• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GIGaBrawl - and Melee! - July 25th and 26th - Lawrence, Kansas - VENUE CHANGED!

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend

UPDATE:

stuff

Where
- Game Nut
- 844 Massachusetts St, Lawrence, KS‎

A is where the venue is (my A, not google maps A)
B is the parking garage you can park, its free for 2 hours, or money for longer. either pay or move your car every 2 hours

When & What

Saturday, July 25th
- Check in starts at 10 AM for Brawl
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl Singles Pools starts at 11 AM
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl Team Brackets start when pools are done.
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl Singles Brackets start when Team Brackets are done (or earlier depending on time)
- doors close at 9

Sunday, July 26th
- Check in starts at 12PM for Melee
- Super Smash Bros. Melee Singles Pools starts at 1 PM
- Super Smash Bros. Melee Team Brackets start when pools are done.
- Super Smash Bros. Melee Singles Brackets start when Team Brackets are done (or earlier depending on time)
- doors close at 7

Entry Fees

- $10 for Singles (Melee and Brawl)
- $10 for Doubles (per person) (Melee and Brawl)
- $10 Venue Fee

Rules for Brawl
-3 Stock
- 8 minute timer

-Items are set to "off" and "none"

-All sets will be best of 3 matches. The Finals (Losers/Winners/Grand) will be best of 5.

-In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

-No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

-In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.

-If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.

-Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.

-If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.

-You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

-Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
Rules for Doubles:

-Life Stealing is allowed

-Team attack ON

-Stalling is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs most end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):

1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
2a. the stages will be striked as follows. the first person will ban one stage, then the other will ban 2, then the first will ban 2, then the second person will ban one.
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches

*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

Stage Striking: Players take turns striking stages from the starter list until only one remains; these stages are not banned and can be counterpicked later in the set.

Double-blind pick: This means that all participating players must tell a judge the character they will use for that game. Each player is required to use that character in the game.

Starter:

-Battlefield
-Final Destination
-Smashville
-Yoshi's Island
-Pokémon Stadium 1
-Halberd
-Lylat Cruise

Counter:

-Brinstar
-Delfino Plaza
-Frigate Orpheon
-Jungle Japes
-Pictochat
-Pirate Ship
-Pokémon Stadium 2
-Rainbow Cruise
-Norfair
-Castle Siegee

---------------------------------------------------------------

Rules for Melee:

Items off.
Ties are broken by remaining lives, then %. If both criteria are tied, then the Sudden Death match will be played out.
First stage is random from the Neutral stages listed below.
Each player is allowed to reset the random stage once; this forces a new random stage to be picked.
The loser of the first match will announce a new stage to play on for the next game. The winner will then be allowed to switch characters, followed by the loser. Apply the same logic for the third match (and fourthfifth when applicable) if there is one. (Advanced Slob Picks)
No stage may be used twice in a single set if the counter-picking player has already won on that stage, unless the opponent agrees to use the stage again. (Dave's Stupid Rule)
Double Blind character pick can be called at anytime before the first game of a set starts, and only apply to the first game.
Each person (or team) may choose one counter-pick stage to be disabled for the entire set at the START OF THE SET, after characters have been chosen but before the random stage has been picked.
Controller Mods, Glitches (IC Freeze Glitch, Mewtwo Soul Stunner, etc), and tactics used to stall a match (wall-bombing, rising pound), are banned.
For doubles Team Attack will be ON, life stealing allowed.

Stage List

Neutrals

- Battlefield
- Final Destination
- Yoshi's Story
- Pokemon Stadium
- Dreamland 64
- Fountain of Dreams (Singles only)

Counterpicks

- Pokefloats
- Jungle Japes
- Kongo Jungle 64
- Mute City
- Rainbow Cruise
- Brinstar
- Green Greens
- Corneria

Banned

- Everything else

----------------------------------------------------------------
Crews??????
If there is enough support we will do brawl crews, and perhaps melee crews.

--------------------------------------------------------

Contact Info:
--------
List of atendees:

Alright guys time for the third edition of GIGaBrawl! There will also be Melee, so no johns to you people out there who play melee! This is a circuit event for brawl for the MW:W. This edition will take place at the game nut, a game store in down town lawrence. it boasts an upstairs floor with 12 big screen tvs and no lag! space will be an issue however, and if the owner doesnt like the number we may have to have some people wait outside

(913) 485-0664
drostealth@juno.com

Perfect Duck"
(913) 206-4134

Fino
913-787-5282

on a final note.......
GET HYPED!

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
Reserved in case i need it.

also sticky plz

HOUSING!

this is a big problem for us, as KC isnt good at housing. we are working hard on options, and ill get some hotels up as a last resort. We cannot sleep at the venue, and furthermore cant stay much past 10. also for people WAY OOS we may be able to provide some financial assistance.

this is a call out for housing to the people of KC. if ANYONE can house PLEASE say so. no matter which game you play, i ask that you set aside the differences we have here so that we can get as many people as we can to come. lets get this done.

xxxxxnormansothxxxxx

Smash Rookie
ive never been to a tournament, so how exactly does it work? do i sign up online, or do i just go and sign up on site? thanks

xxxxxnormansothxxxxx

Smash Rookie
aight cool. and i live in columbia, mo. (by jeff city in case you don't know) and i'm kinda excited for this one because i might finally be able to make it to a convenient location for a melee tournament. (brawls just not my thing lol. its still good, but it's a little slow for me)

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
This daddy is not playing smash on father's day.
Oh shi-

I didn't realize this was on Father's day until now.

Stealth, is there anyway you can reschedule this? Hopefully not to the weekend after. I'll be leaving for Brazil then.

Jakebudden

Smash Ace
Um, on first look this could be bad for Iowa. I think I have a baseball tournament that weekend.... and if I can't go that takes away half of Iowa's transportation. I'll look into the date.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Father's Day is a Hallmark holiday; it's odd that it would actually be inconvenient for people. Then again, I don't really have patience for more holidays in a year than I can count on one hand.

Anyway, my perpetual claim is that this tournament needs more Distant Planet. I checked out InfernoRage's claim that Meta Knight can kill from 0% with Shuttle Loop against opponents on the far left leaf, and I'm pretty sure it's false (tested against Jigglypuff in training mode, aerial reverse Shuttle Loop came the closest but still was a good deal from killing). You guys are taking all of my counterpicks! Well, I'll be back in Kansas City in a week; perhaps me playing the "losing" side of whatever matchups are allegedly awful there is what's required to be convincing (matchups that are awful on every stage need not apply).

Also, this is mostly just idle curiosity since I don't really care about melee, but why not make DK64 a starter in melee and use stage striking?

Nicole

Smash Champion
Hey Stealth, I'm going to join the date johners and john about the date! I've got a wedding to go to and unfortunately I don't think I can get the bride to reschedule >_<

Anyways, if you keep Jun 20 - 21 as the date, could you maybe make Melee be on the 20th and Brawl be on the 21st so I don't have to miss brawl?

I figured this was a silly request because I am one person and I suck, but since other people don't like the date also, then maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to switch it after all!

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
**** i just got everything done too. if it really needs to be reschuled ill do it, but **** lol. its going to be hard to do :/

there is no gaurantee that i can get the date changed, the venue could be held on dataes around it, and i cant get it done till next week cause i am too far from school/have to work too soon.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
**** i just got everything done too. if it really needs to be reschuled ill do it, but **** lol. its going to be hard to do :/

there is no gaurantee that i can get the date changed, the venue could be held on dataes around it, and i cant get it done till next week cause i am too far from school/have to work too soon.
This is what you and Duck get for not planning this sooner lol

Jakebudden

Smash Ace
I did check and the baseball tournament is on the 20th. So maybe one other car from Iowa can go? But no me most likely means Iowa is a no go.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
aight cool. and i live in columbia, mo. (by jeff city in case you don't know) and i'm kinda excited for this one because i might finally be able to make it to a convenient location for a melee tournament. (brawls just not my thing lol. its still good, but it's a little slow for me)
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=230134

i'll go to this for melee, since i've nothing else to do over the summer. :3

anyone interested in a brawl+ side tourney? :o

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
I did check and the baseball tournament is on the 20th. So maybe one other car from Iowa can go? But no me most likely means Iowa is a no go.
Yep if Razor can't make it chances are IA may not show up since he's always the one who takes us, unless Mduo drives again but that's only like 4 of us T.T

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
hence why i am trying to reschedule it. im sorry there is a limit to howfast i can do this due to i need to tell 2 people, and one i have to get approval from before i can talk to the other. earliest we will know is next monday.

Cook

Smash Master
I like how WHOBO happened on Easter weekend and no one seemed to care, but this being on FATHER'S DAY is a problem. Funny.

Cook

Smash Master
But is there any disputing the stage list or is it set in stone? Because I really want Green Greens and Mansion...

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
of course you do you play olimar. but with the new SBR rules i think that the circuit is going to follow them. i have not heard the end of fino about the stage list lol

Cook

Smash Master
Well, they are both Counter/Banned stages. So is Norfair, and you have that allowed.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
if it comes down to it i wouldnt mind if it was banned (even though its my best stage) but ultimately its up to cameron

honestly though, learn to play on other stages instead of relying on what fino calls "auto win" stages.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
I like how WHOBO happened on Easter weekend and no one seemed to care, but this being on FATHER'S DAY is a problem. Funny.
Not all Smashers are very religious.

Most have a father to celebrate his day with.

Cook

Smash Master
I DO play on other stages. I almost never pick Mansion and Green Greens gets banned against me a lot, so I don't get to play there often. So I don't counterpick "auto win" stages very often and I still win enough. I can PLAY most stages, I just like having big stage lists. Anyway, I think TO gets final say on stage list. You don't have to follow the Circuit's list, it's just recommended (I think). Expect the IA tourney to have a CRAZY stage list.

Top Bottom