• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SFU Tri-Smash 2 (all 3 games!)- BC, Canada - Jan. 3/4, 2009

Metà

Smash Master
This tournament will be a two day event, featuring all three Smash games. Brawl singles will happen over the course of both days, with qualifying rounds (pools) on Saturday, and the main bracket on Sunday. I'll update this thread with more information when I have time, but for now here's some basic information regarding the location/time.

General Info
Date: January 3rd/4th (sat/sun)
Time: Starting at 10 am, both days, going until 10 pm on the 3rd, 8 pm on the 4th
Address: 8888 University Dr.
Room #: ASB 9896

NOTICE

With the tournament only a day away, here are a few last minute things I'd like to mention.

Food: On both days, we'll be ordering pizza sometime in the afternoon, and we'll be charging about $1 per slice to cover our costs. We'll try to get some water available, but there are also vending machines nearby (just don't count on them being in full stock).

Advertisement: I will have a digital camera at the venue on both days, and will at some point be trying to get pictures for this SSBM-related cause of mine. I'd really appreciate if people could help me out with this by volunteering to help me complete this.

Events

1v1 main events are $10/person
2v2 events are $10/team
Crew battles are $20/crew
all side events are $5/person
Pot split will be 60/30/10 unless otherwise stated

Saturday, Jan 3rd:
SSBB 1v1
SSBB 2v2
SSB 1v1
SSB 2v2
SSBM crews

Sunday, Jan 4th:
SSBM 1v1
SSBM 2v2
SSBM low tier
SSBM Falcon-only

Schedule

Saturday
10:00 - doors open, play some friendlies, register for events
11:00 - Brawl doubles registration closes, tournament starts
1:00 - Brawl singles will start as soon as we get to grand finals in doubles
4:00 - sign-ups for SSB singles, tourney starts no later than 4:30
5:30/6:00 - SSB doubles
7:30 - Melee crew battles
10:00 - officially closed for the day

General Gameplay Rules

1. No modded controllers or use of turbo/macro buttons. Cosmetic mods are fine, such as putting stickers/spray paint on your controller, but you are not allowed to use a controller that has been modded to enhance its performance in any way (short hop/light shield mods, etc.).

2. No disruptive pausing. Pause will be ON in case of external interruptions (ie: tv goes static or something). Do not abuse this or you may be disqualified.

3. Items will be turned off (and set to none, for Brawl) for all events.

4. Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them (Mewtwo's Soul Stunner, the Ice Climber freeze glitch), or any glitch or trick that freezes the match or makes it in any way unfinishable are banned. Using them will result in the immediate forfeit of the match.

5. No excessive stalling (subject to interpretation). Techniques such as Peach's Wallbombing and Jiggly's Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or to maneuver around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively stall a match, such as dropping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath, is banned. I will be on the tournament floor and can be called in at any time to enforce this rule during a match.

6. Non-game-freezing infinites (see rule 4) are allowed, but using them as stalling maneuvers (see rule 5 for interpretation of stalling) is banned. Examples of infinites are DK's infinite throw trap (SSB), wobbling/IC's tilt infinite (SSBM), Dedede's chainthrow, etc. They're part of the game, deal with it.

7. In the case of an exact tie, a winner will be established by playing a single 1-stock match on the same stage with the same characters. Disregard the 'sudden death' prompted by the game.

8. Advanced slobs (counter-picking) will be used for all events unless otherwise stated. Additionally, double blinds may be called for the first round of any set.

Game-Specific Rules

SSBM Singles
Bracket: Double elimination + round robin (1 round of pools; number of games per set will be set accordingly) for seeding
Stock: 4
Time limit: 8 minutes (10 for semi-finals and finals)
Rounds: Best 2/3 matches, best out of 5 in the Finals (losers/winners/grand)
Neutral (random) stages: Pokemon Stadium, Battlefield, Final Destination, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, Kirby 64 (Dreamland)
Banned stages: Hyrule Temple, Venom, Fourside, Great Bay, Yoshi's Island 64, Brinstar Depths, Onett, Flatzone, Icicle Mt, Big Blue. All other stages allowed for counter-picks
Banned stages may be selected for counter-picks if both players agree
Each player is allowed to ban ONE stage for the duration of that set, and cannot be selected either by random select or counter-pick

SSBM Doubles
Bracket: Double elimination (may be seeded by round robin)
Time limit: 8 minutes (10 for semi-finals and finals)
Rounds: Best 2/3 matches, best out of 5 in the Finals (losers/winners/grand)
Neutral (random) stages: Pokemon Stadium, Battlefield, Final Destination, Yoshi's Story, Kirby 64 (Dreamland)
Banned stages: Fountain of Dreams (due to lag), Hyrule Temple, Venom, Fourside, Great Bay, Yoshi's Island 64, Brinstar Depths, Onett, Flatzone, Icicle Mt, Big Blue. All other stages allowed for counter-picks
Team attack: ON
Life-stealing allowed
Banned stages may be selected for counter-picks if all players agree.
Each team is allowed to ban ONE stage for the duration of that set, and cannot be selected either by random select or counter-pick

SSBM Low Tier (sorry, no DK this time)
Bracket: Double elimination, or round robin if not enough people enter
Everything else: Same as SSBM Singles, except you are restricted to low/bottom tier characters (listed below)
Characters allowed:
-Link
-Roy
-Young Link
-Pikachu
-Zelda*
-Mr. Game & Watch
-Ness
-Yoshi
-Mewtwo
-Bowser
-Kirby
-Pichu

*Switching to Sheik is not allowed. If you transform by accident, you are required to transform back into Zelda immediately and forfeit 1 stock. If you try to actually use Sheik to fight/recover/anything you will forfeit the round.

SSBM Crews
Bracket: Single elimination (seeded by skill level)
Pot split: winner takes all
Size of crews: 3-6 players
Stock per crew: 20 stock will be allocated to each team. It is up to the players in each crew to decide how their stock will be split up.
Minimum stock per player:
If crew of 6 --> 3 stock
" " 5 --> 4 stock
" " 4 --> 5 stock
" " 3 --> 6 stock
Stage picks: Every round a stage will be picked by random from the list of neutral stages. Additionally, each crew can choose to ban one stage from that set if all players in the crew agree.
General rules: Stock carry over from matches but not percent. Switching characters between matches is not allowed. At the beginning of each match (except the first), the player with fewer lives must jump off the edge until they are at the correct number of stock, while the other player waits (charging attacks is not allowed during this time); after that, both players must stand at opposite end of the stage and remain still until another player (doesn't matter who, as long as they are not in the match) give the "3, 2, 1, GO".
Counter-picking: The first match will be double blinds, for both the character and the player (each team will select a starter with their choice of character as part of the blind). Order of players or choice of characters does not have to be chosen before the set; they may be chosen accordingly.

SSB64 Singles
Bracket: Double elimination
Stock: 5
Rounds: Best of 3, best of 5 in finals (winners/losers/grand)
Neutral stages: Dreamland
Banned stages: Yoshi's Story, Sector Z, Mushroom Kingdom. All other stages allowed for counter-picks (no player-selected stage bans)
Banned stages may be selected for counter-picks if both players agree

SSB64 Doubles
Bracket: Double elimination, or round robin if not enough people enter
Pot split: 70/30
Stock: 5
Rounds: Best of 3, best of 5 in finals (winners/losers/grand)
Neutral stages: Dreamland, Hyrule (note that either stage can be chosen for the first round if both teams agree, otherwise a coin will be flipped)
Banned stages: Same as SSB singles
Life stealing: ON

SSBB Singles
Bracket: Double elimination (possibly seeded by pools)
Stock: 3
Time limit: 7 minutes
Rounds: Best of 3, best of 5 in finals
Neutral stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Smashville, Yoshi's Island
Counterpick stages: Lylat Cruise, Delphino Plaza, Castle Siege, Pictochat, Norfair, Jungle Japes, Rainbow Cruise, Green Greens*, Brinstar, Pokemon Stadium 1
Banned stages: everything else (unless both players agree to play on a banned stage)
Each player is allowed to ban ONE stage for the duration of that set, and cannot be selected either by random select or counter-pick
* may be banned

SSBB Doubles
Bracket: Double elimination
Stock: 3
Time limit: 7 minutes
Rounds: Best of 3, best of 5 in finals
Stages: see SSBB singles
Each team is allowed to ban ONE stage for the duration of that set, and cannot be selected either by random select or counter-pick

Rules for counter-picking (for those new to Smash tournaments)

Definition: Counter-picking is when a player picks a stage or character that gives himself an advantage over his opponent; this occurs after each match in a set.

These rules have been well-established over the course of competitive smash and are pretty much the same everywhere you go. Here’s a guide on how a set would happen in singles or doubles, using counter-picking:

For the first round of the set, you both pick your characters at the same time, then the stage is selected at random from the list of neutral stages (see stage rules for each event). If you think your opponent may be trying to counter-pick you in the first match, you can call double blinds, which is when you both tell someone outside the match who you will be using, and he repeats them back to you, so you can’t know who your opponent is going to choose when you make your decision. Once the winner of that match has been established, the stage/character selection goes as follows: 1) loser selects stage, 2) winner selects character, 3) loser selects character accordingly. This procedure is repeated after each match until the set is over.

Also, there is one more thing you should know about (doesn't apply to SSB), and that is Dave’s Stupid Rule. The rule is that you can’t counter-pick a stage you have already won on in that set, whether it was chosen by random or by counter-pick.

Players attending

*means unconfirmed
out of province

1. Meta
2. Bwmat
3. chocolate thunda
4. Rampage
5. Clouderz
*6. cedrick
7. DaZe
*8. talking_chicken
9. FalseFalco
10. NoobKing
11. Dynamism?
12. CorbinVenida
*13. Superboom
14. Sion
15. Rusty Shacklefurd
16. Firestorm88
17. SpaceFalcon
*18. MrLegend
19. Lib3r4t3
*20. A6M Zero
*21. Marioreincarnate
22. FBM
23. Taffy
24. Lysander
25. Hillary
*26. Eggz
27. Koskinator
28. Blue Yoshi
29. Coud
30. FrenchToasts
31. Supertramp
*32. Supertramp's friend
33. Silent Wolf
34. iTank
*35. pkmvodka
36. ZZZZ
37. DJ Combo
38. Spin-Dash
39. MisfireJ
40. Gimpyfish
*41. Grimice
42. S1NN
43. Jail
44. Monty
45. f0x_slay3r
46. Byuusan
*47. Sesshomuronay
*48. Booshk
*49. Marvic
*50. Alex
*51. Ding
52. 321slash
53. Gamepro

Equipment

What we need:
-at least 10 TV's
-as many Wii's and GCN's as we have TV's
-some N64's
-extra equipment such as extension cables, RF adaptors, etc. (if we need it)

What we have right now:
-6 TV's
-6 Wii's
-2 GCN's
-2 N64's
-2 recording devices
-1 projector (used for friendlies)

People bringing stuff:

At SFU:
-video projector
-bunch of extension cables
-possibly a couple TV's

Meta:
-2 TV's
-1 Wii
-1 GCN
-1 N64
-1 DVD recorder

Bwmat:
-1 TV
-1 Wii

Rampage:
-1 TV
-1 Wii (no Brawl, 2 Melee discs)

Koskinator:
-1 TV (possibly another)
-1 Wii

Firestorm88:
-1 Wii

Dynamism:
-1 TV
-1 Wii
-1 N64 (w/ 2 controllers)

L1b3r4t3:
-1 GCN

Rusty Shacklefurd:
-1 VCR

Clouderz

Smash Ace
ill probably go, is it going to be in the engineering room like where jack always hosts? O_O

Metà

Smash Master
ill probably go, is it going to be in the engineering room like where jack always hosts? O_O
Yakal already answered it. It's a much bigger room, and if no one is doing anything in the main lobby, we may be able to play out there too. There's always plenty of space, but our main concern is getting MORE SET-UPS.

We need at least like, 10 TV's, to run this tournament as smoothly as possible. I'm going to see what I can do about renting TV's, and I'll be bringing two myself.

Clouderz

Smash Ace
Yakal already answered it. It's a much bigger room, and if no one is doing anything in the main lobby, we may be able to play out there too. There's always plenty of space, but our main concern is getting MORE SET-UPS.

We need at least like, 10 TV's, to run this tournament as smoothly as possible. I'm going to see what I can do about renting TV's, and I'll be bringing two myself.
will it be bigger than the regular SFU tourney? :O

cedrick

Smash Apprentice
gogo out of province smashers. im tired of playing (and losing) to what seems to be the same 5-6 ppl haha

also, coquitlam crews =)

DaZe

Smash Apprentice
I'll do what I can to show up, but could someone clarify the date for me? As far as I know, January is long gone, unless we're talking about '09 here. Either way, count me in.

FalseFalco

Smash Master
I'm down then
provided I have sufficient funds
I will try to bring people too

DONT EFF THIS UP EVAN LOL

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
lol Jan 08 nice

I'M ****IN' THERE WITH A TV AND MELEE+BRAWL+64(2CONTS) AND TONS OF PLAYERS!!!
And I'll finally get to meet evan lol

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Sweet, the next big one. I'll make sure I'm available for the Brawl day at the very least. I'll also make up some posters or whatever you need to help advertise the event. Let's do it in advance and see if others will also advertise at their campus bulletin boards. Maybe around November.

unityole

Smash Lord
I'm definitely coming, alancitu better show up to this.
also I might not participate in melee events
to all SSB64 smashers, this might be the only chance to play Alancitu from PERU, YES PERU, grab ur controller and play some old school 64, k thanks.

Clouderz

Smash Ace
OH MAN I FORGOT

Ced is in coquitlam!!
wait isn't clouderz as well? lol
Port Moody.

gogo out of province smashers. im tired of playing (and losing) to what seems to be the same 5-6 ppl haha

also, coquitlam crews =)
Coquitlam FTW

lol Jan 08 nice

I'M ****IN' THERE WITH A TV AND MELEE+BRAWL+64(2CONTS) AND TONS OF PLAYERS!!!
And I'll finally get to meet evan lol
YEHS james is coming, needs more anger! MM's yay !!

I'm definitely coming, alancitu better show up to this.

also I might not participate in melee events
oh shi- the boom is coming, cant wait to play you =D

I can't know for sure but I doubt there'll be anything to prevent me from going. Then I can bring mah VEE SEE ARE and record some SMASH, maybe this time with CLOUDERZ DESTROYING PEOPLE IN FINALS.

yeah man, you need to record =D

to all SSB64 smashers, this might be the only chance to play Alancitu from PERU, YES PERU, grab ur controller and play some old school 64, k thanks.

lol im starting to play 64 a lot by myself ....in my room....alone....against CPU's haha, ill make sure to play 64 =D

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
Me Rampage pick mE! I will be top form for this and be ready and wont spend an all nighter etc.

No bail this time, no bail I poromorissed Eric I wouldn't bail because he would be there if he could!

Melee doubles teamziez Daltsy get your ****in' *** to this *** ****it I need you there! (wub <3)

Good to hear you're doing more 64 Davy, hopefully some Brawl skills tranfer to that and we mm yes.

Peru? My bro and dad will be there next month! There better be 64 doubles too, me need partner. :O

*JAMES ALSO NEEDS A CREW TO JOIN FOR MELEE AND BRAWL AND 64 WITH THE SLIMMEST CHANCE THAT I HAVE NOBODY COMING WITH JAMES LIKE THE ARMSTRONG CREW/VERNON CREW/ETC*
"SO SOMEBODY PLEASE MAKE JAMES PART OF YOUR CREW IN ALL 3 GAMES BECAUSE HE WILL DOMINATE ALL 3 VERY MUCH AND YOUR CREW WILL LOSE IF HE IS NOT IN YOUR CREW"

Rusty Shacklefurd

Smash Lord
South-east of New Zealand, and no, you'll never fi
*JAMES ALSO NEEDS A CREW TO JOIN FOR MELEE AND BRAWL AND 64 WITH THE SLIMMEST CHANCE THAT I HAVE NOBODY COMING WITH JAMES LIKE THE ARMSTRONG CREW/VERNON CREW/ETC*
"SO SOMEBODY PLEASE MAKE JAMES PART OF YOUR CREW IN ALL 3 GAMES BECAUSE HE WILL DOMINATE ALL 3 VERY MUCH AND YOUR CREW WILL LOSE IF HE IS NOT IN YOUR CREW"
Coquitlam?

Clouderz

Smash Ace
why does this have to be a 2 day event, cant we just have one big bracket? ;_;, or like brawl on one day abd melee and 64 on other?

Top Bottom