• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Press Conference

derek.haines

Smash Ace
Nintendo's Japanese and American press conferences have spawned a storm of craziness and announcements of hardware, software, and everything in between. It's still being sorted out as announcements continue rolling in, but here's what we know so far.
A BIG THANKS TO CHIEF MENDEZ FOR LETTING ME STEAL HIS AWESOME POST TO USE AS THE FIRST ONE HERE.

>Nintendo DSi
>Wii's storage solution
>They're now called "Nintendo Points", rather than just 'Wii Points'
>DS Ware online store
>The pedometer attachment's for a Wii Fit-esque DSi game
>1000 free Nintendo points for buying a DSi (before 2010)

Which takes care of the hardware side of things. Now, the games, in no particular order...

Legend:
Red = Wii Title
Blue = DS Title

>Punch-Out!!
>Sin & Punishment 2
>Taiko Drum Master (w/Drum Controller!)
>Let's Tap (obscure, but it's being developed by Yuji Naka's studio)
>Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (remake of the PSX original)
>Cosmic Walker (basically an outer space simulator, possibly along the lines of Endless Ocean?)
>Trace Memory
>Monster Hunter 3 tri~
>Tales of "Mothership" game
>Sonic and the Black Knight
>Samurai Warriors 3 (exercise game of the year--I'm calling it)
>Oboro Muramasa Yotoden
>Picross 3D
>Tatsunoko vs. Capcom
>Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces
>Rune Factory Wii
>Rygar: The Battle of Argus
>Tenchu IV
>Harvest Moon Wii
>Wand of Magic (or something. Trace runs to cast magic)
>Endless Ocean 2
>An NHK game (I find this concept to be hilarious)
>FRAGILE
>Dynamic Action (not the real name, but it's a hack n' slash with GIANT enemies)
>Cave Story (Considered by some to be best example Metroidvania-style gameplay.)
>Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time (for both DS and Wii!)
>Phantasy Star 0
>Family Athletic Lifestyle (the pedometer game)
>Mario & Luigi 3
>Stage Debut (YES!)
>New Wario Ware game
>Mega Man Starforce 3
>Valkyrie Profile: The Accused One
>Chocobo Fables 2
>Tales of Hearts
>Professor Layton 3 (has a subtitle, can't remember it)
>Gyakuten Kenji! (AKA Turnabout Prosecutor)
>Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
>The 7th Dragon

------------

EDIT - And the English conference hath begun! Of note/not already covered by the Japanese summit:

>Rygar in action: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/40691.html
>Punch-Out!! releases in North America during before Q3 of 2009
>Sin & Punishment 2 being published by Nintendo, out in "early 2009"
>CLUB NINTENDO'S COMING TO NORTH AMERICA!! (By year's end, no less!)
>Wii Speak Channel downloadable w/purchase of Wii Speak. Basically a simpler Wii-enabled VOIP client
>DSi Ware Shop's debut games are "DSi-specific" ports of Brain Age 1 & 2
>Other "Play on Wii" games (cheap ports of GCN games on Wii with maybe some updated controls or something) are DK Jungle Beat, both GCN Metroid titles, Chibi-Robo, Pikmin 2, and Mario Power Tennis
>DSi won't be out anywhere but Japan until "well into 2009" (Awwww....)
>Nintendo's publishing The Conduit!
>Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon officially announced for US and EU release (Yay!)

Keep in mind the event's still ongoing as of this time, so make sure and regularly check your gaming blog(s) of choice all throughout Friday![/QUOTE]

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/conference2008fall/mov/wii.html?n10[/url] -- Gameplay videos from the conference. There's alot of awesomeness/quirkiness/Japanese-yness in there. The Wii suddenly perked up ALOT.

ozg82889

Smash Journeyman
the DS with DS download store sounds interesting. hopefully you can download GB,GBC, and GBA games along with select games aready avaliable on the wii virtual console. transfering games like shining force, super mario rpg, along with others would be nice.
i bought a ds lite during christmas though and it was the PH special edition one to. the L button has something lose though as it doesn't work well or at all sometimes.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Yay, I'm super happy about all of this. To quote myself from earlier:

Chief Mendez the Magnificent said:
HOLY **** KLONOA

...TRACE MEMORY!?

Punch-Out looks like black & Bruised, but still awesome. Little Mac definitely for SSB4.

Yay Echoes of Time.

Sonic and the Black Knight...actually looks pretty cool.

OBORO!!!!

Phantasy Star 0 makes me happy.

Miis on DS!?

Mario RPG 3!?

STAGE DEBUT!?

...My God. I think my head just exploded from all that awesome.
And here's what I've managed to compile so far from all this sudden craziness:

>Nintendo DSi
>Wii's storage solution
>They're now called "Nintendo Points", rather than just 'Wii Points'
>DS Ware online store
>The pedometer attachment's for a Wii Fit-esque DSi game
>1000 free Nintendo points for buying a DSi (before 2010)

Which takes care of the hardware side of things. Now, the games, in no particular order...

Legend:
Red = Wii Title
Blue = DS Title

>Punch-Out!!
>Sin & Punishment 2
>Taiko Drum Master (w/Drum Controller!)
>Let's Tap (obscure, but it's being developed by Yuji Naka's studio)
>Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (remake of the PSX original)
>Cosmic Walker (basically an outer space simulator, possibly along the lines of Endless Ocean?)
>Trace Memory
>Monster Hunter 3 tri~
>Tales of "Mothership" game
>Sonic and the Black Knight
>Samurai Warriors 3 (exercise game of the year--I'm calling it)
>Oboro Muramasa Yotoden
>Picross 3D
>Tatsunoko vs. Capcom
>Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces
>Rune Factory Wii
>Rygar: The Battle of Argus
>Tenchu IV
>Harvest Moon Wii
>Wand of Magic (or something. Trace runs to cast magic)
>Endless Ocean 2
>An NHK game (I find this concept to be hilarious)
>FRAGILE
>Dynamic Action (not the real name, but it's a hack n' slash with GIANT enemies)
>Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time (for both DS and Wii!)
>Phantasy Star 0
>Family Athletic Lifestyle (the pedometer game)
>Mario & Luigi 3
>Stage Debut (YES!)
>New Wario Ware game
>Mega Man Starforce 3
>Valkyrie Profile: The Accused One
>Chocobo Fables 2
>Tales of Hearts
>Professor Layton 3 (has a subtitle, can't remember it)
>Gyakuten Kenji! (AKA Turnabout Prosecutor)
>Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
>The 7th Dragon

...And there were a few other awesome games I couldn't recognize. Yeah, I'm freaking out after all this. I really hope we get at least a few more actual surprises at the English event, and not just "hey look--Punch Out!".

Also is it just me, or is anybody else excited/worried about how easy it's going to be to run ROMs on the DSi? I'm thinking of buying one just for that purpose...

------------

EDIT - And the English conference hath begun! Of note/not already covered by the Japanese summit:

>Rygar in action: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/40691.html
>Punch-Out!! releases in North America during before Q3 of 2009
>Sin & Punishment 2 being published by Nintendo, out in "early 2009"
>CLUB NINTENDO'S COMING TO NORTH AMERICA!! (By year's end, no less!)
>Wii Speak Channel downloadable w/purchase of Wii Speak. Basically a simpler Wii-enabled VOIP client
>DSi Ware Shop's debut games are "DSi-specific" ports of Brain Age 1 & 2
>Other "Play on Wii" games (cheap ports of GCN games on Wii with maybe some updated controls or something) are DK Jungle Beat, both GCN Metroid titles, Chibi-Robo, Pikmin 2, and Mario Power Tennis
>DSi won't be out anywhere but Japan until "well into 2009" (Awwww....)
>Nintendo's publishing The Conduit!
>Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon officially announced for US and EU release (Yay!)

Keep in mind the event's still ongoing as of this time, so make sure and regularly check your gaming blog(s) of choice all throughout Friday!

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Also is it just me, or is anybody else excited/worried about how easy it's going to be to run ROMs on the DSi? I'm thinking of buying one just for that purpose...
It's already easy to run Roms on a DS.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Proof E3 means nothing to Nintendo any more.

Your missing World at War. Well looks like i gotta go look for a job now...Nintendo is going to burn my Wallet.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
It's already easy to run Roms on a DS.
Yeah, but I don't own a flash cart, so that's kept me out of the loop. And they're not particularly easy to get ahold of either.

So yeah, what derek said. I'm thinking that an hour after release, there'll be a hack up on romsite or DGE that'll let you pop DS ROMs onto any SD card along with the hack, then boot it up as an app on the DSi.

Ridiculously easy.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Yes Metroid Prime AND Echos are coming back, possibly with Wii controls. IF that happens Well its official

Nintendo wants our souls. DAWN OF SOULS!!!!

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Yes Metroid Prime AND Echos are coming back, possibly with Wii controls. IF that happens Well its official

Nintendo wants our souls. DAWN OF SOULS!!!!
Don't get too excited just yet man. :chuckle:

For all we know right now, Ninty could just be putting these out for the benefit of their big new expanded audience that have always wondered what that little purple and black disc next to the big teal one on the Disc Channel is for.

...In other words, they might just be straight ports. Then again, Ninty did at one point show off a version of Echoes that was running with motion controls...

EDIT - AUGH NINTENDO WHY YOU DO THIS TO ME

"The DSi will use the "AAC" format for music."

GOD F*CKING D*MMIT

...Sorry. Anyways, apparently one of the general uses for two cameras is to combine two pictures. An example given is to take a picture of someone else while simultaneously taking a vanity shot, then morphing them together for hours of cross-breeding fun!

Also really neat: you may have heard about how you can "control the pitch and tone of the DSi's sound output", and have no idea what that means. So I give you Reggie:

Reggie fils-Aime said:
You may have a piece of music that you don't want to listen to the vocals, you only want to hear the instrumentals...the audio filter will allow you to do that.
NEAT.

Uh, let's see...the DSi comes with the DS Opera Browser bulit-in, and is apparently faster...The Conduit comes out in Q1 2009...Rhythm Heaven, same release window as The Conduit (yay)...

And Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon has some stupidly cool online features. Voice chat, a constantly-changing online shop of new items you purchase with in-game gold (so in other words...it'll somehow play like the free-roaming FE8), and even the ability to loan units to a friend over Wi-Fi, then get them back later w/all their levels. I'm imagining controversy over WoW-like Power Leveling. "Arr units rever 20 in two day!"

LOL RACIST CHINESE JOKE!

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
That game looks really good. This confrence just keeps getting better.
It's better than good. It's better than great. It's better than awesome, amazing, stupidly good, and godly.

It's motherlovin' Cave Story, baby!

I seriously can't put into words how happy this makes me. This game is easily in my top 5...no, Top 3 games of all time. And it's free. WHY HAVEN'T YOU ALL PLAYED CAVE STORY YET!?

There's a link in my sig--go download it (it's free, in English, and only like, 2MB), love it as much as I do, then eagerly await the WiiWare version and all the extra stuff packaged in with it.

...Oh, and also Jungle Beat's the first "Play on Wii" game to release, on Dec. 11th. Pikmin comes out later that same month, and yes, it's been confirmed that all these ports are being updated with spiffy visuals and Wiimote controls.

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
Someone link me to Mario RPG 3 and Sonic Black Knight videos...please?

@Cheif
Downloading Cave Story atm.

And I can see F-Zero coming out soon....

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
The GCN re-releases are what interest me. Melee 2.0 with online hopefully. :)
Maybe, but probably not. It'd be really, really cool...but I get the idea that Nintendo's trying to capitalize on getting quality software out on the market that supports the Wiimote.

I mean, if your average Joe saw Melee on Wii, all they'd see is a worse-looking Brawl without half the characters or content.

@'Washu: YAY MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Anyway, aside from the snippets in the Japanese trailer montage, vids of either of those have yet to hit the internet, and probably won't until tomorrow or later tonight, as the Media Summit winds down and embargoes are lifted.

We know Mario & Luigi 3 features Bowser as an almost-permanent party member, which makes me extremely happy...and S&TBK's combat at least...vaguely reminds me of Kingdom Hearts, actually. Thought, that's just from about three seconds of seeing Sonic moving really fast and smacking things with his sword, so I'm probably totally wrong on that.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Where the heck's pilot wings >:o
All this stuff is good and all but the games are either known before or are not that important...
However the other announcements are interesting...

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Anyway, aside from the snippets in the Japanese trailer montage, vids of either of those have yet to hit the internet, and probably won't until tomorrow or later tonight, as the Media Summit winds down and embargoes are lifted.

We know Mario & Luigi 3 features Bowser as an almost-permanent party member, which makes me extremely happy...and S&TBK's combat at least...vaguely reminds me of Kingdom Hearts, actually. Thought, that's just from about three seconds of seeing Sonic moving really fast and smacking things with his sword, so I'm probably totally wrong on that.
Dude, seeing bowser in it=wiiiiinnnn!!

Made my brain almost explode :p

-:bowser:Bowser King

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
Well, can anyone give me pcis of Mario RPG 3?

What system its going to be on...so it'll have more than Mario and Weegee playable?

I WANT MALLOW, NAO.

@King, lawl agree.
Bowser is my 2nd fave Mario character.

Edit:CHIEF
HOW DO I KILL STUFF IN CAVESTORY

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Well, can anyone give me pcis of Mario RPG 3?

What system its going to be on...so it'll have more than Mario and Weegee playable?

I WANT MALLOW, NAO.

@King, lawl agree.
Bowser is my 2nd fave Mario character.
It's a DS game.

As for pictures...hmm...

...Those inflated Toads both scare and amuse me.

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
Those fat toads make me happy.
And Sonic seems to be looking up.
The Original KH was good, and if its mimics that, then Sonic isnt doing so bad.

Now what're the controls for Cave Story?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Z = Jump, X = Shoot, Arrow Keys = Move, press Up to enter doors

THAT'S IT (I think there's a weapon switch button as well...maybe C? Or S? Oh, just hit keys until something happens).

Also: Mario & Luigi 3 trailer! A DUNGEON INSIDE BOWSER'S STOMACH!? = http://www.destructoid.com/mario-lu...owser-stomach-dungeon-confirmed--106013.phtml

EDIT - Yeah, about the water thing. That probably has something to do with Bowser somehow gaining the ability to consume basically anything. So maybe he's trying to drown Mario & Luigi, or something?

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
Those toads look weird O_O.

Bowser seems to be....drinking water. Not sure If he's getting sprayed with it (a likely weakness) though.

To me, Bowser seems to be on the top screen helping the Mario Bros by drinking the water.

Considering it was arrows pointing below.

Edit:I looked closer at the screen, im an idiot, HE WANT TO KEEL THEM

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Z = Jump, X = Shoot, Arrow Keys = Move, press Up to enter doors

THAT'S IT (I think there's a weapon switch button as well...maybe C? Or S? Oh, just hit keys until something happens).

Also: Mario & Luigi 3 trailer! A DUNGEON INSIDE BOWSER'S STOMACH!? = http://www.destructoid.com/mario-lu...owser-stomach-dungeon-confirmed--106013.phtml

EDIT - Yeah, about the water thing. That probably has something to do with Bowser somehow gaining the ability to consume basically anything. So maybe he's trying to drown Mario & Luigi, or something?
Bowser still seems to be against mario and luigi. I'm guessing they team up later on.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Wait, TGS is already happening?

Anyway, I KNEW Nintendo wouldn't abandon their hardcore up and a sudden.

Now the next question is:

Will these games be bought by the hardcore?

Edit: The Monty Moles wearing Fawful hats was full of WIN!

Bowser King

Have It Your Way

Anyway, I KNEW Nintendo wouldn't abandon their hardcore up and a sudden.

Now the next question is:

Edit: The Monty Moles wearing Fawful hats was full of WIN!
The smart ones of course ;)

EDIT: might as well say it...

this is in no way trying to hurt your feelings If your not going to buy an of these games.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Ninty has never, in all it's history, been part of the Tokyo Game Show. Instead, they usually hold an independent media summit around this time of year, which is what's happening today and tomorrow.

If the hardcore don't buy Muramasa, Cave Story, and Sin & Punishment 2...then they're not hardcore. Simple. :bee:

XACE-K

Smash Master
Holy s***! A new Punch-Out AND Mario RPG!?

I have somewhat regained faith in Nintendo again.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
*head explodes*

Trying to keep that first post (thanks again, Chief Mendez) updated is a losing battle. Things are still coming at a rapid-fire pace. Every time I think we're caught up, I'll look at a different blog and they've got something completely awesome that I've totally missed.

It's like Christmas. It really is.

M@v

Subarashii!
SIN AND PUNISHMENT 2!(Shats pants, then runs to gamestop to reserve)
Metroid prime and metroid prime 2 for wii?!

Maybe Nintendo DOES CARE about its fans?!

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
i would love a new jet set radio. i would be happy if they just made remakes of jets grind radio and jet set radio future.
Which...are the same game, right? I only ever played the Dreamcast one, but I was under the assumption JSRF was just a port of said Dreamcast game to XBOX.

There is the occasional rumor that goes around about how SEGA's considering that. I too would absolutely love for a sequel to maybe my favorite DC game to be put on Wii...

tirkaro

Smash Champion
Sin and Punishment 2 looks abso-freakin-lutely amazing. I'm a bit worried about, what apparently looks like, a new protagonist though. I hope they at least continue on what happens the last game.

notftomearth7

Smash Lord
On the blue planet next to the sun, can't miss it!
Woah a Sin and Punishment 2. I've been waiting for an arcade style rail shooter to hit consoles for a long time.

And as far as the Mario RPG...I'm scared. I didn't even know their was a second one, and I'm afraid they'll screw up.

Punch-Out's new graphics remind me of Black and Bruised for the PS2, which makes the possibility of PO2 being B-rate at best.

I'm somewhat interested in the re-released Shadow Dragon

But the thing that makes me angry is the games like Let's Tap and the drumming game, like people need more Wii controller **** laying around.

The outer space simulator is stupid sounding

Sonic and the Black Knight??? Don't you mean Dark Brotherhood?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
And as far as the Mario RPG...I'm scared. I didn't even know their was a second one, and I'm afraid they'll screw up.
Superstar Saga > Brothers in Time...but not by too terribly much. It'll still be fun and worth your time though.

Punch-Out's new graphics remind me of Black and Bruised for the PS2, which makes the possibility of PO2 being B-rate at best.
THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I SAID!!

But c'mon, this is a 1st-party Nintendo game, not a third-string Activision/Atari/Acclaim/whoever made B&B game only loosely inspired by the NES classic that is Punch-Out!!

But the thing that makes me angry is the games like Let's Tap and the drumming game, like people need more Wii controller **** laying around.
You did not just call Taiko Drum Master bad. :mad:

A) Those games are amazingly fun.
B) The Wii version comes with it's own drum controller, so no "Wii controller ****".

And Let's Tap does look..."abstract", but it's Yuji Naka's (y'know...the guy who made Sonic?) only new game after Billy Hatcher, so there's gotta' be something to it.

Uh, no? :(

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
SIN AND PUNISHMENT 2!(Shats pants, then runs to gamestop to reserve)
Metroid prime and metroid prime 2 for wii?!

Maybe Nintendo DOES CARE about its fans?!
Or maybe they just like money and as a result they're remaking a game with no new appeal other than motion controls! :D
Unless they sound worth the buy I'll stick with the original, thanks very much. I don't feel like paying extra money to get motion controls.

And people wonder why I consider it a gimmick...

By the way, why is everyone referring to it as "Mario RPG 3"? Super Mario RPG is the only "Mario RPG". Call it a Mario & Luigi RPG or something like that so as not to confuse people like the above poster.

As for Shadow Dragon, thank god we're getting another Fire Emblem, and finally the first game. Although I really wish they'd just give us a VC release already, I want to play the originals. Either that or I'll just import the titles...

notftomearth7 said:
No...haven't you been paying attention? Sega's got three titles currently pending (or wait, did Dark Brotherhood come out?); Unleashed (multiplatform), Dark Brotherhood (DS), and Black Knight (Wii only). Which gives them all that much more room to fail just like the past 10 or so Sonic games have. (And before someone attacks me and says "RUSH WAS GOOD ZOMG" I'm not talking about that...you should be able to take a guess at what I am).

Top Bottom