• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Mexico Thread LIKE THE DESERTS MISS THE RAIN

tw1n

Smash Champion
My birthday's in a week and I still haven't gotten David his gift yet lol (shhhh don't tell him mmkay)

Hey Davis, just so I know that I brought a tear to your eye, do you remember the story you told me about Flippy from Star Fox Adventures? The poor retired guy who gave everything he could to help them succeed? note I tried to find the video online but I guess no one posted it. So I got this one instead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iodiHWV93PA
Ok well you have 1 week so hurry!!! lol

And awesome vid =D

KitsuneXXX

Smash Cadet
I'll bring both a SFIV and a Melee/Brawl setup if needed, but I probably will only enter Melee.

tekkie

Smash Master
DDD's standing infinite- currently banned, and for good reason

Pikachu's buffered CG's- I don't know how difficult these may be, but in all honesty I believe they should at the very least be limited to something like 50% or so. Pika against Falco/fox/Wolf are ALL unwinnable for the spacies anymore. Sad story.

MK- what I just stated above goes hand in hand with what I'm about to say; if you plan on choosing MK for the first round in the set, I believe your opponent should be allowed to choose their best character against you. The reasoning behind this is simple: MK has no bad match-ups, only even ones, those in his favor, and those that can be won without use of the c-stick or A button. The most this rule could do is to make it an even game.

Stage legality- What should be banned? What shouldn't? I'd like for us to discuss PS1 as a starter in place of Lylat, as well as pictochat being made legal again.
But Pictochat is terrible :(

(I'm totally for those first three, btw.)

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Hey Davis. Tai is going to house me and you for Devastation. One sidenote, we can't practice brawl at his place. But that should be fine.
Awesome. Is anyone else coming (I'm looking at you, Steven)?

haha Tekkie's sig = owned.

And another pimp did already still Wonders Hoes away. Molly =D
First of all, they ain't wonder hoes, they just hoes. Second of all, no one be stealin' my *****es.

Hey Davis, just so I know that I brought a tear to your eye, do you remember the story you told me about Flippy from Star Fox Adventures? The poor retired guy who gave everything he could to help them succeed? note I tried to find the video online but I guess no one posted it. So I got this one instead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iodiHWV93PA
First of all, that is my favorite (probably) clip from AMV Hell 3. Too good.

Secondly, it is Peppy Hare. Not EVEN close. Thirdly, this is the video that makes me cry EVERY time I watch it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4lkrh62GOg

Yep... just watched it again. Sure enough, I cry. Too sad. I basically look like Slippy.

Pikachu's buffered CG's- I don't know how difficult these may be, but in all honesty I believe they should at the very least be limited to something like 50% or so. Pika against Falco/fox/Wolf are ALL unwinnable for the spacies anymore. Sad story.
I eat Pikachu's for breakfast. On nom nom nom.

KitsuneXXX

Smash Cadet
Shadow of the Colossus was terribly sad. But the MGS series has always brought me to tears.

****, I ****ing love those games.

Sliraobe God

Smash Apprentice
okay, looks like I'm not that weird then. I run the water works on melee, even brawl, kingdom hearts, pokemon, legend of zelda, yes I've cried at starfox too. those are the only ones I can think of at the moment.

because im really lazy can someone post me the link to devastation, if Tai is housing I may wanna go there just to beat his little vietnamese *** at melee again. maybe do another sacred combo =D

Sliraobe God

Smash Apprentice
Well Steven, there's not particularly anything about the gameplay or (this is quite possibly the longest stretch I've ever made) "storyline" esque ish thingamajiger that makes me cry, but it's the community.

I mean, a singular tear did roll down my face when I first beat adventure mode and the credits were rolling. But nothing else really made me cry.
When I first reached the venue for the MGC finals in Dallas, I cried.
When I first read AlphaZealot's thread "Smash in 2007: Year in Review" I cried.

anyways...harry potter and the half blood prince is coming out in july. From the trailer I got the impression that it looks like, feels like, sounds like, smells like, and tastes like crap

Will there be melee doubles - I wanna team.
Will there be brawl doubles? I *may* enter.

ZMan

Smash Master
cromartie high school aka albuquerque, nm
lol neil. you should play sonic 2k6 and try not to cry :D

xion- sweet bro. we gonna win double for sure :D

so i decided im gonna drop falcon and link and either gonna pick up wario snake or toon link. maybe all three. imma mess around with the 3 on sat.

Alphabravo

Smash Ace
@neil: I agree. That movie was supposed to come out last November. But they delayed it for some reason; which I will admit KILLED ALL THE HYPE.

@Zach: Pick up toon link.

Also, too many tournaments to enter. I want to enter everthing, but alas, that would cost me a total of 30 dollars (assuming the venue fee doesn't get waivered).

@everyone: I might actually enter brawl singles this time. But that is definitely a maybe.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Shadow of the Colossus was terribly sad. But the MGS series has always brought me to tears.

****, I ****ing love those games.

Shadow of the Colossus I think made me cry the most aside from Final Fantasy 7 and Star Fox. It is hard to say. I know Shadow of the Colossus invoked the most emotion out of me than any game previously.

Melee!? What in Melee could possibly make you cry? Brawl is a stretch too, but it at least has some cut scenes that could kinda maybe be interpreted as sad.
I recall Melee making me cry. I think it was when I first got it and watched the opening cutscene for the first time when I was like ten or eleven. It was a tear of joy.

@neil: I agree. That movie was supposed to come out last November. But they delayed it for some reason; which I will admit KILLED ALL THE HYPE.

@Zach: Pick up toon link.

Also, too many tournaments to enter. I want to enter everthing, but alas, that would cost me a total of 30 dollars (assuming the venue fee doesn't get waivered).

@everyone: I might actually enter brawl singles this time. But that is definitely a maybe.
Toon Link sounds good, although you should pick them all up.

Enter Brawl for teh lulz.

Dekar173

Justice Man
@Davis- you eat non-gay pikachus for breakfast, AKA Nolan. Others, who lack any form of honor, can and will CG you to death (which isn't even really hard, "omg buffered dthrow!!!" translates to: press z faster. <.<)

Only *****es cry, why, I've never even shed a tear in my life!!! *macho facade crumbles* go read Les Miserables, it will make you feel worse than an orphan watching their would-be parents get shot in the face by a drug lord.

@Neil- Melee doubles, melee singles, etc. is entirely dependent upon you guys and whether you want to do it or not. It's typical of us to hold a doubles event every time we have a Brawl tourney. Being that Melee's currently in the resuscitation process, it may take a while before that is a regularity.

tw1n

Smash Champion
like, and tastes like crap

Will there be melee doubles - I wanna team.
Will there be brawl doubles? I *may* enter.
Hey Neil we should team for doubes =D Bring back some old school memories. Thats saying that there's even a big enough tournout to do teams lol

Only *****es cry, why, I've never even shed a tear in my life!!! *macho facade crumbles* go read Les Miserables, it will make you feel worse than an orphan watching their would-be parents get shot in the face by a drug lord.
Le Mis is so sad :'( I read the book and watched the play when I did stagecraft in High School... Now I'm getting sad again.

Final Fantasy 7 is the only game that has ever made me tear up. Although Kyle spoiled a part of LoZ: Phantom Hourglass that made me really sad. My mom actually bawled her eyes out at the end of Final Fantasy 9... even tho that was the only part of the game she ever saw... I laughed personally :D
Except when the black mages tried saving Vivi... and the black waltz kills them... *tears* But Vivi did become a royal bad *** after that =D

tw1n

Smash Champion
Duffy said:
yo kash, an old wolf was revived today, tetsuya said it was better than yours
LIES!!! But there is only one way to find out. I guess there's going to have to be a wolf battle!

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Venue fee discounts will be given based upon turnout. Unfortunately Mike is a nazi and wants a lot of money for every time we do this. I'm done with paying the rest out of my own pocket, as I need money for other things, so this is the only solution.
You never had to do this to begin with. I didn't even know. Thanks.

10% total will be taken out of all pots for the evening (and future ones) that will be set aside for future gaming trips.
:)

As for the doubles chain grab (grab release > grab by other partner) that stupid **** is banned. Any and all things that are debateable can be debated upon by us, the NM smashers. I'm tired of relying on a bunch of morons (read: the back room) only to get rulesets that essentially CRAVE the stagnation, and ultimately, the failure of Brawl's metagame.
Good. it's easily the most broken infinite in the game.

Things to be debated upon:

DDD's standing infinite- currently banned, and for good reason
I mostly agree with this, espically becuase he can CG all of the characters he can infinite, except Luigi. I think you should limit it to like 3 regrabs on luigi (and no, I don't want derek hosed) becuase it removes his ability to CG luigi entirley, which is a little too far. However, I don't care enough to pursue the subject more than just voicing my thoughts.

IC's infinites- takes a lot more skill to perform than DDD's, but they can use a limitation if need be
Obviously I don't want these limited (LOL ICs player), but I actually don't think that they should be banned either. If you watch tournament matches of Lain/Hylian, even they screw up on occasion, or underistimate their oppoinents ability to DI and survive. Also, the following must be considered:

The infinite cannot be performed if both Ice Climbers aren't present, and within close proximity to eachother, their grab range is very sub par (Like 3rd worst), and they can't powershield and rgab, becuase the delay in nana's reaction is exactly the same as the time it takes to powershield, and most non powershielded moves that hit their shields send them sliding back, like when you hit luigi's shield, making it even more difficult to get the grab in the first place. Plus, the infinites don't do anything like winning without skill, or obsolete any characters (AKA, DK, Samus, Mario, and Luigi VS D3, or to a lesser extent Bowser), and they definitley aren't overcentralizing (MK anyone?), So I really feel that they don't fit the criterion.

Oh, and if you can infinite, but don't know how to play ICs otherwise, it doesn't matter worth a **** anyways, you will lose horribly.

Also, on the subject of infinites, what about Yoshi or ZSS VS Wario, ZSS's Dsmash>footstool infinite VS rob, charizards grab release VS ness (it can't be EIDIed, charizard has a bigger grab range that D3), peaches Footstool infinite against poor old My air release sucks wario, ect (don't know if I forgot any others)

Nolan just found these out like monday, so I don't know how hard they are, but many of hte aren't that drastic. The spacies, snake, and D3 have the biggest worries, but pika could already CG fox to death anyways, and he could CG Falco to the ledge, then Dthrow, and he falls so fast, it would go up to about 70 before he could break out, and if he tried to jump out sooner, the game would register the jump, leaving him off the edge without a second jump. DDD went to like 75 without the buffering, so it really only causes problems for wolf and snake, who only got CGed to like 40ish. But I don't know all the details, so I'll get back to this later.

EDIT: link Uh, this makes it look pretty bad for the life of this CG. It requires some memorizaton of stuff, but it's REEEEEEEEEAAALY broken. LOL at ESAM not just saying it works because of the throws needing to be staled to a specific point for wolf.

Planking- banned as of now, but if you guys absolutely want it for whatever reason, we can talk about it
It should be banned, but what criterion are we using? Time spent on the ledge, number of sucessive regrabs, number of times ledge was grabbed total, what?

Trash-talk/rage during and after matches- sportsmanship's a must guys, if anything this is just a reminder but we need to keep our cool in and out of match, as well as not seem condescending/discouraging to new people that come to the scene
/commonsense

Double blind picks- the first round sets the tone for the rest of the set in any match. Being that we all know each other's mains pretty well, we need to start doing double blind picking processes, starting with this Saturday.
""

MK- what I just stated above goes hand in hand with what I'm about to say; if you plan on choosing MK for the first round in the set, I believe your opponent should be allowed to choose their best character against you. The reasoning behind this is simple: MK has no bad match-ups, only even ones, those in his favor, and those that can be won without use of the c-stick or A button. The most this rule could do is to make it an even game.
Perfectly fair, but isn't the only reason he is legal in NM is that we need the practice against him for genesis?

Stage legality- What should be banned? What shouldn't? I'd like for us to discuss PS1 as a starter in place of Lylat, as well as pictochat being made legal again.
Yes, PS1>lylat as a starter. Also, what about norfair/Pirate ship? They are up for vote on the genesis rules discussion. I think that pictochat and norfair shoulb be legal, and I want pirate ship banned, but I don't care about pirate ship being banned that much. My biggest feeling is that brawl is a more stragety based game, and thus is more inclined to have as many stages as possible, for more stragetic depth.

@Davis- you eat non-gay pikachus for breakfast, AKA Nolan. Others, who lack any form of honor, can and will CG you to death (which isn't even really hard, "omg buffered dthrow!!!" translates to: press z faster. <.<)
No, Nolan just found these out the other day. He wants to use them.

ZMan

Smash Master
ive never cried at any sort of movie/game/song (closest would be mother 3 and the goodnight kiss part of dream theater's 6 degrees of inner turbulence). not sure if that makes me a heartless ******* or not.

anyway, imma try to make the nm combo vid (its both brawl and melee) before the school year ends (cause my editing equipment if on my comp at school). i expect people to start recording their matches and sending them to me so i can get this **** started. so far im working on the opening sequence. i wanna se some cool combos this saturday!

Sliraobe God

Smash Apprentice
Walker - wow you love brawl a lot

Zach - Hearing about you never cry is more sad than hearing about you cry

Davis - you gave it away before i clicked on the link, so my surprise was ruined. i hate you

Derek - i called Everett because I knew that he wanted to have a smashfest today since he didn't have school, but he didn't answer and he's at work.
frankly, i'm at home and slightly bored, so if you want me to hold a smashfest on friday evening, *I can*
but we're having a tournament tomorrow anyway, so i'm not sure if its worth it.
and i wanna get caught up on homework.

KitsuneXXX

Smash Cadet
Please excuse my ignorance, but why should infinites be legal? There's a reason that stages with permanent walls were banned in Melee, so what makes inifinites any less dumb in Brawl? From what I've seen, they're everywhere, they're easier to do, and they are easier to initiate. So, when the ICs can infinite CG to stall the match, or to get an auto-kill, what's not broken with that? Walker tried to say it was difficult to initiate, but I call shenanigans.

Overgames

Smash Rookie
i called Everett because I knew that he wanted to have a smashfest today since he didn't have school, but he didn't answer and he's at work.
frankly, i'm at home and slightly bored, so if you want me to hold a smashfest on friday evening, *I can*
but we're having a tournament tomorrow anyway, so i'm not sure if its worth it.
and i wanna get caught up on homework.
Nah it's cool. I'm pretty bored here at home too, so I figured a smashfest would be the cure to my boredom. But I can wait until tomorrow. =P

gamesuxcard

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, it was just discovered and i've been playing around with it, pretty easy. However, it has to be set up a certain way, meaning f throw to fthrow to pummel to dthrow starting from zero, there are slight variations but all will result in a different ending for how long the chain grab goes, a lot doing with how fresh your throws are.

ZMan

Smash Master
Please excuse my ignorance, but why should infinites be legal? There's a reason that stages with permanent walls were banned in Melee, so what makes inifinites any less dumb in Brawl? From what I've seen, they're everywhere, they're easier to do, and they are easier to initiate. So, when the ICs can infinite CG to stall the match, or to get an auto-kill, what's not broken with that? Walker tried to say it was difficult to initiate, but I call shenanigans.
the thing with ics is that their game revolves around the infinites (im probably way wrong on that one, but that's what i understand). taking away the infintes means the ics are incredably useless (again, probably wrong)

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Walker - wow you love brawl a lot
Becuase I voice my opinion? We don't get anything done if people don't say something. I'm like that with everything I do.

They are very situational, for the reasons I stated. I've practiced doing IC infinites for like a month, and I'm still not perfect on them. You can't pick them up in a day, or a week. And besides, if you learn the infinites without learning the rest of the character, you will never win. Everyone knows how to avoid the infinites, and they can't set them up, so you have to rely on prediction or mindgames.

As for infinites being legal in general, that is a lot more loose. D3 infinite is frequently banned, and standing infinites (note, IC inifnites aren't actually standing, you have to move each IC a certian distance, which varys by character) are banned at genesis, which is the rulesset we are currently going by. BTW, stalling with an infinite is banned. Also, look at it like this. In melee, sheik had a ridiculos CG on so many characters, and it could follow up into a kill. While not actually an infinite, it was close enough to be like one. If a single grab can completley change the game, was it any diffirent from an infinite in the end?

EDIT: a direct quote from the Melee forums stating that wobbling isn't usually banned

Infinites: Several characters have infinites, of which none are regularly banned at tournaments except as a means to stall.

Wobbling: Named after the player who first used the technique to success in a tournament (not to the discoverer, the move has actually been around since 2004), wobbling is when the Ice Climbers grab an opponent and infinite using the forward tilt in a well timed repetition. It works against any character on any stage starting at a low percentage until the Ice Climbers player decides to end the infinite. The only stipulations are that the Ice Climbers must land a properly spaced grab and that both Ice Climbers must be present to perform the infinite.
MOAR EDIT:The recommended ruleslist for melee. It specifically says "wobbling is legal"

the thing with ics is that their game revolves around the infinites (im probably way wrong on that one, but that's what i understand). taking away the infintes means the ics are incredably useless (again, probably wrong)

While that obviously is their biggest asset, it's not all their game. They have good priority because of the hammers, they are almost completley resistant to grabs, the actually have decent "combos" (with the quotation becuase its brawl), like squall/dash attack to Uair, Dthrow to U/Fsmash at lower percent, good spacing tools in the form of blizzard, can be quite difficult to punish when properly desynched,have not too hard to land kill moves that actually kill at reasonable percents, and have 2 diffirent recovery options, both of which are good in general attacks (their upB can kill pretty well, and do you need to ask about squall). IMO, without the CGs, they would be lower mid, but not garbage.

KitsuneXXX

Smash Cadet
Regardless of the (often scrutinized) legality of Wobbling, it doesn't change the fact that it's broken as **** and really detracts from the fun of the game. Same thing with Sheik's redonculous CGs. Though, really, it's all for practice, so I say, **** opinions on the matter, keep the same rule set as Genesis.

(and I thought wobbling involved the use of jab, not f-tilt?)

OH! And is there a fest of some sort today? Everett said something about something on Wednesday, but I haven't talked to him since then... Tell me what's happenin' or I'll be stuck at home playing MGS.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Regardless of the (often scrutinized) legality of Wobbling, it doesn't change the fact that it's broken as **** and really detracts from the fun of the game. Same thing with Sheik's redonculous CGs. Though, really, it's all for practice, so I say, **** opinions on the matter, keep the same rule set as Genesis.

(and I thought wobbling involved the use of jab, not f-tilt?)
It's true, infinites do detract from the fun of the game. I wouldn't infinite people in friendlies if I didn't need the practice for Genesis. I don't plan on infiniting people in friendlies as a practice, I'm not an ***. But I'm going to play ICs at genesis, and when I spend hundreds of dollars on a tourney, I'll play gay. And so will everyone else. 7 mins of MK on the ledge is no less gay than dying from one grab.

And I have no idea wether it involves Ftilt or jab. I just cut and pasted.

Sliraobe God

Smash Apprentice
Walker i was just saying that you made a really long post explaining brawl.

August wobbling in melee is done with popo's headbutt and nana's f-tilt or d-tilt. F-tilt is preferred.
However, I'm unfamiliar with nana jabbing. it's possible, I guess...ask wobbles.

David, I am going to be an elitist *** and not team with you.
not because you suck
but because real melee teams aren't going to happen anyway
We should do random teams out of a hat again, and everyone is required to enter. One quarter per team member for an entry fee.

We should also do a one-quarter-per-member entry fee for a FFA melee tourney, just for the nostalgia :p
We should even do a melee tourney with items and banned stages for MORE nostalgia :lick:

you know what else. we should even do a GameStop brawl tourney. Y'know, the tourney that happened with brawls release if you preordered. they had single eliminition 2 minute time and items were on. and everett almost won too

Sliraobe God

Smash Apprentice
I ABSOLUTELY NEED TO DOUBLE POST FOR THIS.
So NO, moderators, NO.

I'm having an improptu smashfest right now at my house.
Currently there is me, Steven, August, and Paul, so it is primarily melee, but you can jump in for practice for tomorrow's tournament, and THERE WILL BE BRAWL if you want it.
Expect it to last late into the night, but not too late so that you can get adequate sleep for tomorrow :)

Top Bottom