• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tomball Monthlies; second monthly coming early March?

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Sethlon, WEMP and Hiza present:

A Monthly Tournament We Haven't Thought A Name Up For Yet!

Address:
24419 Kuykendahl Road
Zip 77375

The venue is the upcoming Augusto Sports Bar...its got a decent sized spot put aside with video game tournaments in mind, and if we ever need any more room we can just spread a little bit into a bar area right next to it. Augosto's also has a little pizza parlor on the other side of the gaming section, so if anyone gets hungry you'll literally be just a few steps away from food :)

We've got our sights set on January 3rd for the first one.

The game will naturally be brawl. If people can bring enough set ups, we'll probly throw together a side event also (not sure yet if it'll be teams, low tier, or something strange like Brawl+ or Castlevania Judgment). If enough people want it, I will consider melee.

Fees will be the standard $5 for venue and $10 for entry fee, with 100% of the entry fee going towards the pot.
The owner of the venue is pretty serious about getting into the tournament running business, so I can guarantee you that he (and of course me and WEMP/Hiza) will do our very best to make these monthlies run smoothly; and most importantly, be fun.

Ruleset:

The stage striking system will be used for the first match. Each player/team strikes one of the starter stages until one is left.

Starters:
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island (brawl)
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium 1
Lylat Cruise
Castle Siege

Counterpick Stages:
Brinstar
Corneria
Deflino
Frigate Orpheon
Green Greens
Halberd
Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Pictochat
Pirate Ship
Pokemon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise
Yoshi's Island (pipes)

Everything else is banned.

General Rules
  • Prize Payout:
    1st: 65%
    2nd: 25%
    3rd: 10%

• Set format (In Order of Procedure):
    1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match
    2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
    3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
    4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
    5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
    6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
    7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
    8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
    Double blind character selection may be called for the first match.

• Matches will be best 2/3, with the exception of winner's, loser's, and Grand finals, which will be 3/5.

• Time set to 8 minutes.
    In the event of the timer running out, winner will be decided by stock and then %. If for some crazy reason stock and percent are both tied when time runs out, players will play out a 1 stock overtime match.

• Dave's Stupid Rule: a player cannot counterpick a stage that he has already won on.
  • Items set to 'off' and 'none'.

• Teams will be arranged in a 1221 slot format.

• Wiimote users: Remove your batteries after each of your sets. We don't want the syncing to mess with other tournament matches. Failure to do so will result in repercussions.*

• Disputes over who gets the first strike in a match or what team is to have what slots, etc, will be resolved with a game of rock-paper-scissors.
    (I'm going to go ahead and also say that the tournament standard for rock-paper-scissors has each participant deciding their R/P/S on the third iteration [IE, on 'rock, paper, scissors', rather than 'rock, paper, scissors, shoot'])

• If a game ends with Bowser or Ganondorf doing their suicide kill, that game will count as a win for Bowser/Ganondorf.

• Stalling is banned. (defined: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is.)

• Metaknight's Infinite dimensional cape is banned.
  • The players may make any change to the rules, as long as both players agree on it. Both of you prefer to use the random 5 over the strike out system? Go for it.

*repercussions may include (but are not limited to); a harsh glare, a stern talking to, and for repeat offenders, a thorough downtilting.

heytallman

CTALL
Side event should be Smash 64. I have an N64 I can bring.....yeah. Or Pokemon D/P. That works too.

Seems interesting, I will see what I can do.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Uh ohhh. More tourneys for Texas.
I actually had a talk with Xyro about that yesterday, and from what I gather hes going to cut down on the HOBOs so he can advertise longer and put more effort into making them bigger :)

Hmm, I dunno about running a 64 tourney. Mayhap if theres enough interest.
And I don't know the first thing about competitive pokemans =/

Dojo

Smash Champion
I wish Austin, Sa-town, and the rest would hold more large scale ones. Traveling 6+ hours to get to tournies blows. But meh, it's all good fun.

heytallman

CTALL
I actually had a talk with Xyro about that yesterday, and from what I gather hes going to cut down on the HOBOs so he can advertise longer and put more effort into making them bigger :)

Hmm, I dunno about running a 64 tourney. Mayhap if theres enough interest.
And I don't know the first thing about competitive pokemans =/
The Pokemon thing I was kinda kidding about, but I know all the ins and outs of competetive pokemans.

As for Smash 64, once it's brought up, I'm sure many people would be like "lol that sounds awesome!" I've actually been playing more Smash 64 than Brawl recently. It's awesome, and I want some Smash 64 to go down.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I'm intrested. Try to get a lot of local scrubs to go with flyers and such :).

Also, I could bring a 64 set-up via my Wii. Just saying XD.

Should we try to think of names?

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
I'm intrested. Try to get a lot of local scrubs to go with flyers and such :).
Way to be a **** about it <.<;
(I am doing it though, lol)

Name suggestions would be cool. Hiza suggested "Pizza, Beer and Low Tier" (cause wemp/hiza play link/falcon, I play roy in melee ;)).

❀W.E.M.P.❀

Mote Of Dust
Also want to add that there will be a full selection of sports bar like food, including wings, and whatever else goes with that. also for 21+ yo, there is a bar.

I have also contacted Aksys games ( makes of the guilty gear series ) in aquiring an arcade version of their newest game Blazblue. a new 2d fighter, which looks amazing. We will also see if we can get a permanent Rock band 2 set up there, along with a giant tv ( which we convinced the owner to be a CRT tv so we can use it on grand finals ) with the newest madden there. ( i personally dont care for madden, but the boss wants it so if anyones interested ).

so yeah, everyone prepare for January 3rd!

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
*is interested*

*suggests TOBO*

or...TOMB? Tomball's Official Monthly Brawl?

G@BE

Smash Lord
I really think you should help the Melee community out as well Alex

If need be i can try and help organize a melee tournament there too. It's something i would like to start doing and have been wanting to do for a very long time.

Im pretty sure there would be plenty of melee people wanting to do a tournament.

Tomball Monthlies?

I like it... cuz its very vague and it wont put full sight on just brawl

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
TOSO would work then. Or...TOMS. I dunno. :)

G@BE

Smash Lord
Tomball Monthlies should be just fine...

It would be shame if we started numbering these

-=looks at all the HOBOs=- >_>

❀W.E.M.P.❀

Mote Of Dust
Yeah alex and I were already discussing bringing melee into the equation also, so we haven't forgot!

I would imagine that numbering would happen regaurdless

"TOMBALLS Monthly" might work for both sides, haha
T-omballs O-fficial M-elee&B-rawl A-l-l- (all) S-tar monthly

Idunno I got nothin...

G@BE

Smash Lord
Yeah alex and I were already discussing bringing melee into the equation also, so we haven't forgot!

I would imagine that numbering would happen regaurdless

"TOMBALLS Monthly" might work for both sides, haha
T-omballs O-fficial M-elee&B-rawl A-l-l- (all) S-tar monthly

Idunno I got nothin...
Just dating them would be fine..

Plenty of other monthlies/bi weeklies do it

so to make a record of when which one took place and you could put the results like that in the front page...

It's easier... and we wont have something real homosexual after a year with "TOSO 12" or something gay like that... there monthlies and not actual big tournaments... save names and numbering for bigger tournaments.

Magik0722

Smash Champion
Side event should be Smash 64. I have an N64 I can bring.....yeah. Or Pokemon D/P. That works too.

Seems interesting, I will see what I can do.
Yeah D/P tournaments, tallman PM me sometime for a battle, i know some people that would want to enter that, but sadly us being the RGV dont travel much

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Place shouldn't be too far. Is there alot of street lights if coming from stuebner louetta to 2920?

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Place shouldn't be too far. Is there alot of street lights if coming from stuebner louetta to 2920?
I dunno for sure, but since its so close to tomball I imagine its pretty well lit.
What does that matter anyway? :psycho:

Rules are up.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
Just curious: how is Norfair legal and Delfino not? Not that it makes any real difference, I'm just curious because this seems really odd to me.

heytallman

CTALL
Just curious: how is Norfair legal and Delfino not? Not that it makes any real difference, I'm just curious because this seems really odd to me.
I'm sure Sethlon just simply forgot to put it. There's no way that stage wouldn't be counterpick. And YES! Pokemon Stadium 2 is still legal!!!!

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Delfino and CS shouldn't be neutrals, Dedede craps all over them lol. PS2 should be a neutral, even if most people never pick it/always strike it.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
It's like you people forget about the stage striking system. If you don't want to play on those two stages you never have to.

Edit: I wonder if Sethlon left RC off the stage list just so I would argue with him LOL.

I swore to never attend a tournament with RC banned :(.

❀W.E.M.P.❀

Mote Of Dust
It's like you people forget about the stage striking system. If you don't want to play on those two stages you never have to.

Edit: I wonder if Sethlon left RC off the stage list just so I would argue with him LOL.

I swore to never attend a tournament with RC banned :(.
that was our plan. Seth and i made a hack to take out RC and GW, mwaha. now I just need to worry about any other character you pick up , hmm...

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
*cough* Uh, yeah, thats it. It was just a joke. Its not like I could forget that stage too.

I mean, seriously now...

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Green Hill Zone makes me very sad. But not as much as Green Greens because that stage is an abomination to everything decent in this world. I HATE YOU GREEN GREENS! D:

Everything else is okay. :)

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
After thinking about it some more, I've moved Green Hill Zone to banned. On top of the walk off, strange terrain, and collapsing parts of the stage, PhantomX demonstrated at SA this last weekend that if you hit the post, you can just short hop inside of it and camp all day.

Green Greens stays for now =P

Top Bottom