• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

should the wavedashing code be allowed in tournaments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Exor

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LordExor
3DS FC
0430-8460-0827
Suuuuure. As long as MK is allowed.

Brawl will be even more fun then.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
I don't understand why people care so much about wavedashing? It was a nice spacing tool, but with the slower speed of Brawl you should be able to set yourself up. And it was great for edgehogging, but now that you can grab the ledges backwards it isn't as important.

It doesn't make the game significantly more fun...

Now, I'd like to see HITSTUN. Hitstun makes the game more fun xD Combos are great.

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
Why can't people recognize the aphorism

Don't fix what isn't Melee broken.

Addendum: fix MK.

GofG

Smash Champion
Praxis, the point isn't wavedashing, the point is that airdodging is no longer broken.

noodles

Smash Champion
hit stun would be nice but chances are , with added hitstun, falcos chaingrab can go on for awhile longer....

Napilopez

Smash Lord
No. It shouldn't. Perhaps at small side events at major tourney's but otherwise no.

At least Meta's wavedash is nothing specatucalar, and yay for Sonic wavedash XD.

Brawlee is coming.

EDIT:

I don't think MK is broken at all or ban material, but... MK + Hitstun?!? That's a totally different story.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Lol, it won't happen kids. All the Brawl WDers hoping this will be the tourny standard needs to calm themselves doooown.

Garquille14

Smash Apprentice
It would need to be officialized and utilized at every tournament if it were to happen. Having some with and some without wouldn't be good.

Another thing that could come into factor is that if it were to be used in tournament settings, who's to say there aren't other particularly discreet mods used to cheat or to have an advantage with one thing or another? It doesn't appear to me that it can be safely adapted with everyone completely convinced it was the only mod in effect. And with money on the line, it's just not going to work.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
No, it's not gonna happen. Unlike the no tripping code, with could be used even if players don't practice with the Ocarina code on, Wavedashing would make that stuff neccesary.

There's no discussion. It'll be fun to mess around with it with friends, but nothing more.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Just to put it in perspective:

People, like me, proposed early on in Brawl that we use Heavy Brawl as the standard, a mode that is built into the game. The community consensus was a resounding no.

So what makes people think exactly that using a hacked version of a game would do any better?

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Praxis, the point isn't wavedashing, the point is that airdodging is no longer broken.
Isn't there already a code to limit you to one normal Brawl airdodge? I thought at least...might be wrong.

The point of this new code is specifically to enable wavedashing by having the airdodge change your momentum.

Regardless, hacking Brawl to change the physics of an inherent part of the game will NOT happen in tournaments. We'd have to revamp tier lists with regards to the change, and it would actually significantly effect some characters.

BTW, on a related note- Washington just had the first No Tripping tournament, and it was flawless. I completely forgot tripping was off, in fact, until we rebooted one of the Wii's after the tournament and I tripped in a friendly.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
i'm against it. not everyone can do it so theres no point. forget wavedashing. its great for fun, but nothin else.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Because air dodging is soooo broken in brawl? Oh no, you can do like 3 air dodges that are completely vulnerable if you start from the top of the screen. Seems people haven't noticed how easy air dodges are to punish and that there is landing lag.

No, it shouldn't be allowed. Brawl is brawl and these hacks are for funsies (really cool funsies mind you.) It's not like the lack of wavedashing was really an issue for most people anyways. The goal is to explore brawl's depth and strategies and people gave up on it way too soon and decided to start banning metaknight (o.O), clamoring to find "AT"s, and basically questioning if we should put our "improvements" into the game. People may keep making complaints about Brawl but all I see is a sh*tload of potential in a lot of characters.

So no...it shouldn't :p

Dav657

Smash Apprentice
Because air dodging is soooo broken in brawl? Oh no, you can do like 3 air dodges that are completely vulnerable if you start from the top of the screen. Seems people haven't noticed how easy air dodges are to punish and that there is landing lag.

No, it shouldn't be allowed. Brawl is brawl and these hacks are for funsies (really cool funsies mind you.) It's not like the lack of wavedashing was really an issue for most people anyways. The goal is to explore brawl's depth and strategies and people gave up on it way too soon and decided to start banning metaknight (o.O), clamoring to find "AT"s, and basically questioning if we should put our "improvements" into the game. People may keep making complaints about Brawl but all I see is a sh*tload of potential in a lot of characters.

So no...it shouldn't :p
No because it allows people to get out of combos.

arch knight

Smash Lord
all i have to say is this are you that poor of a brawler to resort to cheating and the sort. banning characters and stages because you can't beat them due to spamming and space to fight. that in my book should be frowned upon. burn your brawl disc now your not worthy to play.

Shred_kid

Smash Cadet
As much as I wanted a melee 2.0, I'm gonna have to say that there is no way that this can become the standard. Everyone wishing to become competitive would have to implement the code, and this could never happen.

Revven

FrankerZ
all i have to say is this are you that poor of a brawler to resort to cheating and the sort. banning characters and stages because you can't beat them due to spamming and space to fight. that in my book should be frowned upon. burn your brawl disc now your not worthy to play.
I lol'd.

This isn't cheating, this is making Brawl more fun than before.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
I lol'd.

This isn't cheating, this is making Brawl more fun than before.
Although arch knights post was kind of um... noobish, your statement about brawl being more ufn before is just an opinion. I find brawl more fun then melee.

ZOMGNOWAVEDASHNOSTUNOFHITBRAWLSTINKS

=P

Yea I said it. Melee is clearly the more competitive game, but that does not mean its the more fun game, or even the better game. Not attacking you, but just pointing that out.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
So...

When will people realize that if they want wavedashing they should just play Melee?

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I like the airdodge fix, but this wavedash seems a trillion times less useful than it was in Melee. Either play Melee or let wavedashing die.

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
this post speaks the truth.

but really if we all want wavedashing why not just go back to melee? No this wont be brawl tournament standard.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Short Answer: No.

Long Answer: Do you remember no tripping? There was a massive backlash against that, and it wasn't even all that game-changing a hack. The thing is, if there are WD tournaments, then due to the large anti-hack element in the community, there would also be WD-free tourneys. The result would be two fractured and weak communities, instead of a flourishing and growing community. Brawl tournaments don't need hack, because the game is still alright for competition without the hacks. So I can really only see the hacks being used for entertainment purposes in friendlies.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
It's a cheat, and is not originally in the game. It doesn't belong in the game. Otherwise, I don't see why we shouldn't use Giga Bowser as a playable character in tournaments.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Hell no.

I mean, a side tournament with WDing would be a-okay, but full fledged tournaments?

lol.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Short Answer: No.

Long Answer: Do you remember tripping? There was a massive backlash against that, and it wasn't even all that game-changing a hack. The thing is, if there are WD tournaments, then due to the large anti-hack element in the community, there would also be WD-free tourneys. The result would be two fractured and weak communities, instead of a flourishing and growing community. Brawl tournaments don't need hack, because the game is still alright for competition without the hacks. So I can really only see the hacks being used for entertainment purposes in friendlies.
QFT

10 quotes

bob-e

Smash Journeyman
I can't help but feel that we are wrongly playing God. As big a hacking accomplishment as it is, wavedashing or increased hitstun will fundamentally change balance. It's obvious that not all characters will benefit equally from this hack. Accurately testing if it improves balance and makes more characters tournament viable would require the entire community to use this hack for months, which has absolutely no chance of happening. With more hitstun, MK would probably be able to combo everyone on the roster across Final Destination simply by chaining fairs together. Tweaking specific balance elements of the game also opens the floodgates for just about every other kind hack. Maybe Samus' missiles are too weak, maybe the sweet stop on Captain Falcon's knee needs to be moved. As soon as a single character gets the slightest buff or nerf from a hack, there are suddenly going to be thousands of people who all want their favorite character buffed.

What hacks, if any, make it into competition should be the simple ones. Ones that we can easily agree increase the competitive nature without throwing things (even more) off balance. Like no tripping, and maybe a code to disable Metaknight on the character screen.

ICANTCOUNT123456

Smash Journeyman
All the Smash community is now is a split, dysfunctional community that can never agree on one thing...

Just leave the **** game alone and go back to Melee if you want all this... things were better that way...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom