game.

SmashKing201

Smash Journeyman
Duck Hunt Dog (5) Deserving

He is deserving for being perhaps the most iconic retro character from the NES era and most remembered. Also being one of the mascot characters of the original NES during that time along with Mario, Link, and a small number of others before Metroid, Star Fox, & Pokemon came to the scene.

Predictability 45%

Though very deserving and lack of ideas of a move set is a bad excuse to not include a character, Balloon Fighter is perhaps the top candidate. And there are ton of Famicon characters like Takamaru & Sukapon who are well liked, yet they only appeared in Japan. Other than Balloon Fighter, the Duck Hunt Dog really has a good chance.

On another note:
Petition for "Duck Hunt Dog for Smash Bros 4".......coming soon to this forum.

D

Deleted member

Day has ended. I have got to get the ball rolling and stop forgetting the deadline.

@Link2thelost90: Sheik is On-Deck and will be polled today. You cannot nominate her.

Link2thelost90

Smash Lord
derp.. :facepalm:
Guess i'll switch my one nomination on sheik to Wario if its okay, if its not I'll settle with the +2 on ICs and MK

D

Deleted member

R.O.B. championed around the stage with an excellent 91.68%.

When Duck Hunt Dog saw his poor score of 30.92%, he did the unthinkable; tears came out of his face since it was anything but something he could smirk about.

Barbasol wins five veteran nominations and newcomer nominations. Give a round of applause towards him. *Applause*

Sheik and Tingle are up. Poll ends at 9:00 PM CST. On-deck are Young Link and Dr. Eggman. You may predict what both get tomorrow.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Shiek - 100%

As long as Zelda stays, she stays. They are the same person anyway. :awesome:

Tingle - 55%

As much as I hate him, and others do to. You can't deny his chances, due to character development, Japanese popularity and being a WTF character. Plus his only competition is another Link variation.

I hate him but can learn to live with him, just as long he isn't a unneeded 5th Zelda rep. I give him a 2.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
Shiek~ 96% She's become an integral part of Zelda's moveset. While only in one game, she's become very popular and wields a unique moveset.

Excuse me while I Tingle ~65% If Zelda is going to receive any newcomers, you can bet it's going to be Tingle. There's no competition. At all. He's a recurring character in a series filled with one-time characters. Ghirahim, Zant, Midna. All of them probably won't be appearing again, and won't make compelling or deserving additions.

Tingle has his own series, is well-liked in Japan, and has a no doubt unique style of movement going for him. Want Level- 3.

Thanks for the Nominations, y'all. *Bows*

Veteran- King Dedede x10

Newcomer
------------
Kamek x10

Prediction:
Young Link 6%
Dr. Robotnik 9.5%

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Shiek: 70%
I don't really know how they can go on including her despite the fact that OOT's long done game. If it's because to give Zelda more power and tactics to not make her weak, then it might be pretty dangerous on Zelda herself. (-l_i-)

Tingle: 72%

The japanese love this fella, and he's not some sort of NPC in Zelda-series- this guy's so popular, it's no wonder he has got his own spinoff series.

Also, what I love of this fella is that Nintendo's only time when they had parodied their famous franchises was only when Tingle involved. So far they poked fun at Zelda, Balloon Fight and Punchout (See the second boss battle in Tingle's Roseful Rupee Land)

He's one of the most unique and expressive characters of Nintendo- an absolutely great comic relief.
His game series really are bizarre but also one of the great ways to make you smile even in very stupid days. I admit the game's though sometimes tedious.
While I doubt it when he's in Smash, he'd show american people that he can pwn and is not a pedophile and very disturbing, unlike what many think.

For his moveset he'd use Rupees,Tingle Bombs, his Balloon, things from his games, etc. The Final Smash would be Rupee Cannon, or at least that Final Smash which is based on his Rupee Machine Gun-attack when he battled against Uncle Rupee in Tingle's Roseful Rupeeland: he can shoot out Rupee's in machine-gun style fashion which traps in enemies and deals LOTS OF DAMAGE, but no knockback. (Like Meowth's Pay Day in Brawl but much deadlier)

Ha! Yu! Koololimpah! (5) *Throws confetti*
(Deserving!)
Nominating:

Newcomers:

x5 Demille

Veterans:

5x Ice Climbers

JOE!

Smash Hero

Anyone with the slightest amount of design talent won't hold moveset potential against a character.
What are those from? and if anything Banjo-Kazooie does the whole Mammal + Abused bird weapon thing better...

Also like Khold said the dog only appears for 2 animations in the original game, the ducks had more significance.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
What are those from? and if anything Banjo-Kazooie does the whole Mammal + Abused bird weapon thing better...

Also like Khold said the dog only appears for 2 animations in the original game, the ducks had more significance.
One could then, in the same vein, argue that Captain Falcon is insignificant because his racer is all thats animated. Or Mario held less significance because he was merely a vessel with which to crush Goombas. Mind you, the dog was introduced first, and even through that handful of animations, we know a lot about his condescending view of inept hunters.

Duck Hunt Dog has cultural significance. He's iconic, especially to the NES generation, and like Mr. Game & Watch or R.O.B. did, best summarizes an era of Nintendo's history, in this case, the Light Gun games like Duck Hunt, Hogan's Alley, or Battle Clash.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
*applauds Barbasol for his achievement*

Sheik - 92%

Is Sheik important to her own series anymore? In general, no. She was a one-shot character. Although she of course appears in the OoT remake, it must be noted that it is merely a remake - it counts towards relevancy, but it doesn't count toward her significance or relevance to her own franchise as a whole.

However, Sheik has become a popular character in the Smash Bros. community and a unique transformation character when paired with Zelda - those alone should guarantee her return for SSB4.

Sheik may not be all too deserving based on the Zelda series, but based on the Smash Bros. seies, she's earned her spot. Wanted (4)

Tingle - 45%

Aah, Tingle. One of the most controversial and fiery characters we hear about in Smash Bros. debates, one of the most hated, yet most popular, characters in the Zelda series. If we get a new Zelda character, Tingle is the only likely choice; Toon Zelda only has her "Forbidden Seven" status to help her, and everyone else are usually one-shot characters.

Firstly, a new Zelda rep isn't likely at all. Second, although Tingle is apparently enjoyed in Japan given his spin-off series, it's counter-balanced by his hate here in America.

I personally don't expect Tingle in SSB4, but he has a chance, albeit a mediocre one.

Do I want to see Tingle in SSB4? On one hand, he may be a better rep than Toon Link, as he represents both the cel-shaded games and his own spin-off series. However, I find his design to be a negative stereotype of gay men, and so I don't find him appealing at all. Unwanted (2)

Nominations:
Toon Link x5
Midna x5

Predictions:
Young Link - 35%
Dr. Eggman - 35%

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman
Shiek- 100%. Zelda's definitely coming back and Shiek's coming with her.

Tingle- 50%
I really, really, really hate this guy. But he's popular in Japan and is more likely than any other new Zelda rep (why couldn't Midna have had multiple appearances?) So I'll give him a 50%.

Nominations
Veterans: Meta Knight x5
Newcomers: Black Shadow x2, Black Mage x3

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
Last time I checked, the dog doesn't do any of that stuff. Ever. It wouldn't even make any sense for him to use the gun in the first place. He's a meme. That's it. There is no way he's getting in bar an Assist Trophy or stage reference.

JOE!

Smash Hero
One could then, in the same vein, argue that Captain Falcon is insignificant because his racer is all thats animated. Or Mario held less significance because he was merely a vessel with which to crush Goombas. Mind you, the dog was introduced first, and even through that handful of animations, we know a lot about his condescending view of inept hunters.

Duck Hunt Dog has cultural significance. He's iconic, especially to the NES generation, and like Mr. Game & Watch or R.O.B. did, best summarizes an era of Nintendo's history, in this case, the Light Gun games like Duck Hunt, Hogan's Alley, or Battle Clash.
In that same light, at least both Cap and Mario *did things* in their games. DHD did nothing but jump to the background and occasionally laugh at you.

On top of that, Falcon's muscular super-hero build and bounty hunter background gave room to make a feasible moveset from, which was done in 64 by making him a kind of fist-fighter with some super-powers.

This brings up again: what can the DHD do? GW had a library of games from which his moves were derived, and ROB had the top and his features as a friggen ROBOT to work with, using his big arms, Light up "laser" eyes and base that looked like it could hold rockets for his moveset.

DHD isn't associated directly with anything of that sort, and the only other dogs I know of in VGs with potential all have a lot of aid:

Amaretsu from MvC3 has god powers and the like

Wolf Link has Midna on his back providing magic

The DHD has the player shooting ducks over his head and is mercifully immune to the same Light Gun.

If anything I'd love to see him as an assist trophy, but as a playable character? He has nothing going for him.

D

Deleted member

Sheik

Sheik is almost certainly coming back and the 3DS remake solidify that. I would be shocked to see her dropped.

99%

Tingle

I personally don't want a joke character which Tingle would likely be. He wouldn't be a clone, so that puts him above the god-awful Pichu, but I'd like for every character to be able to fight. Unwanted

Not rating Tingle in likeliness. My bias would interfere with it.

I predict Young Link gets a 42.19% and Dr. Eggman gets 10.21%.

D

Deleted member

Day has ended.

Will get the results out by 10:00 PM CST.

D

Deleted member

Sheik disappear after hearing that he earned himself a loafty score of 92.43%. Tingle was very unsure to think of his mediocre 49.50% so he walked off in a not-so-happy mood.

Barbasol wins five newcomer nominations. Congratulation for him to being the closest to predicting Tingle's score!

Up today are Young Link and Dr. Eggman. The poll ends at 8:00 PM CST. On-deck are Wario and Black Shadow, the latter of which can have it's score predicted for tomorrow.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Young Link - 30%

Dr. Eggman - 2%

Better as a boss. We already have Sonic as a rep. We don't need anymore characters from his franchise, and if we still did it would more than likely be Tails. I give him a 1.

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Young Link: 31%
Dr. Eggman: 11%

predictions:
Black Shadow: 38.3%

nominations:
Pit x5
Palutena x5

Barbasol

Smash Ace
Young Link ~3% Young Link was removed in favour of Toon Link for numerous reasons. Young Link is the inferior design, with less moveset potential. He was the precursor, but there's no way that Smash 4 would abandon a unique design in favour of generic. Want- 1

Dr. Robotnik~ 4% Dr. Robotnik is the other half of the Sonic franchise, the eternal villain, renown even more than Bowser. But he, as a fighter, has no potential. Dr. Robotnik on foot is a mere shadow of his normal self. Tails, Shadow, or Knuckles would probably make it in first, but that's not overly likely. It would be cool to see him in his Egg Walker, like he used in Sonic Adventure 2, but that's incredibly unlikely.
Want Level - 4

Predictions:
Black Shadow 48%

Nominations:
King Dayduhday x5
--
Kamek x7
Tails x1
Samurai Goroh x1
Sukapon x1

JOE!

Smash Hero
Majora's Mask begs to differ @ potential

although, you also say potential when Toon link, who could have used WW items became a Link Clone as well...

As for Eggman, he'd definatley appear in his little egg-hovercart if anything, and use machinery to do his dirty work. I'd fully imagine him havign a DDD Side B esque attack where he'd toss out/summon a badnik, as well as have attacks from the Egg Walker and memorable Boss moves (Such as The Big Ball as a Final Smash?)

How can you say the DHD has more potential than Eggman?

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
Don't have the time for any long reasons why or why not.

Young Link - 15%

An OoT remake isn't enough. At least Toon Link represents an entire line of games in the series.

Dr. Robotnik - 25%

Sega could ask Nintendo for a second Sonic character for the money it'd be worth, but Tails would make it before Dr. Robotnik would. And Sakurai is cautious about any third-party additions anyways.

Nominations:
Pichu x5
Dark Samus x5

Predictions:
Black Shadow - 55%

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Young Link 50% he may actually replace toon link since OoT has had a remake