• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

should the wavedashing code be allowed in tournaments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saturnight

Smash Cadet
I can't help but feel that we are wrongly playing God.
well sakurai isnt the best god anyways

no triping code, and no mk code ;)

P.D: if you disagree, you dont have to say go back to melee, if something get modified by the comunity like wavedashing brawl and you dont like it, just quit smash... but dont say to other what to do

Clear171

Smash Cadet
ok noob question, feel free to ignore
i'm only asking out of curiosity

would characters with long range aerials, like marth and metaknight, be able to keep their opponents mid air till death if multiple air dodges were removed, assuming both player had reasonable skill?

Xanthus

Smash Apprentice
I'm loving all these hacks/ customizations people are coming up with.

However, if you're wanting these hacks to make it more "melee-like", just play melee? You'll have more fun, honestly.

Maybe work on a hack to make melee online? =P

I like brawl and everything, but these hacks are interesting and it makes brawl more enjoyable. I'll try this one out sometime.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
it would make the game better....

Spacing would be easier
Approaching would be more effective (wavedash into Snake utilt = too good)
Gimping would easier and would play a bigger role.

However, with all that said I'm against it. Changing the games major physical like this would only help keep newer members of the community separate from the more experiences ones and not in the good way either. It wouldn't because they are less skilled it would because they would be playing a completely different game.

As pretty as this is it cannot and should not be allowed at any respectable Brawl tournament.

J4pu

Smash Champion
It kills quite a few characters who were already low tier, yoshi, mother boys, and makes ROB unable to air dodge period because it will freeze the game, it's stupid to think it will ever be used in any serious tournament.

cutter

Smash Champion
Now, I'd like to see HITSTUN. Hitstun makes the game more fun xD Combos are great.
Unfortunately, hitstun would completely ruin the game. Brawl just wasn't designed to have Melee's hitstun. Snake's Ftilt would become an infinite on every character, and MK would escalate to unreal levels of brokenness.

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
Snake's Ftilt
NO. The first hit causes FLINCHING, not hitstun, which means it wouldn't be affected by a hitstun code! Plus with enough hitstun maybe every character would finally be able to combo MK to death too, and really capitalize on his mistakes, instead of having to constantly wait for an opening just to inflict little damage.
Also, MK's slow airspeed would probably limit his combo ability.

Geist

Smash Master
wding wouldn't make brawl more competitive. All it is is allowing for greater maeuverability for spacing and creating openings. Brawl already has more maeuverablilty than melee, it doesn't need more.
What brawl needs is hitstun.

I really want to see ROB and DDD wding though.

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
ROFL @ this even needing a topic. Try this hack: eject your Brawl disc and put in Melee.
lol yea. If you really want wavedashing just play Melee. If you want more hitstun just play Melee. If you want Brawl to be Melee just play Melee. It's not that difficult.

kr3wman

Smash Master
I think every reply to this thread should be :

Just play Melee, it´s not that hard to eject the Brawl disc and to open up the little thingie for the GC Memory cards **** it.

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
To people who say "Just play Melee."

The thing is, it's not that simple. Does Melee have the awesome new characters and stages that Brawl has? No. That's WHY we all bought Brawl. We wanted new stuff. With wavedashing/L-cancelling/hitstun/etc taken out of Brawl, it's kind of like trading those for the new stuff. With these codes, those who WANT it can have their cake and eat it too.

If you don't want to use wavedashing, don't. I personally love wavedashing around with Sonic, Lucas, and all the other characters. It makes the game more interesting and fun for me. If that somehow bothers you or infringes on your fun, then you might as well give it a try. If you're fully satisfied with the way Brawl is currently, then keep playing it. Leave the ones who want new things alone.

tl;dr - I like Brawl physics. I like new characters. I like wavedashing. I love cake.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
It kills quite a few characters who were already low tier, yoshi, mother boys, and makes ROB unable to air dodge period because it will freeze the game, it's stupid to think it will ever be used in any serious tournament.
Yeah, a mod that freezes the game is messed up.

This confirms my prediction, meaning Kirby will behave strangely, as well as Ike, Sonic, and possibly Peach and Game and Watch. Snake should freeze the game too, as well as Zero Suit Samus and Yoshi, if I know their moveset.

And possibly Ice Climbers.

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, a mod that freezes the game is messed up.

This confirms my prediction, meaning Kirby will behave strangely, as well as Ike, Sonic, and possibly Peach and Game and Watch. Snake should freeze the game too, as well as Zero Suit Samus and Yoshi, if I know their moveset.

And possibly Ice Climbers.
ROB was the only character that froze the game. Apparently all the glitches are fixed with a new code.

Time for my next class. (:

metaXzero

Smash Champion

The thing is, it's not that simple. Does Melee have the awesome new characters and stages that Brawl has? No. That's WHY we all bought Brawl. We wanted new stuff. With wavedashing/L-cancelling/hitstun/etc taken out of Brawl, it's kind of like trading those for the new stuff. With these codes, those who WANT it can have their cake and eat it too.

If you don't want to use wavedashing, don't. I personally love wavedashing around with Sonic, Lucas, and all the other characters. It makes the game more interesting and fun for me. If that somehow bothers you or infringes on your fun, then you might as well give it a try. If you're fully satisfied with the way Brawl is currently, then keep playing it. Leave the ones who want new things alone.

tl;dr - I like Brawl physics. I like new characters. I like wavedashing. I love cake.
Quote For the Truth! Well said Makkun.

Cerozero

Smash Apprentice
I personally won't touch Brawl without these codes on much less enjoy it. There is no point in defending this game as is. Tournaments should use this code to try to infuse some skill into this game. The fact remains that Sakurai took a dump in your mouth and people are still calling it ice cream.

HolyCrusader

Smash Cadet
I personally won't touch Brawl without these codes on much less enjoy it. There is no point in defending this game as is. Tournaments should use this code to try to infuse some skill into this game. The fact remains that Sakurai took a dump in your mouth and people are still calling it ice cream.
Lets look from a different perspective.....
Imagine someone taking your old Mustang and completely pimping it out. Brand new rims, neon lights, stylish body kit and an awesome sound system. But while all of this is fantastic then the car doesn't drive as fast as it did before, your not used to the new color and you miss how it made that funny sound every time you switched gears...
Play Brawl, don't play Brawl
Play Melee, don't play Melee.
Just don't bad mouth either of them nor the great man who gave them both to you.:)

Maikeru17

What the hell is this thing
NNID
NoxNoctis
This.

All of the kids with the 2008 joindates saying "just play Melee" only make themselves look stupid.
Google Define:fun said:
Definitions of fun on the Web:

* activities that are enjoyable or amusing; "I do it for the fun of it"; "he is fun to have around"
Fun is relative to what each individual conceives as enjoyable. GET OVER IT.

The wavedashing code does indeed help Brawl, but only very little. If two skilled players were playing the game, I could see wavedashing increasing the speed of the game, which is a plus. Wavedashing is caused by the directional airdodge. Because this airdodge is directional, you now fall helplessly after airdodging ONCE in the air, until you are hit, land on solid ground, or grab the edge. This removes a lot of defensive options from our very inTENTS Brawl metagame. Not being able to airdodge directly after being hit leaves room for people to actually do combos. Should you airdodge, you'll most likely be punished by any COMPETENT player.
This changes the game; but it's simply not enough. You'll need hitstun, mainly. Then icing the cake with things like (proper) dash dancing and Lcanceling.
Also, hitstun would be applied to moves separately, would be my guess. Which means Snake's ftilt would most likely be left alone, or modified to have a little less flinch/stun. Meta Knight's moves would also be worked accordingly. A hitstun hack would need extensive testing, clearly.

So, yes, I think the wavedashing/Melee airdodge code should be used in tournament. Which means the no-trip code should also be on.

And I already know of a place that's going to be using this hack in tournament; BUM said he'd use it for his weeklies/tournies.
Pwnt.

-Nox`

PeeP

Smash Apprentice

*This*

Also its much harder to find melee tournaments, because almost every body plays Brawl.

Lol at almost every post saying just play melee.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
This is ******** wavedash hacks? Go play melee if you want that. Now an anti tripping thing would be something that I would be interested in.
ignorance is ignorance.

The no tripping code had its own topic.

Anyways L canceling is possible.
Dash dancing can be made possible (look at the super sonic code)
We have wavedashing and we know hitstun is possible sooo.

yeah it would be nice if we had a hack format.

Sesshomuronay

Smash Lord
ignorance is ignorance.

The no tripping code had its own topic
Yea but i dont wanna have to use a hack to play a game. Plus I would need the hack to properly practice too which would be annoying meaning I couldnt play competitive like for anything other than the tourney. Seriously if they changed all tournaments to this thing i would quit brawl and go play guilty gear.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Yea but i dont wanna have to use a hack to play a game. Plus I would need the hack to properly practice too which would be annoying meaning I couldnt play competitive like for anything other than the tourney. Seriously if they changed all tournaments to this thing i would quit brawl and go play guilty gear.
Why do you think all tournaments would become this? Haven't you seen the ****storms that come up whenever hacks are discussed?

MuBa

Smash Lord
Having a hack is not that annoying. All you need to do is install this stuff and know how to put in the appropriate codes (Heck, even a NON-HACKER/PROGRAMMER like me is able to do this) and you're good to go.

And the next time you play Super HACKED Brothers: Brawl, just start the Homebrew channel and use the Ocarina to boot the game. It's simple once you get use to it, and it's a LOT easier than learning how to ride a bicycle.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Use SDGecko Ocarina has been stopped.
because it combined with SDgecko.

All you need is an SD card, SD card reader, twilight princess.

Once you have the homebrew channel installed you don't need twilight princess anymore.

marthmaster04

Smash Ace
Wow I see a lotta butthurt casuals in here, in the 64 community since we do our game "online" we have to use codes daily to allow for all stages and chars to be unlocked. Its not something you really have to get used to or anything. Its just the norm for the game and how we play, wether its tournaments or friendlies. This could work if you guys don't let the casual butthurt tournament player haters plug up everyones thoughts.

epic of DE

Smash Journeyman
Newark, DE (only a mile from University of Delawar
WD in brawl would be a perk as far as I see it since even in melee a large number of characters didn't truly gain a great deal from it besides minor spacing options.

As far as the air dodge codes in question I'd figure being able to air dodge once and then having to touch ground would be enough for anyone so you can evade one attack at you but you cannot dodge all the way until you hit the ground.

L-canceling...hmm that would make me very happy since to me auto-canceling doesn't even count as a cancel (I finished my attack before I hit the ground so I don't have lag...ok?) L-canceling would aid practically the whole except MK since he has such little lag anyway.

but for me if this is possible is to have a code that actually lets the character's momentum stay with them when they jump. it would be very nice for falcon and sonic I think...

PS

I want to moonwalk with falcon not for any purpose besides that it looks sexy

Miller

Smash Lord
What everyone has to understand. Wave dashing and hitstun DO NOT FIT WITH BRAWL. Imagine MK with both wavedashing and hitstun. How broke is that. Image IC with WD and Hitstun, wavedashing completes their grab game and hitstun will allow for **** like dash attack into grab. Imagine Snake with WD and Hitstun. WD>Ftilt/Uptilt/Jab.

epic of DE

Smash Journeyman
Newark, DE (only a mile from University of Delawar
If the sidestepping actually works while wavedashing, then it will be completely broken.
um...I'm very doubtful of that since people WD because it allowed them to move without having to perform an action like that.

besides sidestepping while WD is practically rolling since you can't be hit but as a result you can't punish them until your side-step animation ends.

Haven't you played Melee?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom