• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DEVASTATION 2009 : June 19th-21st : $2,000.00 Pots

DrDogg

Smash Journeyman
Which days are the smash for devastation? I have to be back in NM on the 21st. Would i be safe to come still?
Depending on where in NM you live, it's only about a 6 hour drive. Smash Melee will be Friday, Brawl will be Saturday, with Brawl finals on Sunday morning.

If you can be back in NM by Sunday night or if you're okay with missing Brawl finals, you should be fine.

rocklee10

Smash Journeyman
So, is it $50 per tournament? Or for the whole thing? Because I can't afford $100, but would like to do Brawl and World Tour.

DrDogg

Smash Journeyman
So, is it $50 per tournament? Or for the whole thing? Because I can't afford $100, but would like to do Brawl and World Tour.
it's $50 for full registration, then $10 for each official tournament you register for.

http://www.devastationevent.com/faq#cost
Actually, we lowered the price to $45 registration since we've had such a good response with pre-registers.

You pay $45 registration fee, which is a one time fee whether you're playing one main tournament game or ten.

So if you're playing Brawl and World Tour, here's what you're looking at:

$45 - Registration Fee
$10 - Brawl
$10 - Guitar Hero

Sliraobe God

Smash Apprentice
DrDogg just to let you know at least 3 NM players are confirmed for your melee side tournament. don't even worry about brawl - each and every one of else will enter.
If the tourney becomes official, then we will probably consider bringing a second car for up to 10 NM peeps (we'll come with El Paso) :)

PB&J

Smash Hero
jaxx if i get more money soon me and colbol will come i just have to pay for my genesis ticket first but i really want to come

DrDogg

Smash Journeyman
DrDogg just to let you know at least 3 NM players are confirmed for your melee side tournament. don't even worry about brawl - each and every one of else will enter.
If the tourney becomes official, then we will probably consider bringing a second car for up to 10 NM peeps (we'll come with El Paso) :)
Great to see NM coming!

The only difference between an "official" tournament and a "side" tournament is the ability to pre-register online. Our Melee tournament will very likely be larger than some of our official tournaments. I would not be surprised if we get more people for Melee than we do for Brawl... and possibly a bigger prize pot as well.

-TroLL-

Smash Rookie
So according to this,

"These badges allow access for all three days but do not allow you to compete in sanctioned tournament games but you can still enter and compete in the various side-tournaments and events."

I can buy a guest pass and compete in Melee if that's all I want to do, correct?

DrDogg

Smash Journeyman
how the hell would mario kart work in tourney?
Some people would say the same thing about Smash you know...

Mario Kart has a decent sized tournament scene. No where near Smash, but there is a tournament scene for the game.

So according to this,

"These badges allow access for all three days but do not allow you to compete in sanctioned tournament games but you can still enter and compete in the various side-tournaments and events."

I can buy a guest pass and compete in Melee if that's all I want to do, correct?
That would be correct. If you're only coming for Melee, all you need is a guest badge.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Drdogg, do you need any help running Brawl? I'd be glad to help TO if you need it. I'm planning on just coming as a guest anyways, rather than competing.

Let me know via PM, and I'll help however you need me. (setup, tear-down, TO, whatever....)

Sao

Smash Cadet
Just out of curiosity, is there any way to see how many people have registered for certain games? I'd be interested to see how many have shown interest in brawl and sf4.

DrDogg

Smash Journeyman
Drdogg, do you need any help running Brawl? I'd be glad to help TO if you need it. I'm planning on just coming as a guest anyways, rather than competing.

Let me know via PM, and I'll help however you need me. (setup, tear-down, TO, whatever....)
We should have enough people, but I'll let you know if we need additional help. Setup is covered, but depending on how many people we get for Brawl, we may want additional people running pools.

Just out of curiosity, is there any way to see how many people have registered for certain games? I'd be interested to see how many have shown interest in brawl and sf4.
No, that's all internal data, and honestly it wouldn't be of much benefit. 90% of our players register on-site every year. Last year we had 700 players show up and only a handful pre-registered. SF4 is leading the pack on pre-registrations though.

DrDogg

Smash Journeyman
Online Registration Closes Friday, June 12th
  • Yup, the time is fast approaching and all you procrastinators out there need to get it going.
  • Anyone who does not register will not get any t-shirts/swag bags unless we have extras and you will have to sit in the sucky day-of line while all the registered people get to walk by you and go directly to the check-in. So how about you get registered and save everyone some headaches: http://www.devastationevent.com

Raffle Gallery updated with new items
  • While we are still waiting for more raffle items to show up, we have been updating the raffle gallery with the stuff we do have on hand, including the exclusive DEVASTATION 2009 Arcade-in-a-Box custom joystick. Everyone who pre-registers gets a free raffle ticket! Check out the gallery here: http://jedirobb.smugmug.com/gallery/7777519_8yEU6

Address Update/Confirmation
  • The Phoenix Convention Center is comprised of three buildings and to help clarify the one we are in, the South Building, we have updated the address to reflect that specific building: 33 South 3rd Street Phoenix, Arizona 85004.
  • When you get to the South Building do not go into the Main entrance but rather, the South Entrance/Lobby that is to the South/Right of the Main lobby. We are cool enough to have our own entrance and lobby directly into the South Ballroom.

Website Information Portal
  • We are closing in on DEVASTATION and so we are updating the site into something of an information hub. Throughout the event we will be live-streaming coverage on the main section of the site as well as updating Twitter, uploading images and videos, as well as blogs and forum feeds. Get over to the Social page and befriend, subcribe, etc. to the various community-sites on there so you are ready for the event: http://www.devastationevent.com/Social
More to come...

What time exactly is the Melee tourney starting?
We can't say exactly what time since it won't start until registration has been completed Friday morning. However, I can estimate it will begin sometime between 10am and 11am.

DrDogg

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately we can't run Melee singles and doubles, and Brawl singles and doubles all in one day. So yes, Melee is all day Friday, and Brawl is all day Saturday with Brawl finals on Sunday.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
What are the rules on banning/striking stages for Melee?

p.s.

I can help Jaxx seed the bracket if he needs it.

DrDogg

Smash Journeyman
Jaxx has Melee handled for the rules but it'll be standard community rule set. I'll see if I can get him in here to post. ^_^

DrDogg

Smash Journeyman
We'll allow plenty of time for registration, but we want to start early... hopefully by noon at the very latest. 10 or 11am would be ideal.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Oh goodness... that's terrible :( I won't be able to make it until probably around 3:15/3:30.

There won't, by any chance, be a Melee doubles tourney first, will there? I've been psyched for this for months :(

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
I have to work in the afternoon, so I'll probably be there hanging out with people during the tournament. Is there any way we can get Melee moved to Saturday since it would be more convenient for some of the local heroes? :)

On a side note, if anyone out of state needs housing PM me. I can probably only house 2-3 people, let me know ASAP.

DrDogg

Smash Journeyman
Oh goodness... that's terrible :( I won't be able to make it until probably around 3:15/3:30.

There won't, by any chance, be a Melee doubles tourney first, will there? I've been psyched for this for months :(
Doubles will be played out first unless there are severe objections to that. There's a good chance we'll still be in singles pool play around the time you'll arrive. If you know some people going, just have them talk to me or one of the other admins and we'll make sure you're placed in the bracket.

I have to work in the afternoon, so I'll probably be there hanging out with people during the tournament. Is there any way we can get Melee moved to Saturday since it would be more convenient for some of the local heroes? :)

On a side note, if anyone out of state needs housing PM me. I can probably only house 2-3 people, let me know ASAP.
We can't run four Smash tournaments in one day. We only have so many TVs and Wii/GCNs. However, I can lead off Friday morning with Melee doubles to give people more time to arrive for Melee singles. Would that help anyone?

It's also possible we could run a second Melee tournament on Saturday in the casual area. Just depends on how many Cubes we have since the Wiis will all be in use for Brawl.

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
The next important question... Are your TVs CRT(Tube) or HD and LCD/Plasma? Specifically for Melee as it is the most affected by TV lag.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Well I know Tai and Jaxx (actually I know just about everybody in the AZ Melee scene pretty much) if that helps any. And yes, I'd really appreciate the doubles going first :) It would mean I didn't have to rush a Spanish exam ^_^

Goop

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately we can't run Melee singles and doubles, and Brawl singles and doubles all in one day. So yes, Melee is all day Friday, and Brawl is all day Saturday with Brawl finals on Sunday.
Melee players can guarantee that none of your TV's are used on Saturday if you do the tourney then. I will personally be willing to run the tourney on Saturday if we do it then so none of your staff or resources (tv's and setups) will be used if we do the tourney then.

The scene wont be too large probably no more than 20 people so we could run both a double and singles tourney in like 7 hours tops probably more like 5 to 6 hours though.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Yeah, I'd be much happier with it being on Saturday.

You should get the final word to us within the next few hours if possible.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=365712
MarkMan said:
Devastation to be streamed LIVE all weekend long!

Marcus "djWHEAT" Graham returns to broadcasting while Scott "SirScoots" Smith returns behind the mixer for this weekend's Devastation fighting game tournament.

This weekend's Devastation event will be streamed live through uStream.tv for three consecutive days, 8-10 hours a day, featuring all-day coverage, expert commentary, exhibition matches, player interviews, special guests, and special features. The event will be dubbed a Live On Three production, and mark the return of Live On Three's Marcus "djWHEAT" Graham and Scott "SirScoots" Smith to a live gaming event. djWHEAT hasn't covered an event since the Championship Gaming Series fell through, and SirScoots hasn't either since last year's MLG PC circuit for GotFrag TV. Both have been itching to get back to live streaming competitive gaming and eSports, and Devastation is the perfect event to start with. They will be joined by Live On Three co-host Rod "Slasher" Breslau, author and journalist Bryan "DrDogg" Dawson (NeoGAF's very own), as well as former CGS player and WCG Ultimate Gamer contestant Adande "sWooZie" Thorne.

Every game at the event will get air time including Tekken 6, Guilty Gear Accent Core, Super Smash Brothers Brawl, Guitar Hero: World Tour, SF3: 3rd Strike, Marvel vs Capcom 2, SSF2 Turbo HD Remix, King of Fighters XII, and of course the main event, Street Fighter 4. The video feeds for all the games will be hooked up directly to the cabinets for great quality. This will also be the first Tekken 6 tournament in the US, and the first major KOFXII event.

The Street Fighter 4 tournament will be the largest so far this year, with major competitors flying in from all around the country and on both coasts. GameStop National champion Justin "Marvelous" Wong and his SBO partner Martin “Marn” Phan will be flying in from the east coast along with Flash Metroid, and Ari "fLoE" Weintraub from the midwest. The west coast will be representated nicely with SBO qualifier winner Peter "Combofiend" Rosas looking to extend his win streak, along with Ryan "gootecks" Gutierrez, Mike Ross, Ricky Ortiz, Edward "EdMa" Ma, Mike Watson, Ken I, and Eliver "KillerKai" Ling. Guest commentary porovided by Gootecks, Mike Ross and others will come as the tournament progresses.

Tekken 6, Marvel vs Capcom 2 and SF3: Third Strike will start on Friday, while Street Fighter 4 won't start till Saturday.

All the action will start around at 11:30 AM EST (17:30 CET) each day and last until 10:00 PM EST (05:00 CET). For the live stream, tune into http://www.djwheat.tv (being worked on right now) or http://www.ustream.tv/channel/djwheat.

Top Bottom