• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Making Your Own Textures: Download Links and a Small Guide (Updated for legality)

Status
Not open for further replies.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Essentially, this is a guide to making your own textures and portraits.

Here are some of the things you'll need:
CSPTools
ASH
GIMP or Photoshop
The PAC List for each character

Download links for the following (everything is free):
Pac List
ASH*
CSPTools*
GIMP

*Get your own version of ntcompress.exe and textconv.exe They are illegal so they will not be posted here.

You need to know the following:

First, unzip the .pac list and copy all the files inside the ASH folder. Then, run Step 1 Extract. Choose the pac file you want to start working on. Then, edit the picture files as desired (remember, most things cannot become invisible and it can have undesired consequences if they are made so) and save it. Run Step 2 and include everything you want to be in the characters texture, with either a y for yes or an n for no. It will then output _new.pcs and _new.pac. Rename them accordingly and put them in the proper location. If it says it might be corrupt, then exit out of step two and re-open the files and in GIMP go to:

Image, Mode, Index, change it to the number of colors requested if it says that it needs to be smaller.

This should fix your problem.

If you want to edit a texture someone else made, just copy that .pac and extract it. Then edit it as you please. However, if it only has the .pcs file, do the following (a .pac creator):

Put the .pcs into the ASH folder and then drag it onto the program labeled:
lz77ex.exe

Run it and it will output something with the suffix: .pcs.out
Change this to .pac and then you can edit it as you please. This is also useful for characters who transform because now you can tranform them safely if the .pac is not given to you.

Now, about Battle Portraits. Unless you .iso hack your Wii (I won't tell you about it), small battle portraits do not work so ignore them. Anyway, go into CSP Tools and read the guide.

Things you do need to know in addition:
The background should be perfect magenta, 255 Red, 0 Green, 255 Blue. Also, all the pink has to be touching an edge. If there is magenta stuck inside a body part, it will not properly compress and the file will appear blurry or split when you view it on the character selection screen. It can sometimes mess up multiple pictures.

The files should be 128x160 and be in 72 color indexed mode. If you do not do this, the program will say that the picture has no palette and cannot be compressed. Game and Watch CSP's must have be 32 indexed.

Finally, just copy over the three files (you really don't need the info file because it has nothing since you can't run small pictures anyway) and put them in the pf folder.

For a guide on how to use texture hacks, please visit the following:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=225642
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwGJvKf-y7M&fmt=6

Enjoy :)

Here's a pro tip from KnuxRouge:
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7410788&postcount=334

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
That's it? If that's the case...I might try my own textures sometime. *subscribed*

Dragonrage

Smash Apprentice
Now, about Battle Portraits. Unless you .iso hack your Wii (I won't tell you about it), small battle portraits do not work so ignore them.
They work with the Dynamic SD Loader, it's just a small typo in the code of CUPASH that messes up the file's names. While it should be InfFace###.brres they appear as InfFace.###.brres, if you remove the period after Face it should work.
Or you open the cupash_step2.pl and look for that part.

Code:
open NEWSMALL, ">newfiles/info/portrite/InfFace.".$realnumber.".brres" or die "I can't open newfiles/info/portrite/InfFace.".$realnumber.".brres";
binmode NEWSMALL;
If you remove it there your battle portraits will be named correctly.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm not seeing something in your PAC download.

I've noticed that you don't have the ".pac" file containing Wario's default overalls (FitWario06.pac if I'm not mistaken). What if someone wants to create a Wario texture, using his default overalls?

Finns7

Smash Ace
Can someone please help me, im a gimpshop user and I dont know how to change ikes hair color because its a plus 2 texture or w/e, Who ever helps me wins life :D:D:D

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
Thanks for the guide Alex; it's awesome. We really needed one of these.

Finns7

Smash Ace
How do I do Ikes Eye colors, It says unexpected error this color has erroneous colors. Its his Eye Iris

Can someone please help me @_@...............

Why the **** does Ike have so many +2 anyway

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
How do I do Ikes Eye colors, It says unexpected error this color has erroneous colors. Its his Eye Iris

Can someone please help me @_@...............

Why the **** does Ike have so many +2 anyway
I believe the +2 textures are the ones that can be made transparent (but don't quote me on that). There's a lot of info on +2 textures in the stickied topic:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=225642

DeadX

Smash Journeyman
*sigh* same problems.

even with the .pac file, zelda freezes the game turning into sheik. also, the iz77ex file doesn't work for me. the .pcs.out is smaller than the .pcs and the step1: extract says it is the incorrect file size.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
I've gotten to step two. Every time I run it, I get:

error: ImNew: no alpha layer in /location of first file for image 0

total alloc: 642229
total freed: 642229

press <enter> to quit.

What does this mean? I've tried the Indexed Color thing and that doesn't fix the problem.

If it makes a difference, I'm working on Pokémon Trainer and I'm trying to make a real retro colored (Totally gray scale) costume, not whatever he currently has as his white one.

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
Sorry to ask about something so early on in the procedure, but these megaupload links are being stupid for me and aren't working. Are there any mirrors for these downloads?

Edit: Never mind that, I was just able to get them, thanks!

Onwards to editing!

DeadX

Smash Journeyman
ok my computer is gay. i go to indexed, 72 colors, convert. i save. if i close the picture, then open it again, it says its not indexed. what should i do? (other than get a new comp)

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Ok that is very weird. Retro, a guy named Picano can help you out a lot there. I am a noob at making textures, I only know the basics but I am good at making large battle portraits and working my way up on small ones.

Tennet

Smash Champion
About the Ike problem one of his eyes textures never seem to work so i just didn't include it and the texture worked...but changing the color i dunno exactly...

Alrgureth

Smash Journeyman
I've attempted to make a texture, and been unsuccessful. When running step 2 and it asks if I want to include the textures etc, etc, I type "y" and hit enter, and then the program closes..just closes. I dunno what the problem is.

Alrgureth

Smash Journeyman
That is very weird, likely a glitch with the program. Try not including it, you might only be able to have 1 eye or whatever.
I've tried stuff like that. not including the first it asks me, then including the second..same thing. Tried not including the first like 3 or 4, then tried to include the 5th or whatever. Same issue.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yes I have but I can't make my own. I am trying to find the bug with it. If anyone can make their own small in game portrait, please tell me what you did.
Well for starters, you can always use the image that you've used for the big portrait. However, you'd resize it to appear smaller and reduce the number of colors on the image.

I've found out that the small portraits should respond properly if you set the maximum number of colors to 30.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Well for starters, you can always use the image that you've used for the big portrait. However, you'd resize it to appear smaller and reduce the number of colors on the image.

I've found out that the small portraits should respond properly if you set the maximum number of colors to 30.
Ok, any other info. Can you find the max number of colors it works on? Because I really want that to be like 60 or 50. Because 30 is horrific resolution.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Ok, any other info. Can you find the max number of colors it works on? Because I really want that to be like 60 or 50. Because 30 is horrific resolution.
I tried 71 colors, but that did not work since I got an error when doing step 2. I went with 30 so that the small portraits would still look fairly good, and so that step 2 doesn't encounter any errors.

I don't have an exact answer for your question, but you're less likely to encounter errors with step 2 if the small portraits have up to 30 colors. At least, that's what I've seen when I was experimenting with small portraits.

Here's an example of what will happen if the small portrait has too many colors.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Weird, did you actually test out the textures you made?? Because mine will output but they freeze if I use them.
I have tested out my current textures, but most of them are for the characters in which the ".pac" file is optional.

So far, only my Bowser custom texture has lead to some freezing issues. Of course, the freezing only occurred when more than one Bowser was selected on the character select screen.

matt4300

Smash Ace
Do you still need windows vista to do this... I was trying texure hacking earlier this week, and i got ****ed on the first step... the dude that made ssbextract (hienemann or something) didnet make it XP compatible... so is SSBexract still used in this method?

also yes i have tried putting it on /C:/ASH/ ect ect

i have also tried opening it manually ... for some reason i was able to get it to extract one pac one time... then i tried ot extract the rest and it wont even let me select it....

EDIT: OH! I noticed of all the texures I have only 1 can be seen online by both players and thats the outset (PJs) Tool link. Any ideas why? I have the .pac along with his .pcs, but I have the same thing going for most of my texures... So is it something the guy that made the texure did?

Williaint

Smash Cadet
I've searched all over the internet, reading related forums, and I can't for the life of me, figure out how to recompile the 'fitcharacter' folder back to pac. It doesn't show up in any tutorial, guide, thread. Lil' help?

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Thanks illinialex, I've been unable to find .pac files for the characters so have not been able to do anything.
Everything works fine with me, though I've only messed around with Toon Link.

EDIT: OH! I noticed of all the texures I have only 1 can be seen online by both players and thats the outset (PJs) Tool link. Any ideas why? I have the .pac along with his .pcs, but I have the same thing going for most of my texures... So is it something the guy that made the texure did?
That's strange, textures are not supposed to work online right?
Does the other person have the outset TL and it is running as well?
I don't know enough to understand how the texture hacks work, maybe there is something about how it was made(I can't imagine what) but I don't know where you got it so I can't look for myself. :ohwell:

D

Deleted member

Thanks illinialex, I've been unable to find .pac files for the characters so have not been able to do anything.
Everything works fine with me, though I've only messed around with Toon Link.

That's strange, textures are not supposed to work online right?
Does the other person have the outset TL and it is running as well?
I don't know enough to understand how the texture hacks work, maybe there is something about how it was made(I can't imagine what) but I don't know where you got it so I can't look for myself. :ohwell:
Maybe (this is a big maybe) he's somehow using the texture from the Outset Link trophy, or, you know, the person he played against could be lying.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Maybe (this is a big maybe) he's somehow using the texture from the Outset Link trophy, or, you know, the person he played against could be lying.
I'll believe that one of them is lying or has made a mistake of some sort before anything else honestly, I just don't want to look like a complete as* in my response so I avoided the subject. >_>

Using the texture from the trophy? Is there even anything set up for that?
Even if there is I can't imagine it allowing someone else to see it online as long as it follows the method used in this thread. Forcing TL to use a trophies textures ingame would probably have some major problems if not just looking screwed up, and if a code can do that and does not freeze the game then both players would still need the same code when online so there would be no confusion.

Of course, I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom