• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SOVA, ITS 2010! Step ya Melee game up baby! <3

~RiKu~

Smash Cadet
Jus finished watchin Devastation. Justin Wong wins too much.
And the moral of the story. Beast Coast > west coast yet again.

D0N

Smash Ace
Yea John Choi was amazing with knowing how to use those fireballs at the right space. I wasnt too fond of the commentators, but they tried.

lol famous thats so true

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
btw for anyone who needs the "Red____" and/or "Choke Cord" references:

::from a Samus thread I lurked for a second last year::
OH and **** not using names XD

4 people in this story:
Victim: Chill!ndude829
His teammate: SavEdge[he had ****ing SWEET hair, which is the personal attribute mentioned in the story]
Red Marth: Boxr
His teammate: Yosh!do [they're from South Carolina]
The saga of Red Marth is far more epic than the little teaser of an explanation Gum gave. That **** was unreal. I won't say names either, but I shall shed some light on this legend.

This was at a large tournament in North Carolina last summer. 70-80 attendants including a ton of out-of-state kids, Gum and myself included. It was a multi-day event. The first night was friendlies, which means everyone stayed up the whole time. The next day was the tournament [teams/singles] and after singles was over, everyone continued playing.

Around 3 or 4 AM Sunday morning, people were still playing and then the focus switched to teams friendlies. Two of the top placers were on the TV for a while since no one was beating them. They didn't need to try very hard as most of the teams they played against were far inferior to their pro-level skills. There was a small group of people still awake just watching this happen...at some point, it was just one team trying to face these nonchalant monsters. Try as they might, nothing worked. No matches were close, but they weren't outright slaughters either, so hope still remained for these struggling players...

It should be noted that 3 out of the 4 people in these team matches enjoy talking ****............a lot. But it's the competitive kind. The kind that adds some heat to the battles. The 3 people included the two dominating forces and one from the weaker pair. The two veterans thought that they could at least find a worthy adversary in the art of talking **** and starting giving twice as good as they were getting.

The verbal massacre that commenced match after match inspired from the loser the wittiest of retorts including, but not limited to, "how many d.cks does your mom have?"

but that's okay. **** talking is part of competition, like I said. but it never gets personal. This genius decides to go against that and makes a direct shot at a physical attribute of one of his opponents....and his partner, a fantastic Yoshi player, just shook his head in silent embarrassment. By now it's 6 AM and the other players realized "oh!...so that's how it's going to be" and decided to up the ante: they actually started TRYING.

after half a dozen team-7stocks and 8stocks happened [against all of the offender's various characters], he decides to choose Marth [and they were on the red team]. The guy he insulted declares, mid match, "dude, this Yoshi is ****ing sweet!...but Red Marth? yeah, Red Marth is ****ing garbage. **** Red Marth." After this moment, he was never referred to as anything other than Red Marth. No matter what character he chose [the first match after Red Marth was born is what Gum was referring to...with taking forever to choose his next character....mostly because they kept egging him on and repeatedly told Red Marth to choose his character. They even went so far as to loudly pick apart his character-specific strategies every time he chose someone............eventually he settled on Red Marth again]

The **** and the **** talking gets out of hand, as does the abuse of this player's unauthorized new Smash name...

And that's when he mumbled something that sent a chill down the spines of anyone within earshot. That is...if he said what we thought he said.

"If you don't shut the **** up I'm going to jump over my teammate and choke you with my *inaudible* cord" [though it was probably "controller cord" it sounded like he said "choke cord"].....the match continued in awkward silence. This was specifically directed at the partner of the person Red Marth insulted. You can tell he's aching to respond....and finally decides to let out some famous last words...

"What the ****'s a choke cord?"

IMMEDIATELY Red Marth rips out his controller cord, doubles it over, leaps over his teammate and proceeds to strangle the guy for a brief moment. A firm hand on his chest from the victim snaps him out of his blinding white rage and he releases the pressure of the cord. Meanwhile everyone who just witnessed this is frozen in silence and mental fighter stance. So many thoughts are filling the silence and I'm pretty sure most of us were thinking some of the same things:
"is this **** really happening??"
"is something about to go down?!........and if it does.....who the **** is going to have Red Marth's back???"

Realizing he just violently assaulted someone over, ultimately, a video game, Red Marth stands up...........................plugs his controller in, while looking directly in the eyes of the other team, sits back down...and continues to play the match out.

Needless to say, everyone stopped playing after that.

After some time and much discussion/shared shock with the victim and his teammate...hideously brilliant plans for revenge were hatched but eventually only took two forms:

1) I got the tourney hosts to change the guy's name in the results post to Red Marth

2) the victim, a pro among pros, pulled some strings [or at least someone did on his behalf] and Red Marth's SWF name actually got CHANGED to RED MARF.

And that is the epic tale of Red Marth.

D0N

Smash Ace
Nice stories Ether :) lol O-NO and his 3rd Strike. Everytime I get a winning streak agiant others he's like "Not in my house!" comes to ruin it for me, and goes back to whatever he's doing.

lol this community has so many stories. Everything from plank to red marth.

Ether

Smash Ace
XFD he got raaaaaaaaaped.

Also, I was thinking I should eventually go to GA for a smash tourney sometime.

edit - Besides Planking and running Pound, what else is Plank known for? Is there some crazy story I'm missing?

toasty

Smash Hero
LOLOLOLOLOL Ether you have no idea...hold on

here:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=233671
follow Planks instructions and make 2 browser windows so the story is in one window and the video is in another and they can both be looked at simultaneously, and pause when necessary so you can read the next section of the story XD

actually there's more to Plank than just that:

In Melee he was NOTORIOUS for being the biggest proponent of the "play to win" concept. ie, Captain Mother ****ing Ginyu himself, the "gayest" player ever. He wasn't that "good" by most people's measures but he was successful, which equated to "good" in Plank's book because it filled his wallet...fair enough. But yeah "Planking" isn't nearly as effective in Melee as it is in Brawl as far as seriously contributing to a victory, and thus wasn't a known term until Brawl came out and Plank Planked

Ether

Smash Ace
Was that the match that spawned air camping with Metaknight? I've been watching some brawl vids lately (mostly of NEO and Kadaj because Marth is too cool), and I noticed m2k using the strat. Like, 4 dairs -> tornado -> repeat. I'd really like to try to break that strat up sometime. I've really been wanting to play Brawl lately.

toasty

Smash Hero
Ether would clean up SoVa no PROBLEM if he played Brawl. I really should have just given you the system >_>

Hah I wouldn't say it spawned the air camping...dair camping has been around for quite some time but Critical Hit 3 introduce a lot of "gayness" as far as the art of MK-camping goes [esp. with regard to running the clock XD]

toasty

Smash Hero
LMFAAAAO IT WORKED

not that I intended it to be a trap, but I had a feeling I'd get that reaction, and rather immediately XD

Ether...honestly if you just played for a month and put in the same dedication you had in Melee as far as finding information out and committing that to your gameplay, you'd be raaaaape and would just be a few MD/VA tourneys-worth of experience away from being pro.

I'd put money on it.

_Kadaj_

Smash Hero
Throw that P***y at me? B***h I think Im Babe Ruth
lol ether playing against mk is fun at first then its like wow your annoying, they just pick gay stages once they lose then they lose again lol

I 3 stocked someone's mk not to long ago and the match took about 7mins and 45 secs and I wasnt even camping

Riku i'll add you in the morning

Ether

Smash Ace
So you say kadaj, so you say lol jk

Also, this is the future of a cocky kadaj vs. ether at his peak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po77bJk1DdI
XD that was hella funny.

In all honesty, I am Kadaj's biggest fan. And after toasty's last amazing tourney, I came to the realization that I am also Tope's biggest fan. All of the sheer hatred I have toward Sheik blinded me to the truth that I really think Tope is a great player.

plz team with me tope

SlashTalon

Smash Ace

D0N

Smash Ace
Hey Toasty do you still have any replays of me vs kadaj on your wii? I remember we recorded some a while back but they were never uploaded. Im trying to say what the DK boards will say about how I play and my friendlies with him are ussually when I play my best. Oddly enough I think I play better there than at tournies. I dunno why lol

Top Bottom