• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic The Hedgehog: Community Matchup thread

What is Sonic's worst match up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Sonic won't have any greens. Ike and Bowser are both blue though.

Not many would debate Bowser, but I know a few people would argue Ike even.

I will debate my *** off on Ike.

But I guess that's for another time.

I'ma mark up Charizard as 45:55 on the chart now, yeah?

Squirtail and Ithysaws are still under debate.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
What is there to debate, Squirtle was agreed even, and Ivysaur is in Sonic's advantage. AFAIK we have taken care of everything and why people think otherwise is beyond me. We need to move on, I am getting tired of not making any progress.

Yet I still have no idea what is the ratio for Ivysaur, it was either a solid advantage (6:4) or only 55:45. Somebody tell me so I can do a write-up.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
We've been lingering on this a little bit too much, agreed.

45:55 Squirtle
45:55 Charizard
55:45 Ivysaur.

40:60 Pokemon Trainer.

IMO.

:093:

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Because PT's score isn't an average.

It's all 3 used in harmony, which pose a bigger threat as a team then individually.

Start with Squirtail, dthrow at 80%~, switch to someone who can kill, ****.

Pheonix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrostboltPhoenix
Maybe because 2/3 pokes are at an advantage?

Squirtle 50:50
Ivysaur 60:40
Charizard 45:55

PT is 50:50 maybe 55:45, just bait Charizards rock smash, our main problem and dont even try to gimp him because of super armor during up B

all of this is opinion of course

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I'm not sure how anybody could argue gray for Bowser. Well I could, but I'd strongly disagree. I disagree with a lot of stuff we've done so far, even the very first two match-ups here lol.

Right, I'm marking gray on Charizard and Squirtle, what about Ivy?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I think grey sounds fine for Ivysaur, and with that logic Roy I guess PT as a whole could be in their advntage... maybe only slightly.

Also Rick yes Diddy can throw Nanerz at your spin attacks and you will slip out of them.

I'll steal the next page for Diddy Kong... who wants to go send the invitation to the Kongs?

Also we need to relook some of these matchups, is DK really at an advantage over us now...?

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
Gray. Trust me on this. The naners are a great help if you can catch them, but diddy's glide toss benefits him better. His ground game is a little better than us, and the dreaded naner combo is horrid. Its a fun fight to despite that. I say gray, sorry, Chis...

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Diddy's annoying. The best strategy I came up with is to be counter annoying. Spinshot spring. Run around like an idiot. It's all about tricking the opponent into leaving an opening. I know EVERYONE is like that but with Diddy it's moreso. We have the mobility to avoid the bananas but it's under HIS terms unfortunately. It's winnable almost solely because we can attack while running over his bananas and basically stall until that opening occurs. That's not really an advantage for us though. It's more of a... well at LEAST we have this. It's more about bait and punish than any other matchup IMO. Almost like Melee. First one to **** up loses a stock except this is Brawl so first one to mess up takes about 40 damage and you start all over.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
SM5, we're talking about wather Ivy should be grey or blue... at least I think so anyway...

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I'm making Ivy gray. Gimpability =/= advantage.
Most people seem to agree anyways.

Diddy, ehh. It's really a momentum based game, as Diddy is that kind of opponent. We have the tools to mess with Diddy's stage control, I can't see this being any worse then 50:50.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Diddy has a lot of problems when he loses momentum, let's work on how to deal with Naners first.

Who's going to make the thread export at the Diddy boards?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Not me, last time I made an export, Booze closed my thread.

Also I agree with an even matchup, it's all about who gets momentum and keeps it stable, anybody who disagrees needs some kind of help.

But yeah, 15th post, please don't post.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
*Cough* Because I know some people might go ahead and post anyways... Sorry Xeevee, go ahead and infract me if you see this...

Diddy Kong

Introduction:diddy Kong is Donkey's nephew, now while he might not be related in power, he sure can hold his own ground with his gadgets. He's got Barrel Rockets, popguns, and Banana Peels... don't be fooled by their primitive appearance! Welcome to the jungle...

Behaviour: Diddy Kong is a lot like Sonic that he is a very momentum-based character and relies on keeping the pressure. Some Diddy Kongs might prefer to have one or two Banana Peels on the field, or perhaps not at all, it depends from Kong to Kong. Diddy has a decent recovery, being able to use both his Side-B (Monkey Hump) and his Up-B (Rocket Barrel) as a means of getting back to the stage... you know, Diddy is floaty enough where if you send him at a high angle, all he will really need to do is just Side-B and freefall to the ledge.

Commonly Used Moves: Let's start with the expected stuff... Diddy's Dash attack is used quite often and for a lot of purposes. It let's Diddy pick up any of his Nanerz that might be out on the field, it is sparingly used as an approach, and has zero lag at the end, so Diddy can follow up with whatever he pleases. Monkey jump has two purposes: 1 - recovery, 2 - disrupt your approaches. diddy may attach on to you with this, or he may throw out his leg to hit you. Now while not used too often unless necessary, diddy can use the Rocket Barrels on his back as a recovery/spike/damage. Diddy may Barrel-cancel on top of a Banana that is under your control, don't give him time to do it, those puppies hurt like a truck! He may also control which direction/angle he fires during the charge-up, I hope you know basic Geometry... All of Diddy's smashes come out fast, and can be followed up from any of his combos (yes, diddy has true combos!). Beware the DTilts, they can follow up one after another, and can rack up some decent damage, they also have considerable range on them!

How to Win: This Kong has the same problems as you do, a lack of killing potential, needs to manintain the momentum to be of any real danger, and more or less poor aerial mobility. He may also have things that are gonig for him, but he also has more problems than you. Let's take a look at his pros.

- Can combo.

- Can easily take control of Bananas since he is the one who throws them out.

Okay, so with all that said, what are his cons?

- Light weight.

- Rocket Barrel recovery is easy to see comnig as trying to gain its full benefit takes time.

- Arguably has the same range as you if not less.

- Defenitely less K.O. power than you.

Now with all this said, what does this tell you? Simple, Diddy Kong is another form of Sonic! It's liek fighting yourself... except with more tripping. :laugh:

Okay but seriously, if teh both of you are at the top of your game, two things can happen.

1. The game goes by so slowly, the timer will run out by the time both of you are above 100% and on your last stock.

OR!

2. The game goes very fast-paced. You two will fight for control of the Banana/s Diddy deploys, both of you are aggresive, and you will only have nano seconds to come up with a stratigy.

Now for specific things you can do to counter Diddy... Know this. a well-timed Spring drop will always beat Diddy's Rocket Barrel recovery. Make sure if you're going to try to gimp him offstage that you learn diddy's recovery path, and keep dropping a Spring on his head for 4% extra damage until he gives up/you/Diddy mess up. always change up your game, don't let Diddy read your playstyle, and don't give him anytime to think stratigy. There are more opportunities to set up for the kill when you fight Diddy Kong. Also know that you more or less outrange diddy on a couple of his attacks, so feel free to be a little bit more loose on the spacing.

Recommended Stages: Feel free to take diddy Kong anywhere you please. Chances are you are neutral with Diddy Kong or he gets a disadvantage. This is assuming you are at the top of your game.

Matchup Summary: 50:50 dead even depending on the situation. This fight is very momentum based and requires both players to always be on top of their toes, and even moreso when Diddy brings out ther nanerz.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
It's a momentum game.

Beware the banana's, and get them under your controler ASAP and keep them that way.

Just make sure to use bananas against him, and he'll lose a lot of momentum, most likely get frustrated (Diddy's hate it when you use their move against them), and if he's smart he'll narrow it down to 1 banana or no bananas. Then its even more neutral.

I say 55:45 Diddy or 50:50. More leniant towards 50:50 because Sonics give my Diddy trouble.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Do people even fill this in anymore...

Character Behaviour- Diddy Kong is a naturally offensive character, however he can turn the game around and go to defensive mode. He can switch from defence to offence quickly. Shieldgrabbed attacks will lead into throws which lead into followup banana C-C-C-COMBOS. Spindash rolls over NAHNURZ

Commonly Used Moves- Banana, but Sonic is probably one of the better counters against them. F-smash, D-smash and F-air are all fairly good Diddy killers
Another good move is B-air, it's kind of like F-air. Diddy's N-air is practicly useless. D-air can spike at 50%. Diddy's aerial game is better than his ground game (I think :p)
D-tilt stops Sonic approach
How to Win- Take his banana's and throw them back. If you want to master this matchup, practice the bananas, find out what's best to use. Sonic can glide toss. Spindashes will always be a nice approach, a golden olden one. SDR > SDJ > Aerial/spring will nearly always do it. Outrange his with U-air. Approaching with SH F-air could also work. Being shielded isn't terrible, just try push trough him. Diddy doesn't have a terrible recovery, but Sonic's is better. Gimping is possible, but your regular F-smash will be your killer.

Recommended Stages- No idea, try Frigate Orpheon for fun.

Matchup Summary- Lol, I'd either say 60:40 Diddy or 55:45. Diddy just has some advantages over him. It just gives you the feeling when you fight a Falco. You can't describe why he has the advantage over you.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Diddy does not have the advantage at the very least not a big one, he has nothing in his game that can be used on a consistent basis that hard counters Sonic. Without Popguns ammunition and Nanerz, Diddy has about the same range on his attacks as Sonic if not less, is light, and without gimp K.O.s or setups it is very hard for Diddy to Kill anybody outright. ot to mention you can gimp Diddy's Barrel recovery with your Spring as you can hit him out of it, and keep repeating the process like what can be done with Ike's Aether. Situational, but it's still there and can still be done, which is why a 50:50 matchup is fortified.

Also don't be a robot G2, that's just a guideline for newbies to follow when they read this junk.

Top Bottom