• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BBR Recommended Rule List v2.0 & General Ruleset Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Vyse said:
Sup guys,

Due to a rising number of threads in Brawl Tactical Discussion relating specifically to the ruleset, I've decided it would be best if this thread existed here in Tactical rather than Tournament Discussion.

All threads existing now, and made in the future relating to rule clarifications/proposals will now be closed and directed to here.

Discuss away!
The ruleset can be found here:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=230481

The voting on the stages was based off of discussion, with the options being Starter, Counterpick, Banned, or to not vote at all. To be solidified as a Starter, Counterpick, or Banned stage, a stage needed to have at least 2/3rds majority (66.67%). If a stage did not, it would be split into two categories and the TO using the rule list would have to choose which category he prefered it to be in. No stage had equal or even close to equal votes for all three categories at once.

All stages were voted on with the intent of every ruleset using the stage striking system.

The layout below is listed in this manner:

Stage: Starter - Counterpick - Banned

Voting Changes:
Castle Siege: 14-16-1 >>> 5-9-0
Corneria: 1-27-9 >>> 0-3-15
Delfino 10-12-0 >>> 6-20-0
Distant Planet 0-20-10 >>> 0-15-11
Green Greens 0-10-11 >>> 0-6-9
Green Hill Zone 0-17-3 >>> 0-3-19
Halberd: 18-16-0 >>> 18-16-0
Luigi's Mansion: 0-30-8 >>> 0-11-8
Mario Circuit: 0-14-11 >>> 0-5-19
Onett 0-10-12 >>> 0-3-14
Pirate Ship: 2-18-4 >>> 0-15-3
Pokémon Stadium 2 2-21-2 >>> 0-24-11
Port Town Aero Dive 0-13-15* >>> 0-12-23
Shadow Moses: 0-6-29 >>> 1-1-20
Skyworld 0-12-8 >>> 0-0-16
Yoshi's Island (Pipes) 0-15-6 >>> 0-10-19
Norfair: 1-27-0 >>> 0-16-10

Old vote tallies (stages that were not revoted on)
Battlefield: 47-0-1
Big Blue 0-3-17
Bridge of Eldin 0-2-25
Brinstar 1-20-0
Final Destination: 26-2-1
Flat Zone 2: 1-1-22
Frigate Orpheon: 1-29-0
Hanenbow 0-5-16
Hyrule Temple: 0-0-16
Jungle Japes 0-14-1
Lylat Cruise 16-9-0
Mario Bros: 2-0-22
Mushroomy Kingdom II 0-0-21
Mushroomy Kingdom I 0-0-19
New Pork City: 2-1-20
Pokémon Stadium 1: 16-14-2
Pictochat 0-25-9
Rumble Falls 0-3-21
Rainbow Cruise: 0-30-1
Spear Pillar: 1-0-31
Smashville: 24-0-1
The Summit 0-2-20
Wario Ware: 0-2-33
Yoshi's Island (Wii): 37-0-0
75m 2-2-24

------------------------------

Stages become Starter stages when it is agreed by a 2/3 majority in the SBR that each stage is overall a fair stage with only minimal advantages and disadvantages given that has an overall low number of hazards, ineffective hazards, or basic hazards that can be predicted and implemented into a strategy.

Stages become Counterpick stages when it is agreed by a 2/3 majority in the SBR that they are not an overall fair stage in that they give specific advantages and disadvantages to certain types of characters, so much so that it can influence the match directly. Or, that the stage has hazards that disrupt play to such an extent that it cannot be assumed the player can avoid them with minimal effort or the hazards have such incredible damage and knockback that they can directly influence the outcome of a match.

Stages become Banned stages when it is agreed by a 2/3 majority in the SBR that they are not a fair or competitive stage at all, in that certain characters can easily have a near 100% win rate against others at top level play or that a large majority of the cast cannot actively be played on this stage, or that the stage simply requires such a radical change in gameplay that players cannot be reasonably expected to adapt (such as the Cave of Immortality in Hyrule Temple). Hazards can also cause a stage to be banned if they are random in nature and thus directly disrupting gameplay on a consistent basis, or if they are so powerful and/or unavoidable that they directly determine the outcome of a match on a consistent basis.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
So I take it the one person to vote Battlefield/SV banned and SP neutral was just a joke, right?

In any case, too bad to see Corneria banned and losing Sonic's homefield advantage wheee...

Still wanna see Japes and/or Cruise banned though, those two one guys who voted to ban had the right idea but meh /bias...

*Wonders why two less people voted concerning MKII than MKI.*

... Maybe I should be a bit more serious, but then I feel that if I want to talk stage legalty I should find the appropriate thread elsewhere...

These I can ask though:

1. Why is the old ruleset linked?

2. I thought I was suppose to be expecting the new ruleset by June/July. Why so early?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
So I take it the one person to vote Battlefield/SV banned and SP neutral was just a joke, right?

In any case, too bad to see Corneria banned and losing Sonic's homefield advantage wheee...

Still wanna see Japes and/or Cruise banned though, those two one guys who voted to ban had the right idea but meh /bias...

... Maybe I should be a bit more serious, but then I feel that if I want to talk stage legalty I should find the appropriate thread elsewhere...

These I can ask though:

2. I thought I was suppose to be expecting the new ruleset by June/July. Why so early?
Yes, those votes were jokes.

1. That was an accident.

2. Because we finished? :p

Allied

Smash Master

These I can ask though:

they would never ban japes or cruise
they are good maps anyway

however i would like to see coneria a counterpick tho
oh well.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I really hate those stages, it was a joke.

Though I wouldn't be too sad if they got banned.

bobson

Smash Lord
What the hell is wrong with Distant Planet that it would even be considered for a ban?

WaterTails

Smash Lord
This might just be my Corneria fanboy coming out, but why was there such a big change there?
Corneria: 1-27-9 (~72% counterpick) >>> 0-3-15 (~17% counterpick)
Also, unless I was checking the wrong thread, stalling was banned, yet Planking wasn't. Does that still apply in the 2.0 set?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
This might just be my Corneria fanboy coming out, but why was there such a big change there?

Also, unless I was checking the wrong thread, stalling was banned, yet Planking wasn't. Does that still apply in the 2.0 set?
Correct. We discussed it though.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Wouldn't that be your problem if you decided to take the risk of hitting your opponent to the blastzone, he somehow reads your mind, and then pushes you to said blastzone for the kill...?

...Then again this isn't the thread to discuss stage legalty, but/and I just wanted to make a detailed post so I couldn't be infracted for trolling/spamming/one-liner and wirte:

IT'S A TRAP!

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
Green greens, norfair, and mansion need to be banned forever.
edit and port town and a bunch of other crap. Why move delfino to soley counter?

Cyan_

Smash Lord
Nooo, Corneria =[=[=[

Anyways, I still like the rule set.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Much better stage list this time around. No arguments, really.

I am wondering why Ganon's sideb wasn't mentioned though.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
HECK YA

Pirate Ship still CP, and even got one less vote for ban.

Too bad about Corneria. I honestly don't think it's bannable as much as it's a gay stage, but w/e.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
I know you're just following the guidelines set but perhaps it would be reasonable to move Delfino into the Starter/Counter category, for the sake of nine-stage stage striking. Nine-stage striking probably isn't that common but... three-stage striking? Seriously? lol

Stages are still quite horrible, but it's a big improvement.
johnsjohnsjohnsjohnsjohnsjohnsjohnsjohnsjohnsjohnsjohnsjohnsjohnsjohnsjohnsjohnsjohnsjohns

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Ganon's sideb wasn't mentioned until now because the game treats claw and ganon's sideb separately. The rule was simply a clarification of the game's funky ruleset, so that things like port priority weren't actually detirmining the outcome of a game. Panda explained this to me. I'm assuming that ganon was simply a logical followup.

Also, why the hell did EVERY counter stage move closer to a ban? What in the world is the logic that norfair needs ANY ban votes? "Because it's janky" is a superlame argument.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Hanenbow for doubles sounds fun. xD

Sliq

Smash Master
Also, why the hell did EVERY counter stage move closer to a ban? What in the world is the logic that norfair needs ANY ban votes? "Because it's janky" is a superlame argument.
"Because it's janky" is apparently an acceptable, quantifiable reason to ban a stage now.

thunddr

Smash Rookie
I quote:

In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.
Doesn't 1+2+2+1 add up to 6? haha

Probably want to change that to 1-2-1 format.

EDIT: Unless you meant teams 1, 2, 2, 1. Please make that distinction clear.

-thunddr

Dyyne

Smash Ace
It is teams 1,2,2,1 what else could it mean lol?

Out of curiosity, why does each stage have a different number of total votes on it? (for example, only 14 people voted on castle siege, while other stages are in the thirties)

fkacyan

Smash Hero
My disagreements with the stage list have been made a hundred times over.

Well, we're making progress. Just Japes and Pirate Ship left to go, though I'd like to see Pictochat eat the dust as well.

I've yet to ever see anybody play on PS2, lol.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Don't we get to see the SBR's reasoning?

I want to know why Skyworld was unanimous in banning. And what's wrong with Norfair.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Don't we get to see the SBR's reasoning?
We've been taking a lot of ****, why stop now?

Edit: ^^ Lol I hope this post is sarcastic, because by that logic we should keep Corneria legal because Ike rox your sox on that stage.

TheFast

Smash Lord
Change "bowsers klaw" to include Dedede and Kirbies suck (only if they dont pop out) and Gannons side-b

Also I killed somebody with Kirby's up-b once. We both died and he got the win. It was judge as "It was not a sucidal move" so he got the win. I dont agree with this. We both died at the same time, and I did the move that killed us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom