• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Press Conference

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
wow, im kinda impressed with these conferences. the wii isnt looking that bad anymore. now derek.haines mentioned something about a wii storage solution. is there any details about this?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
You can save stuff on and read from SD cards. That's it.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Actually all your Data is being stored. Rumor has it that your VC games can be transferred to the DSi using the SD card slots. Whats already confirmed is that you can transfer your Mii's into the DSi's internal memory.

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
Actually all your Data is being stored. Rumor has it that your VC games can be transferred to the DSi using the SD card slots. Whats already confirmed is that you can transfer your Mii's into the DSi's internal memory.
wait everything is happening so fast. you can now import your miis to the DSi? thats really cool and you might be able to play VC games on your dsi? man nintendo is steppin up

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Whats already confirmed is that you can transfer your Mii's into the DSi's internal memory.
Wha?

I know Stage Debut uses Miis...but are you saying you can just keep your Miis on the DSi, regardless of whether or not you own said game?

And to clear up any confusion on the storage thing:

>In Spring 2009 (why so long?) a Wii System Update will be released over the Wii's WiFi Connection, and presumably alongside new 1st party software. It will allow you to download Wii Ware and VC games directly to your SD card, rather than having to make space on your Wii before moving it onto the card.

...Though I've heard conflicting reports of what this entails. Some sites report that you can download them to the SD card, but can't play them off of it, while some say you can. Some say the 2GB limit will stay, while a few blogs stated that Ninty's raising the maximum to 8GB.

Obviously we'd prefer it if we could use 8GB cards, and it would be ideal for us to be able to play games right off the cards...but even if we can't, it'd still better than the current system. Though not by much...

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
Wha?

I know Stage Debut uses Miis...but are you saying you can just keep your Miis on the DSi, regardless of whether or not you own said game?

And to clear up any confusion on the storage thing:

>In Spring 2009 (why so long?) a Wii System Update will be released over the Wii's WiFi Connection, and presumably alongside new 1st party software. It will allow you to download Wii Ware and VC games directly to your SD card, rather than having to make space on your Wii before moving it onto the card.

...Though I've heard conflicting reports of what this entails. Some sites report that you can download them to the SD card, but can't play them off of it, while some say you can. Some say the 2GB limit will stay, while a few blogs stated that Ninty's raising the maximum to 8GB.

Obviously we'd prefer it if we could use 8GB cards, and it would be ideal for us to be able to play games right off the cards...but even if we can't, it'd still better than the current system. Though not by much...
ok so that update will make us able to download them directly to a SD card. that still doesnt help since you cant play things off your SD card

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
ok so that update will make us able to download them directly to a SD card. that still doesnt help since you cant play things off your SD card
No, like I said, that's still a possibility, but I'm not sure.

So there's a chance we will be able to play them directly off of an SD card.

...But there's also a chance we'll only be enabled to download them to, but not play them off of, a card. In that case, it's still better than what we have right now, since we can download all the games we want to the SD card, regardless of storage space, and won't have to be online to get the games again.

The more I think about it, the more obvious it is that we will be able to play them from a card. Otherwise this would only change a tiny, insignificant part of the process.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
A) Why is everyone so quick to forget everything Nintendo's done so far just because of this? Nearly EVERYONE is all of a sudden like "I completely forgive Nintendo!" except for those who didn't doubt them in the first place. It sounds good and all but let's not count our chickens before they hatch, especially since I don't really think Nintendo's earned the benefit of the doubt here.
Because everybody was CERTAIN that Nintendo 100% abandoned them because of the crappy E3 and they're just glad that they didn't.

Throw in the fact that these games just aren't another 'Mario, Zelda, or Metroid' makes it better.

Now of course, for us, I'll wait until the hardcore buys these games. The consumer demanded and Nintendo supplied.

I just hope these games don't flop because they're not 'Mario, Zelda, or Metroid'

B) If people honestly buy remakes of the same game merely with motion controls you're only encouraging motion sensor the way it's been so far; they add it on, and NOTHING MORE, and they still manage to sell the games like crazy. Do what you will, but I don't intend to buy any of them unless there is a significant change other than that to the game, although I severely doubt it.
And Darkslash, no offense, but I can't believe you wouldn't buy Wind Waker before (from the sounds of it anyways, and I presume because it looked stupid or kiddy?) but now that it would have motion sensor you want it. Ugh.
LOL remakes. They still sell. The Final Mixes do just fine. And so far, we don't know what they added or took out. Maybe they took out the thing that people considered most annoying in Wind Waker.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
*blah blah blah whine whine whine pingas*
quiet you.

The Wiimakes are pretty much a godsend for people like me. I'm a man who lives absolutely nowhere near any used games outlet like Gamestop or EB games, and thus, rely on a local wal-mart to obtain my video games. Given that all GC games are discontinued, I can't buy any of the great GC games I missed, like Chibi Robo and Pikmin 2.

I could not be happier that they're being re-released, disgruntled nintendo purists be danmed.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
A) Why is everyone so quick to forget everything Nintendo's done so far just because of this? Nearly EVERYONE is all of a sudden like "I completely forgive Nintendo!" except for those who didn't doubt them in the first place. It sounds good and all but let's not count our chickens before they hatch, especially since I don't really think Nintendo's earned the benefit of the doubt here.
that is one of the major reasons I get annoyed with people.
"Nintendo does love us" wow....you're not there children so grow up.

You're not alone. At least until they announce a Star Fox and F-Zero game.
Just because it's not a Nintendo game you're not going to "forgive" them?
One of the major reason we don't get good games on wii.
Almost every gaming company knows that if it isn't nintendo people won't buy it/give it credit for being a good game. Unless there a child game company of course.

IMO I would rather wait and get a good f-zero then get a rushed f-zero that's not as good :ohwell:

-:bowser:Bowser King

Puddin

Smash Lord
that is one of the major reasons I get annoyed with people.
"Nintendo does love us" wow....you're not there children so grow up.

Just because it's not a Nintendo game you're not going to "forgive" them?
One of the major reason we don't get good games on wii.
Almost every gaming company knows that if it isn't nintendo people won't buy it/give it credit for being a good game. Unless there a child game company of course.

IMO I would rather wait and get a good f-zero then get a rushed f-zero that's not as good :ohwell:

Contradiction at it's greatest.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Contradiction at it's greatest.
Not really.

I said I hate when people say "Nintendo does care!" Meaning I hate it when people complain then return when they get what they want.

I also said that not forgiving them because they haven't released a Nintendo game is a stupid excuse. I never said "Nintendo cares for u!11!!!!!oneeleven"

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
@Firus: The Wiimakes aren't really for people like you and me. The Wii's already nearly outsold the Gamecube twice over, and even then, remember that for a lot of these Wii-makes, most people didn't even play them on their console of origin. So for some people, this is a second chance to play super-good games like Jungle Beat and Chibi-Robo that they (for whatever reason) missed the first go-round, while for (I imagine most) others, it's a slew of high-quality software they've never heard of before.

Yeah, it's silly from our perspective (though I can't wait to finally be able to find a copy of Chibi-Robo), but it's not like it's costing Ninty any sizable amount of money or development time, so why complain when so much good is done for so little?
The sensible purpose of this is for people who missed the games to get them. This is not the reason Nintendo is remaking them. They're remaking it because while casuals might not have wanted to play Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2, Pikmin, etc. originally, now that they'll have motion controls the casual gamers will be clamoring for them. Also, as we've already seen in this thread, there are people who are going to be re-buying the game JUST because it has motion sensor. Do you think Nintendo didn't anticipate that? Also, you speak of Gamecube games like they're for the freakin' Super Nintendo. True, they are hard to find. But there's an easy solution (it's how I got Path of Radiance); order it! You'll probably pay less for the original, including shipping, than you will for the new one. It was LAST GENERATION. There's no excuse to remake them. In other words, Nintendo's just doing this to cash in on previous titles now that they've got a ton of casuals who will buy it because of motion sensor. And for everyone hoping for a Melee 2.0? Hah! Forget it! If you SERIOUSLY think that Melee will come back with online for the Wii, you're living in a dream world. I severely doubt Nintendo will do that. Aside from other things, it'd detract from Brawl's sales.

Do you REALLY think they remade RE4 for people who missed it last generation? No, they remade it because it was a very popular game which could easily add motion sensor and allow them to re-sell it.

Bah. /rant

No, like I said, that's still a possibility, but I'm not sure.

So there's a chance we will be able to play them directly off of an SD card.

...But there's also a chance we'll only be enabled to download them to, but not play them off of, a card. In that case, it's still better than what we have right now, since we can download all the games we want to the SD card, regardless of storage space, and won't have to be online to get the games again.

The more I think about it, the more obvious it is that we will be able to play them from a card. Otherwise this would only change a tiny, insignificant part of the process.
Exactly what you said in the last paragraph, except less of it being obvious than it better be or this is idiotic.

It's better than what we have now, but right now we've got the equivalent of crap as far as storage goes and that would be only slightly better. Being able to store everything on the SD Card would be useful, but when it comes down to it if we can't play it off of the SD card it's going to cause a MAJOR inconvenience.
Also, I'm praying that someone finds a way to re-install the Homebrew Channel after the update. If it isn't already destroyed by a required update for a game, it will be destroyed by that update, I assure you.

Because everybody was CERTAIN that Nintendo 100% abandoned them because of the crappy E3 and they're just glad that they didn't.
This is exactly the problem. E3 sucked, and it proved further that Nintendo's a bunch of idiots, but it is NOT the culprit here. This started before E3.

Throw in the fact that these games just aren't another 'Mario, Zelda, or Metroid' makes it better.
It's good that we're not getting another Metroid? Really?

Now of course, for us, I'll wait until the hardcore buys these games. The consumer demanded and Nintendo supplied.

I just hope these games don't flop because they're not 'Mario, Zelda, or Metroid'
Since when do games flop because they're not Mario, Zelda, or Metroid?

LOL remakes. They still sell. The Final Mixes do just fine. And so far, we don't know what they added or took out. Maybe they took out the thing that people considered most annoying in Wind Waker.
We don't even know if Wind Waker is being remade yet. And if they remove the cel-shaded graphics, I'll be shocked. Also, if they do, I'll be pissed, because it allows close-minded morons who can't play a game because of the art style to enjoy the game. Seriously, if you can't stand the fact that Wind Waker had cel-shaded graphics, you don't deserve to play the game.

Yes, remakes still sell. Except this generation, for whatever reason, remakes don't seem to actually be worth it. Remakes nowadays are just "YAY WE LUV NINTENDOE BECAOS THEY HAV GRATE GAEMS WITH MOTION SENSORZ!", and it's stupid.

quiet you.

The Wiimakes are pretty much a godsend for people like me. I'm a man who lives absolutely nowhere near any used games outlet like Gamestop or EB games, and thus, rely on a local wal-mart to obtain my video games. Given that all GC games are discontinued, I can't buy any of the great GC games I missed, like Chibi Robo and Pikmin 2.

I could not be happier that they're being re-released, disgruntled nintendo purists be danmed.
Again, why don't you try ordering them? It's not as if you're not able to get them. The originals are probably going to end up better than the remakes, and even if they're not, you owe it to yourself to play the original.

And how exactly am I a "disgrunted Nintendo purist"? I'm more of a guy pissed off because Nintendo's milking titles from LAST GENERATION by remaking them with gimmicky controls, and are still going to make massive amounts of money off of it.

I'm not whining, and no, I will not be quiet. You're happy with it? Great! I'm not, and I think it's moronic.

And the first person to tell me to not rain on other people's parade because I don't like it is going to get it.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
The sensible purpose of this is for people who missed the games to get them. This is not the reason Nintendo is remaking them. They're remaking it because while casuals might not have wanted to play Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2, Pikmin, etc. originally, now that they'll have motion controls the casual gamers will be clamoring for them. Also, as we've already seen in this thread, there are people who are going to be re-buying the game JUST because it has motion sensor.
Yeah, because all these "casuals" were around when Prime and Echoes were released, and just passed on them because the controls were too complicated. Totally.

And this thread does in no way equal popular thought or consensus.

But there's an easy solution (it's how I got Path of Radiance); order it! You'll probably pay less for the original, including shipping, than you will for the new one. It was LAST GENERATION. There's no excuse to remake them.
Believe it or not, the majority of consumers don't order things online. There's also the matter of publicity: there is none for all these old games. If a gamer who only started on Wii didn't actively go searching for these games, they'd not find them.

And for everyone hoping for a Melee 2.0? Hah! Forget it! If you SERIOUSLY think that Melee will come back with online for the Wii, you're living in a dream world. I severely doubt Nintendo will do that. Aside from other things, it'd detract from Brawl's sales.
Yeah, this is true. Motion controls obviously don't suit Smash Bros., and making an entire online infrastructure for a nearly 8 year old game would be ********.

Do you REALLY think they remade RE4 for people who missed it last generation? No, they remade it because it was a very popular game which could easily add motion sensor and allow them to re-sell it.
That was Capcom though. This is the company that spent the past decade "remaking" Street Fighter 3.

It's better than what we have now, but right now we've got the equivalent of crap as far as storage goes and that would be only slightly better. Being able to store everything on the SD Card would be useful, but when it comes down to it if we can't play it off of the SD card it's going to cause a MAJOR inconvenience.
What's funny is that I actually went and checked, and yep--you can, right now, store entire VC games and their save data on an SD card.

So if the only thing this Spring '09 update is going to do is let me download Shop Channel stuff to an SD card, rather than making me move it manually to the SD card, then I will have cause to /facepalm.

Yes, remakes still sell. Except this generation, for whatever reason, remakes don't seem to actually be worth it. Remakes nowadays are just "YAY WE LUV NINTENDOE BECAOS THEY HAV GRATE GAEMS WITH MOTION SENSORZ!", and it's stupid.
I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU MEAN AND NO I'M NOT BEING MOCKINGLY SARCASTIC

I'm more of a guy pissed off because Nintendo's milking titles from LAST GENERATION by remaking them with gimmicky controls, and are still going to make massive amounts of money off of it.
I still don't see what's so horrible about this.

What would you rather have them do with the, like, two months it'll take to port each game?

P.S. AND DON RAIN ON OTHER PPLS PRADES!! :mad:
10jks

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Yeah, because all these "casuals" were around when Prime and Echoes were released, and just passed on them because the controls were too complicated. Totally.

And this thread does in no way equal popular thought or consensus.
Exactly, they weren't around to get them, and now they'll see a game with motion sensor, not even care/realize the originals exist, and buy said "new" game.

And if you honestly think that tons of people aren't going to buy it again just because of motion sensor, you're mistaken.

Believe it or not, the majority of consumers don't order things online. There's also the matter of publicity: there is none for all these old games. If a gamer who only started on Wii didn't actively go searching for these games, they'd not find them.
My POINT was that there are all of these people complaining about how they can't get these games and now they can...but they do in fact have access to the games. Being too lazy to order them isn't an excuse for Nintendo to remake them.

That was Capcom though. This is the company that spent the past decade "remaking" Street Fighter 3.
Still, I imagine they both have the same motivation for remaking the games. If it was last generation the most they can do with it is add motion sensor and spiff-ify the graphics a little.

What's funny is that I actually went and checked, and yep--you can, right now, store entire VC games and their save data on an SD card.

So if the only thing this Spring '09 update is going to do is let me download Shop Channel stuff to an SD card, rather than making me move it manually to the SD card, then I will have cause to /facepalm.
Wait, are we JUST talking about VC titles? What about game saves? Are there still going to be a ton of games that won't copy data to the SD card?

It didn't flop because it wasn't Mario, Zelda, or Metroid.

Okay, I've never played Super Star OR Super Star Ultra, nor have I heard much of either, so I have no clue how similar they are, and as such, I have no clue if you're being sarcastic. And I don't feel like looking them both up, so could you just tell me?

Either way, first of all, if it is different from the original, it's an exception. Second of all, I was mostly talking about WII GAMES, thus the "MOTION SENSORZ".

I still don't see what's so horrible about this.

What would you rather have them do with the, like, two months it'll take to port each game?
Anything else? It's just a waste of time (for us, for them it'll make a ****load of cash) that could be better spent on...oh, I don't know, maybe giving us another Metroid game for DS already, preferably a 2D one? Or making a game that's not a gimmick-fest/stick-waggler?

RoyalBlood

Smash Ace
>_< I want a video of the New Tales Game D:
I can't find it >_<
And what are the other 2 "Tales of" looking games

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Firus...

I don't think you understand. There are TONS of people out there who weren't around for the Gamecube era. Now that everybody and their dog owns a Wii, it gives these people a chance to buy the games. Believe it or not, adding in motion sensing is a good idea. Wind Waker with 1:1 sword fighting? Metroid Prime 1 and 2 with motion controls like MP3? That's both awesome. I know they're games that are already out, but Nintendo is giving people who never had the chance to buy them (Myself included for Metroid Prime 1) to buy them, and with Motion Controls added in which isn't always a bad thing.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Wait, are we JUST talking about VC titles? What about game saves? Are there still going to be a ton of games that won't copy data to the SD card?
Currently, you can move and store the following to an SD card:

>Wii game save data
>Wii channels
>VC games
>VC game save data
>Wii Ware games
>Wii Ware game save data

...as well as music files and picture files for the Photo Channel. The only thing we can't do, really, is read that data from the SD card.

So in that light, I'm positive that this update will let us do so. :)

It didn't flop because it wasn't Mario, Zelda, or Metroid.
Really?

Okay, I've never played Super Star OR Super Star Ultra, nor have I heard much of either, so I have no clue how similar they are, and as such, I have no clue if you're being sarcastic. And I don't feel like looking them both up, so could you just tell me?
The original had 8 different games, and the DS remake has 15 of them. So between this, Fire Emblem DS, and the Final Fantasy DS games, it's safe to say that remakes of this generation are some of the best we've ever seen.

Second of all, I was mostly talking about WII GAMES, thus the "MOTION SENSORZ".
I know what you're talking about though. Looking from the perspective of a person who only played Nintendo systems, RE4 Wii had all the awesome stuff they added tot he PS2 port, but I can't think of any other Wii remakes that are really worth buying over the original *coughoamicough*

...Though there is Klonoa.

Anything else? It's just a waste of time (for us, for them it'll make a ****load of cash) that could be better spent on...oh, I don't know, maybe giving us another Metroid game for DS already, preferably a 2D one? Or making a game that's not a gimmick-fest/stick-waggler?
The amount of resources it'd take to make a full-fledged entry into a large franchise like that is definitely more than what it would take to port a bunch of games. So that's part of the reason why they aren't doing it. The other part is because:

(...it'll make a ****load of cash)
We're still getting a ton of awesome, new games. The Wii's huge audience is getting a second chance at some of the greatest games of this millenium so far, and Nintendo's making fat stacks of cash (with which they will make more awesome games).

What's not to like?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
On another note, there's an interview with Cammie up on Game Life, where she clarifies that we will be able to redeem "certain games" (i.e. 1st Party Wii and DS games) that we've already registered on our MyNintendo accounts for Club Nintendo points.

So if anybody was worrying about that besides me...there ya' go.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Firus...

I don't think you understand. There are TONS of people out there who weren't around for the Gamecube era. Now that everybody and their dog owns a Wii, it gives these people a chance to buy the games. Believe it or not, adding in motion sensing is a good idea. Wind Waker with 1:1 sword fighting? Metroid Prime 1 and 2 with motion controls like MP3? That's both awesome. I know they're games that are already out, but Nintendo is giving people who never had the chance to buy them (Myself included for Metroid Prime 1) to buy them, and with Motion Controls added in which isn't always a bad thing.
Only, I doubt Wii Motion+ will be incorporated in the remakes, for one thing. For another thing, again, YOU HAVE ACCESS TO THE GAMES RIGHT NOW. If you want Metroid Prime, you owe it to yourself to get the original, not the Wiimake.

Let's not kid ourselves. NINTENDO IS NOT DOING THIS TO BE NICE, GOOD PEOPLE AND LET ALL OF THE PEOPLE UNABLE TO GET THE GAMES LAST GENERATION GET THEM NOW. THEY JUST WANT TO MAKE MONEY.

Currently, you can move and store the following to an SD card:

>Wii game save data
>Wii channels
>VC games
>VC game save data
>Wii Ware games
>Wii Ware game save data

...as well as music files and picture files for the Photo Channel. The only thing we can't do, really, is read that data from the SD card.

So in that light, I'm positive that this update will let us do so. :)
But it can't store all game save data. What about games like Brawl, Elebits, and Pokemon Battle Revolution?

Um...yeah, really!

I don't own the game, and that is because I don't know much about it, I'm not convinced it's good enough to be worth my money. That's Nintendo's marketing fail there, not because it's not a Mario, Zelda, or Metroid title.

The original had 8 different games, and the DS remake has 15 of them. So between this, Fire Emblem DS, and the Final Fantasy DS games, it's safe to say that remakes of this generation are some of the best we've ever seen.

I know what you're talking about though. Looking from the perspective of a person who only played Nintendo systems, RE4 Wii had all the awesome stuff they added tot he PS2 port, but I can't think of any other Wii remakes that are really worth buying over the original *coughoamicough*
And it's fair to say that the original games of previous generations are the best ever.

So wait...Fire Emblem DS is already factoring into the best remakes we've ever seen? Way to assume a game is a great remake before you've even played it, hell, before it's even out.

My main point with remakes here is this; remakes should not be made unless the original is extremely outdated in graphics, controls, etc., or if the original is difficult to access (a title for an obscure system, or like the Fire Emblem games, in a completely different language). Most of the remakes in this generation do not fall into that category. Wii remakes are ALL accessible (not being in stores doesn't count as inaccessible) and they are not outdated in any aspect. The controls of old are not outdated just because we have motion sensor. As such, they are pointless.

Kirby Super Star Ultra is pretty inaccessible, although I take umbrage to the fact that Nintendo hasn't even tried to put it on VC. PROBABLY because it would cut down on sales for the remake. In other words, that's Nintendo's fault, it could (and should) be accessible.

The amount of resources it'd take to make a full-fledged entry into a large franchise like that is definitely more than what it would take to port a bunch of games. So that's part of the reason why they aren't doing it. The other part is because:
Yeah, so why don't they get a head start on making a full one instead of wasting two months' time on crappy remakes?

We're still getting a ton of awesome, new games. The Wii's huge audience is getting a second chance at some of the greatest games of this millenium so far, and Nintendo's making fat stacks of cash (with which they will make more awesome games).

What's not to like?
A) Nintendo's milking old games.
B) We're not getting that many awesome, new games. At least not in my opinion.

Firus, you're nitpicking. You'd be hard pressed to disagree with Mendez.
No, I'm not. If I'm so hard-pressed to disagree with Mendez then how am I doing it so much?
Lemme guess, you don't deem my reasons for disagreeing good enough so I'm not allowed to disagree?

On another note, there's an interview with Cammie up on Game Life, where she clarifies that we will be able to redeem "certain games" (i.e. 1st Party Wii and DS games) that we've already registered on our MyNintendo accounts for Club Nintendo points.

So if anybody was worrying about that besides me...there ya' go.
What exactly is this Club Nintendo thing? Can someone link me?

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
It's good that we're not getting another Metroid? Really?
No, it's good that none of the big three are gonna hog all the spotlight this time. So that new IP titles can actually get a chance

Since always, It's usually Mario and Zelda (Metroid to a degree) that gets the attention and hype. While all other Nintendo franchises not get as much, if any. Some people were complaining that Nintendo didn't learn their lesson BECAUSE a Zelda game wasn't announced.

it allows close-minded morons who can't play a game because of the art style to enjoy the game. Seriously, if you can't stand the fact that Wind Waker had cel-shaded graphics, you don't deserve to play the game.
LOL, this is one shallow reason that Nintendo started catering to casuals. At least that's what I deduced

Not everyone played these games and most of them would be hard to find a GCN version of.

Yaya

Smash Champion
With people hoping for another Star Fox.

I'm pretty sure Sin & Punishment had the same game engine as Star Fox 64, so we can definately imagine having a Star Fox game that isn't Star Fox in the future.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Only, I doubt Wii Motion+ will be incorporated in the remakes, for one thing. For another thing, again, YOU HAVE ACCESS TO THE GAMES RIGHT NOW. If you want Metroid Prime, you owe it to yourself to get the original, not the Wiimake.
He doesn't really "owe it to himself". The controls of Prime 3 are much better than the first two, so why not wait?

I agree with you on the Motion+ thing though. However that's not to say Windwaker with Twilight Princess controls wouldn't be better than the original, because it would.

Let's not kid ourselves. NINTENDO IS NOT DOING THIS TO BE NICE, GOOD PEOPLE AND LET ALL OF THE PEOPLE UNABLE TO GET THE GAMES LAST GENERATION GET THEM NOW. THEY JUST WANT TO MAKE MONEY.
...So you're faulting a company for choosing to take the path that requires fewer resources, with greater net rewards...instead of the one in which they spend millions of dollars developing one or two new games, which, honestly, not as many people would buy?

But it can't store all game save data. What about games like Brawl, Elebits, and Pokemon Battle Revolution?
...What about them? Sorry, I got lost somewhere along this line of discussion.

I don't own the game, and that is because I don't know much about it, I'm not convinced it's good enough to be worth my money. That's Nintendo's marketing fail there, not because it's not a Mario, Zelda, or Metroid title.
Uh-uh. No. Not happening.

If you can pull the logic of "just buy the games online", then you have no excuse to say "Nintendo didn't tell me about it". Go look up some reviews for Chibi Robo. Know what you'll find? It's an awesome game. In fact, it's a lot like a 3D, third-person Metroid game, only with less combat.

I'm willing to bet that if it was called "Chibi Metroid", you would've bought it immediately, or at least had the initiative to find out if it was "good enough to be worth your money".

So yes, Chibi Robo failed because it wasn't a big-name franchise.

So wait...Fire Emblem DS is already factoring into the best remakes we've ever seen? Way to assume a game is a great remake before you've even played it, hell, before it's even out.
It has the same online features (and more) as Days of Ruin. Even if nothing else about it was changed (even if it was still in Japanese), that alone would qualify it as an awesome remake.

Yeah, so why don't they get a head start on making a full one instead of wasting two months' time on crappy remakes?
Cuz' that'd be more expensive, and not as rewarding.

B) We're not getting that many awesome, new games. At least not in my opinion.
I think it's also been confirmed by now that you're not the most knowledgeable guy when it comes to recent games, as seen here...

What exactly is this Club Nintendo thing? Can someone link me?
:bee:

And I'm willing to bet you don't recognize names like "Muramasa: The Demon Blade", "Fragile", and "Innocent Aces".

...Anyway, Club Nintendo is a customer-rewards program that's been around in Japan for at least the past decade. When you buy Nintendo games, you know that PIN number that comes inside it, on that little white pamphlet you always just toss? By registering said game with said PIN number on the Club Nintendo website, you get points, which you can exchange for prizes.

Europe has had this for a while too, but for the most part the only prizes they were offered were wallpapers and cursor icons for their PCs. But in Japan, stuff like...

>A Classic Controller that is an exact replica of a SNES controller
>A remake of Balloon Fight starring Tingle for DS
>2 different Game & Watch Collections for DS
>Totally new, Club Nintendo-exclusive games like Exclamation Warriors
>actual Nintendo systems
>A 256MB SD card filled with exclusive remixes of various Nintendo music

...have been past prizes members could redeem.

AND WE'RE GETTING IT IN AMERICA!!!

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
So is the Club Nintendo thing out now? I want a Balloon Fighter remake with Tingle in it ._.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
So is the Club Nintendo thing out now? I want a Balloon Fighter remake with Tingle in it ._.
It's supposed to be here by the Holidays.

And to temper any excitement that list of mine may have caused, Cammie, in that same interview, when asked about what kind of prizes (material or web-based stuff, i.e. Japan or Europe) we should expect...she said that they'd be focusing on material stuff moreso for the first year or so.

...Which implies that when it first hits, we might be seeing some cool stuff...but eventually we'll probably be stuck with the same kind of stuff Europe gets.

Keep in mind that one of the highlights of the Japanese club is that you can redeem your points for virtually any DS or Wii game on the market, so for those of us who have a lot of registered games stocked up, this could mean that the first year of Club Nintendo will result in some free games. Which is awesome.

Also of note is that Europe's version actually allows you to exchange your Club Nintendo points for Wii Points. And with the increased importance of said currency, even after that first year of potential free games, we still might be rewarded with free downloadable games for our Nintendo loyalty.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
So, hold on, is this whole storage update thing just an update, that's compatible with any SD card? Or do I have to get a new, wii-specific SD card? (Sorry, I'm not too big on this SD card thing)

ozg82889

Smash Journeyman
about the remakes. didn't the re4 one cost like $30. maybe nintendo will follow capcoms example a charge $30 for the remakes as at that price they will still be making profits as adding motion controls, improving graphics, and prodicing wont cost them too much.

they better not remake WW. as the will have to flip flop the world to make link right handed. but whatever i still have My GC eddition.

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
No, I'm not. If I'm so hard-pressed to disagree with Mendez then how am I doing it so much?
Lemme guess, you don't deem my reasons for disagreeing good enough so I'm not allowed to disagree?
You're do it so much because you're being stubborn. And to answer the second question, no, it's the fact that you're not really making much sense. You say that you want newer games with more features rather than remakes, than complain about how Kirby Super Star isn't on the VC. Ultra> the original in every way. Isn't that what you want? A new game?

Also, you two should both give up the argument as a whole. You both have established opinions that can't be proved or disproved, and that won't change. Firus, let me offer a suggestion. Don't buy the remakes.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
So, hold on, is this whole storage update thing just an update, that's compatible with any SD card? Or do I have to get a new, wii-specific SD card? (Sorry, I'm not too big on this SD card thing)
It just opens up the SD card system for storing data. Previously, data stored on the SD card could be transferred back and forth from the system for extra storage, but games stored there were unplayable unless transferred back to the console. Nintendo is merely removing that restriction.

In short, any 'ol SD card will work. ;)

tirkaro

Smash Champion
It just opens up the SD card system for storing data. Previously, data stored on the SD card could be transferred back and forth from the system for extra storage, but games stored there were unplayable unless transferred back to the console. Nintendo is merely removing that restriction.

In short, any 'ol SD card will work. ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiapRKY9rpY

now, I just wonder why they didn't do that in the first place.....

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
...Anyway, Club Nintendo is a customer-rewards program that's been around in Japan for at least the past decade. When you buy Nintendo games, you know that PIN number that comes inside it, on that little white pamphlet you always just toss? By registering said game with said PIN number on the Club Nintendo website, you get points, which you can exchange for prizes.

Europe has had this for a while too, but for the most part the only prizes they were offered were wallpapers and cursor icons for their PCs. But in Japan, stuff like...

>actual Nintendo systems

Yeah, I'm kinda pissed at this. Not that you're getting it, no, but since mid APRIL, Nintendo of Aus has had Club Nintendo "Coming really soon! Enter your code online and register an account because we're starting really soon, by jimmy!" and ever since then there's been no **** change.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
No, it's good that none of the big three are gonna hog all the spotlight this time. So that new IP titles can actually get a chance
First of all, I don't think Metroid ever hogs the spotlight. And second of all, when did Galaxy and Twilight Princess hog the spotlight?

I don't understand this attitude of "Franchises are evil!"

Since always, It's usually Mario and Zelda (Metroid to a degree) that gets the attention and hype. While all other Nintendo franchises not get as much, if any. Some people were complaining that Nintendo didn't learn their lesson BECAUSE a Zelda game wasn't announced.
They get attention and hype because the franchises have already proven something -- you're more likely to like a game in a franchise you've played in the past and loved, become familiar with the characters, than a stand-alone game. As such, you're more likely to want it. By this logic, it's bad that we have franchises at all because by definition, if it's a good franchise, it's GOING to get hype. If it's a new game, it may or may not get hype depending on pre-existing notions. Only once you play it will you be able to truly judge.

He doesn't really "owe it to himself". The controls of Prime 3 are much better than the first two, so why not wait?
Okay, I know a lot of people say that, but I didn't find them to be that much better. I mean, okay, the motion sensor is nice so you don't have to press 'R' to move freely. But ultimately it's only a minor inconvenience in the beginning, if you ask me, because you get used to it rather quickly. And then the control of missiles was actually rather poor -- it's awkward to reach up and press the bottom of the control pad.

Plus, it's the original. Maybe I'm just a geek this way, but I always prefer to have the absolute original.

I agree with you on the Motion+ thing though. However that's not to say Windwaker with Twilight Princess controls wouldn't be better than the original, because it would.
I never said it wouldn't be, but Skyler said Wind Waker with 1:1 motion control, so I merely said it probably wouldn't have that.
Either way, unless controls are really poor, I don't think it's that much of a big deal to have improved controls.

...So you're faulting a company for choosing to take the path that requires fewer resources, with greater net rewards...instead of the one in which they spend millions of dollars developing one or two new games, which, honestly, not as many people would buy?
Yes. I know they're a business, it's more viable, they make more money, etc. But for once could they stop trying to make an ***load of money?
So yes, it may be the most viable path for them, and I recognize that. That doesn't mean I can't think it's stupid to remake games just to make some money.

...What about them? Sorry, I got lost somewhere along this line of discussion.
You said that save files could be put on the SD card already. Those game saves cannot.

Uh-uh. No. Not happening.

If you can pull the logic of "just buy the games online", then you have no excuse to say "Nintendo didn't tell me about it". Go look up some reviews for Chibi Robo. Know what you'll find? It's an awesome game. In fact, it's a lot like a 3D, third-person Metroid game, only with less combat.

I'm willing to bet that if it was called "Chibi Metroid", you would've bought it immediately, or at least had the initiative to find out if it was "good enough to be worth your money".

So yes, Chibi Robo failed because it wasn't a big-name franchise.
Except that wasn't entirely what I said...I'm not that stupid.

I didn't mean "Nintendo didn't tell me about it", I meant "I haven't heard anything about it, and have no reason to want to look it up". I said it was Nintendo's marketing fail because if they don't give me a reason to want to look it up then I'm not going to.

Say it did fail because it's not a big-name franchises. So exactly what do we do about that? Declare a war on franchises because they're evil and end them all so small titles have a chance? Indoctrinate everyone and force them to be open-minded?

It has the same online features (and more) as Days of Ruin. Even if nothing else about it was changed (even if it was still in Japanese), that alone would qualify it as an awesome remake.
Don't judge a book by its cover. You can't say that it's a great remake until you've played it, you can't say ANYTHING is great until you play it. How many people do you suppose thought Brawl would be awesome before it came out? Now, how many people STILL think it's awesome? A good percentage of people don't.

I think it's also been confirmed by now that you're not the most knowledgeable guy when it comes to recent games, as seen here...

:bee:

And I'm willing to bet you don't recognize names like "Muramasa: The Demon Blade", "Fragile", and "Innocent Aces".
First of all, I'd heard of Club Nintendo but I didn't know exactly (i.e. I knew the basis but not precisely) what it was. So I finally asked. Next time I'll refrain from asking questions since I'll be labeled as "not knowledgeable about recent games".

Second of all, Club Nintendo =/= a game. That's like saying I'm not knowledgeable about movie directors so I'm not knowledgeable about new movies. Flawed logic is flawed.

Thirdly, I do in fact recognize them. Way to make assumptions.

>actual Nintendo systems

Classic Controller that's a replica of a SNES controller?! Yes please.
Thanks for the info.

You're do it so much because you're being stubborn. And to answer the second question, no, it's the fact that you're not really making much sense. You say that you want newer games with more features rather than remakes, than complain about how Kirby Super Star isn't on the VC. Ultra> the original in every way. Isn't that what you want? A new game?

Also, you two should both give up the argument as a whole. You both have established opinions that can't be proved or disproved, and that won't change. Firus, let me offer a suggestion. Don't buy the remakes.
"You're do it so much"? That makes no sense...

Bad grammar aside, I am not simply being stubborn. I disagree when I disagree and I agree when I agree. I'm not some grouchy troll who goes around flaming people for the fun of it, but thanks for accusing me of that.

As to your second point, I am making perfect sense, you're just taking everything completely out of context and distorting it. I'm saying that these Wiimakes are stupid and pointless. I would prefer new games to crappy remakes with motion sensor, yes. And I think it's remarkably stupid that Nintendo hasn't put Kirby Super Star (along with other games) up there yet, yes. I don't see why that's a problem. I prefer old games anyways, I'm just saying if they're going to release another game either make it substantial or don't make it at all. In other words, don't make games that are nearly identical to the original. You clearly know NOTHING about me if you honestly think I prefer new games over old ones. Like, seriously.

Ultra being better than the original is pure opinion. And I swear to GOD, if you say it has more content and that automatically makes it better I kill you.
I mean, if Ultra is so superior then why did it get a slightly lower rating on GameSpot (granted, VERY slightly, but you act like it's largely superior) than the original?

And JUST when I thought I could get away from the "STOP EXPRESSING YOUR OPINIONS GUISE!" crap, you throw it on me. No, neither of us are going to change our opinions, but in most arguments/debates people don't end up changing their opinions.
Also, I wasn't planning on buying the remakes, that was sort of a given.

They're trying to do both.
No, they're not. They don't care.

Like bowser king said, Nintendo does not love us like everyone's convinced. They don't care about our well-being, and they're a corporation, so they shouldn't necessarily. I'm just saying, don't kid yourself into believing that they do.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
Ultra being better than the original is pure opinion. And I swear to GOD, if you say it has more content and that automatically makes it better I kill you.
I mean, if Ultra is so superior then why did it get a slightly lower rating on GameSpot (granted, VERY slightly, but you act like it's largely superior) than the original?
But ultra IS better than the original. I may be wrong, but from what I played, the games play exactly the same as the originals, albeit, with improved graphics. (There most likely are some very small changes here and there, but I couldn't notice them.) AND with the added bonus of brand new games.

The reason why Ultra scored slightly lower than the original is obvious. Even if Ultra has more content, it's still a remake of an older game. Obviously, certain things that were impressive back then aren't so now.

Either that, or different reviewers.

Top Bottom