• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

**Diddy Kong [Old] General Match-Ups**

DFEAR

Smash Hero
Lets discuss Pit.
as i said earlier. he is literally my ALL time HARDEST matchup. 10x worse than any falco/luigi/marth or any of my "bad" matchups :\.

ill give a good example of what i mean. pits i face will go straight towards the edge but first they will begin shooting arrows beginning of match while u attempt to pluck bananas thus u giving them free 5-11% dmg from first stock/match. then as u approach they nair/dtilt/fair/upb>anything in ur face to stop ur approach including sideb D=<!! they then get the ledge ff>sh shoot arrow>sh shoot arrow> grab ledge > rinse> repeat until opponent catches on and they approach. once u do they will ff>sh upair/fair u or run away underneath the stage and good pits wnt just go one way while theyre in their upb animation. they mind game u O_<. another example of this would be a friend of mine named Raven/Neil once i get past his assholish defenses he runs away and upb's i then try to run to other side of stage but in vain : <

etc etc pit is evil : <

Count

Smash Champion
Good Idea-last tourney I was at I beat a MK on LC, he went pit and took me to delfino, ledgecamped me and I got beat fairly easily. I took him to smashville and won, but a ledgecamping pit is a big problem. Ideas to beat this?

DFEAR

Smash Hero
Good Idea-last tourney I was at I beat a MK on LC, he went pit and took me to delfino, ledgecamped me and I got beat fairly easily. I took him to smashville and won, but a ledgecamping pit is a big problem. Ideas to beat this?
to my knowledge z dropping was very effective. cuz the hit stun is long enough to time a good spike. it might not kill but why not ya know.

Player-1

Smash Legend
I don't see how Pit ledgecamped you on Delfino easier than SV, Delfino doesn't always have ledges >.>

Count

Smash Champion
I don't see how Pit ledgecamped you on Delfino easier than SV, Delfino doesn't always have ledges >.>
Yeah I ***** him on the parts where there is no ledges, but when there was ledges he also flew under the stage and uaired me and shot arrows at me from each side. SV was too small for him and anytime he was on the stage he got wrecked.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
thats pits weakness...no edges or places where he cannot get under

cp yoshis, pokemon stadium, etc o-o

Emo^Wolf

Smash Journeyman
and why would u side b if you can just cypher grab him and then spike if he survives that xD. much easier

and who are we talking about now o-o im so lost lol
yea i know about the cypher grab but i mean if i jump out the stage and follow him and preduc when hes going to cypher you know what i mean. or should i not even bother trying it?

ADHD

Smash Hero
If you grab snake over the edge just in general, keep pressing A and holding down so when he breaks out if he jumps up there's a good chance the dtilt will hit him if you spam it, then you can spike him. It's not gauranteed but it's a cool trick :psycho:

Emo^Wolf

Smash Journeyman
If you grab snake over the edge just in general, keep pressing A and holding down so when he breaks out if he jumps up there's a good chance the dtilt will hit him if you spam it, then you can spike him. It's not gauranteed but it's a cool trick :psycho:
yeaa ive donee thatt beforee and it works thnkss dawggggg any other hints on didddy

Adetque

Smash Apprentice
If you crouch and both Pit and you are at the same height, the arrows will go over your head.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
Pit doesn't seem that bad. The only pro's he seems to have are his annoying arrows, and his edgecamping game. I think I will post in the matchup thread on the Pit boards to see if they have anything to contribute.

as i said earlier. he is literally my ALL time HARDEST matchup. 10x worse than any falco/luigi/marth or any of my "bad" matchups :\.
Really? Thats suprising to me. Olimar, Marth and Snake are the oponents I hate.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Pit might go even with diddy to slightly in his favor. I think this matchup is really stage dependant, avoid any stage with large space like halberd or FD because it drastically makes him better against you and you will constantly be chasing him. It seems pit has a really hard time finding kill opportunities.

Lets go over sheik, this matchup hasn't been talked about yet and it's freakin weird.

Defect

Smash Rookie
thing i notice at least with my friend that plays sheik is that her dash is fast but is punishable if shielded, her tilt lock isnt as effective as her doing it on fox but is still a good set up for other moves like a brutal sweet spotted up smash. Sheik's needles hurt like hell and are very annoying, im not sure if they can stop you as your rockets boost you up but i do believe they stop u as ur charging them, then you fall to your doom. her fair can be used to follow up off stage and to egde guard. if im right her up-b is her like 2nd best killer and her up smash is her best, so if ur both off stage watch out for that they might try n get you with the up-b and recover. also one more thing is while you on the egde they might try and bair for the stage spike then egde hog you. but this is me vs my friend so yeah.

-EDIT-
oh yeah, her down smash comes out lightning fast and has multiple boxes which might hit you even after you spot dodge. and can be used as a "get the hell away from me" move

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Against Pit you guys want to avoid stages with semi-soft floors-- Halberd, Delfino, Distant Planet, etc. Ledgecamping aside, if he forces you to up-B to recover, he can grab the edge to force you onto the stage and then come up from under the stage to bair you out of the landing lag. This is one of Pit's few reliable ways of killing Diddy.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Discussing my favorite angel without me huh? Well, let's see what I can do here.

While reading some of the comments on previous pages starting from #789 from DFEAR's post, some of you think he's decent, and some of u have more problems with him than a campy TL. Well, you should. Pit is one of them characters that can put the pressure on Diddy when applied right.

Pit is a mediumweight, while many of you still think he's light, he's the middle of the mediums, still seems light to you.... well comparing him to Bowser for sure, but heavier than Marth to give you an ideal.

Now I believe one of the problems that players have with Pit is his excellent ledgecamp game. Arrow after arrow, able to poke with F-airs and U-airs, possibility to come up the stage with an Angel Ring, that and much more. Pit is one of the best ledgecampers in the game after all.
The other problem you seem to be talking about are his arrows. Surely Pit's arrows are one of the most important moves to a Pit, it makes up part of his ability to gimp, to defend, to support partners in doubles. etc. but it's generally one of his main moves, like his jab.

In a match like this, as Pit, knowing that many Diddys rely on those naners, this is actually like the one time I ALMOST spam Angel Ring, and if Diddy tosses it in my reflector, the naner's ours, til you dash attack grab the thing again, probably into Angel Ring. Mirror Shield is more risky to me, for if the naner doesnt trigger the mirror shield but if it's still super close to Pit, Pit's going to trip, leaving us open. That's where the decision has to be made for us Pits; use Mirror Shield for less lag, but vulnerable to grabs, or Angel Ring and a bigger chance to get punished.
This is where a Pit who loves reflectors can trouble you. You'll have to rely on Mindgames to help you out. Try to trick the Pit into using his reflector, but different Pits respond differently, so try to get to know the Pit more.

In the air, Pit and Diddy got about even range, but for some reason I believe Diddy has slightly better range with F-air, but Pit prefers pressuring moves, something that's a bit harder to airdodge than basic moves, and that's where Pit's N-airs, U-airs, and B-air's lingering hitbox comes to play.
Now, should you get a Pit offstage, if he glides, your best bet is to either shoot peanuts or time an F-air to knock him back. You want to stop Pit at all times before he can get into the Ledgecamp position. If you choose to pursue the Pit with a B-air hoping for a Stage spike, you better hope you hit him, or a good Pit can quickly regain control and may cost you a stock. Pit's Up-B, when used near the ledge allows Pit to quickly grab on to the ledge again, and he can do this to edgehog you.

Ah yes, I forgot, about the naners again. If a Pit gets a naner, he can alternate between arrows and throwing it. However, that's not what you should be weary of.
Pit's glidetoss is simply a super long and fast slide, probably makes up half of FD. It may be small advice but it still is advice.

In our Stage guide it says that you can counter Pit on FD and Yoshi's Island.
-YI shy guys stop our arrows and we cant glide under the stage.
-FD is flat, diddy's best stage anyways.

We can Counter you with Norfair, Lylat, and Rainbow Cruise.
-I dont have full experience on Rainbow cruise, but i know it messes up your naners.
-Norfair's lava and small platforms stop naner game easily, AND Pit can ledgecamp even more here, using the Up-B sweetspot to go from platform to platform easily and quickly. Mirror Shield also blocks 2 of 4 of the Norfair Lava Hazards.
-Lylat's tilting stage is enough. Pit can control his arrows in ways to counter the stage's tilt. This messes up your recovery more than Pit's, and Pit can even use the tilted stage to his advantage to poke at you with U-air under stage while ledgecamping.

Overall I find this match to be 50-50 even, with Diddy's Naners and some priority (F-air) against Pit's reflectors, arrows and ledgecamp game. Stages can easily change the tide here.

If you need anything regarding Pit, you can contact me and I should be able to help you. You can get me on AIM "goldadmiralpit" if you want to talk or enter the Pit chatroom http://kite-string.com/pit/chatroom/ (Please be nice there -_-).

PS: Call me Admiral Pit ^_^

DFEAR

Smash Hero
ty admiral bowser u helped me slightly in pit knowledge =D

and @ sheik..just watch out while recovering, those needles :\ sucks when ur charging up b and she sh needles u xD. but lol its obvious when its coming :p. but regardless i have little to none experience in the sheik matchup. just watch out for her ftilt/uptilt combos and space well o-o and mindgames ftw?

Player-1

Smash Legend
I've played a pretty good Sheik player at an IRL tournament and a few online and I can tell you that his up-b is pretty punishibable. The one i played in the tournament, I fsmashed him off the ledge and then got on the edge so she can't use her chain to recover, it forced the player to up-b onto the stage, I just hopped up from the edge as soon as I saw the animation for it, and just Bthrowed him, and kept doing it to 70%, IDK know a lot about the matchup even though I play Sheik players somewhat regularly, I'll just have to study what I do next time.

cheesdog

Smash Cadet
I like this discussion, because at one point my main was Pit and now it has shifted to diddy. I put the fight in favor of Pit mainly because he can reflect the bananas, and he is an excellent edge guard. Diddy would have a better chance on large flat levels, but anything that has multiple levels makes it even harder to throw bananas. Not that bananas are his only weapon, but they are the deciding factor in a lot of matchups.

Sheik, on the other hand, is fast and kinda heavy, but he does not have anything in the way of banana protection. IT is also pretty easy to edge guard sheik because his teleport is so short.

55-45 Pit

60-40 Diddy

BoRn

Smash Apprentice
I play ky, a top tier pit player, He is in my local area crew. You have to maintain control of the stage. Also picking stages that pit cant fly under or through like fd delfino halbird etc. Make it harder for him to recover and so much easier to gimp. Most pits love glide tossing into f smash when they get ahold of bananas so bait n catch. Z drop is amazing against this match up. Use it to mix things up, dont just throw the banana everytime u get ahold of it. Pit can reflect it easily, instead i glide toss down alot especially when close range to get it under their feet. Baitin their refectors then z drop cross over bair is a great way to bypass and open combo chains.
I honestly feel its more in diddys favor but on delfino and halbird its more even. Look out for fair and or mirror sheilds on recovery ;)

DFEAR

Smash Hero
we got barely any info on shiek anymore... post or move on to pickachu perhaps o-o?

fource

Smash Lord
NNID
LeThienWasMyHero
Just wondering, can Pit chain-grab Diddy?
I think he might be able to do it twice but that's all.

Thank you AdmiralPit btw, that helped a lot

DFEAR

Smash Hero
Just wondering, can Pit chain-grab Diddy?
I think he might be able to do it twice but that's all.

Thank you AdmiralPit btw, that helped a lot
yea. just do NOT airdodge after he grabs u!!! just smash di away!

ADHD

Smash Hero
Also, always ban FD against pit if its in tourney. Every other stage is fine, just FD. You will be constantly chasing after him..

DFEAR

Smash Hero
is battlefield any good against pit?
i found that the platforms prevent arrow spamming from above sometimes, and pit wont usually run away on it.
lol any stage that an be flown under a pit WILL run xD its proven statistic lolz

Coffee™

I need it....
yea. just do NOT airdodge after he grabs u!!! just smash di away!
DIing away is not the greatest idea either as he'll probably just follow up with a Dash Attack which can link to other moves. It would probably be best if you just tried to jump and airdodge out of it after the second or third grab, whatever it is.

is battlefield any good against pit?
i found that the platforms prevent arrow spamming from above sometimes, and pit wont usually run away on it.
Pits generally like stages with platforms, they should only really hinder his arrows if he tries doing something fancy (not pratical) with them.

Also, always ban FD against pit if its in tourney. Every other stage is fine, just FD. You will be constantly chasing after him..
Banning FD won't make much of a difference. Its a decent stage for Diddy and you have other worse concerns in the matchup like Brinstar, Delfino, JJapes, RC and Norfair.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
*hisses at pit player* what ya doin in mah boards D=< we dnt like ur kind round here boy.

but glad ya put that info it helps with teh mindgames :3. we gotta play more often neil. live closer!

sasook

Smash Champion
Link Matchup

The Link boards are discussing Diddy Kong. Your input is appreciated.

http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?pid=686032#p686032

Before you go "LOL AIB noobs, forget them" just realize it's the SWF Links you're talking to, just not at SWF. We moved to AiB (it's a long story). Anyway, thanks in advance.

Btw (we had to do this with the R.O.B. boards), if many people here don't have AiB accounts, we could discuss the matchup here on your boards. Whether or not a topic shall be made is up to your mod. If you all have AiB accounts though, great.

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
The Link boards are discussing Diddy Kong. Your input is appreciated.

http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?pid=686032#p686032

Before you go "LOL AIB noobs, forget them" just realize it's the SWF Links you're talking to, just not at SWF. We moved to AiB (it's a long story). Anyway, thanks in advance.

Btw (we had to do this with the R.O.B. boards), if many people here don't have AiB accounts, we could discuss the matchup here on your boards. Whether or not a topic shall be made is up to your mod. If you all have AiB accounts though, great.
darn it, you beat me to it sasook <_<
yes please post information regarding the Link matchup

Coyn3Masta

Smash Journeyman
i've never really played a good link, so i can't help with that matchup lol

Anyway, Any advice on how to get around pits extreme ledgecamping =/?

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
I need helpful tips and ideas against Peach. I keep running into Peachkid in tourney's and the matches are close but he usually pulls out ahead. What're good and bad stages for her, and any tips you guys can provide other than "Wait for her to land and fling bananas than"

I'm sick of getting denied better placement cause of this silly match up.

Top Bottom