• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash and Coffee 2: The Return of Smash and Coffee - Winona Lake, IN - Aug. 1+2

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I need a good teammate for this :(

I will win doubles if it is an uber teammate. Preferably a heavy that can kill. Snake, wario, D3...
i bet if you offered Joshu the left side of your sleeping bag, he'd skip that wedding and show up...

10cuddles

DethSmasher

Smash Cadet
hey, i am definitly coming and bringing 3 to 4 other people i play with regulary. where is the indoor sleeping space and is their room for 4 more?

Tink

Smash Hero
id go, but I didnt like how the stage list worked out last time <_<....maybe another time.

DethSmasher

Smash Cadet
real fast thing about counter pick stages, why are there stages without ledges, walk offs? is their a rule about infinites to death off these sides or something? i thought walk offs were always banned....

Tink

Smash Hero
see, teams are fun, but i wouldnt go just for teams and i dont like brawl enough to go and play on ****ty stages <_<. just makes a game thats kinda fun, not so fun. just my opinion though, not trying to change anything..

Overswarm

is laughing at you
see, teams are fun, but i wouldnt go just for teams and i dont like brawl enough to go and play on ****ty stages <_<. just makes a game thats kinda fun, not so fun. just my opinion though, not trying to change anything..
Who said anything about fun?

$ is a symbol for american dollars.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
real fast thing about counter pick stages, why are there stages without ledges, walk offs? is their a rule about infinites to death off these sides or something? i thought walk offs were always banned....

This early in the game, I don't see why we should ban stages like Mario Circuit or Onett or Green Hill Zone. It may be that over time we will see these stages being abused by 1 or 2 characters (ahem...ddd) and they will need to be banned, but for now, I'm going to leave them in. We've played with the stage list at my last few tournaments and I've yet to see anything shocking or imbalanced.

If anyone thinks that leaving 2 walkoff stages will make DeDeDe win every match, I strongly encourage you to pick him up for my tournament and win some cash. If we don't see things like that, we can't make decisions about what to ban at future tournaments. The best way for that stuff to get worked out is by competitive players abusing it to win money.

There's no rule about chain-grabbing people off the walkoff stages. While I find it easy to do so with DeDeDe against certain characters, it's also very easy to just pick G&W, or one of like 12 other lighterweight characters if your opponent picks a walkoff stage and then there's nothing to worry about anymore. If you include any one of the characters that DeDeDe can't chain grab in your arsenal, then you'll be fine.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Tink, you should just come out on Friday for doubles and the hog roast, stay the night cause that's fun too, nab a free breakfast courtesy of my wife, and then take off and enjoy your saturday and skip singles.

Tink

Smash Hero
man, that does sound niceeee =).....i forgot it was 2 days. i might just go and do that. got nothing else better to do really.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Hey tink, would you be able to give me and pat rides if we chipped in on gas?

DethSmasher

Smash Cadet
hey, dastrn. is there room for 4 more for sleeping space? what kind of sleeping space is it? just like bring a sleeping bag and its on the floor of the venue, is the venue car[peted, jsut stuff like nthat. thanks

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
There's room for about 40 people to sleep indoors, and about 2000 outside in tents (BYOT!)

Bring a sleeping bag and pillow. The floor is carpeted.

Vayseth

Smash Master
Just a question, since I recently banned Onett and Mario Circuit in my event, I was wondering why you're allowing them. Is it just there's not enough reason to ban them?

Tink

Smash Hero
os, big c would be really upset with me, but ill let you know soon. still not sure if im coming, want to make sure i am.

iggy, how much outta the way is it o,0?

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Just a question, since I recently banned Onett and Mario Circuit in my event, I was wondering why you're allowing them. Is it just there's not enough reason to ban them?

For me, I start on the other side of the question. I don't come up with reasons to allow stages. They are all allowed until they give me a good reason to ban them.

Simply having a walkoff edge is not enough of a reason to bad a stage. At this point in the game, DeDeDe and Falco both have chaingrabs on certain characters that could take advantage of walkoffs in such a way that 1 grab equals 1 kill. DeDeDe's chaingrabs are not %-dependant, so any grab on Bridge of Eldin against 1 of those 20-some characters is an automatic kill. That's not good for competitive play. But that alone is probably not enough for me to ban Bridge. But you add the general campy play that takes place on bridge by Olimar players and the stage starts to get a little ridiculous. Even worse is that KO's are difficult to get at a reasonable % on Bridge, so matches there take much longer than your average tourney match, which is bad for tournaments.

The same situations aren't true on either Mario Circuit or Onett. Onett was allowed in Melee up until really late in the game. It wasn't banned because of the walkoff edges. It was banned because Fox was unbeatable on Onett. In brawl, we don't have any reason to ban Onett except for the walkoff edges and the walls, so lets talk about them.

The majority of the stage is enclosed by the buildings on either side of the stage. Most of the opportunities that DeDeDe would have to get a grab, therefore, would not give him the opportunity to CG all the way off the walkoff edge. For a person to get chaingrabbed by DDD or Falco on this stage, they would have either had to counterpick it themselves, and then chose a chaingrabbable character after hearing their opponent pick DDD, or else the DDD would counterpick it, and then they would have to choose a CG-able character knowing the risk. THEN, they would also have to end up on the outside of one of the buildings. THEN, they would have to be on the ground with DDD ALSO outside the building and ALSO outside the buildings, BUT between the other character and the building...ALL of that has to happen for a person to get chaingrabbed to death on Onett. It won't happen to competitive players much at all.

A lot of people have a problem with the walls as well. A lot of characters have infinites against walls using jabs or tilts. Onett is unique among the wall stages in that it has hazards that will break up infinites. If someone puts you in a wall infinite on Onett, soon a car will come whizzing by breaking the combo. Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you smash DI down and tech on the opposite building when cars hit you? In fact, I'm not sure they can even KO in Brawl.

For Onett, it doesn't seem bannable to me yet, so I put it on counterpick.

Lets compare Mario Circuit to Bridge to see if they have the same problems.
1/3 of bridge's banworthy-ness was it's huge size. MC doesn't have this problem.
1/3 of bridge's banworthy-ness was walkoffs. MC has them, but it also has occasional hazards cutting across the center of the stage, meaning that it's not always safe to CG people there. I actually play DDD quite a bit, and I've been picking Mario Circuit a lot to see what it's like for DDD, and I've had reasonable difficulty getting a CG during the amount of time I have before the hazards come around.
1/3 of bridge's banworthy-ness was that the stage promotes camping with pikmin/lazers/whatever, which draws out matches. Circuit doesn't.

Both of these stages could very well end up banned later on in Brawl's life, but this early, I can't feel good about banning them yet.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Big C wouldn't be upset with you; he'd be happy that you were winning teams XD

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'll build carpetball if I can scratch some cash together. I've been thinking about building it anyways.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
os, big c would be really upset with me, but ill let you know soon. still not sure if im coming, want to make sure i am.

iggy, how much outta the way is it o,0?
I don't really know, it's a bit, either post where your leaving from or IM/PM it to me, and I'll mapquest it to see if it;s worth the trouble at all, or if it's largely out of the way; which it may be.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Double posting to bring you 2 notes of interest:

1. I'm advertising on AiB as well. Feel free to post there in my tournament thread if you want to convince that crowd to come too.

http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=1764

2. i confirmed the hogroast guy. we're going to actually build a roasting pit on site there, which won't be cheap, but I won't pass that cost on to you all, since we'll be able to use it for lots of other events in the future. The hog itself is going to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $200 or so, but that's not bad considering it'll feed 60 people. The bad thing is, I have to front the money for it, and I'm broke, so if anyone knows a good site I could use to setup pre-registered and pre-paying, I'd love to have a link so I could set that up and get some of the bookkeeping out of the way before everyone gets there.

Top Bottom