• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DEVASTATION 2009 : June 19th-21st : $2,000.00 Pots

DrDogg

Smash Journeyman
Last Updated: June 9th, 2009

Online Registration Closes Friday, June 12th
  • Yup, the time is fast approaching and all you procrastinators out there need to get it going.
  • Anyone who does not register will not get any t-shirts/swag bags unless we have extras and you will have to sit in the sucky day-of line while all the registered people get to walk by you and go directly to the check-in. So how about you get registered and save everyone some headaches: http://www.devastationevent.com

Raffle Gallery updated with new items
  • While we are still waiting for more raffle items to show up, we have been updating the raffle gallery with the stuff we do have on hand, including the exclusive DEVASTATION 2009 Arcade-in-a-Box custom joystick. Everyone who pre-registers gets a free raffle ticket! Check out the gallery here: http://jedirobb.smugmug.com/gallery/7777519_8yEU6

Address Update/Confirmation
  • The Phoenix Convention Center is comprised of three buildings and to help clarify the one we are in, the South Building, we have updated the address to reflect that specific building: 33 South 3rd Street Phoenix, Arizona 85004.
  • When you get to the South Building do not go into the Main entrance but rather, the South Entrance/Lobby that is to the South/Right of the Main lobby. We are cool enough to have our own entrance and lobby directly into the South Ballroom.

Website Information Portal
  • We are closing in on DEVASTATION and so we are updating the site into something of an information hub. Throughout the event we will be live-streaming coverage on the main section of the site as well as updating Twitter, uploading images and videos, as well as blogs and forum feeds. Get over to the Social page and befriend, subcribe, etc. to the various community-sites on there so you are ready for the event: http://www.devastationevent.com/Social
More to come...

DEVASTATION is back again for its fifth year and we are bigger and better than ever! To celebrate this anniversary we are blowing the roof off for our players and posting guaranteed pots for tournament games. We have $10,000.00 in Guaranteed Prizes up for grabs so far!

The guaranteed prize titles announced at this point:
- $2,000.00 for STREET FIGHTER IV
- $2,000.00 for GUILTY GEAR XX ACCENT CORE
- $2,000.00 for SUPER SMASH BROS BRAWL
- $2,000.00 for TEKKEN 6
- $2,000.00 for GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR

We would like to thank these Supporters for their contributions to the prize pots:
Big Boys & Their Toys
Castles N' Coasters
The Temple Arcade

In addition to the HUGE payouts we are proud to partner with the Big Boys & Their Toys Expo to cover our expo area this year. Registered players will have access to over 160,000 square feet of expo space adjoining the DEVASTATION event floor.

All registered players will receive a free DEVASTATION shirt, custom badge and lanyards, raffle ticket and more; you even get to choose the custom badge online from over 18 options! Click "Add to Cart" on one of the games in the registration section and you will see the badges available this year.

A portion of all proceeds, including the raffle and other fundraisers will go towards Off Campus Jams, a not-for-profit organization that maintains foster home communities and programs for children under eighteen. So not only are you able to attend an awesome Event, but also help out an extraordinary cause at the same time.

What:
DEVASTATION 2009
http://www.devastationevent.com

When is it:
Friday, June 19th - Sunday, June 21st 2009

Where is it at:
Phoenix Convention Center, South Building
100 North 3rd Street
Phoenix, Arizona 85004 USA
Map!

Hotel Arrangements:
Hyatt Regency Phoenix
122 North Second Street
Phoenix, Arizona 85004 USA

Tournament Games List:
- Madden NFL 09
- Street Fighter IV, $2,000.00 Guaranteed Pot Announced
- Marvel vs Capcom 2
- SoulCalibur IV
- Tatsunoko vs Capcom
- Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2
- Guilty Gear XX Accent Core, $2,000.00 Guaranteed Pot Announced
- Super Smash Brothers Brawl, $2,000.00 Guaranteed Pot Announced
- Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
- Tekken 6, $2,000.00 Guaranteed Pot Announced - Sponsored by Castles N Coasters
- Guitar Hero World Tour, $2,000.00 Guaranteed Pot Announced - Sponsored by Big Boys & Their Toys
- Gears of War 2 (Wingman 2v2 and Warzone 4v4 events)
- Street Fighter III: Third Strike (3v3)
- Mario Kart Wii

On top of the tournament and expo sections, DEVASTATION boasts a massive casual play area with console games and a truckload (literally) of arcade machines from our partner, Castles N' Coasters, all set to free play for our attendees to enjoy. So, even if you are not the 'tournament" type, you are still welcome to come and play with other gamers.

On top of the tournament and expo sections, DEVASTATION boasts a massive casual play area with console games and a truckload (literally) of arcade machines from our partner, Castles N' Coasters, all set to free play for our attendees to enjoy. So, even if you are not the 'tournament" type, you are still welcome to come and play with other gamers.

Arcade Machine List (on FreePlay):
- Guitar Hero Arcade (brand-new, two player arcade version)
- Killer Instinct (yes, KI 1)
- X-Men (four player side-scroller)
- House of the Dead 4 (two player rail shooter)
- Donkey Kong (classic)
- PGA Tour (golf simulator)
- Spider-Man Pinball Machine
- Family Guy Pinball Machine
- ...and more

We are allowing/working with several groups to coordinate side-tournaments/events, here are some confirmed thus far...

Confirmed Side-Tournaments:
- BlazBlue (Singles and Doubles)
- Raging Storm (KoF 2002 Neo Geo, KoF 98 UM, KoF XI, KoF 2002 UM, Garou MotW
- Super Smash Bros Melee (Singles and Doubles)
- Karnov's Revenge (Singles)
- Battle Fantasia (Singles)
- Call of Duty: World at War: Nazi Zombies (Teams)
- Halo 3 (Singles and Doubles)

Important Quick Notes:
- Registration fees increase April 15th to $45.00
- Registration fees increase May 1st to $50.00
- Raffle ticket prices increase April 15th to $10.00
- Hotel Room rates are $105.00 for double occupancy, rooms running out at that price, make reservations now

THIS IS JUST THE BEGINNING!

We have more details and surprises to unveil; keep an eye out here and the website for further details: http://www.devastationevent.com

Online registration is REQUIRED, so run over to the website and secure your spot now!

UPDATE: Feb 2nd

Super Smash Bros Brawl is the next $2,000.00 guaranteed prize title!

Additionally, we have released three new Player Badges, including a limited edition Street Fighter IV badge with only 50 available.

Here are the new badges:
- Tatsunoko vs Capcom (B)
- Street Fighter IV (A)
- Street Fighter IV (CE)

UPDATE: March 9th

Tekken 6 and Guitar Hero: World Tour are the next two $2,000.00 guaranteed prize titles!

UPDATE: March 10th

We can now confirm that a Doubles tournament for Brawl will be held, as well as a Melee tournament. Both will be side events that you'll have the option to sign up for on-site.

UPDATE: April 2nd

DEVASTATION Updates:

* Super Smash Bros Brawl Doubles (Official) Tournament announced, rules posted and registration is open
* SNK/Raging Storm Guest Badge variant and Player Badge available on the site (now 18 badges to choose from)
* Confirmed Side-Tournaments: SNK KOF (5 titles with bonus pots), BlazBlue (singles and doubles), Super Smash Bros Melee (singles and doubles), Karnov's Revenge (Singles), Battle Fantasia (Singles)

Important Price Increase Note/Dates!

* On April 15th, the Registration fee will go up to $45.00 and the Raffle Tickets to $10.00.
* On May 1st, the Registration fee will go up to $50.00 and remain there until day-of, emergency registrations.

You wait to pay and you will pay more...

Hotel Reservation Information

* Just a reminder, we have a block of rooms reserved at the Hyatt Regency across the street from the DEVASTATION venue. These room rates are only good until May and then the prices will increase.
* Room rates are $105.00 for double occupancy
* Make your reservation now, check out the Hotel Page: http://www.devastationevent.com/hotel

We have a more updates coming so do not be surprised if we post up again shortly.

UPDATE: April 7th

Prize Breakdown

Smash Brawl Singles - $2,000 Minimum (possibly more depending on turnout)
1st - $1,400
2nd - $400
3rd - $200

Smash Brawl Doubles and all Melee tournaments are dependent on the number of entries with a 70/20/10 split.

In addition to the standard cash breakdown, every registered player at DEVASTATION gets a free t-shirt and raffle ticket. There are a lot of nice prizes in the raffle.

We also have as-of-yet unannounced prizes that will give everyone an opportunity to take some nice stuff home even if you don't place 1st through 3rd. More details on these prizes will be coming soon, but expect to be impressed. ^_^

Ruleshttp://www.devastationevent.com/grules

Super Smash Brothers Brawl - Singles
Game Version: US Nintendo Wii
Game Settings: Versus, 3 Stock, Round Timer at 7 minutes, 2/3 Games, Losers stage selection

Items off
In the case of a tie, winner will be determined by lives then percentage.
First Stage: Players either agree on a stage or judge will force one of the Neutral Stages.
After Game, loser chooses stage, winner chooses character, loser chooses character.
No Stage may be played twice in a match unless both players willingly agree.

Players may pick from any of these stages, unless both willingly agree on another stage:

Neutral Stages:
- Smashville
- Battlefield
- Yoshi’s Island
- Final Destination

Counter Pick Stages:
- Frigate Orpheon
- Rainbow Cruise
- Delfino Plaza
- Pokemon Stadium
- Battleship Halberd

Super Smash Brothers Brawl - Doubles
Game Version: US Nintendo Wii
Game Settings: Team 2 vs 2, Versus Mode, 3 Stocks (each), Round Timer at 7 minutes, 2/3 Games, Losers stage selection

Items off
Life stealing is allowed
Team Attack is on
In the case of a tie, winner will be determined by lives then percentage.
First Stage: Players either agree on a stage or judge will force one of the Neutral Stages.
After Game, loser chooses stage, winner chooses character, loser chooses character.
No Stage may be played twice in a match unless both players willingly agree.

Players may pick from any of these stages, unless both willingly agree on another stage:

Neutral Stages:
- Smashville
- Battlefield
- Yoshi’s Island
- Final Destination

Counter Pick Stages:
- Frigate Orpheon
- Rainbow Cruise
- Delfino Plaza
- Pokemon Stadium
- Battleship Halberd

Are we done yet? No.
What other stuff are we going to announce and WHEN!? Wait for it...

DrDogg

Smash Journeyman
I updated the original post. The next prize announcement will be made on February 2nd (Monday) and it's going to be big. Stay tuned...

DrDogg

Smash Journeyman
Update:

Super Smash Bros Brawl is the next $2,000.00 guaranteed prize title!

Additionally, we have released three new Player Badges, including a limited edition Street Fighter IV badge with only 50 available.

Here are the new badges:
- Tatsunoko vs Capcom (B)
- Street Fighter IV (A)
- Street Fighter IV (CE)

Are we done yet? No.
Are we going to guarantee more pots/amounts? Yes.
What other stuff are we going to announce and WHEN!? Wait for it...

Jaxx

Smash Cadet
No Smash or are you being facetious?

Updated Smash rules on the site - put rounds back up to 3 stock/7 minutes.
Nah bro thats just Koske being Koske.

I'm gonna ask Robb about holding a melee side tourney as well for those who are all interested. I will be running it, just like last year. I gotta keep my melee folks interested.

DrDogg

Smash Journeyman
We have to make sure Forward (or any other AZ local) wins this. Can't let the out of state players go home with all the money.

Akunin

Smash Rookie
Is there going to be doubles?
As of right now there are no doubles. But if doubles is something that the community really wants I'm sure we can work something out. Maybe thats a doubles side tournament or something along those lines.

If people want doubles post up and be heard!

Starking

Smash Cadet
Doubles sound really good. Every tourney I've gone too or have seen has had Singles and Doubles. Always a standard.

DrDogg

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it'll be a problem to do singles and doubles, but the $2,000 will probably just be for singles. Doubles would be standard entry fee pot.

I'll talk with the peeps and let you guys know if we do a doubles, but at this point I'd assume it's in.

Sanu

Smash Champion
XFD @ lack of melee but having titles like MVC2, SFII and SFIII. Pretty awesome.

DrDogg

Smash Journeyman
Jax will be running a Melee side tournament. I'll update the OP with these new details as soon as everything has been locked down.

jedirobb

Smash Rookie
New DEVASTATION Prize Pots - $10,000.00 up for grabs!

We have now added TWO more games to the $2,000.00 guaranteed prize pot events at DEVASTATION:

Tekken 6, $2000.00 Guaranteed Prize Pot
Guitar Hero World Tour, $2000.00 Guaranteed Prize Pot

These two games put us up to the $10,000.00 point in GUARANTEED PRIZE MONEY!

...and no, WE ARE NOT DONE!

Go, get registered now: http://www.devastationevent.com

DrDogg

Smash Journeyman
Updated the OP with two new prize confirmations!

Brawl Doubles and Melee side tournaments are virtually locked down so look for those announcements very soon as well.

DrDogg

Smash Journeyman
The more the merrier!

Updated the OP with confirmation of a Brawl Doubles and Melee side tournament!

Jar'd

Smash Ace
Lots of people need to come to thissss.

M2k, Ally, and Atomsk have expressed interest in the tourney. I really hope they come.

DrDogg

Smash Journeyman
Lots of people need to come to thissss.

M2k, Ally, and Atomsk have expressed interest in the tourney. I really hope they come.
We have a minimum $2k for Brawl singles, which will probably be much higher after all the entrants have been accounted for. Plus we have Brawl doubles and Melee like most other tournaments and a bunch of other games alongside a huge casual crowd that will garner a few more entrants.

I expect to see many big names at this event...

did someone say tekken?

:D :D :D :D
Yes sir! Tekken 6... and we're looking into having Bloodline Rebellion with PS3 controller hook-ups. It's unconfirmed for the time being, but looking likely.

if i go to this then im not going to genesis... one OOS tourney per summer lol
We'd like to see you go to as many majors as possible, but if you can only pick one, I'd recommedn DEVASTATION. ^_^

...and we're not done with our prize announcements either. ;)

Akunin

Smash Rookie
Big names from every game under the sun are pretty much confirmed. I can't think of any other tournament thats even remotely like DEVASTATION.

DrDogg

Smash Journeyman
I'll stick this and Genesis on April 1st.
Thank you! Very much appreciated!

Also wanted to remind everyone who is confirmed to be attending to pre-register at the website. Prices will be going up soon, so register now to save money. On-site registration will cost you more! I'll post here before the prices officially go up so you have a little warning, but it will be soon.

And just to see if you guys have any preference... it's looking like we'll run Melee and Brawl doubles on Friday, with Brawl singles on Saturday. Cool with everyone?

Jaxx

Smash Cadet
yo, just an announcement, I've confered with plenty of people about this, but this is the only real way to get some of the old melee heads to come out of retirement.

SSBM Singles-$15

SSBM Teams-$20

I want to see where the interest level is at for this melee side tourney.

DrDogg

Smash Journeyman
yo, just an announcement, I've confered with plenty of people about this, but this is the only real way to get some of the old melee heads to come out of retirement.

SSBM Singles-$15

SSBM Teams-$20

I want to see where the interest level is at for this melee side tourney.
I think you'll get quite a few people playing Melee, but do you think some of the "retired" players will make the trip? Would be nice to see some of the old school players come back for DEVASTATION.

i might come to this
You'll be missing out if you don't make it. ^_^

Jaxx

Smash Cadet
To be honest, with a $2000 pot for smash, you would think there would be more interest. I guess it shows the state of brawl, however, I expect interest to peak when it gets closer to june.

Akunin

Smash Rookie
To be honest, with a $2000 pot for smash, you would think there would be more interest. I guess it shows the state of brawl, however, I expect interest to peak when it gets closer to june.

There is a ton of hype around smash and DEVASTATION. you'll start to see more of it now that its about 2 months away. people are gonna start training and tightening up their game.

DrDogg

Smash Journeyman
If you ask the players directly, there's a good deal of interest among the top Smash people. It's like this on all of the bigger forums. Most people don't post in the thread, but they're very aware of the event and plan on attending.

Akunin

Smash Rookie
If you ask the players directly, there's a good deal of interest among the top Smash people. It's like this on all of the bigger forums. Most people don't post in the thread, but they're very aware of the event and plan on attending.

DEVASTATION is so big the hype is telepathic.

jedirobb

Smash Rookie
DEVASTATION Updates

Thread updated April 1st...

DEVASTATION Updates:

Super Smash Bros Brawl Doubles (Official) Tournament announced, rules posted and registration is open
SNK/Raging Storm Guest Badge variant and Player Badge available on the site (now 18 badges to choose from)
Confirmed Side-Tournaments: SNK KOF (5 titles with bonus pots), BlazBlue (singles and doubles), Super Smash Bros Melee (singles and doubles), Karnov's Revenge (Singles), Battle Fantasia (Singles)

Important Price Increase Note/Dates!

On April 15th, the Registration fee will go up to $45.00 and the Raffle Tickets to $10.00.
On May 1st, the Registration fee will go up to $50.00 and remain there until day-of, emergency registrations.

You wait to pay and you will pay more...

Hotel Reservation Information

Just a reminder, we have a block of rooms reserved at the Hyatt Regency across the street from the DEVASTATION venue. These room rates are only good until May and then the prices will increase.
Room rates are $105.00 for double occupancy
Make your reservation now, check out the Hotel Page: http://www.devastationevent.com/hotel
We have a more updates coming so do not be surprised if we post up again shortly.

Akunin

Smash Rookie
What is everyone's opinion on possibly doing some regional smash exibition matches? maybe EC vs WC?

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Okay. I'm stickying this. Three requests though:
1. Post the RULES in this topic
2. Post the breakdown of 1st/2nd/3rd/4th/etc for the $2,000 prize pool
3. Explain the doubles prize pool

Top Bottom