• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Mexico Thread LIKE THE DESERTS MISS THE RAIN

Ax00x0

Smash Apprentice
I'll throw my 2 cents down:

As for the doubles chain grab (grab release > grab by other partner) that stupid **** is banned. Any and all things that are debateable can be debated upon by us, the NM smashers. I'm tired of relying on a bunch of morons (read: the back room) only to get rulesets that essentially CRAVE the stagnation, and ultimately, the failure of Brawl's metagame.
Agreed, SBR can reall go suck a fat one. I'd really be all for severing from them completely after Genesis, in fact. And agreed on the doubles infinite grabs.

Things to be debated upon:

DDD's standing infinite- currently banned, and for good reason

IC's infinites- takes a lot more skill to perform than DDD's, but they can use a limitation if need be

Pikachu's buffered CG's- I don't know how difficult these may be, but in all honesty I believe they should at the very least be limited to something like 50% or so. Pika against Falco/fox/Wolf are ALL unwinnable for the spacies anymore. Sad story.
I may be the vocal minority here, but in my views, ALL CG's should have a cap of 3, with standing infities (DDD, all those who can abuse Wario/Ness) flat out banned. The reason is simple: even if you don't get 0-death from Falco or whoever, you're still getting a guarenteed 30%+ damage, situations permitted, all because your opponent can hit V+Z. This wouldn't make match ups like Wario vs DDD, DK vs Wario, Falco vs Everyone, etc. horribly one sided match ups. There just ins't a good reason a handful of the cast should get a lot of free damage for doing minimal work.

For specifics, I agree with the DDD, Goyf presents a good argument for the IC but they could probably use a limitation if need be, and I dunno enough about Pika's to give an opinion.

Planking- banned as of now, but if you guys absolutely want it for whatever reason, we can talk about it
Like Goyf said, what are the specifics about this? I'm interested because as Pit main, I end up using the ledge a lot, obviously.

Trash-talk/rage during and after matches- sportsmanship's a must guys, if anything this is just a reminder but we need to keep our cool in and out of match, as well as not seem condescending/discouraging to new people that come to the scene
No argument here.

Double blind picks- the first round sets the tone for the rest of the set in any match. Being that we all know each other's mains pretty well, we need to start doing double blind picking processes, starting with this Saturday.

MK- what I just stated above goes hand in hand with what I'm about to say; if you plan on choosing MK for the first round in the set, I believe your opponent should be allowed to choose their best character against you. The reasoning behind this is simple: MK has no bad match-ups, only even ones, those in his favor, and those that can be won without use of the c-stick or A button. The most this rule could do is to make it an even game.
Agreed, especially since it hasn't been monitored in the last few tournies...not that there is anyone specific to blame, just saying. Also agree with the MK rule, but a better one would be "How 'bout we all not be gay and don't use him."

Stage legality- What should be banned? What shouldn't? I'd like for us to discuss PS1 as a starter in place of Lylat, as well as pictochat being made legal again.
I'd say no for PS1 being neutral-too much random ****, there's the glitch on the desert part where you can't rolldoge on the right edge, the EDGES in general are ******** and hard to grab/use...counter pick for sure, but neutral? No. I don't care about Lylat one way or another, but it can be neutral.

I'd want Norfair and Pictochat legal, especially since Norfair helps for a lot of matches (Snake, ROB, etc.) I'm not too adament on Pictochat or Pirate ship, but I'd be more for chat and less for ship. But whatever.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
ive never cried at any sort of movie/game/song (closest would be mother 3 and the goodnight kiss part of dream theater's 6 degrees of inner turbulence). not sure if that makes me a heartless ******* or not.

anyway, imma try to make the nm combo vid (its both brawl and melee) before the school year ends (cause my editing equipment if on my comp at school). i expect people to start recording their matches and sending them to me so i can get this **** started. so far im working on the opening sequence. i wanna se some cool combos this saturday!
All it means is you have never had a strong enough connection with any of them.

Funny, I just deleted every video of Smash ever recorded of me. I had good stuff, too.

Please excuse my ignorance, but why should infinites be legal? There's a reason that stages with permanent walls were banned in Melee, so what makes inifinites any less dumb in Brawl? From what I've seen, they're everywhere, they're easier to do, and they are easier to initiate. So, when the ICs can infinite CG to stall the match, or to get an auto-kill, what's not broken with that? Walker tried to say it was difficult to initiate, but I call shenanigans.
I call shenanigans. Not on you.

the thing with ics is that their game revolves around the infinites (im probably way wrong on that one, but that's what i understand). taking away the infintes means the ics are incredably useless (again, probably wrong)
No, there game does not revolve around infinites. They are plenty good without them.

Holy ****. There is a lot of things going on.

Also, this goes to everyone.

Don't ever call me.
Why is that?

EDIT: Who wants to go to S.W.A.T.? It is May 23rd. It is nine hours away and ten if we pass through El Paso.

I figure if we take a car Arturo can house us for one night then we can finish the trip the next with El Paso.

Dekar173

Justice Man
Remember, Smash tourneys tomorrow start at 4:30, then SF4 starts at 6.

Two weeks from now, we will be hosting what is essentially the same event (bi-weeklies!)

THEN, on either May 16th or May 30th (roughly one month from now, mainly dependent on what works for EVERYONE) we will be hosting what will hopefully be a much higher turn out Brawl tourney, where El Paso, Amarillo, and CO will be invited (because they've all expressed interest in showing up to one of if not more of our tourneys, if we can get a high turnout ;))

SO, when we are running said tournament, the only thing different from our bi-weeklies will be the entry fee.
$5 venue still
$5/partner for doubles still
but $10 for singles entry

k? K! Sounds great.

August, Neil, and Steven, what are your email addresses? PM them to me :o

tw1n

Smash Champion
August wobbling in melee is done with popo's headbutt and nana's f-tilt or d-tilt. F-tilt is preferred.
However, I'm unfamiliar with nana jabbing. it's possible, I guess...ask wobbles.

David, I am going to be an elitist *** and not team with you.
not because you suck
but because real melee teams aren't going to happen anyway
We should do random teams out of a hat again, and everyone is required to enter. One quarter per team member for an entry fee.

We should also do a one-quarter-per-member entry fee for a FFA melee tourney, just for the nostalgia :p
We should even do a melee tourney with items and banned stages for MORE nostalgia :lick:
1) As far as my research and experiments have shown, you cannot wobble using jab. Only f or d-tilts.

2) Its all good =D Random teams are more fun lol
Dang, NM Brawl trny rules are like a Helen of Troy with a chastity belt on.
Ha ha I'm stealing this line.

Also, this goes to everyone.

Don't ever call me.
But I thought you liked our phone sex... who am I gonna call now???

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
THEN, on either May 16th or May 30th (roughly one month from now, mainly dependent on what works for EVERYONE) we will be hosting what will hopefully be a much higher turn out Brawl tourney, where El Paso, Amarillo, and CO will be invited (because they've all expressed interest in showing up to one of if not more of our tourneys, if we can get a high turnout ;))

SO, when we are running said tournament, the only thing different from our bi-weeklies will be the entry fee.
$5 venue still
$5/partner for doubles still
but $10 for singles entry

k? K! Sounds great.
we should probably up it to 20 and make it a bigger event if we are going to try and convince OOSers to come. Other than that, great.

Major EDIT:
Depending on what one you chose. Diamond membership, for example gives you acess to the Broom/Sbroom. The lower ones also let you do things like custom titles, avatars, ect.
So if you give Smashboards money, you get into the back room. Lets pay money to ban MK!

.... but seriously, isn't the point of bein a broomer to be an intelligent, well versed theorist, or a top player? WTF?

LOL, and they don't offer premium membership anymore. I'm a nub.

KitsuneXXX

Smash Cadet
Casey, my email is: zapatamanzero@hotmail.com

I want to know what's wrong with the double grab infinite. If it's 2v1, the team on it's last leg is going to lose anyway, so might as well finish up that last stock quickly...

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master

I want to know what's wrong with the double grab infinite. If it's 2v1, the team on it's last leg is going to lose anyway, so might as well finish up that last stock quickly...
I've seen quite a few comebacks in brawl. The 1 actually has a chance if they have good range, or good air speed. Or are named MK. But really, it removes the ability to come back when it is legal.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master

Not necessarily. The odds are already incredibly stacked against them, but that shouldn't give someone the okay to go, "Alright, well, since it is already terribly difficult might as well make it impossible, right?" Wrong.

If anything I find the hardest part about 2v1 is stale moves. I don't think any character really has more than two or three solid kill moves aside from, say, Donkey Kong. Assuming your kill move isn't stale already you have to land it, which is hard as is, AND it has to kill or else you are automatically ****ed. You can rack up all the damage in the world, but killing them and taking it to one on one is the hard part and then past that to victory.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
About having OOSers come, we probably would need a little bit bigger venue.

tw1n

Smash Champion
I've seen quite a few comebacks in brawl. The 1 actually has a chance if they have good range, or good air speed. Or are named MK. But really, it removes the ability to come back when it is legal.
So sad but true. Unless of course (which odds are it it is) the other team also has a MetaKnight... then its pretty much game over

Sliraobe God

Smash Apprentice
Casey - my email is imngoel@yahoo.com
A pretty generic, boring email account if you ask me :(

I'm not going to associate with brawl's ruleset, particularly because I don't know anything.
Although I can still say that the best 2v1 player in the world is ISAIAHHHHHHHHHHH
especially when he's sandbagging. Check out this video where he is sandbagging really hard:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4ydVnIhdoA
this one too, but bad quality http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0C3qPyChV8

Are we doing anything next weekend?

tekkie

Smash Master
Dang, NM Brawl trny rules are like a Helen of Troy with a chastity belt on.
That sexy, huh?

1) As far as my research and experiments have shown, you cannot wobble using jab. Only f or d-tilts.
Sounds right. All I've ever thought about it was hold forward a little -> WHAPWHAPWHAPWHAPWHAP

Are we doing anything next weekend?
WAFFLE CLUB EXTRAVAGANZA

actually, I heard something about UNM's anime club tournament.

GoldenGlove

Smash Ace
Well ****. Sorry guys, but it doesn't look like I'm going to make it to the tourney. I've got a Government project to work on as well church at 5:30.

KitsuneXXX

Smash Cadet
Uh oh. Well, I'll be bringing an SFIV setup, but someone should alert the srk guys (if they are coming) to bring more.

GoldenGlove

Smash Ace
I've done a decent amount of work on my Gov. poster, so I'll go ahead and show up with my PS3 and TV. I won't be entering anything though, considering I'll have to leave around 5:00 and return after church ends at around 6:30.

Kirbster13

Smash Cadet
Results for the April 18th tournament:

Brawl Singles:

1: Kash ($35.00)
2: Alpha ($35.00)
3: Goyf ($10.00)
4: Beave
5: Z-Man
5: Dekar
7: Cake
7: Overgames
9: Jt!
9: Ax
9: Xion
9: Itachi
13: HIV+
13: GoldenGlove
13: Tekkie
13: Havox

Brawl Doubles:

1: Kash is Cooler Than Overgames (Kash + Overgames) ($40.00)
2: Sakurai's Wet Dream (Alpha + GoldenGlove) ($28.00)
3: Crabtossers (Jt! + Ax)
4: No Worry Beef Curry (Molls + Dekar)
5: Camel Toe (Z-Man + Xion)
5: Emag Eht (Beave + Walker)
7: ??? (Lewis + HIV+ )
7: Level 10 CPU (Isac + Lvl. 9)

Melee:

1: HIV+ ($20.00)
2: Alpha ($12.00)
3: Twin_A ($8.00)
4: Kit
5: Tw1n
6: GoldenGlove
7: Oops
8: Havox

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Results for the April 18th tournament:

Brawl Singles:

1: Kash ($35.00)Wolf/Falco
2: Alpha ($35.00)DDD/Falco/MK don't know for sure. Will someone tell me?
3: Goyf ($10.00)ICs/Jigglypuff
4: Beavelucario
5: Z-ManDDD/Lucas
5: Dekardiddy
7: CakeMK???
7: OvergamesLuigi/marth?
9: Jt!
9: Ax
9: Xion
9: Itachi
13: HIV+
13: GoldenGlove
Will someone else fill in the unknowns? I want to start reporting to Ankoku's thread.

The whole tournies=lolmatch-ups. Fail fail fail
Welcome to brawl. Just ditto the MK.

So, I'm going to main ICs. I really like them, and not just because of the CGs.

Ax00x0

Smash Apprentice
1: Kash ($35.00)Wolf/Falco
2: Alpha ($35.00)DDD/Falco/MK don't know for sure. Will someone tell me?
3: Goyf ($10.00)Ics/Jigglypuff
4: Beavelucario
5: Z-ManDDD/Lucas
5: Dekardiddy
7: Cake--MK
7: OvergamesLuigi/marth?
9: Jt!--ROB/Falco
9: Ax--Pit/Wario
9: Xion--Fox/Ike?
9: Itachi--Lucario....someone else?
13: HIV+--ROB...not sure who else?
13: GoldenGlove--Bowser, lulz

Welcome to brawl. Just ditto the MK.
Incorrect attitude. Better response: hold off on all tournies until after Genesis, save for anime. No use throwing my money away every 2 weeks.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Incorrect attitude. Better response: hold off on all tournies until after Genesis, save for anime. No use throwing my money away every 2 weeks.
Nice sarcasam decector. I don't really think just MK dittoing is any good. I'm not going to ditto any MKs anymore. It doesn't help me improve, it doesn't help the metagame, it doesn't do anything. Just because MK is totally stupid doesn't mean quitting the scene. Tthat only helps it become stagnant. And there will be even more MKs at genesis. Better to throw away 15 dollars than 200+amirite?

And thanks for the other players info.

Kirbster13

Smash Cadet
Ok and the results for the random teammate, all stages, all items tournament:

1: Poop (Overgames + Paul) (With a last minute substitution of Lewis)
2: Salty Balls Taste the Best (Dekar + Twin_A)
3: Godly Manliness (Molls + Tw1n)
4: The Base of the Shaft is Better (GoldenGlove + Chris)
5: The Tip of the **** is the Best (Neil + Kit)
5: That's What She Said (Lewis + Lvl. 9 Comp.)

Ax00x0

Smash Apprentice
Hahha true, I'm tired and am not making much sense. But since I'm not going to Genesis...FML. And sure thing.

And lol @ team names

ZMan

Smash Master
cromartie high school aka albuquerque, nm
don't put me down as ddd, i used him in one set and in one round. and i don't think i ll use him in another set again.

sorry i had to leave early, i was really tired but now i cant get to sleep (lol insomnia) next time though derek and i are gonna **** on everyone in doubles.

oh yeah thanks for the awesome shirt molly

KitsuneXXX

Smash Cadet
*sadface* Am I so bad that I can't even place in a tourney? Be honest guys, should I just quit?

Meh, GGs all.

Dekar173

Justice Man
August I think you're the sexiest Samus in all the land, even if you ARE a perv for using ZSS in Brawl, perv.

Who all can get no-tripping on their wiis in time for the Anime Club tourney/next biweekly?

This way we can avoid any sort of BS in matches, I saw a LOT of trip-KOs which brought a tear to my eye (JK I don't cry, and never will, you're all ******* for even thinking I know what it feels like to cry, *******).

GGs to all, tourney was a lot of fun, and the items tourney was epic lmao.

Ax00x0

Smash Apprentice
Does Phantom live here now, or what?

Molly, unless you're joking, you're a tard-you gave a link to some nerds talking about the DB movie.

Holy ****, I just played like 3 hours of Sins of a Solar Empire, and I'm freakin having trouble scrolling correctly. the game's nuts.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Any videos of Kashakunaki's Wolf from that tourney? I heard he improved a lot and impressed a bunch of people at Whobo.

:059:

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
don't put me down as ddd, i used him in one set and in one round. and i don't think i ll use him in another set again.
Did you need him to beat neil though? If you really could have won with lucas, it doesn't count. But it counts if you needed him to win.

Who all can get no-tripping on their wiis in time for the Anime Club tourney/next biweekly?

This way we can avoid any sort of BS in matches, I saw a LOT of trip-KOs which brought a tear to my eye (JK I don't cry, and never will, you're all ******* for even thinking I know what it feels like to cry, *******).
I might be able to. And If I can, so can Nolan. Also, I personally saw 3 in matches I played just myself.

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Singin Pretty Fly for a White Guy in the shower :)
Goyf pick up IC's so this state can have an IC's in melee and in Brawl! ^_^

And August you are amazing bro! Don't quit! I think you should have placed 3rd for beating me. I guess it's because I beat Paul that I took 3rd (epic match by the way Paul. I think we both sat there in silence for that little while after lol)

Good games to everyone. And Dekar that was too funny counter picking colors against people in the all stages all items BS tourney haha. Green definitely counter picked their blue :p

ZMan

Smash Master
cromartie high school aka albuquerque, nm
Any videos of Kashakunaki's Wolf from that tourney? I heard he improved a lot and impressed a bunch of people at Whobo.

:059:
there's one vid of him in teams w/derke againt nolan and a lvl9 Mk. but i don't think im gonna upload it.

walker- i think i might be able to beat neil with my lucas, but i thought ddd was the best choice. btw learn to use a camera :p

xion- pick up pit.

xion07

Smash Apprentice
Hey dudes. It was alot of fun at the tourney, ggs to all.

I'm dropping Ike for good. I have no friends to fight for... well except for Bryan, but we dont talk about that here. ;)

So in Ikes place I shall pick up Toon Link.

@Zman- hmm I'll definately take that into consideration. But Bryan might break up with me if
I take his main and beat him. :D

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Goyf pick up IC's so this state can have an IC's in melee and in Brawl! ^_^
I used them quite a bit in the tourney, and I have been doing pretty well with them, so that's the plan.

walker- i think i might be able to beat neil with my lucas, but i thought ddd was the best choice. btw learn to use a camera :p
I don't think it matters that much, it's just the fact that you thought DDD was more likley to win. IMO, it doesn't matter that much.

And I can't use cameras for my life.

Top Bottom