• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Making Your Own Textures: Download Links and a Small Guide (Updated for legality)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Okay... all of those folders inside the texture folder (not the texture folder itself)... copy them to the ASH folder and run step2_create.

If that doesn't work, rename all of the .tga files, erasing the +# in each of them.

Finally, if that doesn't work, do my original suggestion of running step1_extract and overwriting the folders.

If NONE of those things work, just put the texture folder into a .zip file and send it to me, and I'll take care of it for you.

Williaint

Smash Cadet
Okay. I feel I've tried everything. PM me your email, and I'll send the file.
Thanks for all the help!

IC3R

Smash Lord
Has anyone managed to get the character#_small.tga to work?

I can get the large ones to work, but not the smalls. Help plz?

Dragonrage

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone managed to get the character#_small.tga to work?

I can get the large ones to work, but not the smalls. Help plz?
As I said on one of the first pages they work fine. Did you rename them from InfFace.##.brres to InfFace##.brres? Or don't they get created at all?

IC3R

Smash Lord
I went through the files, and I only found a single BRRES file that had the . problem. I renamed it as I should have, but......

Still no small portraits. Does each BRRES count for a different portrait (because I haven't checked all of mine; I'm pressed for time)?

Dragonrage

Smash Apprentice
I went through the files, and I only found a single BRRES file that had the . problem. I renamed it as I should have, but......

Still no small portraits. Does each BRRES count for a different portrait (because I haven't checked all of mine; I'm pressed for time)?
Every brres in the portrite folder contains the portrait for one costume. Which version of File Replacement code are you using? Did you copy the whole directory as in info/portrite?

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Yeah you have to make sure you do that and you have to make sure that it goes through CSPTools. Because the .bress should be 1 per every picture you have but it only recognizes the first costume and only for certain characters, Mario is a key exception. However, you can rename them appropriately.

Dragonrage

Smash Apprentice
Yeah you have to make sure you do that and you have to make sure that it goes through CSPTools. Because the .bress should be 1 per every picture you have but it only recognizes the first costume and only for certain characters, Mario is a key exception. However, you can rename them appropriately.
The reason why it only recognizes the first costume is because you only have the original file for those portraits.

Download this http://www.mediafire.com/?molzkfnnmwm (should have the original brres for every custome) move everything in the InfFace folder to your neededfiles folder and run step1 again. After that step2 should recognize every _small.tga. The rar file also contains an updated cupash_step2.tpl so it will name the brres and the common5.pac correctly.

Gords

Smash Champion
ok i just gave it a go. didnt work. i ran step_1 and it extracted the files ok. allthough it only shows 1 small portrait for each character, but what you dragon just mentioned will probably fix that.
my problem i think is that after step_2 there is not any .brres files in the info directory. what maybe the problem and how can i fix it?

also i have PAL wii but use NTSC brawl. does this matter?
i know the CSPTools guide mentioned something about PAL wii regarding the common_en5 file.

Dragonrage

Smash Apprentice
ok i just gave it a go. didnt work. i ran step_1 and it extracted the files ok. allthough it only shows 1 small portrait for each character, but what you dragon just mentioned will probably fix that.
my problem i think is that after step_2 there is not any .brres files in the info directory. what maybe the problem and how can i fix it?

also i have PAL wii but use NTSC brawl. does this matter?
i know the CSPTools guide mentioned something about PAL wii regarding the common_en5 file.
First off it doesn't matter what region your Wii is, only the disc matters. I've been running NTSC brawl on PAL wii for ages and never had any problem regarding codes.

Did you run step2 before adding the brres from my download? ASH only creates battle portraits if you had the original brres for it when you ran step1. So let's say you want to edit mario1_small you would need to have InfFace001 for that to work.

So just move all the brres from my download to your neededfiles folder and run step1. This should hopefully fiix the problem.

Sukai

Smash Champion
Okay, this is pissing me off.
I extracted, step 1 and all that, I edited the tga files.
Now when I hit up step 2, by the second folder, it crashes.
I'm editing a Marth texture, I did it all, set the indexed color to the right one--below 240.
Now I go to step 2_create, it loads up "09MarthEyeIris", I do the y or n thing, it passes, on the second folder "01Mar01", after I press y, it crashes, it does terminates the runtime.
I tested it to see if I did something wrong, so I backed up my edits and extracted the pac file again, I went to step 2 (create) without any edits and the same thing happened.
I checked and compared names, they are both the same between the original unedited tgas and the ones I edited.
Apparently, tplsplitter is what crashes, as it pops up as the program that "isn't responding" by Vista's error messages.
Help?

It keeps saying something about 'texconv not being an internal or external command.
This is frustrating.

Dragonrage

Smash Apprentice
Wait, what? ASH includes non +2 or +1 textures without asking in the recent versions. It appears your version is way outdated. Get the final version of ASH (2.2 as of 1st Feb 09) here http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FGNPSAPM and try again.

Edit: Seeing how tplsplitter causes the issues it could also be one of those GIMP issues, since ASH was made to work with photoshop. I think someone on the kittycorp forums made a fix for that certain problem. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit2: By the time I edited my post to say final version instead of latest el_refugio posted a new version, talk about irony lol. So download this instead http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OW1W6EG3. The compression process is way faster with this version.

Sukai

Smash Champion
Okay, fate had decided that making textures is not my calling.
I downloaded the newer version. I extracted Marth's pac file, and replaced the files with my edits.
Now here's the funny part. It didn't crash upon making the pcs/pac files, but it did something just as bad.
Just like last time, "09MarthEyeIris" made it through, no worries, but EVERYTHING ELSE, including some textures that I left intact, were deemed as "not valid" and therefore ignored. So basically, Marth's iris was going to have a jade green shade, or so I thought, but when I took another look at the output files, I saw that I only made another pac file, there was no "_new.pcs".
Yeah, making textures is not for me, so I'd like to request a Marth texture of Suzaku Kururugi from Code Geass.
Thanks.

el_refugio

Smash Apprentice
illinialex24:
Please, remove ASH and CUPASH in the first page.
They contain ilegal software and data, and as the creator I don't want my programs to be shared like this.
If you want to post ntcompress, texconv, PAC/PCS and other ilegal files it's not my problem, but please do it separately.

Also, your guide is wrong. You are not forced to use 72 colours as maximum in ASH or CUPASH. In most of cases, you can use 240 or 256 colours, if it needs a smaller palette then ASH will tell you the maximum of colours you can use in that texture.

IC3R

Smash Lord
This is beginning to frustrate me. I'm going to post some ERROR windows in a minute or so.

Code:
*** mario
found mem
total alloc: 153507
total freed: 153507
created tpl mario5.tpl

Texture: mario5.TEX0
Palette: mario5.PLT0
Palette detected.
Start: 20
End: 0

This application has requesterd the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.
This is beginning to piss me off :mad:

Gords

Smash Champion
oik dragonrage, i put all your files fr your download to the neededfiles folder, and it created a .brres file in the info directory.

however this time it didnt create a common5_en.pac file, it didnt even create a system folder in the new files directory.

what could be happening here.

Dragonrage

Smash Apprentice
oik dragonrage, i put all your files fr your download to the neededfiles folder, and it created a .brres file in the info directory.

however this time it didnt create a common5_en.pac file, it didnt even create a system folder in the new files directory.

what could be happening here.
Huh? That's strange. Even if you have no edited _big files in the newfiles folder it should still create a common5.pac. Do you still have the original common5_en.pac in the neededfiles folder? It's important that it still has the _en suffix.

IC3R

Smash Lord
Hm, what exactly are you trying to do? I can't really tell from the error message. Editing _small files, _big files or both? And are you using GIMP?
I've run "step1_extract" successfully.
I've taken the TGA files extracted from the original "common5_en" file, editing them to have my custom portraits, both _big and _small, all of which are properly Indexed. I save the new TGAs into my "newfiles" folder, and then I run "step2_create", and it doesn't even make it past the first CSP, "mario5_big". It worked just fine before, but now it's just being difficult.

And yes, I'm using GIMP; Photoshop requires money that I don't have.

I just want my portraits to work again T______T

Dragonrage

Smash Apprentice
I've run "step1_extract" successfully.
I've taken the TGA files extracted from the original "common5_en" file, editing them to have my custom portraits, both _big and _small, all of which are properly Indexed. I save the new TGAs into my "newfiles" folder, and then I run "step2_create", and it doesn't even make it past the first CSP, "mario5_big". It worked just fine before, but now it's just being difficult.

And yes, I'm using GIMP; Photoshop requires money that I don't have.

I just want my portraits to work again T______T
So it doesn't work anymore after adding the new brres files to the neededfiles folder oO?
I have to go now but I'll look into this later so don't worry.

IC3R

Smash Lord
I was watching the extraction process and I noticed it said:

Code:
Cannot find the file specified.
Unable to locate C:/Users/<my name>/Documents/Texture Stuffz/CSP Tools/CSP Tools/CUPASH-Mod/neededfiles/002.pac
You think that may have something to do with it?

(I'm re-downloading everything and starting from the beginning~)

EDIT :: Still no luck getting "_small.tga"s to work.

RoyMaster4

Smash Apprentice
Question: Does this work with Item/AT/Pokeball textures? If not, what can I use to make those textures? Also, what do I use to make stage textures?

RoyMaster4

Smash Apprentice
Yeah they are. Try PMing someone on Kitty Corp. Vyse on Picano (on Kitty Corp only, this Vyse is different) both don't know stage textures.
I PM'd Marvin since he made a couple ATs to see if he knows how to make items.
Maybe you can PM someone too, if we do enough, we're bound to get some info.

Gords

Smash Champion
ok i am using the new CUPASH that dragonrage posted the link for. it now gives me a system folder however at the start of step 2 it says

"big toonlink6 does not have an indexed palette.
It will be ignored.
press any key to continue."

i continue and it says the same ting for small toonlink6.

what does it mean by an indexed pallette?

IC3R

Smash Lord
ok i am using the new CUPASH that dragonrage posted the link for. it now gives me a system folder however at the start of step 2 it says

"big toonlink6 does not have an indexed palette.
It will be ignored.
press any key to continue."

i continue and it says the same ting for small toonlink6.

what does it mean by an indexed pallette?
You're using GIMP, I'm assuming?
If that's the case, go to Image > Mode > Indexed, and then set the Number of Colors to 72 (it should say 255 when you first open it).

That should work.

Dragonrage

Smash Apprentice
Did you get it to work IC3R? If not you could try making a thread in the kitty corp help forum describing your situation. We have a lot of knowlegdable and experienced texture hackers there who are always willing to help out. Thing is the whole CSP and battle portrait process always worked fine for me and the issue could very well be GIMP related (which I don't have any experience with) so you're better off asking for help there.

el_refugio

Smash Apprentice
illinialex24:
Please, remove ASH and CUPASH in the first page.
They contain ilegal software and data, and as the creator I don't want my programs to be shared like this.
If you want to post ntcompress, texconv, PAC/PCS and other ilegal files it's not my problem, but please do it separately.

Also, your guide is wrong. You are not forced to use 72 colours as maximum in ASH or CUPASH. In most of cases, you can use 240 or 256 colours, if it needs a smaller palette then ASH will tell you the maximum of colours you can use in that texture.
I'm working on a stage editor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom