• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks

Realmz

Smash Apprentice
I just got it today, too. I'm kind of disa-

JK. Its absolutely amazing. I've heard of people complaining about the
pan flute
being hard to get right, and the train being tedious though, which I don't agree with so far.

Funny how reviewers are mostly giving it lower scores than PH, yet they've almost all admitted to it being superior to PH. Except gameinformer, which I'm losing faith in for thinking PH was actually better than ST simply because of the train and
doing things before each dungeon
, which is actually a plus IMO.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Consider this a warning: Even in this thread, all Spirit Tracks spoilers MUST be put in spoiler tags (
[\SPOILER] - change the back slash to a forward slash). Failure to comply with this will result in a minor spam infraction on the first offense and a major spam infraction for all following offenses. The only people exempt from this rule are people who Spire and I don't recognize as regular posters here, and even then, those people will receive warnings for their first offense and infractions for following offenses.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Oh, oops! That wasn't meant to be directed towards you at all, Realmz. I meant spoilers as in storyline type spoilers. Talking about what kind of gameplay the game has is perfectly acceptable because, well, it's a game x_x

The Pan Flute and doing stuff before dungeons are perfectly acceptable cuz nearly every Zelda game has some musical-related thing and has you do stuff before dungeons haha.

Realmz

Smash Apprentice
Oh, oops! That wasn't meant to be directed towards you at all, Realmz. I meant spoilers as in storyline type spoilers. Talking about what kind of gameplay the game has is perfectly acceptable because, well, it's a game x_x

The Pan Flute and doing stuff before dungeons are perfectly acceptable cuz nearly every Zelda game has some musical-related thing and has you do stuff before dungeons haha.
Oh, okay. Sorry for assuming too quickly XD Are you gonna get ST, or have you already?

Spire

III
BRoomer
I need to have intense ST discussion with all of you guys. Get the game!

EDIT: I beat the game last night. With OoT and MM taking my top two favorite Zelda game spots, ST follows in 3rd. It's a necessary game to play. If it utilized the same gameplay that OoT/MM had, it would easily be my favorite game in the series. The story was fantastic and triumphed over OoT tenfold.

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
This game looks like a huge improvement over PH, to me at least.

I loved PH but the Temple of the ocean king made it literally unplayable to me. From what I've heard the changes to that whole section have me looking forward to the game a lot.

rhan

Smash Hero
Does it have a multiplayer side game? That's the big reason why I loved Phantom Hourglass.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Does it have a multiplayer side game? That's the big reason why I loved Phantom Hourglass.
Yes, and while I haven't played it, it looks more robust than PH's. You can also trade collection items with friends.

I love that they're intelligently integrating multiplayer more and more into Zelda. First FS, FSA, PH, and now ST. I hope they do the same for Zelda Wii, but on a larger scale than ever imagined before.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Not gonna buy it? Come on, support Ninty for their work.
I concur. Nintendo did a great job on this game, and they should be encouraged for it, not discouraged.

Seriously, I love Spirit Tracks. I've been seriously lacking time, but I've been playing it every spare moment I have, and it's impressed me a lot. The gameplay leaves a little bit to be desired, but there's nothing inherently wrong with it, it's just a little easy; and the benefits of the other factors, such as music and storyline, are great enough that it doesn't hinder my enjoyment of the game. They've really stepped it up from Phantom Hourglass. (Plus, my friend, who is nearly done with the game, tells me that there is a rather good difficulty curve.)

I'm just ashamed that I was initially close-minded about the train idea, as well as glad that I came around in time to get the game on release date.

I do hope, however, that they don't utilize the train mechanic in another game. If they use it again, it'll lose its uniqueness and the new game, as well as Spirit Tracks, will suffer because of it.

I do think the train was the right move, though. It feels very original overall, and I don't find the train rides to be boring. Sure, they're not entirely eventful, but the music is amazing and it's a pretty cool method of traveling.

I just wish I could find the soundtrack somewhere. Thus far the best thing I've found is YouTube videos of each individual track and download links for the mp3s in each video, but that would take a pretty long time, so if anyone knows where to find it, let me know.

Realmz

Smash Apprentice
I concur. Nintendo did a great job on this game, and they should be encouraged for it, not discouraged.

Seriously, I love Spirit Tracks. I've been seriously lacking time, but I've been playing it every spare moment I have, and it's impressed me a lot. The gameplay leaves a little bit to be desired, but there's nothing inherently wrong with it, it's just a little easy; and the benefits of the other factors, such as music and storyline, are great enough that it doesn't hinder my enjoyment of the game. They've really stepped it up from Phantom Hourglass. (Plus, my friend, who is nearly done with the game, tells me that there is a rather good difficulty curve.)

I'm just ashamed that I was initially close-minded about the train idea, as well as glad that I came around in time to get the game on release date.

I do hope, however, that they don't utilize the train mechanic in another game. If they use it again, it'll lose its uniqueness and the new game, as well as Spirit Tracks, will suffer because of it.

I do think the train was the right move, though. It feels very original overall, and I don't find the train rides to be boring. Sure, they're not entirely eventful, but the music is amazing and it's a pretty cool method of traveling.

I just wish I could find the soundtrack somewhere. Thus far the best thing I've found is YouTube videos of each individual track and download links for the mp3s in each video, but that would take a pretty long time, so if anyone knows where to find it, let me know.
You sound like you're still pretty early-in on the game? Give it some more time, the difficulty picks up as your friend said. Gameplay will get better. The beginning is made to suck you into the adventure, and then it gives you the real deal.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
You sound like you're still pretty early-in on the game? Give it some more time, the difficulty picks up as your friend said. Gameplay will get better. The beginning is made to suck you into the adventure, and then it gives you the real deal.
Yeah, I'm headed off to the second dungeon now (
I just got stuck in the snowstorm and had to go back to the village to figure out how to fix it, and I saved and quit there
). I imagine the gameplay will improve, of course, and haven't made my final judgment yet anyways.

Either way, I'm in love with the game already.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Only thing I dislike about the game is playing the locomo songs...Especially the 5th one :mad:. Im stuck trying to get it. Is it timing? Im doing the notes fine >_>. Anyone have tips on that?

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Yeah, I'm headed off to the second dungeon now (
I just got stuck in the snowstorm and had to go back to the village to figure out how to fix it, and I saved and quit there
). I imagine the gameplay will improve, of course, and haven't made my final judgment yet anyways.

Either way, I'm in love with the game already.
It definitely gets harder past that.
The first dungeon was extremely easy and the 2nd was also fairly easy. Past that however, it starts to pick up.

Anyway, I'm having a lot of fun trying to completely beat the game. Right now I'm trying to collect every stamp in order by realm.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Only thing I dislike about the game is playing the locomo songs...Especially the 5th one :mad:. Im stuck trying to get it. Is it timing? Im doing the notes fine >_>. Anyone have tips on that?
I never once had trouble playing the Locomo songs. I'm guessing that you're on one of those where you have to skip a note or two, right? Well, say you have to play . That would require you skipping over twice to get to and back to . You're going to have a total of three breaths to blow. The first must sustain through , then jump to , blow, jump back, and hit that last . You can practice playing the flute whenever you want, so I'd advise doing so.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Argh, I just beat the boss of the third dungeon, and literally during the dying cutscene for the boss, my DS died.

I saved like, early to mid-dungeon.

But, I really love the
Whip
. Also, does the boss of the third dungeon remind anyone else of
a mix between Flaahgra (from Metroid Prime) and Arghus (from ALttP)
?

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Am I the only person who found
the 2nd boss harder then the 3rd?

The 2nd took around 4-5 turns for me to kill but the 3rd boss I killed within 3 hits in the eye.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
I beat ST today :).
Zelda calls upon Tetra at the end. ;( The ending was so cool and kinda challenging. (Protecting zelda from boulders while she charged up was kinda hard)
I love this game.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Argh, I just beat the boss of the third dungeon, and literally during the dying cutscene for the boss, my DS died.

I saved like, early to mid-dungeon.

But, I really love the
Whip
. Also, does the boss of the third dungeon remind anyone else of
a mix between Flaahgra (from Metroid Prime) and Arghus (from ALttP)
?
It reminded me so much more of some Super Mario bosses, especially from Galaxy.

The 2nd took around 4-5 turns for me to kill but the 3rd boss I killed within 3 hits in the eye.
No.
I beat ST today :).
Zelda calls upon Tetra at the end. ;( The ending was so cool and kinda challenging. (Protecting zelda from boulders while she charged up was kinda hard)
I love this game.
Major spoilers!!
When Zelda asked you what you were going to do with your life, did you answer: Engineer, Warrior, or Dunno? I picked Engineer. I think it has a different effect on the ending sequence, because I was shown Zelda writing some letters in her office, then Link's train whistle can be heard as he pulls up to the castle outside so she runs to the window and waves and such. I wonder what happens if you choose Warrior or Dunno?

Mewter

Smash Master
What's a Dunno? Howdy har har.
Anyways, I was reading some of the Youtube comments, and it appears that it does have some sort of effect. Picking Warrior leads to a cut-scene with the sounds of swords clashing or something along those lines.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974

No, you aren't. I would agree.

The
3rd boss was still fairly difficult and actually appeared to have some thought put into it, unlike all but the final boss in Phantom Hourglass, but I didn't have to worry about dying once; whereas I actually had to use the Song of Healing on the 2nd boss.

S

smash brawl player 99021

Alright kiddo's, here's a good question for you all. I'm wondering whether I should ask for this game for X-Mas or not. I've heard good stuff about it...but I'm not sure. I loved PH, minus the fact that you had to pile through the same Temple every level.

So what I'm asking you is...
Can someone list me the "Pros and Cons" of the game? And if it's worth buying?

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
It reminded me so much more of some Super Mario bosses, especially from Galaxy.

No.

Major spoilers!!
When Zelda asked you what you were going to do with your life, did you answer: Engineer, Warrior, or Dunno? I picked Engineer. I think it has a different effect on the ending sequence, because I was shown Zelda writing some letters in her office, then Link's train whistle can be heard as he pulls up to the castle outside so she runs to the window and waves and such. I wonder what happens if you choose Warrior or Dunno?
Spoilers!
I picked Warrior. And I heard sword slashes and Link yelling aahhh. Getting owned by someone probably Alfonzo XD. I dunno what happens when u select dunno :p.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Alright kiddo's, here's a good question for you all. I'm wondering whether I should ask for this game for X-Mas or not. I've heard good stuff about it...but I'm not sure. I loved PH, minus the fact that you had to pile through the same Temple every level.

So what I'm asking you is...
Can someone list me the "Pros and Cons" of the game? And if it's worth buying?
Oh, it's worth buying for sure. It takes what Phantom Hourglass did, and improves it a lot. If you liked Phantom Hourglass, you'll likely love Spirit Tracks even more.

Pros:

- Great soundtrack.
- There is a great difficulty curve, so that it starts off easy and gets progressively harder.
- The story is immersive from the very beginning, and the overall script is great.
- The Tower of Spirits, the equivalent of the Temple of the Ocean King, has different segments, so that you never have to repeat what you've already done.

Cons:

- It's still easy in comparison to other Zelda games.

There's probably more than that in each category, but those are the basics that occur to me. If anyone has anyone else to add, feel free.

Spire

III
BRoomer
More Pros and Cons.

Pros:

- The game is not too long and provides enough umph for great replay value. I've never wanted to immediately replay a Zelda game after beating it, but ST gave me that feeling.
- The design of Hyrule is magnificent. I think it may be my absolute favorite so far in the series.
- The boss fights are the best in the handheld Zelda world ever. Every single fight is enjoyable.
- The enemies draw inspiration from across the entire franchise.
- Only read this if you're desperate to be convinced:
you can drive the train underwater.
- Bountiful sidequests, some of which require some dire effort.
- A good handful of secret locations available only by meeting certain standards.
- Much more difficult to acquire train parts - requires you to really work for them which is worth it.
- Multiplayer mode is more robust and includes the ability to trade collection items.

Cons:

- Not a whole lot of diversity to the side quests.
-
Only half of your inventory is composed of new items; the other half, while new, is similar to past items in the series.
- Presence of
the Anouki.

@ Firus - Tower of Spirits, not Spirit Temple. Though, it would still make sense to call it that.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
More Pros and Cons.

Pros:

- The game is not too long and provides enough umph for great replay value. I've never wanted to immediately replay a Zelda game after beating it, but ST gave me that feeling.
- The design of Hyrule is magnificent. I think it may be my absolute favorite so far in the series.
- The boss fights are the best in the handheld Zelda world ever. Every single fight is enjoyable.
- The enemies draw inspiration from across the entire franchise.
- Only read this if you're desperate to be convinced:
you can drive the train underwater.
- Bountiful sidequests, some of which require some dire effort.
- A good handful of secret locations available only by meeting certain standards.
- Much more difficult to acquire train parts - requires you to really work for them which is worth it.
- Multiplayer mode is more robust and includes the ability to trade collection items.

Cons:

- Not a whole lot of diversity to the side quests.
-
Only half of your inventory is composed of new items; the other half, while new, is similar to past items in the series.
- Presence of
the Anouki.
You did a much better job with the list. Thanks for adding to mine. I had considerable trouble putting exactly what I was thinking into words.

@ Firus - Tower of Spirits, not Spirit Temple. Though, it would still make sense to call it that.
Yeah, I guess I was thinking of the Temple of the Ocean King in relation to that so I wanted to put "Temple" in there. My bad.

S

smash brawl player 99021

I think you guys have me hooked :p

One more rather important question...I love Linebeck. He's there isn't he?!

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I think you guys have me hooked :p

One more rather important question...I love Linebeck. He's there isn't he?!
If you really want to know (but if you're already convinced, you may want to find out for yourself in-game if he's there or not):

Yes, he is.

S

smash brawl player 99021

Woo! I loved Linebeck :)
He was a pro. I'm asking for either this or a PS3 for X-Mas now. this game is the most realistic choice of course. Anyway, if I get it, Ill give you my opinion...

Spire

III
BRoomer
Woo! I loved Linebeck :)
He was a pro. I'm asking for either this or a PS3 for X-Mas now. this game is the most realistic choice of course. Anyway, if I get it, Ill give you my opinion...
I like how you kind of set up a "Spirit Tracks = PS3" situation.
The gameplay is amazing well set. Mixed with PH/OoT/MM mostly from what i can recall
Exactly my feelings. There are numerous concepts borrowed from OoT and MM which I just adore.

S

smash brawl player 99021

I like how you kind of set up a "Spirit Tracks = PS3" situation.

Even if I did it would be a compliment ;) but my bad.

How's the train gameplay anyway? As good as the ship or...not so much?

Top Bottom