• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash and Coffee 2: The Return of Smash and Coffee - Winona Lake, IN - Aug. 1+2

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Smash and Coffee 2: The Return of Smash and Coffee

1300 Wooster Road
Winona Lake, IN 46590

Date:
August 1-2, 2008

Winona Lake is right next to Warsaw, halfway between South Bend and Fort Wayne.
1 hour from South Bend.
40 minutes from Fort Wayne.
2 hours from Indianapolis
2 hours from Chicago
3.5 hours from Columbus, OH.

Registration for doubles & Friendlies begin at 4pm Friday
Doubles starts at 5:30pm Friday night.

Registration for singles begins at 10am Saturday
Singles starts at 11am Saturday.

Sleeping arrangements will be provided at the venue for the first 40 people who register. There's a chance we can hold more, but for now, we'll probably cap it at 40.

The venue fee will cover Dinner on Friday (HOG ROAST), housing and Breakfast on Saturday. You are on your own for lunch and dinner on Saturday. (If you can find a hotel that will give you two meals and a room for 20 bucks, let me know!!)

Cost:
Venue Fee: $20 (if eating and/or staying the night)
Venue Fee: $5 (if not eating or staying the night)
$10 per person for singles
$10 per person for doubles ($20 per team)

Pools + Double Elimination Brackets
Payouts to Top 3: 60%-30%-10%

RULES:
Best of 3 until finals, which will be best of 5.
3 stock, 7 minute timer
No items
Ties broken by lives, percentages
Each player can ban 1 stage before each set.
Dave's Stupid Rule
Advanced Slob Picks
No controller mods
Bring your own controller. All standard controllers are legal.
Stalling is banned. End your chain-grabs at around 300% promptly.

Stages:

We're using the Stage Strikeout Method for neutrals. Players take turn striking stages from the neutral list until there is 1 stage left, which is the stage they'll play for their first match.

Neutral:
Final Destination
Delfino Plaza
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story
Smashville

Counterpicks:
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 1
Corneria
Halberd
Green Hill Zone
Great Sea
Mario Circuit
Norfair
Castle Siege
Brinstar
Green Greens
Rainbow Cruise
Frigate Orpheon
Onett
Distant Planet
Pokemon Stadium 2
Pictochat
Luigi's Mansion
Jungle Japes
Pipes

Banned:
Everything Else

Confirmed attendance list:
1. Dastrn
2. Kyari
3. OS
4. Kel
5. Bloodhawk
6. Rook
7. Joshu
8. Scarecrow
9. Sliq
10. Dr. X
11. Infern Angelis
12. Smash64
13. Q
14. Dethsmasher
15. Dethsmasher's crew
16. Dethsmasher's crew
17. Asdioh
18. Big C
19. Tink
20. Norm
21. infernohit
22. Nojoes
23. KirkQ
24. JonS
25. 4%
26. 1der
27. vidjo
28. Anther
29. samuraipanda
30. vayseth
31. scala
32. lain
33. joe brown
34. sofa
35. rook

Possible attenders:

1. Theblueblade
2. jekyll
3. Swoop
4. Brahma

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
I will go to this, but someone needs to get me a ride. I'll chip in for gas etc..., but I definitely will need a ride for this.

...and a teammate.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Xiivi is your name supposed to be roman numerals, or is it supposed to be pronounced? I was calling you "zeevee" at the last one, but I know how irritating it can be to have people mispronounce your name.

Mine's pronounced "DASTRIN" or "DASTURN". Either one.

DethSmasher

Smash Cadet
i am definitly coming to this as long as work allows. i missed the last one but i really want to start playing some tourneys. i will be bringing my brother but probably a couple friends too

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
I will be here. Fo' sho' :D

EDIT: Why the hell not Pictochat? You better change that, dude. Pictochat is a very effective counterpick stage. I couldn't give a **** less if Port Town is on because I know no-one's going to pick it, but not having Pictochat on there is really stupid. It's one of my best counterpicks.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
I work until 5 Friday, so I don't know that I'll be able to make doubles. But Swops and I will probably show for singles on Saturday.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Also out of curiosity is there any reason you have Skyworld as Banned other than personal preference? I see no reason for Skyworld to be banned as a stage.

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Ok seriously, Port Town but not Pictochat?
I love how I basically said this exact thing in a PM last night. HAHA. I argued for Pictochat and PS2 the last time, I'm happy they are both going to be there this time.

Also out of curiosity is there any reason you have Skyworld as Banned other than personal preference? I see no reason for Skyworld to be banned as a stage.
I know we had it on for a few Rochester tournaments...once people started using it as a "techfest + spike through the floor" we turned it off. However, it isn't that bad. I can see it swinging between banned or counterpick really.

But anyway. Someone say they're giving me a ride. Now. Do it. Do it. PEER PRESSURE. :(

It's pronounced Xiivi...wow, I can't believe I just typed "Xiivi" saying that's how you pronounce it...it's so **** ingrained into my mind...
"Si" as in "silver" and "Vee" as in "Eevee" the pokemon LOL. Not roman numerals. Do you see any capitalization? Do you? DO YOU? :p <3

I always pronounced it Dasturn.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
But I want play play G&W dittos where we just spam dair to destroy the bottom platforms and camp for a downthrow so I can spike you through the clouds. What's so wrong with that? :(
does G&W's downthrow spike through the clouds there?

I should already know that stuff...i main G&W.

On that stage, I pretty much wrote it off as ******** within 3-4 matches played on it the day I got Brawl. I go back to it a few matches a week just to see if it still sucks as bad as I remember. (it does)

I never even bother learning tricks on those kinds of stages, because I know I'll never use them in a tournament.

I'm 99% sure that Skyworld will be banned by SBR as soon as they release the official SBR rules.

Kel

Smash Master
I'm 99% sure that Skyworld will be banned by SBR as soon as they release the official SBR rules.
The BR doesn't ban stuff for fun or because we don't like a stage. There has to be reasonable examples and explanations pertaining to why the stage isn't good for tournament play. The ability to run away for 7 minutes to stall an entire match is a reason, but that only applies to Hyrule Temple and Pork City. So far, Skyworld may pose character biases, but nothing ban-worthy. That's why Iggy was asking you if it was anything besides preference that causes you to ban the stage. If you indeed have the evidence, we'd like for you to share :)

That last smiley face doubles as a period! So does this one :)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
The BR doesn't ban stuff for fun or because we don't like a stage. There has to be reasonable examples and explanations pertaining to why the stage isn't good for tournament play. The ability to run away for 7 minutes to stall an entire match is a reason, but that only applies to Hyrule Temple and Pork City. So far, Skyworld may pose character biases, but nothing ban-worthy. That's why Iggy was asking you if it was anything besides preference that causes you to ban the stage. If you indeed have the evidence, we'd like for you to share :)

That last smiley face doubles as a period! So does this one :)
Whut he said

The trick is generally to destroy the top platforms if you don't have an uber recovery.... and destroy the bottom ones if you do.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Skyworld is one of the most unbalanced stages in Brawl. I'm having trouble coming up with a stage that is less balanced than it.

Grapple recovery characters are unplayable.
Basically anyone without a really good verticle recovery is unplayable.
Does DK stand a chance on that stage? no.
Olimar?
ZSS?
Lucas?
Diddy?
Mario?
Luigi?
Bowser?
Link?
Shiek?
Zelda?

Basically skyworld will turn into Metaknight, ROB, Pit, and Snake.

Think of it like Onett in Melee. If you are playing on Skyworld, you pretty much HAVE to play one of a small list of characters to compete.

Most counterpicks are kinda bad for a handful of characters, and maybe REALLY bad for like 1 or 2 characters, but not completely unplayable for half the cast.

I don't think I'll ever try turning on Skyworld until the SBR list comes out. If they embrace it as legit, I'll gladly submit. Until then, I'm probably not going to have it on.

And seriously, who's really going to miss it?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Skyworld is one of the most unbalanced stages in Brawl. I'm having trouble coming up with a stage that is less balanced than it.

Grapple recovery characters are unplayable.
Basically anyone without a really good verticle recovery is unplayable.
Does DK stand a chance on that stage? no.
Olimar?
ZSS?
Lucas?
Diddy?
Mario?
Luigi?
Bowser?
Link?
Shiek?
Zelda?

Basically skyworld will turn into Metaknight, ROB, Pit, and Snake.

Think of it like Onett in Melee. If you are playing on Skyworld, you pretty much HAVE to play one of a small list of characters to compete.

Most counterpicks are kinda bad for a handful of characters, and maybe REALLY bad for like 1 or 2 characters, but not completely unplayable for half the cast.

I don't think I'll ever try turning on Skyworld until the SBR list comes out. If they embrace it as legit, I'll gladly submit. Until then, I'm probably not going to have it on.

And seriously, who's really going to miss it?

Looks like I'm gonna have to have some skyworld MMs :D

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Bump to remind people to save the date.

Start asking off work early enough. No work johns will be accepted.

Also, my venue is confirmed, and our neighbors won't interfere. :)

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
This is on the same date as the Waukegan tourney? ****.... only thing taking me to Waukegan right now is a 64 tournament (along with Brawl). Will SaC 2 feature 64?

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
SaC2 will not feature 64, since I don't have a copy and don't care.

What waukegan tourney? Can someone link a thread? I'm not finding it.

Bloodhawk I guarantee I'll get the better players to come out.

After all, I'm planning a hog roast + BBQ. (not kidding, whole pig. We're building a pit for it next week.)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Are you kidding? A WHOLE HOG ROAST?!

I'm cloning myself and coming TWICE.

Blood_Hawk

Smash Lord
A hog roast you say. Well then, I might want to come to this one after all. I'd rather not have to sit through the day of Melee before the Brawl anyway. I'll clear my calender for this instead. XD

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Yeah, no reason to schedule the same weekend as another good tournament o_O

That'll just halve attendance to both

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
Speaking on Midwest Circuit standards, this tournament should still be the "big" tournament since Dastrn has had this set up pretty much since the end of SaC 1, unless people could care less about circuit events, which would be incredibly stupid.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah I'm not moving my tournament date. I've already reserved my venue, and the venue fee for a two day event including housing and food is not exactly cheap for me. I posted my date over two weeks ago to avoid scheduling conflicts.

Anyways, I'm thinking about doing a newbie tournament on saturday morning before/during we started our singles pools. I know I could get 30 locals to come out for something like that if I advertised with the right people. Gamestop has expressed interest in sponsoring the tournament. For a newbie tournament, I would think about charging only $5 total, and that would go to pay for them to enjoy the hog roast after their tournament was over. Prizes would be Gamecube controllers and Gamestop giftcards donated by Gamestop.

My purpose in doing so would be twofold:

1. To develop the local smash scene and meet some people to play with regularly.
2. To increase attendance to our normal tournaments, which sweetens the pot significantly for those who are in the money. At SaC 1, first place in singles payed $200. If I had 30 extra people in that tournament, 1st place would have payed $380.

What I'm looking for is some of you who are willing to help me run the newbie tournament. My two assistants from SaC are both no longer living in town, so I'll be largely without help unless some of you can step up and help out. More than anything, I'll need experienced tourney smashers around to act as judges, and help explain the rules to the newer players.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
Dastrn, if I make it down there Saturday morning I'd be glad to lend a hand. I'm just not 100% that I'll be able to make it. I've got a couple other things going on that week and I might be out of town on those dates, but I'll let you know.

Blood_Hawk

Smash Lord
Man, this is a hard decision. I don't want to screw you over by ditching this thing. It is only 30 or so minutes away from my house, so it is definitely closer. You did have the date first. For two weeks I might add. We'll see what happens. I'm a little more tempted to go to this one.

Top Bottom