• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

El paso TMS - brawl/melee tournament Nov. 14th-16th (MK is banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Take our Money Showdown.
Brawl and Melee tournament.

When:
November 14th-16th, 2008

Major Players-where the realest tournaments are held.

Address:
1580 George Dieter Dr
El Paso, TX 79936

Telephone: (915) 849-6800

Fees:
Venue Fee (per person):0$ hurray!
Doubles Tournament Entry Fee: 20$ or 10$ per person
Singles Tournament Entry Fee: $10$
  • Bringing a full set up Tv, Wii, and Brawl copy will get you into two tournaments for free.
  • The first 5 people to bring a wii and brawl copy with out a TV will enter one tournament for free.

Schedule:
-Friday 14th smash fest, MMs, and some crew battles.
-Saturday 15th 1v1: Registration starts at 10:00 A.M. and ends at 12:00 P.M.
-Sunday 16th 2v2 brawl and 1v1 melee: Registration starts at 10:00 A.M. and ends at 12:00 P.M. Melee will come first then 2v2 brawl once TVs start opening up.

• this is subject to change depending on the amount of people that sign up before hand.

Super Smash Brothers: Brawl (singles and doubles)

General rules:

• 3 Stock
  • 8 minute timer
  • Items are set to "off" and "none"
  • All sets with the possible exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above is recommended for any "finals" matches)
  • In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
  • No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
  • In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.
  • If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.
  • Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.
  • If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.
  • You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.
  • Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
  • Stalling is banned.

• Port slob picks: On a player's counterpick, that player may opt to redo the port selection process with that player or team picking their port first.
  • Resolving Ties: Any games ending in time running out should always be decided by stock, and then percents. If percents are the same or both players die simultaneously, there will be a 1 stock overt time or the sudden death will be played out. The TO needs to decide which of these will be used before the tournament. Bowser's suicide klaw is exempt from this rule.
  • Color Blind rule: Should a player have a color-based disability, he or she may request in a teams match to have a specific color for their team. This is so characters such as Lucario or Sonic can be granted the blue team so that there is not unnecessary confusion.
  • Wiimotes and Classic Controller users should know to take the batteries out of their controllers after finishing a set; not only will this save battery life, but it prevents accidental intereference and delay for tournament matches.
  • Pirated copies of Brawl or modded Wii consoles will not be used for tournament matches.
  • The Mages DQ rule: After a match has been called, if a player is two minutes late he will receive a warning. At 4 minutes late, he will be given a loss for the first game of the set. After six minutes, he will be given a loss of the entire set.
  • It is recommended to have a station set up specifically for Gamecube controllers; this prevents intereference from wiimotes in future matches, whether intentional or accidental. This is a great way to make sure the finals go smoothly. Alternatively, you could make a station for wiimotes only, but it is recommended to have a GC only station.
  • Wireless controllers are discouraged because of interference, unreliability (battery life), and time hindrance. If you bring a wii remote, nun chuck, or classic controller please reverse your batteries to avoid interference.
  • The semi-final and championship sets will be best of 5 format.
  • Drugs and Alcohol should be prohibited.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs most end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

Stage List:

Starter
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Pokémon Stadium 1

Counter
Castle Siege
Delfino
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Brinstar
Corneria
Distant Planet
Frigate Orpheon
Green Hill Zone
Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Pictochat
Pirate Ship
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise
Yoshi's Island (Pipes)

Banned
Green Greens
Mario Circuit
Onett
Port Town Aero Dive
Skyworld
75m
Big Blue
Bridge of Eldin
Flat Zone 2
Hanenbow
Hyrule Temple
Mario Bros.
Mushroomy Kingdom I
Mushroomy Kingdom II
New Pork City
Rumble Falls
Shadow Moses
Spear Pillar
The Summit
Wario Ware

Additional Rules for Double's Play

• Life Stealing is allowed
  • Set team attack to ON
  • Hanenbow may be moved from Ban to Counterpick for Doubles

Super Smash Brothers: Melee (singles and doubles)

General Rules
  • Items are set to off
  • The stock is set to 4
  • The time limit is set to 7
  • All sets are best of 3 matches
  • In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
  • No player may choose the stage they last won on
  • Ties will be broken by lives, then percentage. In the event of a percentage tie, one stock sudden death will be played
  • Wobbling is allowed except when used to excessively stall a match
  • The Ice Climber Freeze Glitch is banned
  • Jigglypuff's rising pound stall is banned
  • Peach's bomber stall beneath levels where she is unreachable is banned (example: FoD)

1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for the entirety of the set
3. The first stage will be played at random from the Random Stage List **
4. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Random Stage List or the Counter Stage List
5. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
6. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
7. Repeat steps 4-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for this match
**Opponents may instead agree upon a random stage

Random Stage List
Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise *
Past Stages: Dream Land
Past Stages: Kongo Jungle
Special Stages: Final Destination
Special Stages: Battlefield
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List
Dream Land: Green Greens *
DK Island: Jungle Japes
F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City
Kanto Skies: Poke Floats
Lylat System: Corneria
Mushroom Kingdom: Princess Peach's Castle *
Mushroom Kingdom II *
Planet Zebes: Brinstar
*These stages were very close votes and could be on either the Counter or Banned Lists

Banned Stage List
DK Island: Kongo Jungle
Eagleland: Onett
Eagleland: Fourside
F-Zero Grand Prix: Big Blue
Hyrule Temple
Infinite Glacier: Icicle Mountain
Lylat System: Venom
Mushroom Kingdom I
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Island
Past Stages: Yoshi's Island
Planet Zebes: Brinstar Depths
Superflat World: Flat Zone
Termina: Great Bay

Additional Rules for Double's Play

• Life Stealing is allowed
  • Set team attack to ON
  • Add Termina: Great Bay to the Counter Stage List
  • Add F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City to the Banned Stage List
  • Add Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams to the Banned Stage List

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Attendees:
Arturito_Burrito
Fallenangemon0
Error13
V3rmillion
Neocell
Hylian
Lee Harris
DastrnMarco
Darkshifter
Kashakunaki
Dallas people?
other NM people(don't know names)
AZ people(names again)
Skylerocon

Attendets:

Furiousdufmanx

Set ups:
The venue has 6 TVs off the bat but 1 is HD =\
Arturito Burrito: Full brawl/melee set up + 2 TVs
Furiousdufman: full brawl/melee set up? maybe no TV because hes gay like that.
DastrnMarco: Full brawl maybe melee set up.
Darkshifter: Wii /brawl copy don't know about melee and its an HD TV atm.
Fallenangemon0: Wii and brawl/melee copy no TV.

CM:
Arturito Burrito(Ike) vs Furriousduffman(Falcon)

MM:
Arturito Burrito(Ike) vs Hylian(Ike) 10$
Arturito Burrito (Ike) vs Hylian (kirby) 10$
Arturito Burrito (Ike) vs Lee harris(ganon) 20$?

Furiousduffman Falcon vs Hylian ike 10$
Furiousduffman Falcon vs Hylian ganon 10$
Furiousduffman vs Dallasphat 10$ no mk
Furiousduffman vs skyler ditto 5$
Furiousduffman Falcon vs Lee ganon 20$ and chugging a beer.
Furiousduffman falcon vs Xion Ike 10$?
Furiousduffman Falcon vs sliraobe 5$
Furiousduffman falco vs diddy hylian 10$
Furiousduffman vs Kashakunaki 5$ x4

Fallenangemon ivs Hylian 5$ RCMM

Hylian's "anything" vs Error13's IC.

Erroer13 Olimar vs kashkunaki 10$

Side notes:

-If anyone from OOS or central Texas wins they will receive an extra 100$ in there prize.
-Currently looking for sponsors so maybe there will be more than an extra 100$ because that isn't really much lol, maybe just pay for gas.

OOS:

-AZ has said they where coming. Don't back out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-NM is planning on it since they live 30 minutes away lol. You better come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-central texas counts as OOS.
-Dallas is thinking of coming 5 people so far don't actually know who. Working on sponsors even more now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Houston and Austin are as well I believe. asterisk yah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wan't some more MMs lee and hylian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Can't do it I'm at school till I leave for work so I don't have to walk home and back because its right across the street.

I'll make the side notes bigger though.

furiousduffmanx

Smash Lord
OK Cool lol at the MM section, good way to advertise it but my falcon aint losing anything to anyone!
lmao on the title too. Not that it be will true or anything cause mewlimar is gonna win it all

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
You guys have it wrong. The 17th through 19th is a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday.

Anyway, I'm most likely going. I'm doing 1v1 for sure and 2v2 if I can find a partner.

EDIT: You guys should have a station devoted to Falcon/Ganon money matches only.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
I see. I just hope that the Brawl section won't be the only one to have the good attendance. :[
---
In any case, Arturito, AZ may come to his regardless of all these shenanigans. :laugh:

V3RMILLION

Smash Apprentice
Last tournament we had 62~64 people if I remember correctly. We're going to advertise WAY more than we ever have before so hopefully the tournament will have a great turnout. And El Paso is pretty good in Melee too I might add.

furiousduffmanx

Smash Lord
We have had 2 tournaments with attendance of 60. They have been different people as well. This one should be amazing. OUT OF STATE PEOPLE remember we are trying to get sponsored for the tourney plus alll entry fees. Dont forget the Money matches and everything. EPIC

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Start setting up some MMs if your coming from out of state. I want some heavy hitter MMs vs my Ike like bowser DK ganon all those guys except snake.

Besides those 60+ ones they mentioned I hosted one last week where only me and some other guy on the NE side advertised and that one had 48 people so theres the potential to break 100 with just el paso.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Who here is going for Melee?

I don't want to go to this tourney with high expectations, and it ending up that there's not enough people to even have a Melee tournament. To boot, the Brawl tournament has a very low turnout too.

*cough*

I wonder if this tournament will have a large KASH prize.

Vitamin X

Smash Journeyman
You recently advertised in the Lubbock forums, which explains what I'm doing here.

I just read the front page, and it does indeed say 17th-19th.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Davis, if you have the money for gas to cover me, I will go. I will promise to pay you back.
$60 for gas round trip, huh? Covering you isn't the issue. How many people will come is. If we could get five people to go that'd be awesome.

Who here is going for Melee?

I don't want to go to this tourney with high expectations, and it ending up that there's not enough people to even have a Melee tournament. To boot, the Brawl tournament has a very low turnout too.

*cough*

I wonder if this tournament will have a large KASH prize.
Clever Neil squared.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
You recently advertised in the Lubbock forums, which explains what I'm doing here.

I just read the front page, and it does indeed say 17th-19th.
yah I messed up on the dates because I was looking at october its actually the 14th-16th.

Melee should have an ok turn out probably not as big as brawl but at least half of them should join. Plus its going to run simultaneously so I'm hoping people go might as well join it and have some fun.

V3RMILLION

Smash Apprentice
Yes plus I'm going to add $100 of my OWN money to the pot if an out of state player wins. Brawl that is. Most of the better Brawl players are Melee players too. So we'll probably have at least like 20 people for Melee. Hopefully more.

fallenangemon0

Smash Journeyman
Tell you what... if Kosuke and Neil squared come, I'll bring myself, Xion, and our three best Melee players.
Sounds good man! I look forward to playing you all ^_^ *coughrestcombocough*

But Im sure Melee will have a good amount of people. Ill tell some scrubs to come to increase the pot.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I would guess a little bit less than the Brawl tournament, to convince people who would normally come for Brawl only to enter the Melee because it's cheaper.

But who knows, they might both be 10 dollars. And would anybody be opposed to me bringing an N64 with Smash 64 just to screw around before the tournament starts?

furiousduffmanx

Smash Lord
This is going good. Since AZ is so interested in melee, should we have AZ vs EL Paso melee crew battles to make things interesting?

Also Out of state people feel free to ask questions and make suggestions as well.
We would also encourage some OOS people to offer yourselves to be like pool leaders and stuff

V3RMILLION

Smash Apprentice
Crew battles in anything will be good. And we're going to need recording equipment.

furiousduffmanx

Smash Lord
Well ill be the first to challenge people on Money matches because everyone seems to be scared to do it.
So make sure you accept so they can be posted in front of the page.
XIon: my falcon vs ike 10$
Kashakunaki: my falcon vs ike 10$
Feel free to add more money on those

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom