• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DEVASTATION 2009 : June 19th-21st : $2,000.00 Pots

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Shouldn't the payout be for the top 5?

Also you could add some more stages Brinstar and Castle siege theres nothing wrong with them in fact brinstar seems like a better stage than a lot of others. You won't have the time running out with 2 stocks left there. And lylat is banned too? wow thats a very odd move.

I also think striking 5 stages is much better than going random on 4. The choice is left up the players with striking I don't see how they could complain.

Also if anyone coming from Texas or anywhere driving through el paso I can house you but we're 6 hours away following the speed limit.

DrDogg

Smash Journeyman
The standard payout is top 3 for almost all fighting game tournaments. However, we have a ton of stuff for people who don't place top 3 that we'll be talking about in the near future.

If I had to guess, I'd say half of the players will go home with some nice stuff no matter what they place. That includes monetary stuff and physical prizes like our raffle items.

As for the rules, we tried to minimize the rules to make it easier on everyone. We're certainly open to making any necessary adjustments to ensure the community enjoys the event. There's no point in running a tournament if the community doesn't like the rules.

However, we thought the current set of rules was fair all around. Would you disagree with that? If so, we'll definitely look into some adjustments.

El Paso is pretty close, and I know some people will be coming from Dallas and Houston, but I'm not sure if they're driving for flying.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Well to me striking seems a lot fairer than going random because some characters have there counter pick stages there like diddykong and falco do great on FD. With striking players head for a mutual stage. It's not something very complicated and takes a minute to do tops.

I still don't know what you find unfair about lylat it is a neutral in more than half of the tournaments. It has a lot fewer things going on than rainbow cruise battle ship and frigate. Brinstar has nothing random going on either the lava helps out characters with bad recoveries and the hills screw some over with spacing and chains grabs so it seems like a perfect counter pick to me.

I like the WHOBO stage list with the exception of ps2 norfair and switching lylat to for ps1 on the neutrals list (which actually was done last minute). http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=216278

DrDogg

Smash Journeyman
I see where you're coming from and if you really think it's a significant issue we can adjust the rules accordingly.

However, technically no stages are banned. The rules state that any stage can be used if both players agree on it. This also means that the players can use whatever method they desire to select the stage, so long as both players agree.

That alone leaves it open so that the players can select any stage they agree upon.

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
Team DARK AND DARK will be there runnin SNK stuff and helping the Devastation staff. This tournament is gonna be gdlk, and I really hope names like M2K, Anther, Ally, Ken, and etc. show up to this...

There is TOO MUCH MONEY on the line to pass this up...

Are you fucking kidding me??? I wish I was pro at BRAWL, that money would be all MINES!!!

Guys, PLEASE come to this!!!

I'll rub everyone's feet if you do...:bee:

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
OMFG LAIN, YOU ALL (MI) MUST COME TO THIS TOURNAMENT!!!

I WILL BE THERE!!!

Group sex...brawl...and good times to come!!!

error13

Smash Journeyman
Shouldn't the payout be for the top 5?

Also you could add some more stages Brinstar and Castle siege theres nothing wrong with them in fact brinstar seems like a better stage than a lot of others. You won't have the time running out with 2 stocks left there. And lylat is banned too? wow thats a very odd move.

I also think striking 5 stages is much better than going random on 4. The choice is left up the players with striking I don't see how they could complain.

Also if anyone coming from Texas or anywhere driving through el paso I can house you but we're 6 hours away following the speed limit.
dont listen to him

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
$2000 pot? Either the weed is insanely good or I'm paying for like 5 pounds.
Come to this, lain. If I can manage to change my travel plans for that weekend, I might be able to host michigan.

DrDogg

Smash Journeyman
yo where's doa4 :(
Aside from the recent WCG Fighter Club, the competitive scene for DOA4 is essentially dead. I guarantee if we held DOA it wouldn't get more than 10 players.

That said... you're more than welcome to run a DOA side tournament if you like. There's plenty of room.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
This might actually be really good. I think I'll be there. I'm working on bringing some good OoS smashers too, so there might be some top competition.

nevershootme

Smash Master
I wish i could come to this now, but after calculating airfare it looks like it's over my budget unless otherwise there are better deals. but $200 seems reasonable. but now after looking at flights on orbitz, it's gonna be rough for me to get back to miami before class time 6:25pm so i can't make it :( grr

$200 airfare
$100 hotel (even less if finding people to tag along into the hotel)
$50 registration
$10 each tourney (for me it'll be brawl mostly >_>)

sounds worth it

DrDogg

Smash Journeyman
This might actually be really good. I think I'll be there. I'm working on bringing some good OoS smashers too, so there might be some top competition.
Several top players have already registered and/or expressed interest in going. We'd love to see more, but there's definitely a good number already coming. ^_^

I wish i could come to this now, but after calculating airfare it looks like it's over my budget unless otherwise there are better deals. but $200 seems reasonable. but now after looking at flights on orbitz, it's gonna be rough for me to get back to miami before class time 6:25pm so i can't make it :( grr

$200 airfare
$100 hotel (even less if finding people to tag along into the hotel)
$50 registration
$10 each tourney (for me it'll be brawl mostly >_>)

sounds worth it
$200 from Miami is a really good deal. Right now most flights are $100 - 300 depending on where you're coming from.

Do you have class on Sunday or are you talking about Monday? Smash finals will be fairly early on Sunday, and the Phoenix Convention Center is very close to the airport. You could probably get a ~4pm flight out of Phoenix Sunday afternoon and not miss any of the Smash action.

Also, registration goes up as we get closer to the event. Right now it's at $45, so you can still save money by pre-registering.

Akunin

Smash Rookie
melee singles and doubles will be on friday and brawl singles and doubles will be on saturday

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
a tekken 6 tournament wth a $2k pot bonus? it hasn't hit north america yet -.-
not fair.

i might try to make a road trip for this. tekken, melee, AND garou? too good.

DrDogg

Smash Journeyman
DEVASTATION Updates:

Side-Tournament Updates - New Games Added!

* Call of Duty World at War: Nazi Zombies (Teams)
* Halo 3 (Singles and Doubles)

Hotel Reservation Information

* Just a reminder, we have a block of rooms reserved at the Hyatt Regency across the street from the DEVASTATION venue. These room rates are only good until May and then the prices will increase.
* Room rates are $105.00 for double occupancy
* Make your reservation now, check out the Hotel Page: http://www.devastationevent.com/hotel

We have a more updates coming so do not be surprised if we post up again shortly.

DrDogg

Smash Journeyman
So do you need to register for any event?

Or just certain ones, and if that is the case, would you have to register for Melee singles?
If you're only coming for Melee you can register on-site. Even if you're coming for Brawl you can still do on-site registration, but the lines will be pretty long. If you pre-register you avoid most of those lines.

Akunin

Smash Rookie
Hey procrastinators... this is your one month warning - DEVASTATION is one month away. Get your travel and hotel arrangements squared away and get registered.

Since we are here reminding everyone might as well post up some news as well:

New Supporters:
- Best Buy
- Qwest Communications

MCs and Live Streaming:
- Marcus "DJ Wheat" and Adande "sWooZie" will MC DEVASTATION for the full weekend
- Live streaming of event including interviews and matches (we will post up links starting June 18th)

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
New Mexico is coming to this, we need housing for up to 5.

DrDogg

Smash Journeyman
Hit up the AZ thread for potential housing. I'm not sure who's full yet, but I believe some people there are willing to house.

Sao

Smash Cadet
Trust me this event is more known than it seems. I've cut back my hours on work just so I can get back up to pace with the top players. Devastation is the motivation for a lot of the brawl players that were going away to practice up. Will be excited to see and compare my Diddy with any others if they show up!

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Which days are the smash for devastation? I have to be back in NM on the 21st. Would i be safe to come still?

Top Bottom